Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By o4liberty
  • 1 Post By Berinry
  • 3 Post By Toodeurep
  • 1 Post By ffejrobins30
  • 1 Post By EGerhardt
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default What I EXPECT on the new N-Series at launch

I am so happy to have this thread dedicated to the N-Series. I don't care for the L-Series but do see it's a good move for BlackBerry to satisfy consumers. Since we don't get any news or many leaks of the N-Series, I wanted to start a post of what "we" expect in our new full keyboard BlackBerry. I loved my Bold 9900 before switching to the iPhone 5, and must say living without a keyboard is very difficult. I feel less productive, but my gripe over the 9900 is the horrible camera when even compared to even the iPhone 4S. Lack of autofocus is terrible, and if I want autofocus I have to give up HD recording. So what I expect out of the new N-Series is an 8mp camera w/ 1080p recording and a 2mp front facing camera with 720p recording. I would also like to see the same type of processors that they are using in the L-Series. I am also hoping they keep the hot buttons, I use those more than the trackpad. So loss of trackpad is no problem for me, but I need those hot buttons.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,302 Global Posts

For me the track pad is a great loss. I like the ease of navigation the pad gives me.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Make sure you vote! Your vote counts!
    Support the 9-12 Project
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by ESN View Post
    For me the track pad is a great loss. I like the ease of navigation the pad gives me.

I feel the same way you do about the track pad. What the majority wants seems to rule now. That's why the keyboards are on their way out. I prefer the keyboard but money follows the majority....

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

its sure that we will miss the trackpad, but looking at the operating system and everything. it looks like we wont be needing a trackpad if there was one.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    6,238 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Default Re: What I EXPECT on the new N-Series at launch

Quote Originally Posted by ragdeiii View Post
    I feel the same way you do about the track pad. What the majority wants seems to rule now. That's why the keyboards are on their way out. I prefer the keyboard but money follows the majority....

It's called "the consumer market".
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    It's called "the consumer market".
    harshh. ..
    yes the technical term is "consumer market",
    but there are many ways for people to express what they want to say

if what they are trying to say is understandable there is no need for a snippy comment like yours.
    ~εrin
    jon4400 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    652 Global Posts

Although I will more than likely be going for the L series when it is launched, I think the N series will be a great device. I love my 9900, and with a bigger screen, better specs, same keyboard, better camera (soft spot of the 990 IMO) and a powerful OS it would make a high quality device, which just happens to be the new N series haha I like the choice, between full touch and qwerty, because there are people that just want BlackBerry, but not all like the keyboard vs full touch, and vice versa.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,219 Global Posts
    PIN
    Wooden Shoe Like to Know;)

Quote Originally Posted by ragdeiii View Post

If people only knew what a good physical keyboard could do...smh. I work all day with people that take their hand off the keyboard go up to "window" and choose to change to a different file. I tell them all the time to just use ctrl+tab. Most people I see are suprised to know you can actually operate a pc with out the mouse and often times do it more efficiently. A guy in my office didn't even know the "windows" key would launch the start menu.

It is funny to watch the consumer drive the market to the virtual keyboard only to go out and buy a bluetooth keyboard. My point is simple the BB keyboard isn't just a typing tool, it operates the device as well. Something a virtual keyboard cannot fully reproduce.
    Last edited by Toodeurep; 12-10-2012 at 06:51 PM.
    Nothing is so common as is the goal to be remarkable
    Thanked by 2:
    Jaredius (12-13-2012),  revtech (12-13-2012) 
    CrackBerry Addict

The only thing that should be expected in the N-Series is a physical keyboard and a 720x720 screen. Nothing else has been hinted or leaked really, so EXPECTING something is a little over ambitious in my opinion. Oh yeah, it'll also have a battery...
    BB Bold 9700 on T-Mobile bridged to 64GB Playbook (The pair handles 98% of my computing needs!)
    Author of BB Boss (dev.bbboss@gmail.com)
    Download the most recent release here:
    All Windows Platforms Version 2.2:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/8hj9f0....2%20Setup.exe
    SK122387 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    20EB1810

The Consumer Market makes me deeply depressed about the future of technology . Of course I understand that markets are driven by profits and companies make decisions purely based on that. But at the same time it makes me want to bang my head against the wall. It's incredibly frustrating to find that you can't get the device you want because that design isn't consumer friendly enough anymore. A while back I was tempted to switch to android full time, and didn't because there simply was not a portrait QWERTY or slider on the market. None.

It feels like there simply isn't a lot of choice, because everyone is driving harder and harder towards the safe middle ground of device manufacture. It makes me really unhappy that the device that I buy in two or three years time will totally be at the whims of what is popular among people who don't really know how to use smartphones and don't know what 'good' is in a mobile device. That scares me a little.

At least RIM is staying faithful to their hardcore fans and giving us the option for a keyboard.
    Thanked by:
    Toodeurep (12-11-2012) 
    Toodeurep likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I am getting an L-series but am wondering for all the N-Series folk what do you guys think of a crackberry fan's idea for having a sleeve that turns and l-series into a n-series? Could be good if you want the keyboard and then when you want to play a game you can slide sleeve off.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    20EB1810

Quote Originally Posted by mrmartis View Post
    I am getting an L-series but am wondering for all the N-Series folk what do you guys think of a crackberry fan's idea for having a sleeve that turns and l-series into a n-series? Could be good if you want the keyboard and then when you want to play a game you can slide sleeve off.
    Not a bad idea, at least not in theory... Personally, I would design it not as a 'sleeve' but more as a solid plastic snap on keyboard. It'd probably have to be bluetooth-driven which has its own set of problems but if people want the extra choice for there L-Series, more power to them. Maybe you full touch screen guys have some taste after

That said it wouldn't tempt me towards an L-series any more so than I already am. I care a lot more about a keyboard than about a big screen; i don't do games, I have a tablet for mobile video... The big screen is nice and all, but I use the keyboard a bajillion times a day, I almost never get any real 'use' from the big screen (doing things in which having a larger screen make a difference). I would certainly be in the market for a Slider though. Love me some slider.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    291DB9CE

I think what I'll miss the most is the four buttons surrounding the trackpad, rather than the trackpad itself.

I like to be able to:

• Press the call answer button at anytime to make a phone call;
    • Use the call end button to return to the home screen at any time;
    • Use the return key if I go a screen too far (it also clears the search field instantly);
    • Use the BlackBerry button for the full menu, as well as switch apps quickly.

However, I can see gestures taking care of most of this. Just as long as I can still make use of Alt+Shift+Del if anything goes wrong!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

I hope this isn't too off-topic to throw in here, but I'm looking to upgrade from my 9650 and am *really* tempted by the opportunities to pick up a 9930 for virtually nothing instead of paying what will likely be 199 or so for the N series. Budget is a consideration here, but what I'm asking is what do those of you who have a 9930 think of this, is it ridiculous to use my upgrade on a 9930 with the N right around the corner? For just the talk/text/email/etc would I be kicking myself? Hard to say I guess since we don't know exactly what N will be, but anybody want to weigh in? Thanks =)
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    20EB1810

Quote Originally Posted by revtech View Post
    I hope this isn't too off-topic to throw in here, but I'm looking to upgrade from my 9650 and am *really* tempted by the opportunities to pick up a 9930 for virtually nothing instead of paying what will likely be 199 or so for the N series. Budget is a consideration here, but what I'm asking is what do those of you who have a 9930 think of this, is it ridiculous to use my upgrade on a 9930 with the N right around the corner? For just the talk/text/email/etc would I be kicking myself? Hard to say I guess since we don't know exactly what N will be, but anybody want to weigh in? Thanks =)
    That's an interesting question.

I would certainly advise against deciding until we have the full details of the BB10 line up. You may well discover that there is a budget BB10 device (like a BB10 curve) that meets your requirements both in terms of budget and useability. If nothing else, the price of 99xx series devices should plummet on the release of the BB10 phones. I'd say it is a waste of an upgrade to get a device that will be out of date within a few months, but I guess thats more on principal.

The 9900s are good devices for sure. And if you are only into communicating on your BB, then it will certainly serve you well. I know plenty of people who have fairly/very old BBs either through their company or got them cheap and have no complaints at all. You'll still be able to browse the web and IM and skype (edit: no wait, not skype F*** YOU MICROSOFT) and such, so if you aren't the kind of guy who is into fiddling with apps outside of the core BB experience then you won't directly be missing much as such. You won't have BB10, which is a downside of course. BB10 is an all round more awesome OS. But if you are already comfortable with BB7, then its only other people with BB10 phones that will notice what you are missing out on; as far as you are concerned it'll be business as normal.

Under most circumstances I would not advise anyone to miss out on BB10. Partially that's because I'm justifying it to myself on it just being so amazing. Partly its because I want it to succeed, and I'd tell people it rocks even if I couldn't upgrade immediately. But I can respect anyone who has to make a decision made on cost. It's really tough to know you can't afford the best new toys, I've been there the past year and a bit. If you can't afford to go up to BB10 around launch, but need the absolute best BB experience under that then a 9900 will work well. Just do check there isn't a BB10 curve-type device that will give you bb10 AND not cost lots.
    Thanked by:
    revtech (12-13-2012)