I just noticed that they put the BlackBerry name in between the keyboard and screen! Isn't this bad to add extra space there?

You want the screen as close to the kb as possible for the swiping features don't you (like with the Q10)?

Q5 design disadvantage?-q5vsq10-620x410.jpg
    05-31-13 01:05 PM
    I believe there is bezel space on the Q10 also

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 01:29 PM
    There's a really slim space on the Q10 but it's negligible. It basically goes from the kb to screen on the Q10, where it's about 1cm of dead space on the Q5.
    05-31-13 01:49 PM
    Actually most people consider the Q5 design superior compared to the Q10. I don't know if you have actually used a Q10 on a regular basis, but the small amount of space between keyboard and screen can be a bit complicated at times. Peek and flow gestures sometimes do not get noticed by the device and you have to try again. Also some users complain about minimizing an application during fast scrolling. With the additional space below, this problem might get solved.
    05-31-13 04:56 PM
    I don't really like the bezel of the Q5 but I can understand the need for it, I myself know the nearly nonexistant bezel on the Q10 can be a pain but nothing to really complain about.
    05-31-13 06:11 PM
    You guys sure about that? Can someone with a Q10 chime in here?

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 01:06 AM
    Actually most people consider the Q5 design superior compared to the Q10. I don't know if you have actually used a Q10 on a regular basis, but the small amount of space between keyboard and screen can be a bit complicated at times. Peek and flow gestures sometimes do not get noticed by the device and you have to try again. Also some users complain about minimizing an application during fast scrolling. With the additional space below, this problem might get solved.
    Agreed. The bigger bezel under the screen should make the swiping gestures easier than the Q10 and similar to the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 01:21 AM
    I have seen in many videos where the user struggles with the gesture in Q10 due to the lack of bigger bezel like Q5 or Z10. The user minimises the application by mistake. I don't understand why BBRY hardware designs are not consistent.
    06-01-13 01:26 AM
    You guys sure about that? Can someone with a Q10 chime in here?

Posted via CB10
    Well I have a Q10 since about three weeks, so I guess I should know what I'm talking about. By saying "sometimes" those gestures won't get noticed, I am talking about maybe once out of ten tries. It also depends a bit on how you're actually holding the Q10.

Adam Zeis of Crackberry just wrote his one month with the Q10 experience yesterday, even he admitted unwanted minimizing gestures during fast scrolling can happen. I have to say this happens to me by far less than the mentioned, missed gestures.

I have seen in many videos where the user struggles with the gesture in Q10 due to the lack of bigger bezel like Q5 or Z10. The user minimises the application by mistake. I don't understand why BBRY hardware designs are not consistent.
    Maybe it was too late to change the Q10 design after all? While there was still time left for some design changes with the Q5.
    06-01-13 01:35 AM

Would you prefer that they never learned from their mistakes?
    06-01-13 01:41 AM
    Its fine...BBRY is getting better with their phones...and the best part is they are constantly changing rather than being adamant and resistant to change....

Posted via the awesome z10 using CB10
    06-01-13 12:22 PM
    I think it's a design improvement over the Q10. Having the larger bezel definitely makes the gestures easier
    06-01-13 08:53 PM
    Think that will become a standard for Qwerty devices...even if its imo less beautiful

Both Q10 (bezel space) and Z10 (768 vs 720) are non consistent devices

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 09:45 PM
    Q5 reminds me of my beloved Palm Pixi. Proper bezel on top and bottom is a must if you have swipes from off the screen so Q5 nailed it.
    Just from the lack of the bezel on Q10 you can say that its and old recycled design that they couldn't afford to tweak. If you look closely to Q10 to move the bezel from top back to the bottom they would have to extend the phone's height cause screen corners would be cutting into phone's rounded corners really bad or they would have to change the angle of rounded corners, so it is definitely not a light tweak. It changes everything and it would be going back to the drawing board.

I highly doubt that designers familiar with BB10 would still design Q10 with thick bezel on top instead of bottom like it turned out currently unless they went with the conscious trade off like design over purpose.
    06-02-13 03:28 AM
    Think that will become a standard for Qwerty devices...even if its imo less beautiful

I actually think they could shave quite a bit of space from the top of either the Q5 or Q10, if they really wanted to. That would improve the looks quite a bit if they had to provide a larger area at the bottom for gestures.

For example, they could put the speaker lower or at the back and use a duct to pipe the audio out near the top of the device, saving above-panel space. They could put the LED and proximity sensor right at the edge of the display. The front camera might be a bit more of a challenge.

Though personally I'd really love getting the trackpad back. Placing the cursor with the current on-screen tools is a chore to say the least.
    06-02-13 04:10 AM
    I too believe it's a design improvement...

Posted via CB10
    06-02-13 09:59 AM
    I got used to the thin bezel on my Q10 and rarely if ever have any issues with that anymore

Posted via Q10
    06-05-13 02:37 PM