Hello,

My Blackberry Q5 won�t charge or turn on. It has been one month and I can�t get it to boot.

When it�s plugged, there�s a green light that blinks every 30 seconds and that continues just forever. If I leave it charging long enough (about half a day), a red light appears. It stays for a few seconds, then green comes for 30 seconds again, and so on, red-green-red-green� And nothing happens. If I unplug the charger during the red light, the phone will try to boot. Blackberry logo appears on the screen, then the empty red battery symbol, and it will turn off, then try to reboot again, and this goes on for a while until the phone loses all energy. If I try to plug it when the red battery sign is on screen, it instantly turns off and the green light appears again just like before. I didn�t manage to get any progress from this point.

* Holding the power button does nothing
    * Holding the volume keys (hard reset) does nothing
    * I tried leaving it to charge for three whole days � nothing new happens
    * I am using Samsung rapid charger (2V). It�s new, since the previous one was only 1V. I can�t get a Blackberry one where I live
    * Since it never turns on, computer doesn�t connect to it
    * It�s not within a warranty anymore

Please help, is there anything else I can do to make it boot or charge? There are some important things inside that I don�t want to lose.
    11-13-16 08:46 AM
    Look for someone to replace your battery?

Posted via CB10
    11-13-16 08:49 AM
    Hello,

My Blackberry Q5 won�t charge or turn on. It has been one month and I can�t get it to boot.

When it�s plugged, there�s a green light that blinks every 30 seconds and that continues just forever. If I leave it charging long enough (about half a day), a red light appears. It stays for a few seconds, then green comes for 30 seconds again, and so on, red-green-red-green� And nothing happens. If I unplug the charger during the red light, the phone will try to boot. Blackberry logo appears on the screen, then the empty red battery symbol, and it will turn off, then try to reboot again, and this goes on for a while until the phone loses all energy. If I try to plug it when the red battery sign is on screen, it instantly turns off and the green light appears again just like before. I didn�t manage to get any progress from this point.

* Holding the power button does nothing
    * Holding the volume keys (hard reset) does nothing
    * I tried leaving it to charge for three whole days � nothing new happens
    * I am using Samsung rapid charger (2V). It�s new, since the previous one was only 1V. I can�t get a Blackberry one where I live
    * Since it never turns on, computer doesn�t connect to it
    * It�s not within a warranty anymore

Please help, is there anything else I can do to make it boot or charge? There are some important things inside that I don�t want to lose.
    Try removing the SIM Card and the Micro SD Card and plug it into a different charger. Does it charge?

Posted via CB10
    11-14-16 06:20 PM
    Look for someone to replace your battery?

Posted via CB10
    Second this ... taking the battery out of a Q5 can be extremely difficult though
    11-15-16 02:29 AM
    Replace your battery... I had the same problem once before too
    11-15-16 04:27 AM
    Removing both SIM and Micro SD cards did nothing... I guess getting the battery replaced is the only option left.
    11-17-16 05:48 AM
    In general, getting a battery to take a charge once it is below a certain point is difficult. There is only an initial charge after which lights may blink but no charging goes on.

I tried the following technique which is similar to recharging a PlayBook that is discharged below the minimum charge for a proper continuous charging to occur.

I connected the charger to the USB port for as long as the red light remained on which is a few seconds. Once off, I disconnected. There may be a green flash and another red that show after, but I just waited until they stopped and then reconnected. After about twenty or so cycles, the Q5 boots, shows the drained battery symbol with a charge symbol inside and the orange flashing light starts while the screen goes out. It did stop charging after a few yellow flashes and went back to the red. I just restarted the cycle and eventually the yellow flashes (charging) did go on for longer. After a few minutes of yellow flashing, the Q5 booted normally. The battery monitor showed about 8% and I simply kept the charger on until eventually I was back at 100%
    03-31-17 08:08 PM
    Absolutely true. I overdischarged my ecig the other day, and it took about 8 hours of charging on 2.5 amps for it fully charge - the first four hours, it didn't move much at all.

There's lots of issues that can cause charging problems unfortunately. Some are connected to lithium batteries, some to the cable and usb 2 mico port, and others yet still to the charging circuitry in the device.

I'll try to list a few

1) Microusb port. These almost always become loose, and the ports full of dust. So much so that virtually anyone charging with these over the course of a few years ends up having to prop the cable at a specific angle to get it to charge. The pins on the cables also become flattened, and the cables themselves can become worn, or be of low quality. When having charging problems pretty much first thing to try is multiple chargers and multiple cables. You can also use a shaved toothpick to clean the port and lift the cable pins.

2) Battery. Batteries overdrained take more "push" to charge. Similar to an initial charge. Longer time, more amps. Dead batteries can also be revived believed it or not, by freezing in a air tight container for 24 hours. Difficult in the age of built in batteries and sort of last ditch.

3) Charging mechanism. Sometimes the circuitry on the charger goes bunk. This can be circumvented by all sorts of weird methods, or other times, is just plain broken (and can't be fixed). I've found with some devices combinations of turning on, and taking the cable in an out, with almost random timing, can trick the charge circuit to kick in, or the device to turn on. Even just cycling plugging in and out, many times, might give it enough charge to power on, at which point the charge circuit is software controlled.

With my old curve, if my device powered off, I would have to literally turn it on, and drop it, at a certain height, at a certain angle, on the carpet to pass BB's old weird battery security check (and my battery was legit too).
    04-01-17 04:04 AM