I was looking at Amazon, and you can apparently buy a new Q10 for $250.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B00C1...UvbUpU10555314

But I heard that since BlackBerry warranty has to go through your carrier, BlackBerry phones bought independent of the carrier might not be covered in the warranty.

Is this true?

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    07-05-14 02:03 PM
    You have the standard BlackBerry warranty which honestly, is harder to obtain work for. No ifs, ands or buts about it. Shouldn't be that way but it is and you'll likely end up in a circle of customer service hell with your carrier telling you to call BlackBerry and BlackBerry telling you to call your carrier.
    bbnrs likes this.
    07-05-14 02:23 PM
    You have the standard BlackBerry warranty which honestly, is harder to obtain work for. No ifs, ands or buts about it. Shouldn't be that way but it is and you'll likely end up in a circle of customer service hell with your carrier telling you to call BlackBerry and BlackBerry telling you to call your carrier.
    Isn't this a similar situation to when you buy from BlackBerry direct?

Download Noted, my 5-star rated, native BB10 notepad app.
    07-05-14 02:27 PM
    Isn't this a similar situation to when you buy from BlackBerry direct?

Download Noted, my 5-star rated, native BB10 notepad app.
    Not AFAIK because they have a record of sale direct from them but I have no personal experience to speak of there, I've never purchased one direct from BB. BlackBerry technically doesn't know where the ones on Amazon are coming from, at least not at the customer service level. For all they know, they could be helping you with a stolen BB.
    Carterbits and bbnrs like this.
    07-05-14 03:28 PM
    OP, are you referring to simply the devices for sale by any seller on amazon or the devices sold by amazon that are also activated through them as well?

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    07-05-14 05:39 PM
    OP, are you referring to simply the devices for sale by any seller on amazon or the devices sold by amazon that are also activated through them as well?

I'm not quite sure what the difference is? No devices need "preactivation" from anyone. It just has to be an unlocked phone, and I can stick a sim card in there and it's good to go.

I am asking about "new" BlackBerry phones that should still be in the package.

07-05-14 06:41 PM
    I'm not quite sure what the difference is? No devices need "preactivation" from anyone. It just has to be an unlocked phone, and I can stick a sim card in there and it's good to go.

I bought my Bold this way, from Amazon... Unlocked, absolutely new and sealed, no issues, no problems..
    Problem is when someone tryed the device, wiped it and sent it back in the garanteed time and Amazon only repacked it again...
    So make sure you recieve an absolutely untouched sealed phone!!!
    Then you can "risk it" and take it for 250, I spent 650 and did not regret it!!

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    07-05-14 06:53 PM
    I bought my Bold this way, from Amazon... Unlocked, absolutely new and sealed, no issues, no problems..
    Problem is when someone tryed the device, wiped it and sent it back in the garanteed time and Amazon only repacked it again...
    So make sure you recieve an absolutely untouched sealed phone!!!
    Then you can "risk it" and take it for 250, I spent 650 and did not regret it!!

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    My bro brought me my sqn100-3 while he was in the states. Unsealed unlocked and perfect. I got it from amazon from mangowireless. It's been more than half a year and no issuea. I use it in hungary on the network of tmobile and I had absolutely no problems. Lte works just fine
    07-05-14 08:57 PM
    I have bought my Q10 on Amazon, only one locked not described unlocked.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 10:07 PM

Okay. Well I'm not sure it applies to unlock phones since you're not activating service through Amazon, but the devices you can purchase brand new unopened and activate service for, all for a penny on Amazon are covered by the same warranty offered by the service provider you activate with.

07-06-14 12:27 PM
    Okay, it is way too confusing.

I will just contact my carrier on this.

Also, how would my carrier know that the phone I got from Amazon was in fact sealed and factory new?

Has any Canadians here ever contacted CCTS (CCTS � CPRST | Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services) or BBB (Better Business Bureau: Start With Trust®) for Blackberry warranty, if it really is that terrible?

I personally had to contact those two when a Rogers store refused my 14 day exchange a while ago, and got $100 reimbursed which I made a thread about here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...con-me-915234/
    07-07-14 11:23 PM
    I bought my Q10 from ebay and Verizon just switched my insurance from my Z10 to my Q10. Check with your carrier and see if they will do that.

Live it, love it, be it.....BB10
    07-08-14 09:36 AM
    Okay, it is way too confusing.

I will just contact my carrier on this.

Also, how would my carrier know that the phone I got from Amazon was in fact sealed and factory new?
    It doesn't look like Amazon Canada sells the carrier phones/contracts.

As mentioned many times, in North America, with the exception of buying direct from BlackBerry, the warranty is covered by the carrier that originally sold the phone. Using Rogers as an example, if you do not buy a Rogers phone, Rogers has no idea when it went into service and cannot do warranty work on it. The same can be said of the other carriers. Even if you buy a phone not branded to your carrier, you cannot get it repaired at the carrier that originally sold it unless you happen to also have an account/line with that carrier. My experience with Rogers is that if you buy a used Rogers phone and it is less than a year old, they will do warranty work for it, as their system shows the origin sale date for it. Other carriers may be different.

The important thing with used or new in Box phones sold through alternative channels, such as eBay or Amazon is that they were originally distributed by your carrier, not a phone imported from another country. If your carrier sold it to the Amazon or eBay seller, they will have a record of it for warranty purposes. This is also important on some carriers where it needs to be an Imei that matches a phone they sold in order for some special features to work. Otherwise it is very difficult to find the right person in support to put your IMEI in their system.

To summarize this, in Canada and USA, if you get a phone not distributed by your carrier or their dealer network, you will not get warranty work done on it.
    Last edited by robsteve; 07-08-14 at 11:24 AM.
    riss89 likes this.
    07-08-14 11:12 AM
    It's still covered by warranty, but the channel in which you make the claim can be complicated. As stated, typically it's the carrier; but the carrier isn't going to facilitate a warranty claim for a phone that they didn't sell. I'd assume that Amazon would be able to process the warranty transaction for you.
    07-08-14 02:13 PM
    Has anyone ever bought from shopblackberry.com and had to submit the warranty?

With the recent $100 discount, shopblackberry.com is actually a pretty nice option.

07-10-14 06:25 PM
    The retailer must offer the warranty.

Any problems just go to Amazon. They have to guarantee the goods they're selling.

Posted via Z10, UK based (Good luck Bla1ze as EiC!)
    Denny_Crane likes this.
    07-10-14 06:53 PM