Yesterday I switched from WiFi to mobile on my Q5 as I was leaving my house. Shortly after I did so, my phone went into a boot loop, flashing the BlackBerry logo for a minute, then rebooting ad infinitum.

I noticed the screen brightened right before a reboot. At that point I held vol up and down, which seemed to break the loop, and my phone booted normally again at that point.

It's concerning, though. Has anyone experienced this? Hoping it's a one off but wanted to reach out here. I'm on the latest 10.3.2 (save the ART).

Posted via CB10
    01-13-16 01:26 PM
    I'd keep an eye on it for a while but I'm sure it was just a one off.

"A cow pie ain't something you bring to the county fair "
    01-13-16 06:05 PM
    Thanks, Johnny.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-16 06:41 PM
    Sadly, it happened again yesterday. I couldn't seem to get my phone out of the loop, so put it on the charger overnight last night. This morning, I was just seeing the blinking red light (1 long, 2 short, I believe?)

Plugged the phone into a USB port on my laptop. Still observed the loop, but I also saw a red battery indicator (empty battery, even though I had 80% or so before the bootloop began). Anyways, I read a few threads and decided to try to reload the OS using an autoloader. No dice -- kept getting "device disappeared" or "USB unreachable" errors.

Currently, have it on the charger again (different charger, just to try something new). Now the red light is blinking slowly.

Not completely out of hope, but maybe I should be? Has anyone experienced this before and (fingers crossed) fixed the problem?
    02-10-16 09:17 AM
    The results of me attempting the autoloader install again:

Boot loop on Q5-autoload-attempt.png

(Drivers are installed and cable appears to be fine. Help?)
    02-10-16 10:22 AM
    Wow this is serious. Can you swap out cables just to be sure? Also when you say the drivers are installed, can your computer see the phone with its external drives.. usually X and Y?

Sounds like it could be some serious hardware issue? Check the CB forums re:debricking methods if the above doesn't help. Good luck!

Edit: I just reread your first post. You have no ART installed? Just a guess that this could be causing you problems.. ie: loading the images in the autoloader?

From my Tower of Power Q5
    02-10-16 11:25 AM
    Re: this being serious, that's what I was worried about.

Sorry, to be clear: I had the latest OS but downgraded the runtime (to fix the issue where Android apps weren't truly uninstalled).

I'll check out other debricking threads. Thanks for your reply, Johnny. Really hope I can revive my beloved Q5!
    02-10-16 12:07 PM
    Tried other cables and a different laptop, too -- same results. :/
    02-10-16 12:08 PM
    Well, it's hard to summarize what I've tried so far -- I'm trying just about everything, now that I have nothing to lose! (Short of taking the Q5 apart...for now.)

I'm now in the wonderful (ha) world if SIC multiwipe, CFP nuke, etc. :/

I've also gone back and forth between plugging in to a USB port and via AC adapter to an outlet. I dunno if it's false hope, but "something" is happening. The red LED now shows a green at the end before it flashes back. I also had the BB logo appearing again when I had the phone plugged into USB.

This might be a fool's errand but I'm pressing on. This type of troubleshooting does funny stuff to the mind.
    02-10-16 03:01 PM
    Godspeed mh1983

anon(5597702) likes this.
    02-10-16 05:30 PM
    Johnny, I think your well-wishes were heard by the troubleshooting gods!

I got to the point of prying off the back of the phone to see if I could check out the battery connection. Before I went further, I realized I hadn't tried troubleshooting the phone on my secondary laptop.

Well, I don't want to jump the gun, but on that laptop, I was able to get through a full round of SIC multiwipe. Encouraged, I tried to open Link. To my surprise, the phone was detected (though with a communications error), and it gave me the option to load factory settings. At the moment, link is downloading the latest OS -- 22% and counting!

Hopefully I'm not jinxing things, but this is looking promising! As soon as the download started, I immediately stepped away from the keyboard. So glad I didn't tinker with the back/insides any further.

Will keep you posted! Hopefully I'll be the proud owner of a zombie Q5. And thanks for the positive vibes, Johnny -- appreciate it.
    02-11-16 02:31 PM
    Patiently waiting!

Posted via CB10
    02-11-16 03:01 PM
    Fingers crossed!

02-11-16 03:07 PM
    Well, the Link update seemed to go through but it hung at "connecting to device". However, I had a 10.3.2 autoloader from before, so I ran that and it seemed to install correctly. However, and here's the weird part -- now there's no screen display whatsoever, even though the device appears to be on (the keyboard lights up when I type, for example). I I feel like I solved one (major) problem and caused another one.
    02-11-16 04:38 PM
    Well, the Link update seemed to go through but it hung at "connecting to device". However, I had a 10.3.2 autoloader from before, so I ran that and it seemed to install correctly. However, and here's the weird part -- now there's no screen display whatsoever, even though the device appears to be on (the keyboard lights up when I type, for example). I I feel like I solved one (major) problem and caused another one.
    Run another 10.3.2 autoloader?

02-11-16 08:40 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion. No dice, sadly. It installed correctly, but still no display. Loose connector, perhaps?
    02-12-16 07:24 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion. No dice, sadly. It installed correctly, but still no display. Loose connector, perhaps?
    Yes it could be, but if it was me I wouldn't be tinkering with the guts of it too much. McGiver I'm not! Lol. I guess it depends on your level of electronics expertise. Do you have a spare phone to use so that you could take the Q5 in for repair? It would be sad to lose a good phone over something potentially simple. Reason why I have a spare Q5! Lol.

Well good luck and post whatever you do.

anon(5597702) likes this.
    02-12-16 08:30 AM
    Just an update:

I've been using an old Android phone as my backup. Missing my Q5, for sure!

Awhile back, I ordered a torx screwdriver and it just arrived. I took the plunge and took my Q5 apart to see what's going on.

I think I see why the screen's not turning on any more.

Boot loop on Q5-20160406_124052889-1-.jpg

Looks like that connector is toast. At least, I can't get the smaller connector from the screen to "take" in the motherboard connector. Quite disappointing. Posting here in case I have any other options, but I think it's the end of the road for my beloved Q5.

Just wanted to post an update. Back to Android (eugh) for now until I can find a decent BB10 replacement -- possibly a Q5 but I'm considering a Q10. Entered the Passport contest too.

Thanks for your help/following along at home!
    04-06-16 12:11 PM
    The connector from the screen, too:

Boot loop on Q5-20160406_131406068.jpg
    04-06-16 12:16 PM
    If you're looking to get a new Q5, PM Johnny Dollar.
    04-06-16 12:33 PM