Why doesn't the OLED display doesn't go pure black when the alarm clock is activated?

I understand the point of an OLED display is so that individual pixels can be totally switched off to save power. The alarm clock mode already goes *almost* black, but there is still a square of grey surrounding the clock. I was thinking how cool the alarm clock would look if only the clock face glowed in the night - the rest of the screen being slightly lit spoils the effect.

I know that switching parts of the screen off it technically possible because if you do a security wipe on the Q10 it shows a thin rectanglular graphic with the 'erase' logo on it - presumably this graphic was built for the Z10 and never changed for the Q10, but at either side of the graphic the screen is pitch black (off) rather than dimly lit in grey.
    01-14-14 05:13 AM
    I think it's the other pixels from the clock that are illuminating the display, like the light is overflowing inside the glass.

It might be the same in other phones like the Samsung GS3, but I haven't taken the time to notice.

It would be very cool to have a floating clock next to my bed, though

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    01-14-14 07:16 AM
    Interessting. Tbh, I have no idea why that's the case. Hope another member might have an explanation
    01-14-14 07:16 AM
    I think it's the other pixels from the clock that are illuminating the display, like the light is overflowing inside the glass.
    It isn't overflowing light - if you ever have to do a "security wipe" on your Q10 you'll be able to see that parts of the screen are true black (off) - it appears to be a deliberate choice to have the pixels on behind the clock.
    CarGuy1368 likes this.
    01-14-14 08:02 AM
    OP, what OS are you on

Take at look at my screen shots below, I don't see the issue you're talking about present, but maybe its just my eyes!

Immediately after putting the phone into bedside mode:
    Why doesn't the OLED go "pure black"?-img_20131399.png

After 7 seconds:
    Why doesn't the OLED go "pure black"?-img_20131398.png

Immediately after putting the phone into bedside mode:
    Why doesn't the OLED go "pure black"?-img_20131401.png

After 7 seconds:
    Why doesn't the OLED go "pure black"?-img_20131400.png
    01-14-14 10:06 AM
    The OP is right.

Plug your phone in the charger, and activate bedside mode. Now here is the trick, turn off the lights of the room! You will see what the OP is talking about, there is a definitely a slight illumination which I also wish would go away. As a matter of fact, in an extremely dark room, it's quite annoying and I stopped using it because of this.
    01-14-14 11:21 AM
    Here is an actual picture taken with my Z10. It's quite dim to the point that the camera won't pick it up. I needed to edit it using the built in editing tools to make the lighting appear. First pic is the edited one and the second one is the original. Notice the faint lighting in the first pic.

Why doesn't the OLED go "pure black"?-img_20140114_202531_edit.jpg

Why doesn't the OLED go "pure black"?-img_20140114_202531.jpg

Posted via CB10...
    01-14-14 11:28 AM
    I don't notice because when I'm sleeping my eye balls are closed
    CarGuy1368 and Thunderbuck like this.
    01-14-14 01:51 PM
    I don't notice because when I'm sleeping my eye balls are closed
    Yes, but to go to sleep you have to be awake first!

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    Vector-SS and vaioman like this.
    01-14-14 02:04 PM
    I still wish to get sleeping screen on Q10 as on N9 one day...

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 04:35 PM
    So if the problem doesn't appear in the screen captures, it has to be overflowing light.

And you don't need to do a security wipe to see true black, you can just turn your phone off, or let your screen time out.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 04:47 PM
    The OP is right.

Plug your phone in the charger, and activate bedside mode. Now here is the trick, turn off the lights of the room! You will see what the OP is talking about, there is a definitely a slight illumination which I also wish would go away. As a matter of fact, in an extremely dark room, it's quite annoying and I stopped using it because of this.
    Just lock the screen after putting your phone in bedside. This shuts it off completely without the illumination of the orange clock also

Posted via CB10 for Z10
    01-14-14 05:26 PM
    So if the problem doesn't appear in the screen captures, it has to be overflowing light.

And you don't need to do a security wipe to see true black, you can just turn your phone off, or let your screen time out.

Posted via CB10
    While I never noticed it during a wipe, I believe the op was mentioning that during the phone wipe, there is lighting (that weird symbol) but no overflow, hence asking why it's not possible when the clock comes on.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 10:40 PM
    Just lock the screen after putting your phone in bedside. This shuts it off completely without the illumination of the orange clock also

Posted via CB10 for Z10
    But that defies the entire purpose of the beautiful bedside mode clock, doesn't it?

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 10:41 PM
    Huh. You're right, the whole screen is still on

~Sent via Carrier Pigeon~ Q10SQN100-1/10.2.1.1055
    01-14-14 11:26 PM
    I'd assume it's the back light that may be on.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 11:30 PM
    OLEDs don't have back light.

//Some forum moderators are like communist
    So how do we increase/decrease brightness?

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 01:09 PM
    So how do we increase/decrease brightness?

Posted via CB10
    The brightness of an OLED screen's pixels are dependent on how much power its getting, so it just changes the power the pixels are getting.
    mithrazor likes this.
    01-15-14 01:15 PM