Hello former Blackberry fan here. I've recently decided to come back to blackberry but I can't decide which phone to get. I've been looking at the Q5 and Z10 because they are both around the same price point now. I do a lot of texting, and social networking on my phones, which one would be better for that? I was thinking the Q5 because of the physical keyboard, but hows the keyboard on the Z10? I also game quite a bit on my phone so hows the gaming on the Q5? I know it would be better on a bigger screen but is the Q5 just as fast for gaming? I've done quite a bit of research between the two devices and have learnt that they're both quite fast and snappy, so I'm not to concerned about the speed of them. So, any suggestions on which one to get?
    11-27-13 10:30 AM
    Hmmmm...i think that the only difference is the physical keyboard. Even if you're used to a touch screen, the Z10 takes getting used to. But after the pain of learning, it looks and feels great!

Posted via CB10 on an awesome Z10!
    11-27-13 10:35 AM
    I think the answer depends on what you are using now and what you expect from your new device.

For instance, I've been a BlackBerry Bold (9000, 9700, 9780, 9790, 9900) user since 2009. Z10, after all these devices, was hard for me to get used to since it has a touch screen keyboard. So, I traded my Z10 for a Q10 after two months.

What are your priorities?

Tan Okan Q10
    11-27-13 10:42 AM
    The Z10 does have a better processor and the screen is good for gaming. I've used physical keyboards my whole life until the Z10. I like the keyboard on the Z10 so much that I wouldn't go back to a physical keyboard now.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 10:46 AM
    I do a lot of texting ... I also game quite a bit...
    For texting, you can't beat a physical keyboard a Q5 will give you (even though BB virtual keyboards are considered best-in-industry). But you'll be somewhat let-down in the games department, not only by the smaller screen, but by the odd game that won't work on the Q5 - I've experienced this on the Q10 a few times now, when in the Blackberry App Store, "not available for your device."

It comes down to what you think you'll do more: if text input is the priority, Q5. If gaming is the priority, Z10 (but even then, as mentioned, the Z10s virtual keyboard does well).

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!
    11-27-13 11:21 AM
    Texting is prioritiy. That's what I was thinking the physical keyboard would be much better. I'm thinking the Q5. Thanks guys!
    loyalIND and tan_okan like this.
    11-27-13 11:34 AM
    Texting is prioritiy. That's what I was thinking the physical keyboard would be much better. I'm thinking the Q5. Thanks guys!
    Just wanted to add that you will most probably get used to a touchscreen keyboard, especially the one on the Z10. You will, however, NEVER get the games that are made available only for the Z10 and Z30, and not for the Q5 and Q10.

That being said, the Q5 is still a brilliant phone and I love the battery. Much better than the Z10.

All the best!
    11-27-13 11:58 AM
    Keep in mind q5 has 8gb vs 16gb of memory on the z10. Both have a micro SD card slot so it may not be a biggie for you.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-13 09:49 AM
    I'm not sure what device you are coming from, maybe I missed that.
    But if you are coming from a device that had a virtual keyboard, I would definitely say go for the Z10.
    The typing experience on here is really fantastic and not comparable to any of the other OS'S.
    If you didn't come from a vkb, it may take a small adjustment period but you'll be good to go after a very short time.

In my opinion BlackBerry has really delivered on their virtual keyboard, to as much of an extent as possible I really believe they have brought the BlackBerry physical keyboard experience to a full touch device.
    Either way, you can't go wrong

Posted via CB10 from my Z10
    11-29-13 10:23 AM
    I don't believe the Q5 has an HDMI port. The Z10 does and it expands what the phone can do by so much!!!! It makes renting movies or watching any video from any app (Youtube, Crackle, and side loaded Netflix) so easy on your big screen TV. Definately a game changer having the Z10 with HDMI!
    11-29-13 10:31 PM
    It is the never ending story. When using the Z (10 or 30, doesn't matter), you might miss the physical keyboard. When using the Q, you might miss the large screen. I have not resolved this conflict for myself and constantly migrate from a Q5 to a Z30 and back. Sometimes I carry both with me, the SIMmed Q and the Z for browsing via WiFi. It kinda drives me crazy. At the moment, I have a slight tendency towards the Q as my productive device, because it provides the following convenience features, besides typing:

• type'n go from home screen, ie looking for something, shortcuts to email, texting, Google, creating notes etc. without having to tap the magnifier, opening an app or go to the hub.
    • phone dial shortcuts to call somebody by pressing & holding a key (10.2.1.xxx or higher only, a phantastic productivity enhancement)
    • ability to grab & hold the phone more firmly, not having to touch it as carefully as a touchscreen only phone (sounds not like a big deal but makes a big diffeence for me)
    • displaying the lock screen by simply pressing one of the numbers keys on the left side of the KB
    • although the Z keyboards are unmatched in the touchscreen world, typing accuracy still being higher on the QWERTY, reducing the need to checkread, select & correct text (but missing the swipe backwards to delete last 1 or 2 words on touch keyboard).
    • shortcuts in apps like S for search, T for top, B for bottom etc.

But as I sit here and write this (on my computer), I look at my Z30's wonderful large screen and think maybe I should make it my productive device again......?
    Damn.
    11-30-13 02:30 PM
    I am using Q5 right now, initially i was EXTREMELY confused between Q10 and Q5 but because the Q10 is priced too high, i ended up buying Q5 and trust me theres not much difference between Q10 and Q5, the only difference is of the design , camera and a bit of cpu other thn that everything is just abt same however the design and look of Q10 is B E A U T I FU L and that probably was my only reason to get a Q10 but like i said i ended up with Q5 and i am loving it, Amazing phone, fits in hands perfectly, lightening fast thanks to the 2gb ram, extremely responsive touch, very good camera, the pictures come out brilliant on a computer, and a brilliant keyboard, all in all in my opinion its an amazing business phone , it DOES NOT , I repeat IT DOES NOT feel cheap at all as some people here have been saying that the q5 is plasticky and cheap, it is plasticky but very nicely made.
    12-01-13 10:04 AM
    I am using Q5 right now, initially i was EXTREMELY confused between Q10 and Q5 but because the Q10 is priced too high, i ended up buying Q5 and trust me theres not much difference between Q10 and Q5, the only difference is of the design , camera and a bit of cpu other thn that everything is just abt same however the design and look of Q10 is B E A U T I FU L and that probably was my only reason to get a Q10 but like i said i ended up with Q5 and i am loving it, Amazing phone, fits in hands perfectly, lightening fast thanks to the 2gb ram, extremely responsive touch, very good camera, the pictures come out brilliant on a computer, and a brilliant keyboard, all in all in my opinion its an amazing business phone , it DOES NOT , I repeat IT DOES NOT feel cheap at all as some people here have been saying that the q5 is plasticky and cheap, it is plasticky but very nicely made.
    Question, does the sticker, or whatever it has on the back, come off? I've been eye-balling the Q5 for a while (reminds me of my old Curve 8520) but don't like the look of that sticker on the back.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using CB Forums mobile app
    12-01-13 10:07 PM
    The black CE sticker? if thats wat ur talking abt, yes it does.
    JRF_1986 likes this.
    12-02-13 12:58 AM
    I was going to say the Z10 is the better purchase... but I guess he already made up his mind.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Dave Bourque; 12-02-13 at 01:17 AM.
    12-02-13 01:02 AM
    Both are great for texting. While some prefer the physical keyboard the bb10 on screen keyboard is unrivaled and you'll get by fine. For gaming, hands down the z10 - - better guts and a bigger screen.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    12-02-13 01:06 AM
    The q5 also lasts longer on battery life.... if you like to text a lot, an be on social networks...the extra juice will help you
    12-02-13 01:38 AM
    I have just switched from the Z10 because I really don't like the virtual keyboard on the Z10! For some people it is really great but I always use Social Networks and I bbm a lot so the Z10 wasn't the device for me! I'm really loving the physical keyboard on my Q10

If it was me and I had to pick between those 2 devices, I would personally go with the Q5

Posted via CB10 using my amazing BlackBerry Q10
    12-02-13 03:16 AM
    Get the q5 and an ipod or something.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 03:21 AM
    The black CE sticker? if thats wat ur talking abt, yes it does.
    Yes, that's the one! Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 08:28 AM
    I'd honestly say go with the z10. For me it all comes down to the screen. Pretty much all new content comes in wide screen format so things just work and look better on that kind of screen. The on screen keyboard is the best on any device I've used.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 11:55 AM
    You can type and go on the home screen on the Z10, as on a Q5. I do this and works....point being?

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 09:37 PM
    That's why the magnifying glass symbol is on the front of the Z10 when you open your browser......or is this too much to do now, lol???

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 09:39 PM
    Q5 all the way, but I'm biased maybe just a little.
    Actually to further complicate things I'm gonna buy a z as soon as I find one unlocked for a good price!

Posted via my Q5 and loving 10.2.1.1055
    12-05-13 09:48 PM
    I too have both a Z10 and a Q5. Love them both equally. Superb devices for productivity and communication. Bar none.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 10:12 PM