I'm looking for a flip type case for my Q5. Love this style of case; the Monaco one for my Z10 is fantastic, but they don't seem to offer the same for the Q5.

The CB store has a great deal on oem cases, but I'm put off by the reviews complaining about the top-clip breaking.
    An alternate is the Melkco case: Amazon.com: Melkco Leather Case for BlackBerry Q5 Special Edition Jacka Type with Sleep Mode Function - (Vintage Black/Vintage Brown) - BBBBQ5LCJS1BKBNIT: Cell Phones & Accessories

Same setup as the official case, but the padded top seems to add more protection? They work out to roughly the same price (Melkco is only a couple dollars more).

Any one have any experience with these, or other suggestions?

Thanks!
    11-21-14 03:13 PM
    I have had the flip shell OEM for both q5 and q10 both broke. One cracked in the plastic corner and the other stretched so the clasp became too loose. Too bad because both were slim and professional.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 04:35 PM
    Thanks. I'm surprised as I always trust oem stuff. Would love something with a buckle clasp, but haven't found one yet.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 04:19 PM
    I'm looking for a flip type case for my Q5. Love this style of case; the Monaco one for my Z10 is fantastic, but they don't seem to offer the same for the Q5.

The CB store has a great deal on oem cases, but I'm put off by the reviews complaining about the top-clip breaking.
    An alternate is the Melkco case: Amazon.com: Melkco Leather Case for BlackBerry Q5 Special Edition Jacka Type with Sleep Mode Function - (Vintage Black/Vintage Brown) - BBBBQ5LCJS1BKBNIT: Cell Phones & Accessories

Same setup as the official case, but the padded top seems to add more protection? They work out to roughly the same price (Melkco is only a couple dollars more).

Any one have any experience with these, or other suggestions?

Thanks!
    I have been looking at that same Melkco case on Amazon. Did you go ahead and buy it, and if so, what do you think of it?

Thanks
    02-20-15 10:36 PM
    Believe it or not, this cheapy flip case fits nice and even shows the LED light through the accurately-placed peephole. Also easy to put in / remove from case.

Amazon.com: BlackBerry Leather Flip Shell for BlackBerry Q5 - White: Cell Phones & Accessories
    02-21-15 12:14 AM
    Believe it or not, this cheapy flip case fits nice and even shows the LED light through the accurately-placed peephole. Also easy to put in / remove from case.

Amazon.com: BlackBerry Leather Flip Shell for BlackBerry Q5 - White: Cell Phones & Accessories
    This one looks exactly like the one they sell here on Crackberry. I would probably try one of those if I could get black instead of white. The color is why I started looking at the Melko cases.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 07:11 AM
    When i posted this i thought they also came in black but i see they dont. My phones white and it looks so fine ; )
    02-21-15 10:37 AM
    Flip cases for Q5 cases?-img_20150224_160250.jpg
    Flip cases for Q5 cases?-img_20150224_160234.jpg

I went ahead and got the Melko flip case from Amazon. It turned out really nice. Fits good and nice soft leather. Puts the phone to sleep when it's closed.

Posted via CB10
    SpartanSK117 likes this.
    02-26-15 05:30 PM
    Looks really nice.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 05:40 PM
    Looks really nice.

Posted via CB10
    Just hoping I don't have the same problem you had with the OEM with the plastic breaking. But it seems good for now. Happy with my purchase.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 05:52 PM
    Agreed. I have a PDAIR flip case for my Q10 which also has the plastic frame that holds the phone, and it is fine so far after about a year. It's around the same price point of the one you bought. It's a less brittle type of plastic than the BlackBerry OEM cases. Hopefully you'll have good results with yours. It looks like the most premium Q5 case out there based on what I've seen on the searches I've done.

Good luck with it. I might get one as well.

My wife had a OEM book type case for her Z10 at the time and 2 such cases developed cracked plastic frames on one of the corners. Same as my Q5 flip that I mentioned before. Obviously a design /manufacturing flaw.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 08:11 PM
    I apologize for not noticing the follow up posts, but for what it is worth I picked up the Melko case and the white OEM one for someone else's phone. My observations:
    - The Melko case is better quality, and has held up well in the several months I've had it. No signs of wear yet.
    - The oem case is exactly as described by others: the lid gets "loose" and barely stays closed on its own. It is definitely not the same quality as the Melko one, and IMO definitely worth paying more for Melko.

I paid around $4 for the oem case and $14 for the Melko one. It was worth every penny.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 10:34 PM