Now that the Q10 web pages seem to be up at the Canadian cellular carriers, I took a moment to compare them. It looks like the Rogers Q10 will be different than the others and a bit quicker. Is this related to having a higher LTE frequency, ay 2600mhz? Will the Rogers Q10 be able to roam on the American networks and still get LTE? Is AT&T using the same frequencies as Rogers?

http://www.rogers.com/web/link/wirel...tailed=RIMNBLK

Specifications - BlackBerry Q10 superphone from Bell Mobility | Bell Canada
    04-29-13 08:18 AM
    I think it might be because rogers has been working hard to release the higher LTE band of 2600, where as others are still on the older ones. They just ahead of the game
    04-29-13 08:42 AM
    I think it might be because rogers has been working hard to release the higher LTE band of 2600, where as others are still on the older ones. They just ahead of the game
    Bingo!

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 09:54 AM
    Will the Rogers Z10 be able to get LTE on AT&T when roaming in the USA, or will it be limited to HSPA+? Is there an American Carrier that uses the 2100 and 2600mhz for LTE? In other words, will we see Rogers create roaming agreements with other American carriers?
    dobiefan likes this.
    04-29-13 12:12 PM
    "Will the Rogers Q10 be able to roam on the American networks and still get LTE? Is AT&T using the same frequencies as Rogers?"

No and no, if I am reading this Wiki page correctly. No U.S. carrier is using 2600. ATT uses 700 and 1700.
    List of LTE networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    04-29-13 12:19 PM
    "Will the Rogers Q10 be able to roam on the American networks and still get LTE? Is AT&T using the same frequencies as Rogers?"

No and no, if I am reading this Wiki page correctly. No U.S. carrier is using 2600. ATT uses 700 and 1700.
    List of LTE networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This is correct. The Rogers Q10 will not work with American carriers for LTE. You can get LTE in the UK though.

Q10 Models and Supported Frequencies
    04-29-13 12:48 PM
    This is correct. The Rogers Q10 will not work with American carriers for LTE. You can get LTE in the UK though.

Q10 Models and Supported Frequencies
    Does this mean the early adopters in the USA should not import a Rogers Q10, but get a Bell instead?
    04-29-13 01:03 PM
    Bell and Telus are selling the SQN100-5 which supports LTE and HSPA+ on AT&T and T-Mobile for $700. Koodo (subsidiary of Telus) will sell the same version for $625, so it's your best option economically and in terms of carrier support.
    04-29-13 01:13 PM
    Does this mean the early adopters in the USA should not import a Rogers Q10, but get a Bell instead?
    Bell and Telus are selling the SQN100-5 which supports LTE and HSPA+ on AT&T and T-Mobile for $700. Koodo (subsidiary of Telus) will sell the same version for $625, so it's your best option economically and in terms of carrier support.
    Correct, do not get a Rogers version. Telus/Koodo is the best version, and Bell is near. According to Bell's specifications page, their model (presumably xx-1) doesn't have support for HSPA on the 1700mhz frequency. Koodo is by far the cheapest but they have much less supply than Telus and it's extremely difficult, in my experience, to buy a phone outright from them (without signing up for a contract).
    04-29-13 02:11 PM
    Correct, do not get a Rogers version. Telus/Koodo is the best version, and Bell is near. According to Bell's specifications page, their model (presumably xx-1) doesn't have support for HSPA on the 1700mhz frequency. Koodo is by far the cheapest but they have much less supply than Telus and it's extremely difficult, in my experience, to buy a phone outright from them (without signing up for a contract).
    According to their specs page, yes. Initially I assumed that Bell would carry the same version as Rogers since they are in the process of deploying some 2600MHz LTE, however their website doesn't indicate that, either. There's a thread around here claiming to have confirmed with Bell that they will carry the SQN100-5, and since Bell was so late to the game in getting their Q10 stuff up, I imagine it's inaccurate though it could go either way.

Edit: Just checked the Rogers site and their frequency information is incongruent with BlackBerry's as well. Only one model (SQN100-3) supports 2600MHz LTE, and Rogers omits any mention of its support for 800 and 900MHz HSPA, 800, 900 and 1900MHz LTE and lists support for 2100MHz LTE where the official disclosure does not. So... It's basically a **** show.
    Last edited by IllmasterMathematics; 04-29-13 at 04:02 PM.
    04-29-13 03:05 PM
    Also anyone considering moving to Rogers to take advantage of the 'faster' LTE should remember that it's only theoretically faster. LTE at 2100MHz still doesn't come close to touching 75Mbps.
    04-29-13 03:55 PM
    Also anyone considering moving to Rogers to take advantage of the 'faster' LTE should remember that it's only theoretically faster. LTE at 2100MHz still doesn't come close to touching 75Mbps.
    I am already with Rogers, so no need to move. Both Bell and Rogers also quote the practical speeds and the Rogers range of speeds was still quicker then Bell.
    04-29-13 04:01 PM
    According to their specs page, yes. Initially I assumed that Bell would carry the same version as Rogers since they are in the process of deploying some 2600MHz LTE, however their website doesn't indicate that, either. There's a thread around here claiming to have confirmed with Bell that they will carry the SQN100-5, and since Bell was so late to the game in getting their Q10 stuff up, I imagine it's inaccurate though it could go either way.

Edit: Just checked the Rogers site and their frequency information is incongruent with BlackBerry's as well. Only one model (SQN100-3) supports 2600MHz LTE, and Rogers omits any mention of its support for 800 and 900MHz HSPA, 800, 900 and 1900MHz LTE and lists support for 2100MHz LTE where the official disclosure does not. So... It's basically a **** show.
    Intriguing. The Rogers page used to have different specifications that made it match the model -3. With these new specs they would either be offering two versions of the phone (based on region perhaps?) or they have a different model of phone. It will be interesting to see what the answer is.
    04-29-13 05:14 PM
    I have done speed tests and compared bell LTE with rogers LTE in Kitchener Ontario with a samsung galaxy s3, I was pulling download speeds of approx 29 mbps with rogers and 13 mbps with bell, I'm sure it's different in other part of the province or country, but that's what it is for where I'm at.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 07:01 PM
    Why does 100 vs 75 matter? You'll never even come close to using that much throughput.

And for those on recent data plans (at least Canadians)... you're gonna be tethering on your 1 or 2GB data plans?
    Shoryuken likes this.
    04-29-13 09:05 PM
    I just picked up my Rogers Q10 and asked about roaming on LTE in the USA . The answer was it would probably only get 4G when in the USA. Their system had two Q10 SKU for the Q10, one marked for USA. I guess this means there will be a choice of a different model if you spend a lot of the time in the USA roaming and want LTE. The unit i received was a SQN100-3.
    05-01-13 09:38 AM
    6 gigs of data for $20... let's Rock!
    05-01-13 10:22 AM
    FWIW (as a carrier of multiple aircards)

Rogers: usually faster in urban areas, but smaller LTE coverage area.
    Telus/Bell: slightly slower in urban areas, much larger LTE coverage area.

Because of my travelling I have a Telus phone. It's saved me more than once especially in rural areas where Rogers has coverage but it sucks or has allocated VERY little spectrum.
    05-01-13 05:23 PM
    It's because of the different bands that they use. From the little knowledge i have on the different frequencies, it means they have different wave lengths, shorter vs longer wave lengths, one penetrates walls and obstructions better and one travels longer distances, not sure which is which but I'm sure a google search will explain better, so my guess is the faster shorter wavelengths will transfer at faster speeds whereas the longer wavelengths will give slower transfer speeds. This is what I remember from my physics class 10 years ago lol

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 06:39 PM
    Yup I talked to a friend that works for Rogers and it looks like they will be carrying SQN100-3 and probably SQN100-1 like Bell and Telus. I'd imagine availability will be low for a while and SQN100-3 will be pushed more with you having to request the other model.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 06:47 PM
    I would consider the -3 model to have better value given better "roaming" ability. The 100mbps throughput is theoretical and honestly, at what point do you need that kind of speed? It's getting to the megapixel race. "OOoo I have 24mp on my phone! but it's a crappy plastic lens."

I'd be interested to see how much the Z10/Q10 can really do while tethered. Hmm.. maybe I'll try some tethered speedtests tonight on my Z10.

Remember that Rogers/Telus/Bell's LTE implementation is technically NOT LTE nor considered 4G until marketing geniuses took over.

Having the slightly slower system may give Telus the foot up in terms of spectrum efficiency as Rogers has a lot more spectrum (overall) than Telus.

Rogers uses Ericsson for their RAN, Telus uses Huawei for both HSPA and LTE infrastructure, perhaps the 75mbps implementation was cheaper and can reuse more existing gear? Dunno.
    05-01-13 07:00 PM
    Yup I talked to a friend that works for Rogers and it looks like they will be carrying SQN100-3 and probably SQN100-1 like Bell and Telus. I'd imagine availability will be low for a while and SQN100-3 will be pushed more with you having to request the other model.

Posted via CB10
    Picked up the Rogers Black Q10 this morning, it's running on SQN100-3.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 07:43 PM