Not all, only the ones devs allow.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 08:27 PM
    Not all, only the ones devs allow.

Posted via CB10
    LOL you serious ?!!?! LOL

Arnt they are the same O.S !?!!
    04-01-13 01:38 AM
    I've seen apps with photos for the q10, developers to have to resize there apps but I heard BlackBerry made it easy.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 02:05 AM
    its not the point of same O.S, screen res matters !
    04-01-13 04:08 AM
    I don't think putting a code to make the resolution fit a screen resoultion is hard for app devolpers look

look at android ou got ALOT of different screen resolutions
    04-01-13 05:02 AM
    I don't think putting a code to make the resolution fit a screen resoultion is hard for app devolpers look

If devs use relative scaling instead of absolute, they won't even need to modify anything for the apps to work (they might still have to resubmit anyways). Android has been around since screens were very low res. When higher screen resolutions became popular, devs had similar issues of having to recode their apps to work, otherwise screen elements, like buttons, were jumbled all over the place.
    irweezyy likes this.
    04-01-13 06:08 AM
    but they will only switch resoliton to one device, unlike android with so many devices
    04-01-13 06:38 AM
    but they will only switch resoliton to one device, unlike android with so many devices
    Yes, you're right. But that one other device we're resizing to is almost half the height of the device the app have been originally designed for. It's complete different user experience. For most apps, they have been designed to fit all of ui controls in the screen without scrolling. When redesigning, I guess "if scrolling reduces user experience, how else should the ui controls be layed out?" is the most difficult question to be answered.

For android devices, most of them have similar aspect ratio (despite different resolution) so simply resizing the images for buttons and others will offer similar user experience but this is not the case here.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 08:58 AM

It's not difficult. And properly written apps will do this anyway, on any platform.

What is more difficult is presenting a GOOD experience on a different resolution. There's more to that than the app just running.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 11:23 AM
    It also depends on what kind of app it is. If it's a Cascades app, then yes, it should scale on it's own, and only require a few tweaks, if any at all, to make it just as good on the Q10 as it is on the Z10.

However, when it comes to games and such, it isn't as simple. Most games are built with a landscape layout in mind, or at least a taller screen, and the Q10 has no such orientation. In my not-so-expert-game-development opinion, the quick and dirty way of making it usable on the Q10 with the least amount of changes, is to apply black bars (like in movies) to the top and bottom of the app, to maintain the same aspect ratio. But how would that look on the Q10? Probably pretty bad.

The alternative (again, for games) would be to recode to support a 1:1 aspect ratio, which would likely require game element changes and such, which is absolutely not worth it.

In the end, it's ultimately up to the developer. They choose which devices to support, and whether or not it will run with no code changes doesn't matter if they feel the end result isn't up to par.

And this is no different on Android either. It's just that 99% of Android devices have a wide screen. How many have a square screen with a QWERTY keyboard? Not many, and the ones that do likely don't display apps all that spectacularly either if they're even supported.

Imagine if Apple released a qwerty device with a square screen. Do you think all the apps would transition over seamlessly? Of course not. And this is why they will never release such a device (They would likely release a qwerty with a tall screen if anything at all for compatibility sake)
    04-01-13 11:53 AM
    I use CoQ10 daily and in the version I have now, it has unfortunately not supported for all apps. Not even the CrackBerry app works.
    04-01-13 11:56 AM
    Could we get a list started of all the apps that do work at present? Or are we too early to do this? May need some devs help on this one. Certainly would help some decide to go Z10 rather than Q10.
    04-01-13 09:08 PM
    Could we get a list started of all the apps that do work at present? Or are we too early to do this? May need some devs help on this one. Certainly would help some decide to go Z10 rather than Q10.
    I'd say too soon. At Q10 launch, some devs will have their Z10 apps modified as required to work well on the Q10. Others will still be working on it if they have more work to do. Others may not be able to get far, if they need actual hardware and were not lucky enough to get a Dev Alpha C (with quite a limited quantity sent out). And some will simply ignore the Q10, at least until they start to see signs that it will be worth supporting it. And finally, some will ignore it and never support it.

With tens of thousands of apps out there, do you really want to track "all" the apps that don't work? What you might want to do is start a list of the most popular ones (using the lists from BBWorld?) and be prepared to start updating that list with notes on what does have support.

If I were a likely candidate for a Q10, however, I doubt I'd make a decision between them based on this... I'll either want the keyboard, regardless of the apps situation, or I won't. (But that's just me.) I'd even say if you would let this decide for you, you probably don't really want the Q10.
    04-02-13 07:50 AM
    I should have been more clear. Yes it is quality apps that i would be more concerned with. As someone else said, "I don't need 10 different fart sound apps". The odd game maybe. Quality apps (news, navigation, social media), those are the ones I would be most want to see on the Q10.

The keyboard is certainly a big factor. Although for me, I may grab a Z10 if i find the Q10 screen real-estate is not sufficient and the app ecosystem is not up to par.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-02-13 11:02 AM