I am a long-time Blackberry customer who bought the Z10 at release and have been very happy with the touchscreen experience. My wife wants to experiment switching from Apple to Blackberry, and we're trying to spend very little money until she makes up her mind. (She's due for a new phone before me, so I can't just get the Passport for myself and give her the Z10!)

I was simply going to buy another Z10, but then thought this would be the perfect time to try the Q10. I basically have two questions:

1. What will it feel like to go from the Z10 to the Q10? I know I'll enjoy having the PKB again, but I'm worried about the smaller screen. Will I still be able to view desktop versions of web sites when I need to?

What else should I be aware of? I am already a strong BB10 user, but what's different about the Q10?

Thanks in advance!
    01-25-15 04:50 PM
    Personally, I'd look at swappa or ebay for a used 9900 to get a feel for a physical keyboard. But the Q10 runs OS10, same as your Z, so there would be no learning curve for a vastly different interface involved. Apart from the half screen real estate difference, added to a physical keyboard, not much difference, all other things being equal. Desktop websites can still be zoomed in and out but that's a pain over time, since there's no landscape view as with the Z. Half the screen real estate, remember? Same applies to watching movies and playing games; both the province of a larger landscape capable device. Just my $.02USD.
    01-25-15 05:08 PM
    You lose screen size and gain battery life and the pkb. The choice here is really a preference one. The value proposition (aside from the battery) really depends on how you use your phone.

I prefer my Q10 to my Z10 and Z30. Not because it's the better device. It just meets my particular needs and habits better. If you take the dive I hope you enjoy the ride. The Q10 offers a ton of value at its going rate.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 06:12 PM
    Thanks, prior to the Z10, I had about 5 BBs with the PKB, so I know the value of it. I had expected to hate the Z, but it was a lot more usable than I expected, and it's been my daily phone for work and personal life since March 2013. I plan to buy a PP, but need to get my wife set up on her new phone first, which is why I'm considering the Q10. I'm not going back to the old BBOS, so the Bold is out of the question. I'm a huge fan of BB10!

If anyone has anything to add, I'll keep checking the thread for a couple of days. Thanks again!
    01-25-15 06:48 PM
    Have you looked at getting a Z30?
    01-25-15 06:52 PM
    I started with a Z10, went to a Q10 for the PKB, and picked up a Z30 on sale to replace one of my PlayBooks. I'm currently using the Z30, but would have no problem switching back to the Q10.

Z10->Q10, lossed screen real estate, but gained 2x battery life, nice clicky feel of the keyboard very satisfying
    Q10->Z30, gained back screen real estate, battery life comparable
    01-25-15 07:03 PM
    Sorry to say, but the Q10 is prone to a double typing problem. It's an annoying issue, but not a deal breaker- mainly because of autoprediction which can overwhelm the double typing problem.

An alternative and worthy option is the Q5. No keyboard issues and low price too.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 07:15 PM
    For the Q10 - if/when you put 10.3.1 on there you will have the shortcuts back. I actually had to update my Z10 today because I was afraid my usb port was going out as I having issues charging it last night and when I setting it up after loading up the latest software I was actually getting annoyed because I could push keys to open things. The screen will be a huge thing if you do a lot of games and videos. Having the capability to zoom out on android apps now in 10.3.1 helps tremendously and I don't usually have any issues. Maxing out desktop versions of websites is a bit of a hassle though.
    01-25-15 07:25 PM
    Get a Q5 instead. Cheaper and better display.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    01-25-15 07:55 PM
    Get a Q5 instead. Cheaper and better display.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    If you like removable battery...

The Passport solves the keyboard and size dilemma described by OP and others above, but the Q10's ability to just pop a new battery in (same as the Z10) definitely is an advantage over the PP as well as Q5.

I own PP, Q10, Z10 and Torch 9810. Gave 8700g away...

------

I handled the Q10 well, but constant zooming when reading PDFs and desktop websites became a bit annoying. But expect improved battery life. I'm not here to go OT or push the PP, but if you can afford it, it could probably solve the dilemma.

You asked Q10 vs Z10. The one-handed 1-thumb operation feels great. Just get a good, smooth screen protector: You'll be swiping a lot, and fast. And it feels fast because of the smaller screen, everything is pretty much within reach. And the Q10 is a bit snappier, because it has less pixels to push...

(As a compact device, it might even beat the Classic, unless you're a trackpad whizz... - size matters with one-handed use)

:-D

�   HaPPy Australia Day 2015 - come and visit, mate...!   �
    01-25-15 09:21 PM
    I just say go for it! You said you want to try a Q10, than try. If you don't like it you can sell it :-) and if you like it you can keep it. It seems to me that's the whole point of trying lol :-p

Posted via CB10 on my white Q10
    01-26-15 02:46 AM
    I never had the Z10, and in fact I never had an all-touch phone, because my first 'smartphone' was a Bold 9700 and now I have the Q10, so I can't say much about large displays.
    But what I can say seeing all my friends with iPhone or Android is that my phone does things efficiently and in the way I want.
    So yes, I can't play games and comfort while watching videos is not so great, but when I have to respond to a text or an email, it's really easy, because the physical keyboard is perfect.
    I think the Q10 - just like the Classic - are phones for people who like to make things done.
    I often see my Q10 as a buddy who says: "okay, I know i'm not the best, I know you can have more comfort on others phones, but you can trust me, and if you need help on something that matters, i'll always be by your side".
    Last edited by 00101; 01-26-15 at 06:18 AM.
    01-26-15 03:08 AM
    I went from a Z10 to a Z30 to a Passport to a Q10.

The smaller screen is not an issue if media consumption is not your main priority, you can view desktop sites perfectly fine although you have to zoom in and can't use landscape mode.

The Z10 battery just sucks big time I really liked that phone but the battery life is a major turn off for medium to heavy power users that do not like after market batteries that are twice as thick that make the device much thicker, heavier and less comfortable to hold.

If you are a business and message minded person with the occasional media consumption I would recommend the Q10 but if you are a pure media consumer and don't mind very big devices I would go for the Passport.

You should be aware of the small square screen if you use your phone for media consumption mainly over communication.
    But if you don't mind using your Z10 in portrait mode anyways to browse the web then I think you don't mind the smaller screen real estate since scrolling can easily be done with the spacebar and T and B keys for fast scrolling to the top or bottom.

Here are some screenshots I made on my Q10 of some websites in desktop mode to give you an idea;

Z10 to Q10...what to expect-img_20150129_020332.png

Z10 to Q10...what to expect-img_20150129_020426.png

Z10 to Q10...what to expect-img_20150129_020447.png
    Last edited by Fractional Reserver; 01-28-15 at 07:13 PM.
    01-28-15 06:56 PM
    Many good points raised. You'll gain keyboard shortcuts. On some very rare occasions, when I super zoom on the same .jpg file, I find the Z10 was able to do a better job, and it has nothing to do with screen size.
    01-28-15 09:05 PM
    Many good points raised. You'll gain keyboard shortcuts. On some very rare occasions, when I super zoom on the same .jpg file, I find the Z10 was able to do a better job, and it has nothing to do with screen size.
    That is because you can use it in landscape and portrait mode it has more pixels in height, the screen isn't small and square and you have more real estate to navigate.
    I find my Z30 and Passport do a better job at zooming on the same image file compared to both the Z10 and Q10, it's just more comfortable to navigate on a bigger screen, my Nexus 7 does an even better job at zooming because of it's larger screen size.
    01-28-15 10:19 PM
    Let me clarify, in the same amount of screen space, the Z showed more detail than the Q. Look up pixel density to enlighten yourself.
    01-28-15 10:43 PM
    Ah my bad you are absolutely right, I know about the pixel density 330ppi vs 350ppi or something, hadn't even considered it.
    The Z10 tops the Z30 also in that case, I prefer the IPS LCD over the AMOLED display too.
    Shame about that Z10 battery life and lack of a metal rim though or I would seriously consider using it as my main device.
    01-28-15 11:55 PM
    huuuuuu... the screen ppi won't be more visible if you zoom in a picture... And you have to go near the screen, some inch away, to maybe see a pixel By the way, Z10 screen is 355ppi and Q10 328ppi.
    01-29-15 01:58 AM
    The image will be more crisp with a higher pixel density in general.
    Also the Q10 uses a Pentile AMOLED layout which has 2 subpixels and the Z10 an IPS LCD which has 3 subpixels if I am correct, so you better believe you see the difference.
    The Z10 produces a sharper/clearer image, I can see individual pixels better on the Q10 compared the Z10, just put them beside eachother and you'll notice the difference.
    kgwld1 likes this.
    01-29-15 08:09 AM
    The Q10 screen is very small. I would ge for a cheap Z10.

Posted via CB10 from my Passport
    01-29-15 08:22 AM
    Here's the picture in question:

Z10 to Q10...what to expect-starship-size-comparison.jpg
    01-30-15 05:46 PM
    I use a lot of smartphones (I currently own four) mostly because of my job, and I've had the Z10, the Z30, and Q10 over the years. I'm typing this on a Q10 right now.

I'd say if you're used to a touchscreen, there's no point going back. While I love the Q10's keyboard and use it for extended periods from time to time, I think the pros of full-touch outweigh the cons. Browsing the web, taking/viewing photos, watching videos, and playing games are all more enjoyable on a full-touch device - and these are things most people use their smartphone for regularly.

I use my Q10 mostly for email, drafting documents or taking notes, and playing old Game Boy games (can't beat physical buttons for those). But if I want to watch YouTube or do anything else, I'll pull out my iPhone instead.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 10:48 AM
    Here's the picture in question:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Starship Size Comparison.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	313.5 KB 
ID:	330769
    What, no Death Star???

Posted from my Timex Sinclair 2068 Personal Color Computer
    02-01-15 12:00 PM
    What, no Death Star???

Posted from my Timex Sinclair 2068 Personal Color Computer
    There are more of these out there, incl. The Death Star
    02-01-15 12:44 PM
    Great choice dude the q10 it's awesome in opinion both the q n the z are the winners. As for the experience of a keyboard is ur personal choice compared to the virtual kb. They both have their own uniqueness.
    U love the z10 u will love the q more.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 05:58 PM