Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mamaluka
  1. Mamaluka's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,583 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,626 Global Posts
    PIN
    CH A LOAF
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Where's the competition?

    I'll start by saying this; Portrait qwerty people (consumers) differ from slider ones. If you agree with me so far, you should agree with me from this point on.
    Why hasn't any manufacturer like Motorola, HTC, Nokia, Samsung etc produced a large sized portrait qwerty?
    I've tried the Droid Pro, the Admiral (which I'm shocked not too many bb users here seem to have even heard of), and the Droid Pro 2.
    There may be more, but those are the only ones I've tried. The Pro stunk and the Admiral was 'ok'.
    These companys are always in court with copyright infringement lawsuits. Why not invest the money and just go for it? Build a real portrait qwerty that can compete with blackberry.
    Makes me wonder if portrait qwerty people like myself are dinosaurs and these corporations just consider us as a non-factor. If so, I think that's a grave error on their part. Seems like everyone I see from this board or in real life who leaves bb for a full touch come back and give the same old bull$hit story: "oh, I've grown acustomed to it." Or "I adjusted over time."
    I own full touch devices but my main phone is the 9930. I would never use an all touch for business. Only play. Even some play, I require typing fast and all touch just can't cut it. Look at Kevins blogs lately and you will notice major spelling errors. I can tell he's using that Z10. And here's a guy who is way used to all touch devices. So proof positive is in the cb pudding so to speak.
    In conclusion. I thought smartphone manufacturing was very competitive, based on frequency of new releases, copycat devices and so on. I believe these companies are dropping the ball. I hope BBRY comes out on top with these new phones. If they don't, it won't be because of oversaturation of competition.
    musical1806 and keel999 like this.
  2. Chris Marsch's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    267 Posts
    #2  

    Default

    well spoken - I agree to your conclusion - maybe there is no ( big) market any longer???
  3. zc1
    zc1 is offline
    zc1's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    160 Posts
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    The fact of the matter is that you can be just as fast and accurate on a touch device as on a physical keyboard. It just takes some time. I'm willing to bet a couple of things:

    1) You weren't a fast typist on your physical keyboard right from day 1.
    2) You spent years using physical keyboards

    Given those two things, you can't expect to be just as good at typing on a virtual keyboard as on a physical one without living through the learning curve and putting in the hours. In response to your suggestion that there has been an increase in grammatical and spelling errors on the CB blog and that this is likely a result of the inaccuracy and inefficiency associated with virtual keyboards, I would argue that BB Kevin (if he is, indeed, blogging from a Z10) is probably still making the adjustment, just as are many long-time BB users. Switching from a physical keyboard takes time. For that matter, even switching from one virtual keyboard to another (on the same device or on entirely different devices) requires adjustment/re-calibration.

    BB spent a lot of time on the new keyboard to try and optimize it for speed, efficiency and accuracy. The problem is that maximum efficiency is a a moving target. We're adjusting the way we do things in the move from the physical to the touch interface, but the keyboard is also 'intelligent' and is actively learning the way we do things (even though we aren't yet settled on the way we do things) to try and make our experience more efficient. I suspect that, in the case of the Z10, that represents a significant contributor to the problem -- In essense, you have two entities walking around in the forest trying to find each other rather than one staying put and the other doing the adjusting.

    The touch interface will evolve, as will our comfort with it. Like it or not, that's the way things are headed.
    Last edited by zc1; 02-24-2013 at 07:22 PM.
  4. CzechShark's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    426 Posts
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    I'd say you likely havent spent much time typing on the z10. It is by far more superior in typing then any other device on the market right now. I have always owned a berry with a physical keyboard and was ready to give up on BB if they became all touch screen. However i gave the z10 a try, and yes it takes getting use to, the errors are there at least for me, but most of the time it does correct itself and no need to go back.
    Will I go back to a physical keyboard when the Q10 launches,.. liekly not, i have gotten use to typing and spoiled with a large screen. To go back to a smaller screen for a physical keyboard doesnt sound that appealing to me anymore.
    I think people are using their phones more and more for surfing the web, and media as well as typing. Sacrificing the keyboard for a better screen seems to be the trend,.. so yes i believe physical keyboards are a dying dinosaur.
  5. steven55's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    125 Posts
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default Re: Where's the competition?

    I agree with czechshark. I had been on blackberrys with keyboards for years...but in the last 3 weeks with Z10 I am now just as fast and will not need the Q10.

    Because of the way ghe z10 puts words on the lettersi end up flicking so many words up that I don't actually type that many letters. Also, it is easier to type with one thumb when bolding with one hand. no way will I give up that big screen.
  6. 1oo1's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    330 Posts
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steven55 View Post
    I agree with czechshark. I had been on blackberrys with keyboards for years...but in the last 3 weeks with Z10 I am now just as fast and will not need the Q10.

    Because of the way ghe z10 puts words on the lettersi end up flicking so many words up that I don't actually type that many letters. Also, it is easier to type with one thumb when bolding with one hand. no way will I give up that big screen.
    Were you using the z10 to type this buy any chance?

    OP is right saying there are barely any portrait qwerty anymore(excluding BBs). Like others have said, I think the other companies think the market isn't big enough for these type of devices.
    Z10 Stl3 10.3.0.1418 => 10.3.1.821 => 10.3.1.800
  7. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    13,779 Posts
    PIN
    27F48177
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zc1 View Post
    The fact of the matter is that you can be just as fast and accurate on a touch device as on a physical keyboard. It just takes some time. I'm willing to bet a couple of things:

    1) You weren't a fast typist on your physical keyboard right from day 1.
    2) You spent years using physical keyboards

    Given those two things, you can't expect to be just as good at typing on a virtual keyboard as on a physical one without living through the learning curve and putting in the hours. In response to your suggestion that there has been an increase in grammatical and spelling errors on the CB blog and that this is likely a result of the inaccuracy and inefficiency associated with virtual keyboards, I would argue that BB Kevin (if he is, indeed, blogging from a Z10) is probably still making the adjustment, just as are many long-time BB users. Switching from a physical keyboard takes time. For that matter, even switching from one virtual keyboard to another (on the same device or on entirely different devices) requires adjustment/re-calibration.

    BB spent a lot of time on the new keyboard to try and optimize it for speed, efficiency and accuracy. The problem is that maximum efficiency is a a moving target. We're adjusting the way we do things in the move from the physical to the touch interface, but the keyboard is also 'intelligent' and is actively learning the way we do things (even though we aren't yet settled on the way we do things) to try and make our experience more efficient. I suspect that, in the case of the Z10, that represents a significant contributor to the problem -- In essense, you have two entities walking around in the forest trying to find each other rather than one staying put and the other doing the adjusting.

    The touch interface will evolve, as will our comfort with it. Like it or not, that's the way things are headed.
    Ever think how much tech has gone into virtual keyboards just to make it on par with physical keyboards? And they're still not as good. I simply enjoy typing on a BlackBerry keyboard, touch typing is a chore.

    Posted via CB10
  8. steven55's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    125 Posts
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1oo1 View Post
    Were you using the z10 to type this buy any chance?

    OP is right saying there are barely any portrait qwerty anymore(excluding BBs). Like others have said, I think the other companies think the market isn't big enough for these type of devices.
    It was on my PlayBook late at night. Between flicking and auto correct I don't make many mistakes on the Z10.....and my fingers don't hurt on the Z10 because I don't have to hit every single key.
    Thanked by:
    1oo1 (02-25-2013) 
  9. keel999's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    68 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Good topic.
    The market of qwerty device is getting smaller and smaller,so most of the companies are no longer interested in this territory.
    There are too many reasons why the market gets smaller.Personally,I think the most important is that everyone has different requirement on the text input.For those users who has a higher requirement(speed,accuracy,experience,etc.) on the text input,or who just has a hobby of using qwerty keyboard,they will stay with the qwerty devices,because the virtual keyboard doesn't meet their demands.And for the rest of the users who has no such high requirement on the text input,they will go for the full touch devices,because full touch device has larger screen,with an acceptable virtual keyboard.After all, those who are staying with the qwerty is only a small part of the users,so the market is limited.
  10. zc1
    zc1 is offline
    zc1's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    160 Posts
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    Ever think how much tech has gone into virtual keyboards just to make it on par with physical keyboards? And they're still not as good. I simply enjoy typing on a BlackBerry keyboard, touch typing is a chore. Posted via CB10
    Yes, I have. In fact, I alluded to it in the description of the BB10 keyboard which you already quoted and, presumably, actually read:

    BB spent a lot of time on the new keyboard to try and optimize it for speed, efficiency and accuracy...the keyboard is also 'intelligent' and is actively learning the way we do things

    That said, your opinion is your opinion, and you're certainly entitled to it. Some (myself included) would disagree about a couple of things:

    1. ...they're still not as good -- your opinion. I'm faster on touch keyboards than on QWERTY ones.
    2. the bit about liking typing on a bb keyboard -- I know you meant a physical keyboard, but the Z10 is still a BB keyboard

    In fact, right now there's a thread on the front page of the Z10 forum from a new convert from QWERTY to touch, with many others chiming in in agreement with his praise of the virtual keyboard. Touch isn't for everyone, and some can't get over the learning curve, but it's still the way things are going.
    Last edited by zc1; 02-25-2013 at 11:11 AM.
  11. Tre Lawrence's Avatar
    Between Realities

    Posts
    11,982 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,817 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Others have tried, but I don't think any other company besides BB currently can justify the development costs. People are happy on touchscreens. I used to make fun of touchscreens, but can now type faster one-handed on one than i could on my BBs.

    Fastest typists in the world are on touchscreens.

    Having said that, physical keyboards are not going anywhere too soon, and options are good. Nothing sucks more than forcing people to use inputs they are not comfortable with.

Similar Threads

  1. Who needs X, where X = some feature of the competition?
    By notafanboy in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-02-2012, 02:01 PM
  2. Where is the best place to buy 8300 curve
    By dm7864 in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xx
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-13-2010, 03:13 PM
  3. where are the Girlz?
    By coldchill in forum Rehab & Off-Topic Lounge
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-13-2008, 09:28 PM
  4. 7100i; where's the folder?
    By turnupthevolume in forum Older BlackBerrys
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-22-2007, 07:26 PM
  5. Where does the 8830 store the mail?
    By beth98 in forum Introductions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-02-2007, 02:42 PM

Posting Permissions