So people can use the phone in the classic way. Or maybe have each gesture feature as an option so you can use whichever features you like and disable the ones you don't.

Yes bb10 is gesture based but maybe some of the programmers here can weigh in on how difficult it is to do something like this.

A while back I suggest a bbos8 or bb11 operating system not something completely brand new but something that takes advantage of gestures and buttons.
    04-16-14 05:50 PM
    Why would you want to remove them? With the trackpad, you can probably do without them, but don't remove them for those of us who like to use them... Basically if you personally don't like them don't use them.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-16-14 06:24 PM
    Why would you want to remove them? With the trackpad, you can probably do without them, but don't remove them for those of us who like to use them... Basically if you personally don't like them don't use them.

He said "as an option" which I don't think is a bad idea..
    Say you're scrolling up on the trackpad and you accidentally touch the screen, it initiates a peek gesture and minimises the app (bad experience)

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-10.2.1.2102
    04-16-14 06:34 PM
    He said "as an option" which I don't think is a bad idea..
    Say you're scrolling up on the trackpad and you accidentally touch the screen, it initiates a peek gesture and minimises the app (bad experience)

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-10.2.1.2102
    Ah ok, I guess as an option is all good, missed that line. I've never accidentally touched the screen while using the trackpad on my 9900 so I don't think I'll have an issue with the Q20.

04-16-14 06:38 PM
    I'm just saying some people want the experience to be nearly identical to a bold, but running bb10 and better hardware and the hdmi ports too. These people would like not even want gestures so options are good.
    04-16-14 08:41 PM
    I'm just saying some people want the experience to be nearly identical to a bold, but running bb10 and better hardware and the hdmi ports too. These people would like not even want gestures so options are good.
    If gestures are verboten, then why would one want to move to an OS deliberately designed to be gesture-based?
    eldricho likes this.
    04-16-14 10:05 PM
    I think that the usability of the OS on the Q20 should in some ways train and help move users to a complete gesture based BB10 phone in the future.
    I agree with the option idea but there needs to be a limit that is somehow forcing legacy 'Belt' lovers to covert to the great gesture based OS we as BB10 owners are all so used to now.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 10:24 PM
    I always find it interesting that some people think others should be forced, when there is no reason to. And if gestures were so great bb10 wouldn't be tanking. Another thread suggested the ability to turn off the touch part of the touch screen on kB phones with belts. I had a HTC touch for a year, a storm2 for two years, a 9900 the day it came out, till I got my Z10 the week it came out .so I've been a regular user of touch screens for years and on a daily bases I touch the screen at least once by mistake and have to correct it. So I can see why some people would like to turn it off if they don't use it.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 04:30 PM
    I just hope it can be navigated the same as BB7.

If gestures are verboten, then why would one want to move to an OS deliberately designed to be gesture-based?
    How is the OS designed to be "gesture-based"? I think you're thinking of user interface, which is adaptable.

The whole purpose of developing BB10 was to start a new platform with great potential, not simply as a visual gimmick.
    04-17-14 08:13 PM
    I always find it interesting that some people think others should be forced, when there is no reason to. And if gestures were so great bb10 wouldn't be tanking. Another thread suggested the ability to turn off the touch part of the touch screen on kB phones with belts. I had a HTC touch for a year, a storm2 for two years, a 9900 the day it came out, till I got my Z10 the week it came out .so I've been a regular user of touch screens for years and on a daily bases I touch the screen at least once by mistake and have to correct it. So I can see why some people would like to turn it off if they don't use it.

Posted via CB10
    BB isn't doing well and it has little to do with the gestures and more to do with public sentiment, marketing, and the way the carriers are turning customers away from them... Most people have never tried a BB10 device before deciding it's not for them, so it has nothing to do with the gestures...

SmileDahling likes this.
    04-17-14 09:55 PM
    I think there is no way Blackberry is going to remove the gestures from the Classic because they built BB10 with gestures in mind. If they remove the gestures this will create two different BB10 operating systems and Blackberry will not waste money doing so. If you don't want to use the gestures, I think the way the Classic is going to be setup is that you will not have to use gestures, as the trackpad can be used to mimic gesture commands.
    04-18-14 09:10 AM
    The gestures were never a problem for me. In fact, I find it useful for Internet browsing. But for email, texts and documents the touchscreen has been a horrendous experience. I do a lot of work with documents and the cut and paste using a touchscreen just doesn't work for me. I have also found that shadows passing over the touchscreen can set things off, even in dim lighting. For the things I use the smartphone for, the touchscreen is an aggravation more often than not.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-14 03:49 PM
    I think that the usability of the OS on the Q20 should in some ways train and help move users to a complete gesture based BB10 phone in the future.
    I agree with the option idea but there needs to be a limit that is somehow forcing legacy 'Belt' lovers to covert to the great gesture based OS we as BB10 owners are all so used to now.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe that explains the motive behind RIM's refusal to include a check box to turn off the 9930's digitizer. I've always suspected they thought us legacy users were just "stupid old hicks" that hang on to track devices out of fear of change and that we must be FORCED to accept the dated technology touch represents. RIM's trackpad is NEWER tech than touch, btw. Trackpad is simply more precise and more efficient than any touch device i've used to date. Including 9 months of Z and 3 months of Q. Maybe the Q20 is aimed at transitioning the iPhone crowd into the NEWER tech of trackpad? lol

If RIM's mission is to attract iPhone customers, they should focus on THAT while doing what ever necessary to retain their legacy users. In other words, they should be seeking to EXPAND their market rather than trying to FORCE existing customers into abandoning BETTER and NEWER technology.
    04-18-14 06:06 PM
    BB isn't doing well and it has little to do with the gestures and more to do with public sentiment, marketing, and the way the carriers are turning customers away from them... Most people have never tried a BB10 device before deciding it's not for them, so it has nothing to do with the gestures...
    No, that's just incorrect. It has a lot to do with gestures, translated as "so unlike BBOS that BBOS users would rather stay on BBOS rather than migrate to BB10". The biggest problem BlackBerry has is the perception that they'll be going out of business so that no matter how good BB10 is, no one will buy a device from a company that's going out of business or is going to sell off their handset business.

So, while the perception of BB's terrible state is the most significant problem in my opinion, the all-gestures UI and the incumbent learning curve does have a lot to do with why Android, iOS and BBOS users haven't embraced BB10. And the app gap.

There should just be an option to totally disable the touchscreen and rely on mouse and keyboard (that is, trackpad operating as a mouse, and the built-in keyboard) which is already mostly supported on BB10 (except in landscape mode) and, on the Q20, there is no "landscape mode" so it's even less of a potential problem. And it won't be a problem because enhancing BB10 to work well with keyboard and mouse and no touchscreen is pretty darn simple, actually.
    04-18-14 06:25 PM
    No, that's just incorrect. It has a lot to do with gestures, translated as "so unlike BBOS that BBOS users would rather stay on BBOS rather than migrate to BB10". The biggest problem BlackBerry has is the perception that they'll be going out of business so that no matter how good BB10 is, no one will buy a device from a company that's going out of business or is going to sell off their handset business.

So, while the perception of BB's terrible state is the most significant problem in my opinion, the all-gestures UI and the incumbent learning curve does have a lot to do with why Android, iOS and BBOS users haven't embraced BB10. And the app gap.

There should just be an option to totally disable the touchscreen and rely on mouse and keyboard (that is, trackpad operating as a mouse, and the built-in keyboard) which is already mostly supported on BB10 (except in landscape mode) and, on the Q20, there is no "landscape mode" so it's even less of a potential problem. And it won't be a problem because enhancing BB10 to work well with keyboard and mouse and no touchscreen is pretty darn simple, actually.
    You realize that even if every BBOS user goes to BB10 the business will still be doing poorly right?? Gestures or not has nothing to do with why BB has such a low market share. I'm sure if you turn off gestures people will be flocking from their iphones and androids right?? Lol :-D

Edit: I would say public perception is the main thing keeping the company down. Most people who you ask about phones would not even consider BB and they've never tried one, much less have an opinion about the gestures...

04-18-14 07:10 PM
    You realize that even if every BBOS user goes to BB10 the business will still be doing poorly right?? Gestures or not has nothing to do with why BB has such a low market share.
    That is an erroneous statement. The issues with the BB10 gesture-based-no-home-button UI have been discussed all over CB as an acknowledged sales inhibitor, falling under the umbrella of "jarringly different from BBOS and Android and iOS to the point of being rejected by the bulk of prospective users", but isn't the only reason... but in the top 3 or 4.

I'm sure if you turn off gestures people will be flocking from their iphones and androids right?? Lol :-D
    no one is suggesting that... except you when you twist statements you don't agree with so you can "LOL". I get that your position must be that BB10 devices and OS are fine as is to meet BlackBerry's objectives, which is preposterous. And obviously If BlackBerry sells 50 million devices they won't be doing "poorly", unless you think that BlackBerry can only sell 50 million devices if they sell them at a loss. Your statement is otherwise baffling.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-14 09:54 PM
    That is an erroneous statement. The issues with the BB10 gesture-based-no-home-button UI have been discussed all over CB as an acknowledged sales inhibitor, falling under the umbrella of "jarringly different from BBOS and Android and iOS to the point of being rejected by the bulk of prospective users", but isn't the only reason... but in the top 3 or 4.

no one is suggesting that... except you when you twist statements you don't agree with so you can "LOL". I get that your position must be that BB10 devices and OS are fine as is to meet BlackBerry's objectives, which is preposterous. And obviously If BlackBerry sells 50 million devices they won't be doing "poorly", unless you think that BlackBerry can only sell 50 million devices if they sell them at a loss. Your statement is otherwise baffling.

Posted via CB10
    So the sentiment from people going to a website called CrackBERRY is a good representation of the population at large? Alrighty then. :-)

Bluenoser63 likes this.
    04-18-14 10:12 PM
    Remove the gesture....please that is absolutely nuts. I would want to have a toggle to toggle on or off the track. Remove the gestures is nuts

Z30 : posted via CB10 app
    04-19-14 04:56 AM
    Wish the bring back view text feature of the Bold OS

Z30 : posted via CB10 app
    04-19-14 04:59 AM

Posted via CB10
    Gestures have nothing to do with acceptance of BB10. iOS and Android are adding more gestures. Does that mean that they will tank too?
    04-19-14 05:31 AM
    Gestures have nothing to do with acceptance of BB10. iOS and Android are adding more gestures. Does that mean that they will tank too?
    If iOS and droid are also doing gestures, what does RIM offer that is unique enough to attract those customers?
    04-19-14 09:25 AM
    I agree with the OP that being able to turn off some gestures would allow some people to optimize productivity for their individual needs. Properly done customization is always a welcome feature. Problem is, RIM has NEVER had adequate programming resources and building in such customization might require programming resources they might not have. A simple check box option to disable the touch digitizer in trackpad devices might be a reasonable compromise. ??
    04-19-14 09:48 AM
    If iOS and droid are also doing gestures, what does RIM offer that is unique enough to attract those customers?
    Ah, I got it! No gestures!!

Lol.

Either that or simply try to use clever marketing to remove this "uncool" stigma from BlackBerry's name and show the world that the new OS is modern and not like the old legacy devices people still think they are.

Seriously guys, go do a survey. Ask people what phones they would consider if they were to buy a new phone tomorrow. Then ask those who disqualify BlackBerry why. Make note of how many of them would say "Because they are going out of business." "Because they are slow and old." "Because they have no apps." and please pay particular attention if you can find more than one person who would even mention anything about the gestures as being the reason, please...

I'm not talking about asking legacy BB users, I'm talking about asking the people who are using iphones and androids...

Bluenoser63 likes this.
    04-19-14 11:35 AM
    Ah, I got it! No gestures!!

Lol.

Either that or simply try to use clever marketing to remove this "uncool" stigma from BlackBerry's name and show the world that the new OS is modern and not like the old legacy devices people still think they are.

Seriously guys, go do a survey. Ask people what phones they would consider if they were to buy a new phone tomorrow. Then ask those who disqualify BlackBerry why. Make note of how many of them would say "Because they are going out of business." "Because they are slow and old." "Because they have no apps." and please pay particular attention if you can find more than one person who would even mention anything about the gestures as being the reason, please...

I'm not talking about asking legacy BB users, I'm talking about asking the people who are using iphones and androids...

I'm no marketing genius but totally getting rid of gestures seems like an absurdly stupid thing to do. Treating customers like adults by giving them OPTIONS to optimize those gestures, including selective disabling, might give RIM a marketing edge over the iPhone crowd. Some day, iPhone kids are going to grow up and RIM might just be there to capitalize on that market. IF they can survive to that point.

Till then, RIM needs to embrace their business image and do what they can to preserve their loyal business oriented market. My question above was NOT rhetorical. It was a legitimate inquiry of curiosity. If i were in the market for a glass only device, why would I choose a Z over the i or d? The ONLY thing keeping some of us with RIM is the trackpad. If it goes, we go.
    04-19-14 02:45 PM
    Maybe that explains the motive behind RIM's refusal to include a check box to turn off the 9930's digitizer. I've always suspected they thought us legacy users were just "stupid old hicks" that hang on to track devices out of fear of change and that we must be FORCED to accept the dated technology touch represents. RIM's trackpad is NEWER tech than touch, btw. Trackpad is simply more precise and more efficient than any touch device i've used to date. Including 9 months of Z and 3 months of Q. Maybe the Q20 is aimed at transitioning the iPhone crowd into the NEWER tech of trackpad? lol

If RIM's mission is to attract iPhone customers, they should focus on THAT while doing what ever necessary to retain their legacy users. In other words, they should be seeking to EXPAND their market rather than trying to FORCE existing customers into abandoning BETTER and NEWER technology.
    I agree with your outlook on this but I wasn't trying to discredit the usability of the track pad. Coming from a Torch before my Z10 I will admit the trackpad has its accuracy and efficiency.

The point of my statement was more about he belt as a whole.

The back button and the BlackBerry button are not needed if you spend a short time with the gestures as the only option...and understand their purpose. Both of these functions have been mimicked by a gesture. Having a button for these features is as redundant as a home button with the same functionality. Or ICONS that have the same purpose.

I'm just saying if this is where BlackBerry intends to go(full Gestures), have the UI of the 'Belt' enabled phones train the belt users to use the gestures and get people more accustomed to to it.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-14 09:57 PM
31 12