I came across two references today about the Q5 being discontinued and no longer available. The first was on the B&H retail site and the other was a UK site, Clove Technology.
    02-24-15 02:06 PM
    It's still listed for sale on both Canadian & American ShopBlackBerry.com sites, however only in white. I've seen several Canadian carriers still offering it too.
    02-24-15 02:21 PM
    I came across two references today about the Q5 being discontinued and no longer available. The first was on the B&H retail site and the other was a UK site, Clove Technology.
    Pretty sure the Q5, Q10 and Z10 are all out of production and are quietly being removed by carriers as they run out of stock. Here in the US I think Verizon must have had a pretty big order of CDMA devices.... but the Q5 was never a part of Verizon's lineup.

Just not sure about the Z30... I assume it is still in production.
    02-24-15 02:24 PM
    FutureShop in Canada still lists the Q5 on their web site for $129, but says it's sold out. It was on for $99 a while back. A pretty good sign that the remaining stock was being cleared out.
    02-25-15 09:52 AM
    It's still listed for sale on both Canadian & American ShopBlackBerry.com sites, however only in white. I've seen several Canadian carriers still offering it too.
    So what I'm hearing is that by current BlackBerry Q5: Black is currently gaining value? Lol *since its no longer avaiable*

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2243
    02-26-15 02:21 AM
    So what I'm hearing is that by current BlackBerry Q5: Black is currently gaining value? Lol *since its no longer avaiable*

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.3.1.2243
    Yes! Q5 is now a bona fide collector's item.

I'd recommend selling now on eBay for a cool $1,000. Strike while the iron is hot!

Maybe I'll pay you a hun for that CB10 signature even...
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    02-26-15 11:05 AM
    I'm tempted to get one of the white ones for $150 and still have concerns about the non-replaceable battery. A lithium battery has a life expectancy of about 2 years, the length of a carrier contract. That's an issue for the increasing number of people who no longer do contracts or don't have employer-provided phones, and something for Blackberry to keep in mind as they bring out new models. Not everyone can afford a new phone every year, and the typical small business owner is usually strapped for cash.
    02-26-15 11:34 AM
    I'm tempted to get one of the white ones for $150 and still have concerns about the non-replaceable battery. A lithium battery has a life expectancy of about 2 years, the length of a carrier contract. That's an issue for the increasing number of people who no longer do contracts or don't have employer-provided phones, and something for Blackberry to keep in mind as they bring out new models. Not everyone can afford a new phone every year, and the typical small business owner is usually strapped for cash.

Thats the unfortunate world we live in, many companies build devices to only last 2 years so that you can purchase another device. This is where blackberry does really "badly" (which is a good thing). My previous 8520 lasted me 3 years simply because after 2 years i replaced the battery and it was a brand new phone again. Its so well made that it lasts you longer. So if i was able to do that with current Blackberries i would. but sadly many of them are "non removable"
    02-26-15 11:46 AM
    I've got an 8320 that's still running with the original battery.
    02-26-15 11:59 AM
    Are you sure about the life expectancy that you're quoting? I had an old LG phone with the original lithium battery for four years and it could hold 2-3 days' charge. Have had the PlayBook for 3 years now, and same thing -- holds a charge as well as the day I bought it.

I own the Q5, too, and feel confident that the battery will hold up for more than 2 years.
    SpartanSK117 likes this.
    02-27-15 06:46 AM
    It's a non-removable battery, not non-replaceable. It is possible to open the device and install a new battery should the original fail.

You probably need Torx screwdrivers and a YouTube instructional video, but we're talking about something that you might do once down the road while you still own the device.
    02-27-15 06:52 AM
    I've been reading up on lithium batteries in general and most sites give the 2 year estimate, assuming Blackberry uses the same battery manufacturers as the other major tech companies.

I'm also seeing references to the batteries losing charging capacity just from sitting on the shelf, about 10% a year; something to consider when buying a phone made in the last 24 months. Also, with new products having only a 2 year life cycle, replacement batteries become harder to find and the stock is aging. This might explain some users' questions about why their phone no longer charges to 100% capacity.
    02-27-15 10:36 AM