Q5 immediately sounds like it's only Half the phone that the Q10 is. Unfortunate naming. They should have given it a completely different label.

To me, they are different. But functionally, equals. Q5...... no silver frets, but no double typing. (I'll skip the silver frets on that tradeoff).

I got burned on the Q10... blessed on the Q5.

If BlackBerry does an upgrade, Q5 has my vote any day of the week.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 07:22 PM
    I guess the Q was for qwerty.

Spec and finish material wise, the Q5 is lower grade than the Q10, so I don't mind the branding. While it is cheaper looking, it is proving to be more durable than that double typing q10. A case or skin should be put on it to make it less slippery.

I like the q5. I bought 4 of them, including one for my daughter and my elderly parents. I think that BlackBerry should continue to produce it, perhaps with their modular 1.5 ghz cpu ( if it will fit) and sell it cheaply and make it widely available in many colours and brand it as a Q8.

Posted via CB10
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    06-06-15 08:33 AM
    Q5 is the only BB10 qwerty device with no double typing so it automatically wins.

But God, what were they thinking with the build materials? That cheap plastic backing just displays the hell out of any fingerprints or grease. I understand they needed to make it cheaper, but don't forget, the Q5 was like $500 new when released.

Hmm, stuff like that really brings clarity as to why BB10 failed.

Posted via CB10
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    06-06-15 09:31 AM
    Q5 is the only BB10 qwerty device with no double typing so it automatically wins.

But God, what were they thinking with the build materials? That cheap plastic backing just displays the hell out of any fingerprints or grease. I understand they needed to make it cheaper, but don't forget, the Q5 was like $500 new when released.

Posted via CB10
    Well, the pricing was the issue. In theory it should have been pushed with the same pricing strategy as the Leap (likely lower), but that would have required whatever manufacturing deal they have for the Leap/Z3 to have existed back then.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-15 09:36 AM

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. But as soon as you put a soft skin on it, the issue goes away. The plasticy look is prevalent on the black one. The pink and red ones look way better, but in BlackBerry's infinite marketing wisdom, their availability was slim to none. Got a pink one from shop BlackBerry and it is a nice looking device that could have sold better with more effort.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-15 03:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    Actually that's pretty accurate. I had a q5 more than a year back and I sold it in 2 weeks of usage because the built quality felt so cheap and the silicon casing made it feel even cheaper. I recently got a q10 and released BB10 is actually pretty cool but after using the q5, I didn't even think of coming back to the BB10.
    06-06-15 03:56 PM
    I'm actually glad in a way that BB is giving names to devices now instead of numbering.

I think that BlackBerry should continue to produce it, perhaps with their modular 1.5 ghz cpu ( if it will fit) and sell it cheaply and make it widely available in many colours and brand it as a Q8.
    I think it may already have that cpu, just underclocked but if it could have the Passport capacitive touch feature of the keyboard I'd be all over it!
    06-08-15 07:06 AM