Hey y'all, question pretty much says it all - I can't find any confirmations that the q10 will have the exact same apps as the z10- I actually read that the reason the q10 is taking longer to being out is actually only partly due to carriers, and the rest is because developers haven't been as keen to develop for the q10. I have an iphone 5 and have been waiting ages like everyone else here for the q10 but if the app ecosystem for it doesn't cut it I honestly might have to settle for the Z10 which, even now, doesn't exactly have the apps to sway me completely away from the iphone 5. To sum it up, I think apps are my weak spot and no I'm not talking about games (couldn't care less about games actually!aha) but there's so many apps that really do help me on a day to say basis like banking apps and transportation apps just to name a couple so yeah, pretty much the only thing keeping me from bb10 and the q10 is the lack of app information (and obviously that it's not on the shelves yet haha). So any z10 to q10 app information would be appreciated

Cheers
    02-13-13 01:09 AM
    Well, I think it'll be a problem for games that need the full resolution of the touch screen. For news apps and productivity apps, the resolution change shouldn't be that big an issue.
    02-13-13 01:17 AM
    I read somewhere that, developers can adjust all their apps to the Q10 resolution, with no extra work or coding.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-13-13 01:29 AM
    I read somewhere that, developers can adjust all their apps to the Q10 resolution, with no extra work or coding.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    If that's the case then that's very good news, however, if this was the case then what's the use for the dev alpha c devices if its as simple as charging the coding resolution
    02-13-13 01:33 AM
    If that's the case then that's very good news, however, if this was the case then what's the use for the dev alpha c devices if its as simple as charging the coding resolution
    I wouldn't say no extra work or coding but yes, it's fairly simple to adjust. Plus, those who do take the time to adjust their apps, you know are the better developers and care about their users. Great way to weed out the bad honestly. As witness on iOS and Android, those who update often get favored and the rest just becomes abandonware.
    SHOBOKSHY and Jake Storm like this.
    02-13-13 01:43 AM
    LOL

There is a different screen resolution. As developer i can say - it's not so easy as you think. Sometime it needs to change logic.
    02-13-13 03:28 AM
    i hope that all the most important and demanded BB10 apps will be adjusted especially for the Q10 aspect ratio of 1:1 - which implies a completely different screen layout / design compared to the 15:9 from the Z10!

The decision to start with two different aspect ratio (and screen resolution, too) doesn�t make it easier for developers and means fragmentation by birth... ;-(

And if there is ( hopefully ) more to come from Blackberry in meaning of device types / form factors ( keyboard plus larger screen for example ), that means even MORE different versions to develop and maintain by the programmers...
    02-13-13 04:54 AM
    LOL
    LOL
    I Think its ture.
    The focus of these SDK updates is not on net new functionality, but instead around updates needed to support the 1:1 form factor, and screen resolution, allowing you to easily build a single application for both the full touch and physical keyboard devices.
    In fact, in most cases your app will simply work right out of the box, but you can also easily make Q10 specific tweaks to your application using our built in framework additions.
    Thats what I understood from them

More here: BlackBerry Q10 SDK Update �BlackBerry Developer Blog
    TheScionicMan and EsJayDee like this.
    02-13-13 05:37 AM
    It's true that many apps for the Z10 may work for the Q10, but I think many devs will want to adjust their UI to make better use of the screen space. I certainly had to adjust my apps to fit properly. It didn't take very long, but still, it needs to be done.
    Also, apps submitted for the Z10 are not automatically listed for the Q10. Devs have to submit their apps selecting the Q10 as compatible. So that means that even if a Z10 app will work on the Q10, it won't be available unless the dev makes it available.
    02-13-13 08:13 AM
    This is exactly my dilemma. Currently picked up a z10. Love it. But I am missing the qwerty bad. I don't need that many apps...don't know that I will watch that much video content...that is what the PlayBook is for. Looking for news apps, the odd social app and of course CB.

Also screen size is a worry. Just don't know if it is big enough. Got along just fine with a 9900. Trying to visualize the size of the screen.

Sorry for the ramble..

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-13-13 10:01 AM
    The good news is that the aspect ration for the Q10 will remain at 1:1.
    The Z10 has a different resolution from the dev A devices and it will also have a different resolution from future all touch BlackBerry devices.
    02-13-13 08:38 PM
    What does the 1:1 ratio really mean? I am not a techy at all. Is that an easy fix for developers making apps for the Z10 to then be compatible on the Q10?

02-14-13 12:40 PM
    What does the 1:1 ratio really mean? I am not a techy at all. Is that an easy fix for developers making apps for the Z10 to then be compatible on the Q10?
    You have a widescreen TV right? Well, your TV's aspect ratio is likely 16:9. That is, for every sixteen pixels across there are nine down.

When people here refer to 1:1 that just means that there are the same number of pixels across as there are down on the Q10's screen. It is 720 pixels across and 720 pixels down.

In contrast, the Bold 9900 had 640 pixels across and 480 down for a 4:3 aspect ratio.

For apps, it kind of depends on what sort of app it is. For some of them, especially those who present information in a scrollable list format (imagine a Twitter or Facebook app) it isn't too much work to make them work on both aspect ratios; the software tools help you out a lot. For apps which need to nail down everything on the screen and make sure it is at an exact location, the transition will be harder (ie: many games)
    EsJayDee likes this.
    02-14-13 01:27 PM
    Thank Val. I appreciate the info. Sounds like some games may take a little work. Is it safe to assume that most text based apps (news) will be straightforward? Now the question......what device to get.

02-14-13 01:54 PM