I've got a BB Q10 and after BB decided to release BBM on other platforms, I insisted my friends to use BBM instead of other apps like Whatsapp. But the problem is I can only use the BBM when im connected to a wi fi and whenever i disconnect it stops sending msgs. My data is turned on and i can surf the web or use other apps like whatsapp but BBM doesn't send msgs on data. my friends can send msgs with their ios and android phones with data but i simply can't. is there any solution for that?
    masseh likes this.
    10-27-13 12:10 PM
    There is no reason for that. I don't have wifi at work and I use BBM all day on my 4G plan.
    dollface likes this.
    10-27-13 01:13 PM
    Can you take it to your carrier and let them check it out?

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 02:58 PM
    Same problem with me on BlackBerry z10, very annoyed please help
    06-27-14 03:53 PM
    When you are on mobile data with WiFi shut off is there a BlackBerry symbol next to your signal bar?
    Does your carrier have you on the correct data plan?
    Did it work before and stop suddenly?
    Has it been like this the whole time you've had it?
    Did you try a network reboot (airplane mode on and then off)?
    Did you try a reboot?
    Did you try a battery pull?

Q10SQN100-1/10.2.1.2273
    06-27-14 11:29 PM
    Interesting. I wonder about this as well because my carrier (Koodo) counts BBM messages as texts on my plan.
    06-28-14 02:53 AM
    Interesting. I wonder about this as well because my carrier (Koodo) counts BBM messages as texts on my plan.
    I don't know this carrier, but do they actually charge for the bbm messages?

Are you using a legacy device with BIS or a BB 10 device?
    06-28-14 04:02 AM
    OP, little more information, please. Carrier, location? In our country, there is only one carrier that bbm won't work over carrier data.

This is because that carrier has never offered BlackBerry services in the past, hence never had BlackBerry APN routing, hence no BBM.

Sent from pin:2AD743B7 via Tapatalk Pro
    06-28-14 04:08 AM
    I've got a BB Q10 and after BB decided to release BBM on other platforms, I insisted my friends to use BBM instead of other apps like Whatsapp. But the problem is I can only use the BBM when im connected to a wi fi and whenever i disconnect it stops sending msgs. My data is turned on and i can surf the web or use other apps like whatsapp but BBM doesn't send msgs on data. my friends can send msgs with their ios and android phones with data but i simply can't. is there any solution for that?
    Welcome to the forum and I am sorry to hear that you have trouble.

BBM on BB 10 works "out of the box" with any data plan and it's really for dummies.
    Means , one must very actively do something to allow BBM only for Wi-Fi networks and I actually don't know what.
    But a factory reset with BB Link should definitely solve the problem.... just go back to the default situation.

And then:
    Before you re-install your 3rd party apps (from BB World, Android sideloads), try BBM first.
    And then carefully re-install apps. Don't grant access permission to bbm for any app.
    Maybe it's an app (it really shouldn't be, but it could be...)

And only for my curiosity:
    Under System Settings > Security and Privacy > Parental Control ... is it "on" with any restrictions?
    That's the only parameter I have never checked.
    06-28-14 04:19 AM
    OP, little more information, please. Carrier, location? In our country, there is only one carrier that bbm won't work over carrier data.

This is because that carrier has never offered BlackBerry services in the past, hence never had BlackBerry APN routing, hence no BBM.
    Hello zocster, does this apply for BB10 (the OP has a Q10)?
    I believe since BBM went cross-platform it should work with all carriers and all data plans..."out of the box".

Only old legacy devices up to OS 7 need a "BlackBerry Option" (which is simply not available for OS 10).
    06-28-14 04:34 AM
    Hello OP,

I had a short glance at BBM Help & Support - US and finally found KB35414-BBM for Android and iPhone is unable to send or receive messages over a cellular network

In short: You should definitely also contact your carrier.

Maybe you know a person who is using the same carrier and ask the person to test bbm.
    If the problem is reproducable, it is certainly the carrier.
    Last edited by Superdupont 2_0; 06-29-14 at 06:00 AM.
    06-29-14 05:23 AM