does these new phones with os10 have word substitution? Or is more like pb with that suggestion option?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-30-13 01:32 PM
    You tell me champ!

word substitution?-img_00000083.png

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 01:53 PM
    Cheers! Good stuff.
    diegonei likes this.
    09-30-13 02:00 PM
    does these new phones with os10 have word substitution? Or is more like pb with that suggestion option?

Yes To get to it go to Settings > Language and Input > Prediction and Correction > Word Substitution
    09-30-13 02:16 PM
    thanks my 9900 is giving some grief but I enjoy that feature a lot. still unsure if I want to loose my track pad.

09-30-13 02:52 PM
    thanks my 9900 is giving some grief but I enjoy that feature a lot. still unsure if I want to loose my track pad.

It has taken some getting use to. I still struggle as with not having it, but not as bad as I use to. I still use my 9810 especially if I know the track pad will help me get something done that not having one would keep me from being able to do.
    10-03-13 01:58 PM

You want to lose the trackpad.

lol
    10-03-13 07:19 PM
    Well lost the track pad today. Word substitution works not sure it's quite the same it works. So much to learn on finding stuff in this phone. No berry button to get a menu. Want to learn how to delete or make some icons invisible.
    10-03-13 08:53 PM
    Stick with it. Watch a few tutorials, tour the forums. The BB10 is different than prior but... vastly better. Some learning is required but don't fight it.

Posted via CB10 from my Q10 (SQN100-3)
    Danny Ocean and diegonei like this.
    10-03-13 10:01 PM
    Well lost the track pad today. Word substitution works not sure it's quite the same it works. So much to learn on finding stuff in this phone. No berry button to get a menu. Want to learn how to delete or make some icons invisible.
    Word substitution works only partially because it inserts random capitalization which you manually have to go back and correct. Sloppy and very frustrating, but yes it is there.
    10-04-13 09:35 AM
    Q10 does word substitution, word suggestion, auto correction on hitting space after a word, auto capitalisation and I think also an auto method for adding a space after full stop. All features can be turned on and off. It's best to turn all features off except the one you want most then add one at a time till you are happy with the functionality. Also press and hold produces capitals. You don't have to press and hold very long at all to get a capital letter.
    One thing I think is a bug or maybe just poorly thought out functionality: You can try this in CB 10 app replying to this thread. Press a and hold to get an A. Delete the A and type a word followed by space. When you hit space the initial letter of your word capitalises! It's not random I just tryed it a few times typing this and get the incorrect capitalisation each time.

( 1 x shift ) !~ /^1?$|^(11+?)\1+$/
    10-04-13 11:18 AM
    Q10 does word substitution, word suggestion, auto correction on hitting space after a word, auto capitalisation and I think also an auto method for adding a space after full stop. All features can be turned on and off. It's best to turn all features off except the one you want most then add one at a time till you are happy with the functionality. Also press and hold produces capitals. You don't have to press and hold very long at all to get a capital letter.
    One thing I think is a bug or maybe just poorly thought out functionality: You can try this in CB 10 app replying to this thread. Press a and hold to get an A. Delete the A and type a word followed by space. When you hit space the initial letter of your word capitalises! It's not random I just tryed it a few times typing this and get the incorrect capitalisation each time.

One example for me is that I have "Thanks and Best" shortened as "txb". Always worked fine on my 9900. This go round, Blackberry has decided to reformat "Thanks and Best" to "Thanks And Best" capitalizing the "And" for no reason. In the word substitution, it appears correctly, but not when I type in "txb" and let it actually do the substitution.

I also experience other random capitalization when typing emails or texting. Just another example of sloppy product development. I can work around it, but takes time and is frustrating.
    10-04-13 11:26 AM
    I entered thanks and best as a word substitution . I have just used it.
    It worked fine now - new line
    Thanks And Best
    Appears in capitals as it does here Thanks And Best - because in the first instance I have auto capitalisation on and in second I held T till it capitalised. Now if I post this and turn auto capitalisation off let's see what happens?

10-04-13 12:52 PM
    this is typed without auto capitalisation? see I did not hold the t of this and it did not auto capitalise. New line -
    thanks and best
    well that worked fine.
    Now holding the t for T -
    Thanks And Best
    and that capitalised.
    There is no random capitalisation problem.
    However the way auto capitalisation interacts with text substitution is not initially intuitive.

10-04-13 12:56 PM
    Thanks and Best
    The above is the result with always use this capitalisation set and the phrase entered as above - Thanks and Best again and holding T gives Thanks and Best also.

10-04-13 01:05 PM
    Auto capitalisation now back on and Thanks and Best
    Thanks and Best
    Always as I entered it.

10-04-13 01:12 PM
    thanks and best now in lower case despite being at start of line. And holding T - thanks and best

Here I specified always use this capitalisation and it won't change to capitals.
    Bingo.

So that's how that works.

I think 'Always use this capitalisation' is a very poor description. 'Always show as typed, do not change capitalisation' would explain better.

AA Byron likes this.
    10-04-13 01:16 PM
    this is typed without auto capitalisation? see I did not hold the t of this and it did not auto capitalise. New line -
    thanks and best
    well that worked fine.
    Now holding the t for T -
    Thanks And Best
    and that capitalised.
    There is no random capitalisation problem.
    However the way auto capitalisation interacts with text substitution is not initially intuitive.

It certainly would be a programming error if I type in Thanks and Best, however I type it in and it comes out Thanks And Best.

That is the definition of random capitalization and typical BBY sloppy programming.

The idea that how you capitalize the work Thanks has an impact on what comes after it is flawed. The only thing that should create a capitalization after something is a period. Period.

On a related note, many of us experience other random capitalization when typing general emails or texts. You'd thing punctuation would be something the BBY has down for a customer base that's primarily oriented towards messaging.
    10-04-13 01:26 PM
    Now back to the point I mention as a Bug. Bug was capitalised because I typed a capital and deleted it then typed bug which was auto capitalised, in my opinion, in error. Now this only happened because I have Auto-Correct with Spacebar on. I find this annoying. I shall th ink about turning Auto-Correct with Spacebar off. What I notice is that Auto-Correct with Spacebar gets defeated by BlackBerry Q10 word learning that easily learns mistakes you repeat. Whats best is just spell checking that I recall was underlining my mistakes in red but now isn't. Hmm another one to think about?

10-04-13 01:41 PM
    [QUOTE=SoxFan;9282633]It certainly would be a programming error if I type in Thanks and Best, however I type it in and it comes out Thanks And Best. [\QUOTE]

Type it exactly how you want it to appear and tick Use this Capitalisation as I said.

10-04-13 01:45 PM
    What seems to work for me:-

Production and Correction.
    Auto-Correct with Spacebar Off.
    Perion shortcut Off.
    Learn new words Off.
    All others on.

Word Substitution:-
    Always use this capitalisation - usually On

Spellcheck:-
    All on

Enter new words in your Personal Distionary.

This seems to produce most predicable behavior.

10-04-13 01:59 PM
    Yea BB10 autotext is nowhere near as polished as BBOS. When I start a sentence with an autotext word it always scrws up. Example: I use "b" as short for "be". Mid sentence its fine, but at the beginning of a sentence it either becomes "BE" or "be" but never "Be". Ive tried every permutation of capatilizing and uncapitalizing and checking the box and leaving it unchecked. Its just flawed

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 02:05 PM
    I didn't bet on that.
    Same s**t with -
    BET
    I even tried with bet in my personal dictionary to no avail.
    Seems if your word is too short its assumed its an acronym?
    Well spotted.

10-04-13 02:25 PM
    Antidisestablishmentarianism antidisestablishmentarianism antidisestablishmentarianism
    ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISM
    Ok so if the shortcut is a single letter like b then autocapitalisation does every letter if 2 or more letters then all initial letters:
    For your b shortcot to be it wont work!
    I try to fool it entering b for be and B for Be but that wont work either. It will always choose which ever of B or b I entered last in Word Substitution. This looks like its just been rushed out and needs perfected. One thing though its still not random. It is predictable although predictably wrong!

10-04-13 02:47 PM
    A Lot ( even the BlackBerry example alot is wrong )

10-04-13 02:51 PM
36 12