I currently have an iPhone 5. I love it! What I don't love though is the bad battery life and the fact that it's a touch phone. Here is where my want for a Blackberry phone comes in.

I'm wondering: Will I get the same user experience I get from an iphone- on a Blackberry? By this I mean apps (spotify, skype, snapchat, social media apps...), chats, messages etc. I find my iPhone very helpful when it comes to apps. This because I have apps that help me study (pomodoro), games to make time pass and skype to keep me connected to my family outside of the country.

I will not have BIS on my phone though. Will this be a problem when it comes to apps or anything else?

Please help me see the reasons to why I should choose a Blackberry, not just concerning apps. I had a Blackberry a couple of years ago and I remember that the app selection at the time was bad, but now I've heard that it shares the same apps as android phones?

Additional question: I come from a country where information on Blackberry phones are limited. I want to buy a Blackberry q10, but I would think Blackberry would release new phones soon (not the passport one)?

Thanks for the help!
    hindsketchup238 and jl24 like this.
    01-03-15 05:15 AM
    No BIS won't be a problem unless your operator makes it, BB10 phones just need a data plan like your iphone or any other smartphone.

You'll probably fit right into BB10, the UI is smooth as hell, you will be used to the Homescreen icon layout from IOS and the BB Hub makes notifications a pleasure.

BB10 supports 98% of Android Apps, those with Google Play services would need a hackish thing to install play services, but overall it along with native and Web Apps it does the job well.

Battery life depends on model and usage really, ones like the z10 are utter awful, maybe the new Classic (came out very lately) is what you should be looking at, the q10 can suffer from some double typing issues.
    01-03-15 05:25 AM
    The Classic with OS 10.3.1 run all android apps smoothly, I've been using snapchat, instagram, skype, Google maps, all banks apps and some other not famous apps they all work greaaaat. Even my friend has the Passport and they all run very smoothly. They even take 1 second to open as if they are a native app.

Really happy with OS 10.3.1 that comes with the classic and 10.3.0 with the passport.

Get the classic you won't be disappointed at all.

Posted via CB10
    jl24 likes this.
    01-03-15 06:01 AM
    Good solid phones, for communication and work, but not for apps. The BB Q10 is a very good phone that's suits me, having changed from a Nexus 4. Not the best for apps or games, a workhorse not a toy.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 01:32 PM
    "I currently have an iPhone 5. I love it!" Congratulations live with your choice, enjoy.
    01-03-15 03:06 PM
    Easy to use, solid, fan of Amoled screens, fast. I am no huge tech junkie and I am really satisfied with my BlackBerry.

BlackBerry Q10
    01-03-15 03:47 PM
    I was using an iPhone 3Gs and switched to the BlackBerry Q10. Apps aren't a problem and when the updated OS releases in February it will have even tighter integration with android apps. Skype, tune in radio, amazon music, face, tweet, and the rest are all here.

Not everything is as simple as on the iPhone, but I really enjoy this phone, the Hub and the qwerty keyboard. It's what makes a BlackBerry a BlackBerry.

My only complaint is selecting text. It's probably the worst of the big phone makers.

Posted using CB 10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    01-03-15 08:34 PM
    My only complaint is selecting text. It's probably the worst of the big phone makers.
    Just type "help select text" in Universal Search, and tap the first entry. I'm sure you will learn something
    falcon88 likes this.
    01-04-15 11:42 AM
    Thanks for all the responses! It helped alot! And yes, I love the iPhone, but even after two years I'm not getting better at typing on a touch phone. So I'm guessing I'll be getting a Blackberry soon!
    01-04-15 01:10 PM
    Reading everyone's posts I believe I am going to get the classic, I currently have the Q10 and my issue is oovoo or skype...I can not do those apps, but since the Classic runs those apps I am moving in that direction

Posted via CB10
    01-04-15 01:51 PM
    I use my Q for all my texting, emailing, Mapping and internetting on the go. I have an ipod touch for music, games, and other fun stuff. If you already have the iphone, you can always keep it and use it on wifi for those apps/things that you can't get on the BB. Think about how much you're already using wifi for those things anyway, especially if you don't have an unlimited data plan.
    01-04-15 02:05 PM
    Because Battery on Q10 is a Beast... That's all you 'll ever need on a phone.. SMART PHONE.
    bbnrs likes this.
    01-04-15 02:23 PM
    Just came from an iPhone 6 and back to a Blackberry Q10. Love it. Best decision I have made in a long time.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 03:01 PM
    I moved from iPhone 5 to Q10 because I was using my iPhone only for messages and reading. Now im on passport and I thought twice before I purchased this and not iPhone 6. While is great phone for what I do you should realise that is a very lacking of applications. Even the apps in BlackBerry world are useless. I purchased one app and never used it. This never happened with iPhone apps.

However I happy with BlackBerry passport because I don't really need many apps.

Passport
    01-05-15 03:56 PM
    Because you can write text message while watching football on tv.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 04:07 PM
    Typing short emails and texts are fantastic on the passport.
    Anything else is lacking. The app situation is poor vs my windows phone. I have zero staff available as native, I've found abot 50% of my needs via Snap, and 50% is unfortunately totally incompatible. They install via Snap, but don't run.
    I wish BlackBerry would be 100% compatible with android apps. My day to day experience: in fact the only good thing is the keyboard, the software side is about three years behind the others.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 06:12 PM
    I have a parallel Acer E700 trio, about150�, does everything smoothly.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-15 06:13 PM
    If you make the jump from your iPhone 5 to a Q10, I think there will be 3 things you'll miss:
    1. Screen real estate. There's no 2 ways about it, the Q10 has a smaller screen. This means you'll have to put your apps in more folders or swipe to more pages, and you'll have to scroll more when reading and surfing. The Q10's 1:1 ratio screen makes it hard to view some pictures (they're small to fit the screen).
    2. Ease of use. IOS is super user friendly. Maybe even too friendly. If my 2 year old can maneuver my wife's ipad, i'm sure it has to be the most simple os on the planet. This may not be a good thing for everyone, but there will be a learning curve for you to get used to bb10.
    3. As mentioned, apps. Not only does IOS have a bazillion apps, they all seem to work extremely well, even the crappy ones work well. Most games that my kids play are rich in graphics and fluid. My android tablet feels like junk when using the same apps compared to my wifr's ipad. Bb10 may be able to get some android apps, but they don't work as well or as fast. So games will unfortunately be lacking on the Q10. But that's fine by me as I usually only play word games anyway and they work fine on my Q10.

Having said that, based on your needs that you explained, here are some things that I think you'll love about the Q10:
    1. The hub. This is bb10's crowning achievement for most users that I've spoken to. It's where all your messaging needs come in and are dealt with. Emails, texts, social media, all are congregated in on place. And the best thing about this magical place is that it's only a screen swipe away... from ANYWHERE on the phone!
    2. The physical size and design of the phone. A little smaller than the iPhone, and fits well in your pocket. The glass weave back is to die for, for me at least. And with a removable (and thus replaceable with a fully charged spare if need be) battery, you don't have to worry about those heavy days of messaging and video chatting.
    3. The physical keyboard. It's great. I love being able to walk and text at the same time, and I love how I didn't have to rely on an unreliable auto correct to fix my mistakes, because I didn't even have to turn auto correct on because typos were far and few between. And with a physical keyboard, I could literally feel when I made a mistake anyway and I could go back instantly to correct it.
    4. The os as related to a physical keyboard. Think shortcuts. A lot of them. Nuff said.
    5. True multitasking. You sound like the kind of person that would like few apps open at a time, and switching back and forth through them with ease. Well, bb10 is really the solution for that need.

Having said aaaalllll that, the best thing is to just find a q10 somewhere and try it out. See how you like the gestures, the keyboard, and the whole feel of the phone. Because really, no one can make the right decision for you but you.

Good luck, man.

Posted via CB10
    workittywork likes this.
    01-07-15 12:46 AM
    I currently have an iPhone 5. I love it! What I don't love though is the bad battery life and the fact that it's a touch phone. Here is where my want for a Blackberry phone comes in.

I'm wondering: Will I get the same user experience I get from an iphone- on a Blackberry? By this I mean apps (spotify, skype, snapchat, social media apps...), chats, messages etc. I find my iPhone very helpful when it comes to apps. This because I have apps that help me study (pomodoro), games to make time pass and skype to keep me connected to my family outside of the country.

I will not have BIS on my phone though. Will this be a problem when it comes to apps or anything else?

Please help me see the reasons to why I should choose a Blackberry, not just concerning apps. I had a Blackberry a couple of years ago and I remember that the app selection at the time was bad, but now I've heard that it shares the same apps as android phones?

Additional question: I come from a country where information on Blackberry phones are limited. I want to buy a Blackberry q10, but I would think Blackberry would release new phones soon (not the passport one)?

Thanks for the help!
    my main device of choice is the BlackBerry Q10.
    i use an iPhone 5s for multimedia, iMessage and emailing.

as for apps i dont use the phone (either) for anything other than the rudimentary. let me explain further.

min phone Q10: calls, BBHub, emailing, Twitter, LinkedIn, SMS, iGrann, WhatsApp, WeChat etc
    2nd phone (data only sim) 5s: any multimedia (screen), as above, Pinterest, a little gaming, DropBox, emailing, iMessage, FaceTime, WeChat, Skype etc

what i find is that my battery use is maximised with both devices. i have the best of both worlds. as for battery life, the Q10 is great for 1 days heavy use, i always charge the Q10 overnight. the 5s will get me through over 2 days of moderate use - used as a data only device, tethered to a MacBook Air when i'm out and about and need the screen size.

on a daily basis i find the Q10 adequate and more accurate for collating all my communication needs in one place. as for multimedia the 5s is best for that.
    01-07-15 01:31 AM
    The iphone has a near-flawless user experience and has support for many software programs and hardware devices you can't go wrong with it. It also has a very capable camera. If I could only have one piece of tech it would be an iPhone.

The Q10 is about the keyboard experience and is better suited for someone that uses multiple devices. It feels better (to me) than any of the iphones and because of its durable, stylish design I run mine naked.

The iphone just works like you think it should. Plug it into a stereo, computer or other device and it does what you want it to without fuss. I still can't get my BlackBerry 10 device to play music over USB to my Sony car stereo. Something my 2008 iPhone 3Gs has no problem doing. Apple also has the best version of most apps (again, in my opinion) . Their standards are high for developers and it shows.

Speaking of apps, BlackBerry now has the Amazon app store, Apple has their own ecosystem. You'll probably be able to find the apps you want on either, but the Q10 has that screen size issue on some apps whereas all apps will run as expected on the iPhone. It's not a problem in my experience, but it's bound to be for some users.

Finally, selecting text and moving the software cursor is perfect on iDevices. BlackBerry could take a lesson here.

The  Q10 has its own benefits too. The qwerty keyboard is top notch. I enjoy using the universal search function and I hope that future updates will allow for call receiving (and ending)using a key press. The long-lasting removable battery and battery pack option means you'll never have to plug your phone in or be inconvenienced by charging. As I mentioned earlier this phone doesn't need a case whereas you'll be hard pressed to find an iPhone that isn't bundled up like the baby Jesus in winter. The Q10 is just that durable and replacing almost any broken part can be accomplished by the lay YouTuber.

You pretty much get what you pay for with these two devices, but my new BlackBerry Q10 was $150 with a holster and screen protector . An iPhone 5 will run you at least $100 more and require a case and screen protector unless you're feeling lucky, punk.

Probably the largest point of contention between these two devices is the screen size. While at times I wish I had another few cm's for certain apps I really like the compact screen. Try an iPhone and you'll see that your thumb obscures a third of the screen most of the time. On the Q10 I can type, scroll, and even play games with the keyboard, so it's a wash really. But preferring to use the keyboard I feel it's a win for BlackBerry.

In fact this entire post was typed on the Q10's keyboard without feeling cumbersome. It's incredible what physical keys and BlackBerry's new word prediction software can do. Swype'ing digital keyboards doesn't come close (again, this is my personal feeling).

You won't be able to browse the web in landscape and some apps won't work as intended on the 1:1 screen (though I hear this issue is addressed with the next software update). You will have an awesome keyboard, a vast majority of beautifully functioning apps, a pleasant browsing experience especially in reader mode, and improved battery life. If this sounds like a good trade-off then the Q10 might work for you.

 Posted with my Q10 using CB10
    Last edited by jmhaines; 01-08-15 at 11:14 AM.
    iRetired and jlazNYC like this.
    01-08-15 09:05 AM
    The iphone has a near-flawless user experience and has support for many software programs and hardware devices you can't go wrong with it. It also has a very capable camera. If I could only have one piece of tech it would be an iPhone.

The Q10 is about the keyboard experience and is better suited for someone that uses multiple devices. It feels better (to me) than any of the iphones and because of its durable, stylish design I run mine naked.

The iphone just works like you think it should. Plug it into a stereo, computer or other device and it does what you want it to without fuss. I still can't get my BlackBerry 10 device to play music over USB to my Sony car stereo. Something my 2008 iPhone 3Gs has no problem doing. Apple also has the best version of most apps (again, in my opinion) . Their standards are high for developers and it shows.

Speaking of apps, BlackBerry now has the Amazon app store, Apple has their own ecosystem. You'll probably be able to find the apps you want on either, but the Q10 has that screen size issue on some apps whereas all apps will run as expected on the iPhone. It's not a problem in my experience, but it's bound to be for some users.

Finally, selecting text and moving the software cursor is perfect on iDevices. BlackBerry could take a lesson here.

The  Q10 has its own benefits too. The qwerty keyboard is top notch. I enjoy using the universal search function and I hope that future updates will allow for call receiving (and ending)using a key press. The long-lasting removable battery and battery pack option means you'll never have to plug your phone in or be inconvenienced by charging. As I mentioned earlier this phone doesn't need a case whereas you'll be hard pressed to find an iPhone that isn't bundled up like the baby Jesus in winter. The Q10 is just that durable and replacing almost any broken part can be accomplished by the lay YouTuber.

You pretty much get what you pay for with these two devices, but my new BlackBerry Q10 was $150 with a holster and screen protector . An iPhone 5 will run you at least $100 more and require a case and screen protector unless you're feeling lucky, punk.

Probably the largest point of contention between these two devices is the screen size. While at times I wish I had another few cm's for certain apps I really like the compact screen. Try an iPhone and you'll see that your thumb obscures a third of the screen most of the time. On the Q10 I can type, scroll, and even play games with the keyboard, so it's a wash really. But preferring to use the keyboard I feel it's a win for BlackBerry.

In fact this entire post was typed on the Q10's keyboard without feeling cumbersome. It's incredible what physical keys and BlackBerry's new word prediction software can do. Swype'ing digital keyboards doesn't come close (again, this is my personal feeling).

You won't be able to browse the web in landscape and some apps won't work as intended on the 1:1 screen (though I hear this issue is addressed with the next software update). You will have an awesome keyboard, a vast majority of beautifully functioning apps, a pleasant browsing experience especially in reader mode, and improved battery life. If this sounds like a good trade-off then the Q10 might work for you.

 Posted with my Q10 using CB10
    Well said my friend, well said

� Blackberry Q10 � Running Hybrid OS Leak: 10.3.1.1949 � Radio: 1154 � Smooth Sailing/�Chilling
    01-09-15 01:54 PM
    To make time - Q10
    To kill it - iphones

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 04:35 PM
    This posting has some serious commentary, which has led to my thoughts appearing here aswell. My concern is I have never felt compelled to visit other forums regarding non-bb users and asking them about their phones. I noticed however that all kinds of users visit crackberry - even non-bb users. Anyone noticed?
    01-10-15 08:17 AM
    This posting has some serious commentary, which has led to my thoughts appearing here aswell. My concern is I have never felt compelled to visit other forums regarding non-bb users and asking them about their phones. I noticed however that all kinds of users visit crackberry - even non-bb users. Anyone noticed?
    I've noticed. BlackBerry > all

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 09:48 AM
    I would say no. To clarify, is this he 5 or 5s?

I'm sure users will tell you what you can do to make the experience similar but I feel they are completely different experiences. Side loading apps and progs that don't run smoothly don't offer appealing substitutes.
    If you have lots of apps and frequent many, I would say the bb won't fulfill this area. Have a look at the ones available. If there are ways through android apps from the the Amazon App Store, I doubt the experience will be as fluid as the iPhone. Even the built for blackberry apps native to the phone like Facebook and Twitter aren't as good as on the iPhone nor an android.

If you really want to make the move to bb.... Which I would recommend to some.
    Prepare to simply things. A few keys apps with a store that is always adding. A strange alien OS that is top shelf once you get the hang of it.
    How can I go on about the keyboard when I know people swear their love for the touchscreen? The physical keyboard to me is just too good.
    I personally do not like the touchscreen if my iPhone 5s. 1 more year and I will be back to my beloved blackberry.
    I think your initial response will be that the bb is a "boring " phone. With time and commitment, I discovered blackberries to be the phone maker for me.

Ps. I only proofread and changed the mistakes in the first half of my post. The time I waste on this bs iPhone fixing grammar and spelling mistakes is tiresome
    01-10-15 11:57 AM
38 12