Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    199 Global Posts

This could change in the near future. Especially with VZW and ATT going to the tiered data plans that have unlimited calling and texts.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NOZOAPP View Post
    Hello
    We Have NoZo App Project for free calls between BlackBerry & Android Devices
    you can check our blog
    BlackBerry&Android Free Calls ( true VOIP )
    Your app has little to do with the regular user who just wants to make regular phone calls routed via wifi. Blackberry on TMobile U.S. did this perfectly up thru OS6 phones.(UMA) Now BB and Android phones have seamless wifi calling - but to many of us is not quite as good as UMA was on TM and other systems in the world that used UMA.
    BB 9700 -- wife replaced her dying BB 8900 w. HTC 4G Slide 8/11. TM had no "up-to-date" BB at the time.
    T-Mobile U.S. (Waiting til next April to see whether to stick w. BB or go Android - if my phone lasts that long)
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    G 4.2.2.2

Quote Originally Posted by Emu the Foo View Post
    They announced bbm calling via wifi so does that count for what you want?
    No, because for starters the other party must have BBMV also.
    If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    G 4.2.2.2

Quote Originally Posted by raino View Post
    Why would you need to request service books? Don't they automatically get pushed once your device registers on the network?

WiFi calling is a software feature, UMA isn't. Here's the thing though: RIM hasn't completely abandoned the technology, even after carriers showed their indifference. The 9810 and the 9350/60/70 are UMA capable, and while the 9900 isn't, I think it still has WiFi calling.
    But, 9900 is.
    If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    G 4.2.2.2

I use UMA 95% of the time. Home, work both have WiFi. Most other places I go and sit have WiFi. While UMA isn't always as stable during extended calls, it is more than acceptable IMHO. It supplements my carrier's network deficiencies and allows connectivity in buildings where tower signal cannot penetrate.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by raino View Post
    Why would you need to request service books? Don't they automatically get pushed once your device registers on the network?

WiFi calling is a software feature, UMA isn't. Here's the thing though: RIM hasn't completely abandoned the technology, even after carriers showed their indifference. The 9810 and the 9350/60/70 are UMA capable, and while the 9900 isn't, I think it still has WiFi calling.
    It has been my experience that when I leave an area that has T-Mobile service and then try to UMA, the email doesn't work. I can make calls, but I don't get email unless I request service books. It could be a matter of how long you are away from a T-Mob tower. Some people just uma when they leave the street and go into an office building. In that case, I never had to request service books. But more often I leave town where there is no service, find some wifi, then have to request the service books. I'm on OS6 if that makes a difference.

Iif you are moving simcards between phones, I am pretty sure you will need to request service books since RIM "knows" your phone, not your simcard.

Note that UMA requires a certificate on your phone. T-Mob sends it to you somehow. I believe when you wipe the phone and then load a fresh OS, the certificate is sent. UMA is a black hole of sorts. The carriers probably don't like it because it could be hacked. That is, you are getting into their network using the internet as a gateway. This is very different from Skype, which is strictly a data service.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts

UMA - which is NOT on the OS7 phones - is embedded (at least to some extent) in the hardware. Wifi calling was put in OS7 phones several months after they were released by an OS update. The 9810, being an OS7 phone, does not have UMA. (for some reason T-Mobile stopped selling it after a month on the market. I think att still sells it - but they never had UMA.).

On service books - It seems to me I have to do that with each upgrade (re-register)
    On email over UMA - I never had a problem. Just turned off my cell tower connection - just leaving UMA, and sent two test emails (and received a couple) with no problem. I now am on OS6 w. a 9700. Always worked w. the first UMA capable phone onward (8320?)
    BB 9700 -- wife replaced her dying BB 8900 w. HTC 4G Slide 8/11. TM had no "up-to-date" BB at the time.
    T-Mobile U.S. (Waiting til next April to see whether to stick w. BB or go Android - if my phone lasts that long)
    llamax likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Default UMA Rogers BB10 hopefull

Blackberry 9800 Torch with Rogers UMA works seamlessly for over 2 years now. It was a pain to get it working with many hours of frustration dealing with Rogers Tech support. I live in an area without cell coverage so the UMA is essential for me to stay connected. All features work the same as on the cellular network with Rogers. Hand off between cellular and WiFi is seemless. With a good router and high speed WiFi connection UMA offers the same conversation quality as cellular. Very few Rogers Customer Service people or their Technicians understand UMA .

I am very interested in the new BB 10 phones but will only switch if they support UMA... I'll be watching closely for reports on the new phones.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,487 Global Posts

Any new information regarding UMA? This thread precedes the launch, so I was wondering if there was anything new since then.
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30

Want to find out which radio band your BB10 phone is currently on? UMTS, LTE (careful with escreens!)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12