Although I had high hopes after using a Blackberry 8700c with its fantastic keyboard for 6 years, I have found the BB-Q10 is not ready for prime time as far as I am concerned. I might try again in a few months. I spent several hours with Blackberry support (and one extremely knowledgeable support person that tried hard to resolve things as best he could).

1) The device would not connect to my in home WiFi network which is using WEP. I could connect it to a limited range WiFi network in my home using WPA2. Yet I have 6 other wireless devices (iPads, Samsung TV, Western Digital TV unit, Roku) that connected to the WEP network just fine. I did not wish to reprogram 6 other devices to be able to connect to the Q10 especially since there were other problems.

2) Blackberry Link 1.1.1.26 is unable to sync with Outlook contacts if you have too many contacts. I have over 2500. You receive a "Failed to commit changes to device" error. It appears that the update takes so long when you have a large number of contacts, that it times out. Blackberry Knowledge base KB34381 reports the issue several weeks ago and engineering is still working on an update t o BB-Link. I uploaded a 160Mb log file for tech support to examine and they verified all was working well but the software times out and aborts the entire update and nothing gets stored on the Q10. We did manage to get contacts in the device through some other means, but without BB-Link working right, updating contacts would be far too time consuming.

3) The first time BB-Link was connected to the Q10, it DOWNGRADED the software from release 10.1.0.2025 which was on the device, to 10.1.0.2006. Then each time you connect the Q10 to BB-Link it once again tells you to download a new software release, the same 10.1.0.2006. It does not recognize that it is already loaded into the device.

Unfortunately in an effort to keep the devices small, the keyboard of a Q10 can't stand up to the keyboard on the 8700. The 8700 keys were a bit larger and had a little space between them. I found the Q10 keyboard more difficult to use in its smaller form then the 8700. But it IS still better than the Z10, iPhone, or other virtual keyboards when it comes to a power Email user like myself who types small books on his Blackberry. So, after these initial problems are fixed, I will try the Q10 again. My days are limited and I will eventually be forced to switch as the 2G network the 8700 runs on is being phased out by ATT within the next two years. I have gone though no fewer than 15 BB8700's in the last 6 years (trackwheel faults, keys stop working, dust getting behind the glass of the display,...) but it has always been a great Email device and phone. So today, after packing up my Q10, I purchased 5 more BB8700's on eBay for $10 each and will hang in there for at least a year. Too bad. Such high hopes. I feel like I used rev 1.0 of a Microsoft product and we all know one should wait for 2.0 or the patches to 1.0 before using the software. The product is feature rich and looks nice, but Email and a good telephone service trumps apps and a camera for a heavy business user.

06-22-13 04:44 PM
    Wow. This is a unique story (seriously. I am not trolling.) What do you plan to do once the 2G network is phased out?
    06-22-13 04:53 PM
    First of all. Any blackberry that's 6 years old they keys are probably falling out by now + your os is so slow your probably typing so fast then waiting for the whole sentence to come out. And by the way if u knew anything about bbry, you would realize that the z10 and q10 both have better keyboards then any previous blackberry by a long shot
    Why I returned my Q10 in 2 days and sticking with my 6 year old BB8700c-img_00000025.png

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by elite1; 06-23-13 at 12:19 AM. Reason: removing profanity & rude language
    npunk42 likes this.
    06-22-13 05:04 PM
    8700C? WEP? Outlook desktop sync?

What year is this?

Just ribbing you, but in reality these are methods and tools of a previous generation...it may be time to teach an old dog some new tricks and embrace 2013 witchcraft with its WPA2, cloud syncing, and Q10! (in other words, "prime time")

Best of luck to you with your device of choice!
    06-22-13 05:05 PM
    ENOUGH with saying this phone is a downgrade. You're an ***** if you consider the Q10 a non-prime phone. Jeez find something else to do other than write three paragraphs on things that have been already said. Seriously.

Posted via CB10
    SK122387, shahyaz, SDTRMG and 2 others like this.
    06-22-13 05:13 PM
    The 8700 IS a great phone... one of my favs.. can't believe they go for $5

Posted via CB10
    And the 8700 is ready for prime-time? LOL

Posted via CB10
    Some like Porsche some like Lada
    06-22-13 05:21 PM
    You guys need to chill out on the guy, troll or not. It's the blasting on these boards at anyone who is suspected to be a troll that has people calling us crazy. As far as his issues, he's entitled to make his own conclusions about his device. Just take that news and wish him the best of luck. As far as WEP is concerned, I think that might be just a rare issue. My home network is WEP, without the SSID broadcasted, and 4 other devices that connect to it fine. 2 iPads, a Macbook, and my PlayStation 3. All I can say is that your situation is unfortunate but far from the norm. Good luck, hope to have you back on a Q10 soon. Cheers people.
    Why I returned my Q10 in 2 days and sticking with my 6 year old BB8700c-img_00000091.png

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 05:35 PM
    No doubt the BB10 whether the Z10 or Q10 are both ridiculously serious upgrades. I have both phones, one from work and one is my personal. I use to have 2 9930's. Was a great phone. While the Z10 and Q10 blow the old BB's away, there are some things missing and/or slightly more difficult to do with BB10. For example, no group lists for texting or emailing. Also, speed dialing takes more steps than actually just finding the contact with instant action. So there are some trade-offs, but either way i'll take my BB10's with 4G LTE, a billion times better UI, and all the new capabilities over the tiny things I lost or are slightly harder to do now.

Posted with my Q10, the best damn phone on the planet
    06-22-13 05:44 PM
    Get a 9900

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 05:49 PM
    No doubt the BB10 whether the Z10 or Q10 are both ridiculously serious upgrades. I have both phones, one from work and one is my personal. I use to have 2 9930's. Was a great phone. While the Z10 and Q10 blow the old BB's away, there are some things missing and/or slightly more difficult to do with BB10. For example, no group lists for texting or emailing. Also, speed dialing takes more steps than actually just finding the contact with instant action. So there are some trade-offs, but either way i'll take my BB10's with 4G LTE, a billion times better UI, and all the new capabilities over the tiny things I lost or are slightly harder to do now.

I think you'll see a lot of the missing functionality return with every BB10 OS upgrade. They are clearly re-introducing those features bit by bit. It will just take a bit of time as they have to beta test all of it on the new OS before they release it to the public.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 05:59 PM

Well put. Same here. Of course there's little things missing but everyday we're finding out about some of these being addressed for 10.2 so I really have nothing to gripe about.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 06:02 PM
    OP, your money spent so imo, those bashing posts are irrelevant, if you prefer use your older device it's your right.
    sorry to hear you couldn't keep the Q10 though, in my case, i'm one of those who thought i needed a physical keyboard but after adapting to my Z10, i don't think i'm going back to a physical keyboard. i also have a Q10 but didn't get a chance to use it extensively.
    06-22-13 06:08 PM
    I loved my 8700. It's the phone that really got me hooked on using a blackberry. Of course when I moved the the 8300 series, a whole new world opened up for me. I absolutely fell in love with my red 8310. That phone used to scare me at times with the powerful vibrate mechanism it had and the battery life was exceptional. Probably my next favorite would have been the 9700. I preferd the smaller size compared to the 9000 I had prior. Combine that with killer battery life and a trackpad and I was in heaven. #memories

After saying that.... there is no way that I could go back to that technology. I hated the phone anytime I tried to surf the Internet. And the archaic display would be tough to swallow after using the newer stuff.
    mkelley65 and DYLANHABKIRK like this.
    06-22-13 06:09 PM
    Your an *****. Stay off crackberry 10 forums. First of all.
    Not cool, that's not how we welcome people to CrackBerry forums. I would welcome you, but I would also ask that you allow everyone who has opinion the opportunity to opine, just like you have the chance. That's what makes CB a great place! Let's keep it that way!

Anyway to the OP... Welcome to the CrackBerry forums, I found your insight interesting although I might not agree with it, I find it fascinating that people can find ways to use any kind of technology! I mean unless electricity can't run through it all our tech can always serve some purpose! Interesting stuff...
    06-22-13 06:15 PM
    Guys... Quit the name calling and insulting. Just because he said that he doesn't like the Q10 doesn't mean you can start ripping on him. It doesn't make you all look any better.

These forums can't be a place for people to be attacked. Maybe those of you acting immaturely should take a look at the forum rules again?

This member is just voicing his concerns for the device. He gets his point across in a dignified manner. If there is no one like this to make complaints, then our devices will not get any better.

Please note that I am not supporting trolls that come here to rip on a device for about five hours. Even worse than that is when people respond to posts in a barbaic manner.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 06:17 PM
    Please note that I am not supporting trolls that come here to rip on a device for about five hours. Even worse than that is when people respond to posts in a barbaic manner.

Posted via CB10
    Well said. Although I disagree, both are equally bad, imo.

Posted via CB10
    MizzCrack and CarGuy1368 like this.
    06-22-13 06:22 PM
    Mr. Oskowitz, I am amazed that you had 15 8700's on six years. That must be a record. I don't think the Blackberry need concern themselves with fitting your unique customer profile. I suggest that you go with a ultra netbook with a mobile stick or try a 9900 or in your case several 9900's.

PS I do take note of your suggestion that the Q10 should be increased to 69.55 mm ( same as the 8700 to allow for bigger keys. A wider Q10 would also allow for a 3.5 inch screen ! Which would be better than 3.1 inches.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 06-22-13 at 07:11 PM.
    06-22-13 06:56 PM
    Well said. Although I disagree, both are equally bad, imo.

Posted via CB10
    Well, it depends I guess. Mostly it's equal, as you said.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 07:03 PM
    Although I had high hopes after using a Blackberry 8700c with its fantastic keyboard for 6 years, I have found the BB-Q10 is not ready for prime time as far as I am concerned. I might try again in a few months. I spent several hours with Blackberry support (and one extremely knowledgeable support person that tried hard to resolve things as best he could).

1) The device would not connect to my in home WiFi network which is using WEP. I could connect it to a limited range WiFi network in my home using WPA2. Yet I have 6 other wireless devices (iPads, Samsung TV, Western Digital TV unit, Roku) that connected to the WEP network just fine. I did not wish to reprogram 6 other devices to be able to connect to the Q10 especially since there were other problems.

2) Blackberry Link 1.1.1.26 is unable to sync with Outlook contacts if you have too many contacts. I have over 2500. You receive a "Failed to commit changes to device" error. It appears that the update takes so long when you have a large number of contacts, that it times out. Blackberry Knowledge base KB34381 reports the issue several weeks ago and engineering is still working on an update t o BB-Link. I uploaded a 160Mb log file for tech support to examine and they verified all was working well but the software times out and aborts the entire update and nothing gets stored on the Q10. We did manage to get contacts in the device through some other means, but without BB-Link working right, updating contacts would be far too time consuming.

3) The first time BB-Link was connected to the Q10, it DOWNGRADED the software from release 10.1.0.2025 which was on the device, to 10.1.0.2006. Then each time you connect the Q10 to BB-Link it once again tells you to download a new software release, the same 10.1.0.2006. It does not recognize that it is already loaded into the device.

Unfortunately in an effort to keep the devices small, the keyboard of a Q10 can't stand up to the keyboard on the 8700. The 8700 keys were a bit larger and had a little space between them. I found the Q10 keyboard more difficult to use in its smaller form then the 8700. But it IS still better than the Z10, iPhone, or other virtual keyboards when it comes to a power Email user like myself who types small books on his Blackberry. So, after these initial problems are fixed, I will try the Q10 again. My days are limited and I will eventually be forced to switch as the 2G network the 8700 runs on is being phased out by ATT within the next two years. I have gone though no fewer than 15 BB8700's in the last 6 years (trackwheel faults, keys stop working, dust getting behind the glass of the display,...) but it has always been a great Email device and phone. So today, after packing up my Q10, I purchased 5 more BB8700's on eBay for $10 each and will hang in there for at least a year. Too bad. Such high hopes. I feel like I used rev 1.0 of a Microsoft product and we all know one should wait for 2.0 or the patches to 1.0 before using the software. The product is feature rich and looks nice, but Email and a good telephone service trumps apps and a camera for a heavy business user.

This has to be a joke. Anyone who considers an 8700 over a new Q10 can't be serious. They're nearly incomparable. You need to realize that the OS is being tweaked, as with any new OS. The issues you were having could have been solved very very very easily, you just gave up too easily, and that makes your complaints very invalid.

The Q10 keyboard is arguably the BEST physical keyboard from BlackBerry. Not to mention the largest.

You really need to stop complaining, and suck it up. EVERY device on the market that has existed or ever will, is guaranteed to run into some issues. You gave up, and that's totally your choice. But don't expect us to molly coddle you because you were to lazy to find a simple solution. Good luck with your Dinosaurs, and good luck when they kill 2G.
    06-22-13 08:17 PM
    Lol Yall ripping this user a new a**hole
    06-22-13 09:14 PM
    My phone works fine on WEP.

Posted from my T-Mobile Z10, no longer on the Sprint Meh network.
    06-22-13 09:36 PM
    Your an *****. Stay off crackberry 10 forums. First of all. Any blackberry that's 6 years old they keys are probably falling out by now + your os is so slow your probably typing so fast then waiting for the whole sentence to come out. And by the way if u knew anything about bbry, you would realize that the z10 and q10 both have better keyboards then any previous blackberry by a long shot
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000025.png 
Views:	2083 
Size:	394.1 KB 
ID:	174943

Posted via CB10
    The OP isn't being a troll, but he is raising legitimate issues about wifi in bb10, and blackberry link. As some have pointed out already, the OS is rapidly advancing and soon these kinds of issues will be resolved.

Although I think putting down the keyboard is a bit ridiculous. At least he didn't say "so I'm switching to an iphone 5" lol.

His post was intelligent and raised legitimate problems. I think you should save this kind of reaction for people who are making deliberately inflammatory, and stupid posts.

I call out trolls too, because they are starting to ruin this forum. Although I haven't been a member for long I lurked here for many years and I do feel that it used to be way better

I actually just called out a troll on the "blackberry q10 not for medical professionals" thread. That was because he said that a doctor using bb10 would be putting people's lives at risk, a statement which is clearly absurd and stupid.

Posted via CB10
    MizzCrack likes this.
    06-22-13 10:47 PM
    This is just ridiculous talk. The q10 is by far the best BlackBerry with a keyboard to date. I mean my favorite BlackBerry was the 8330. But comparing it to the q10 would be crazy. I mean try to load up a Web page on that awesome 8700 what ever it is your telling me that it handles it better then the q10? I'm glad the world does not think the way you do or we would be done for lol anyways good luck with those antiques my friend ... can it even play music? can you plug headphones in to it? Does it take pictures? Does it have gps? And your saying the q10 looks like a version 1.0 come on and be honest with your self stop this kind of madness

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 11:57 PM
66 123