OK, I'm confused. I've read through threads of people talking about frequencies and "CDMA", "HSPA", "GSM", and many other acronyms.. I'd appreciate anyone who could offer some solid advice, and I embarrassingly apologize for being a bit "dumb" about all of this mobile-tech-lingo.

My question is pretty straight-forward: If I purchase a verizon Q10, will it work to full capability on a T-Mobile network? I called Verizon..they said it would work and I don't even need to unlock the phone because these phones don't require to be unlocked like previous phones. They said it took a special type of sim card... something like a 4G NFC micro blah blah blah card... and as long as T-Mobile gives me the same card, it should work. But... I'm not sure how accurate that is. Something tells me it's not that simple.

I don't need anyone exhausting their time explaining all these acronyms, but if anyone could help a regular, tech-ignorant user like myself, I'd truly appreciate it.

Thanks
    06-26-13 11:39 AM
    Yes. Just get a T-Mo SIM.

There is literally nothing else to this at all, just get the T-Mo SIM.
    06-26-13 11:47 AM
    You are awesome. I'd buy you a pizza if I could.

Thanks!
    06-26-13 11:52 AM
    You will get GSM only. This has been covered several times before.

I am a huge advocate against doing this.

Long story short, don't do it. GSM only, no UMTS coverage. The key thing to remember is just because it has a SIM card and supports GSM doesn't mean the bands are the same! Even using an AT&T device on Tmo, both full GSM carriers, can cause issues due to absence of the 1700mhz band for UMTS.

Please trust me, don't do this. You WILL be disappointed.

Only reason Verizon has some GSM support is for overseas travelers who need limited world phone capability since CDMA sucks and is almost US only.

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    06-26-13 11:54 AM
    Thanks! You win the pizza!

So.... here's my dilemma. Maybe you can help.

I need two things: 1) to stay a T-Mobile subscriber and 2) to use a "white" Q10. The only place that sells a white Q10 around here is Verizon. Therefore, if I can't use Verizon... is there anything you can think of... considering your technical knowledge of all the aforementioned things that I don't understand.

Thoughts?
    06-26-13 12:48 PM
    Bleach the T-Mobile one??? Haha. Rogers in Canada is going to start selling the white one.

Is T-Mobile really good where you are? I have found their network to be average to below average in many places. Just switched to Verizon and love it. Might be a bit more expensive and they still have contracts, but I no longer have dead zones and calls are stable and reliable.
    06-26-13 01:20 PM

I need two things: 1) to stay a T-Mobile subscriber and 2) to use a "white" Q10.
    I think your best option will be eBay, and buy an unlocked device.

Here's a screenshot of the bands that T-Mobile supports:

Will a Verizon Q10 work on a TMobile network?-screen-shot-2013-06-26-12.16.56-pm.png

In the item description or by asking the seller a question, you'll need to confirm that the unlocked phone supports UMTS 2100, AWS, 850, 1900 if you want the highest speed data and call quality.
    06-26-13 01:20 PM
    Hi,

The best you can do is get a white Rogers one which will be infinitely better than trying to use a Verizon "world phone support" handset on T-Mobile.

(Are any other Canadian carriers selling the white one? If you can get one from Wind or Mobilicity then that WILL work 100% with Tmo.)

Still though, you are getting like 66% of the experience because it will be missing the 1700 UMTS band that Tmo uses. You will only get HSPA/HSPA+ in areas that have been refarmed to use 1900 band. And it should go without saying that certainly NO carrier has (or will for quite a while still) LTE everywhere, especially not Tmo, so the result is you may see EDGE in some areas. If you live in a non-refarmed area, you will be disappointed. Very disappointed. And I wish I could say it may get better but now that Tmo sells their own iPhone, the need to refarm to attract AT&T customers with unlocked iPhone is reduced.

I really, really advice you to get the T-Mobile Q10. White is exclusive. That sucks. It is exclusive on the US to carrier currently supporting BlackBerry quite crappily. That sucks even more. Nevertheless, don't diminish your high speed experience for color.

That's my two cents anyway.

Last edited by STV0726; 06-26-13 at 05:49 PM.
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    06-26-13 02:29 PM
    Could also just get the black T-Mobile Q10 and then swap out the housing components with an entire white housing, if you're not savvy enough to do it yourself I'm sure you could find someone at a mall or such that would do it. You'd lose the warranty, but at least you'd have a phone designed to be on their network.
    ce71 likes this.
    06-26-13 05:08 PM

I need two things: 1) to stay a T-Mobile subscriber and 2) to use a "white" Q10. The only place that sells a white Q10 around here is Verizon. Therefore, if I can't use Verizon... is there anything you can think of... considering your technical knowledge of all the aforementioned things that I don't understand.

Thoughts?
    Whoa whoa time out here First of all my dinner just arrived, but I thank you for your pizza, but let me make sure I clear up a few things for ya, because well I like your style

Now I have a VZW White Q10, they all ship completely unlocked from VZW so you don't have to do anything. The phone has the ability to operate on all the same bands as the Q10's at other carriers [there's one minor exception to that, but it isn't relevant here, although some have and will content it will, you honestly in my opinion won't notice a difference] You take the phone and you will need a micro-SIM from someone, anyone. If you want the White Q10 like the one I have from VZW you will have to pay full price, but it's your phone. The gentle-person above balking about GSM and CDMA and UTMS and all those abbreviations you did not want is merely trying to tell you that they believe that T-Mo's service sucks. Some people think that others disagree, but that is not relevant here.

So as you ask before in your post to make it short and sweet and void of abbreviations and all the mumbo-jumbo that doesn't make sense I'll reduce what you need to do to this simple list:
    1. Go to VZW
    2. Purchase your White Q10 at full price it will be close to $599.99 + tax [which in my area brought it to almost $650]
    3. Say thank you very much and depart the store or thank the FedEx delivery person for coming.
    4. Pick up the phone and call T-Mo or go to your local T-Mo store and say I would like to have a subscription service with you, here is my phone.
    5. They will say "Thank you [insert name here] let me get you a micro-SIM for your device"
    6. They will place a micro-SIM into the back of your nice new White Q10 and it'll work with their entire network! You need to do nothing else! It's that simple for the VZW Q10. If you to get a Q10 from another carrier it might not be that simple... that's where this whole locking/unlocking discussion comes into play... Your device will receive updates from T-Mo if you have your subscription through them, which means when they release Wi-Fi calling later this summer [I believe is when I heard last] you will have access to that. Some people go with T-Mo because of the Wi-Fi calling... Many say it makes up for their sometimes "lacking" coverage here in the United States... The White is no longer exclusive to the United States, but I would recommend that if you want, buy the White Q10.

I think in this thread you hopefully have been given two different point of views on the topic... I know some will agree with me and some will agree with the other view. If you have any more specific questions please let us know and we'll all be glad to continue to give our two cents respectfully

Plus, we'll all have that pizza someday and chat maybe
    06-26-13 06:11 PM
    You are awesome. I'd buy you a pizza if I could.

Thanks!
    I'll take that pizza I was gonna say the same!

When Blackberry did not have a sim card yes, you did have to unlock the device, but now you're free to switch carriers that have a 4G sim for your device.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 06:29 PM
    Whoa whoa time out here First of all my dinner just arrived, but I thank you for your pizza, but let me make sure I clear up a few things for ya, because well I like your style

Now I have a VZW White Q10, they all ship completely unlocked from VZW so you don't have to do anything. The phone has the ability to operate on all the same bands as the Q10's at other carriers [there's one minor exception to that, but it isn't relevant here, although some have and will content it will, you honestly in my opinion won't notice a difference] You take the phone and you will need a micro-SIM from someone, anyone. If you want the White Q10 like the one I have from VZW you will have to pay full price, but it's your phone. The gentle-person above balking about GSM and CDMA and UTMS and all those abbreviations you did not want is merely trying to tell you that they believe that T-Mo's service sucks. Some people think that others disagree, but that is not relevant here.

So as you ask before in your post to make it short and sweet and void of abbreviations and all the mumbo-jumbo that doesn't make sense I'll reduce what you need to do to this simple list:
    1. Go to VZW
    2. Purchase your White Q10 at full price it will be close to $599.99 + tax [which in my area brought it to almost $650]
    3. Say thank you very much and depart the store or thank the FedEx delivery person for coming.
    4. Pick up the phone and call T-Mo or go to your local T-Mo store and say I would like to have a subscription service with you, here is my phone.
    5. They will say "Thank you [insert name here] let me get you a micro-SIM for your device"
    6. They will place a micro-SIM into the back of your nice new White Q10 and it'll work with their entire network! You need to do nothing else! It's that simple for the VZW Q10. If you to get a Q10 from another carrier it might not be that simple... that's where this whole locking/unlocking discussion comes into play... Your device will receive updates from T-Mo if you have your subscription through them, which means when they release Wi-Fi calling later this summer [I believe is when I heard last] you will have access to that. Some people go with T-Mo because of the Wi-Fi calling... Many say it makes up for their sometimes "lacking" coverage here in the United States... The White is no longer exclusive to the United States, but I would recommend that if you want, buy the White Q10.

I think in this thread you hopefully have been given two different point of views on the topic... I know some will agree with me and some will agree with the other view. If you have any more specific questions please let us know and we'll all be glad to continue to give our two cents respectfully

This is utterly inaccurate!

It isn't opinion or a "viewpoint" as you say. It is fact. The bands are different. Very different. The UMTS bands put in CDMA phones with "world phone support" are limited and not intended for use here, they are for overseas for travelers. If VZW and Sprint didn't offer some phones with that, they'd loose business for people who travel.

I don't know what else to say on this topic.

Last edited by STV0726; 06-27-13 at 02:27 PM.
    06-27-13 01:16 AM

1. Go to VZW

I'll be honest, I think that's the most entertaining thing I've read online since I used to hang out in the "Town Square" AOL chat room in 1994. Yes, those were the days...before Chris Hansen had to screw everything up. I still remember the night I cybered with "hotchick17". Whoever imagined a simple conversation beginning with "asl?" could become such a love connection?

OK well... back to 2013. I really don't know what to do. I'm sold on what you're saying, but i'm also scared by other people throwing around acronyms and "bands". I know someone else suggested buying a phone from Canada. Therefore, regardless of the CDMA-this-or-that debate, do you think a Q10 from Canada would solve the problem once and for all? Or, there's no guarantee with that either?
    Last edited by ce71; 06-27-13 at 10:17 AM. Reason: I can't read or spell
    06-27-13 09:44 AM
    OP wants that white Q10 correct?
    Will a Verizon Q10 work on a TMobile network?-whiteq10.jpg

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 10:09 AM
    OP wants that white Q10 correct?
    Posted via CB10
    I'm interested in getting a white Q10... with the only stipulation that it would be 100% compatible on the T-Mobile network.
    Last edited by ce71; 06-27-13 at 10:25 AM. Reason: I don't know the difference between "interested" and "interesting"
    06-27-13 10:19 AM
    I'm interesting in getting a white Q10... with the only stipulation that it would be 100% compatible on the T-Mobile network.
    We got to wait it out cause unlocked Q10 only work in limition. I heard a Q10 model 100-5 is suppose to be coming out that works with tmobile but I'm not sure when or if it even lives.

Posted via CB10
    ce71 and peterschneider like this.
    06-27-13 10:25 AM
    You've asked two different questions, which is why there are two different answers.

"Will a Verizon Q10 work on a TMobile network?" YES

"Will it work to full capability on a TMobile network?" NO

TMobile is in the process of deploying LTE (faster data) across the country, and a Verizon Q10 will not connect to that network. But it will work on the voice network and on the slower data network still being used in 95% of the coverage area.

Clear as mud?
    06-27-13 10:49 AM
    You've asked two different questions, which is why there are two different answers.
    "Will a Verizon Q10 work on a TMobile network?" YES
    "Will it work to full capability on a TMobile network?" NO
    TMobile is in the process of deploying LTE (faster data) across the country, and a Verizon Q10 will not connect to that network. But it will work on the voice network and on the slower data network still being used in 95% of the coverage area.
    Clear as mud?
    I actually asked one question: If I purchase a verizon Q10, will it work to full capability on a T-Mobile network? The truth is, I screwed up. I should have asked if it would work to full "capacity", not "capability". But, I'm not an English major, so maybe there's some room to save face on that one. Overall, I think if the question is asked, "Will it work to full capability/capacity?", one wouldn't need to ask the first question in your response, "Will it work on the T-Mobile network" because asking if it would work to full capability/capacity implies that it would have to work (or not) on the network anyway. Clear as water?

Anyway, thanks for the info. Any idea if a Canadian phone (Rogers or whoever) would work on T-Mobile?

Thanks!
    06-27-13 11:00 AM
    I'm confused? If Verizon and T-Mobile both offer the phone, why not just buy it from where you have or want service? Why does it matter if Verizon phone will work on T-Mobile?

Posted with my Q10, the best damn phone on the planet
    06-27-13 11:22 AM
    I'm confused? If Verizon and T-Mobile both offer the phone, why not just buy it from where you have or want service? Why does it matter if Verizon phone will work on T-Mobile?

Posted with my Q10, the best damn phone on the planet
    OP wants the white Q10 which only Verizon offers will in NY that's how it is. To sum it up is company don't offer the White Q10 and he wants that.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 11:51 AM
    Verizon currently has exclusive rights to sell the white Q10 in the US, so T-Mobile can only sell black ones.

The problem the OP faces is that Verizon only sells model SQN100-2, while model SQN100-5 is required for full cabability/capacity/compatability/whatever you want to call it on T-Mobile. Any model Q10 will work on T-Mobile's HSPA+ network, but that is NOT the case for their LTE network.
    ce71 likes this.
    06-27-13 11:56 AM
    Verizon currently has exclusive rights to sell the white Q10 in the US, so T-Mobile can only sell black ones.

The problem the OP faces is that Verizon only sells model SQN100-2, while model SQN100-5 is required for full cabability/capacity/compatability/whatever you want to call it on T-Mobile. Any model Q10 will work on T-Mobile's HSPA+ network, but that is NOT the case for their LTE network.
    So the rare SQN100-5 do live?

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 12:05 PM
    I will spell it out for you one more time but I'm getting frustrated with the deliberate spread of misinformation...

There is currently NO white Q10 or Z10 that will work to full capability or capacity with T-Mobile US.

You have three options:

1 Verizon Q10 which has UMTS support only for overseas and you will get EDGE most of the time here in the US. No LTE either!

2. Rogers Q10 which would be fine if you had AT&T but on T-Mobile you will get EDGE when you are in a non-refarmed coverage area which is quite common.

3. Get a black, intended for T-Mobile Q10, and get the full BlackBerry 10 experience and just get a white case.

Your decision. All I can say is research the bands for yourself if you choose to believe that guy touting this as a "point of view."

I don't know why people tend to be in such denial about issues regarding frequency bands...facts are just facts...

...The sky is blue. Thorsten Heins is from Germany. When Americans say "Pennsylvania Dutch", it is actually Deutsch, and referring to German folks, not Dutch. I'm sorry, some things are just facts.

yotowoti likes this.
    06-27-13 02:33 PM
    I have known for some time the difference in chip sets in CDMA vs. GSM phones, but poster on here are saying two GSM carriers T-Mobile and AT&T would have issues using the same phone? I'll be honest, I never heard of that. For years T-Mobile users have used the AT&T iPhones simply bc it took several years until T-Mobile officially carried the iPhone.

What issues would there be from say using an AT&T Q10 on T-Mobile? I know this has nothing to do with the OP's question of using a white Verizon CDMA Q10 on the GSM T-Mobile network, but this is just a question between compatibility on the two major US GSM carriers.
    06-27-13 08:53 PM
    I have known for some time the difference in chip sets in CDMA vs. GSM phones, but poster on here are saying two GSM carriers T-Mobile and AT&T would have issues using the same phone? I'll be honest, I never heard of that. For years T-Mobile users have used the AT&T iPhones simply bc it took several years until T-Mobile officially carried the iPhone.

What issues would there be from say using an AT&T Q10 on T-Mobile? I know this has nothing to do with the OP's question of using a white Verizon CDMA Q10 on the GSM T-Mobile network, but this is just a question between compatibility on the two major US GSM carriers.
    For voice, text, and EDGE/3G data, there would be no difference in functionality using an AT&T Q10 on T-Mobile. Where you get into issues are with HSPA+ and LTE since T-Mobile and AT&T use different frequencies for those features.

Here's an article that explains it using an iPhone as an example: Bringing your iPhone to T-Mobile? Better think twice | The Verge
    jthep likes this.
    06-27-13 09:04 PM
41 12