I'm hoping someone may have experienced this before - I created a gmail account and want to link it to my phone but am getting the message "this account can't be added due to an IT policy. Contact your administrator."

Does anyone know what this means? Is the administrator my phone company? (Telus, if that makes a difference). I've googled and I can't find any solutions.

Thanks for any solutions anyone can offer.

Edit: have since spent a significant amount of time on the phone. Telus says it's not within their scope and the most likely culprit is google. Great. They give me a phone number. Someone foreign answers, demands 150$ to fix it and when I refuse, hangs up on me. Seems legit. Blackberry wants 35$ to do any problem solving for me, so it looks like I'm going to walk into Telus tomorrow and hope someone can fix this ridiculous problem.

I've been trying to fix this all day, and a lot of google solutions say to "choose Gmail" as an email option. I don't have that. Nor do I have the IMAP or POP option, as I was going to try that. I even made sure my BB software was up to date (it was).

Update: finally got some answers from Telus. The tech hadn't seen anything like it in 5 years and theoretically it's not possible in the newer Blackberry's. So yay for having a unicorn phone. It has something to do with the Enterprise system, which my phone shouldn't be hooked up to. Anyway, I have to security wipe my phone and if that doesn't work Telus has to open a ticket with BlackBerry. He said if it's an error they made before sending the phone out usually they'd just replace the phone but I've had mine for almost 3 years so....doubtful. BlackBerry might be able to fix it, they might not. I guess not having email attached to my phone isn't the end of the world, so.... could be worse.

So. Just in case there's another fellow unicorn out there googling to no avail, here's your answer. That isn't really an answer, but kind of.
    Last edited by sjd07; 07-15-16 at 06:04 PM.
    07-13-16 04:33 PM
    No the IT administrator means you have a BES? This phone has been administered under a control authority like a BES administrator. To get rid of this, if it's indeed your own personal phone, you will need to wipe it.

And whoever told you the culprit is Google is so very very wrong. Don't listen to THEM again.
    07-13-16 06:42 PM
    No the IT administrator means you have a BES? This phone has been administered under a control authority like a BES administrator. To get rid of this, if it's indeed your own personal phone, you will need to wipe it.

And whoever told you the culprit is Google is so very very wrong. Don't listen to THEM again.

Well. ****. Is this common? I'm going to go into a Telus location tomorrow - I'll bring this up. Thank you!
    07-13-16 07:40 PM
    Well. ****. Is this common? I'm going to go into a Telus location tomorrow - I'll bring this up. Thank you!
    Is this a work phone?
    07-13-16 07:49 PM
    It's not a work phone and no one has owned it before me.
    07-13-16 08:07 PM