I have been a super loyal BB user and supporter for over 12 years. I , like many others was under HUGE pressure to join the masses and get an iphone, but I resisted, much preferring my real touch keyboard. Finally got a Q10, and what a total pain in the ****!!!!!!!!!! The keyboard is awesome- no doubt, but there are so many other issues- answering the phone is proving almost impossible!
    Nothing is intuitive- there is NO technical support here in Australia, the carrier refers you to the BB website- REALLY helpful!
    I have slowly been able to find some help via Mr Google, but it really shouldn't have been this hard- I really do now fear for BB's corporate future, I cant imagine I am completely alone in my troubles and frustrations. Another huge disappointment is there are so many of the BB apps I am used to that are NOT available for 10 series- dam- this sucks!
    LudwigvonKast likes this.
    07-23-13 12:55 AM
    Well the first thing you've done right is picked up the Q10, the next thing you did right was join Crackberry,
    Now the only thing left to do right is ask for help,
    Welcome to the forums, there are some really smart people here to help you.
    Let us know what problems you are having, you'll find the solutions are easy.
    SoloShaBerry, itsyaboy and eianm like this.
    07-23-13 01:27 AM
    What seems to be the problem with your Q10, I see only one thing that you have posted about "answering calls" all you do is when you have an incoming call is hold the white bar I believe it says swipe to answer and just take it and swipe downwards, rejecting call is the same only you swipe upwards

Posted via CB10
    SoloShaBerry likes this.
    07-23-13 01:35 AM
    First thing I would suggest is to go to your home screen and type 'help'.

Select the one icon that shows up and you'll find a ton of information built into your beautiful new device.

Choose 'tutorials' and watch them all.

If you still have questions, ask specific ones here and I'm sure you'll get answers

Posted via CB10
    southlander and SoloShaBerry like this.
    07-23-13 01:40 AM
    there is NO technical support here in Australia, the carrier refers you to the BB website- REALLY helpful!
    Who needs the carrier or even BlackBerry when you have crackberry. You're in the right place.

Welcome.

On the call answering thing it is just a matter of getting used to it. One thing that helps is not to stab or mis touch in the first Place. When you get a call touch straight to the answer bar. Pause. Then slide down.
    It's a matter of having a consistent and direct motion.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    07-23-13 01:42 AM
    Gone back to the 9981. Same as the poster- been extremely loyal with bb and very happy too- so far! What a pain this device is- would it have killed them to leave the keyboard shortcuts in??? If i was not using the keyboard I would be on android or ios already! Its a shame.
    LudwigvonKast likes this.
    07-23-13 03:40 AM
    I'm at a loss here. I don't understand why so many people have difficulty using this Q10. I've had no problems with the use at all.

It may be because I was looking forward to the new phone that, I watched hours upon hours of unboxing, sideloading, tips and tricks and other videos about the Q10 before I made my educated purchase.
    Danny Ocean likes this.
    07-23-13 04:04 AM
    I do find it odd that so many people have problems answering calls. I think people are just randomly swiping at the screen, which is a bit like randomly pressing buttons on an older phone and expecting to answer a call that way. I think people just need to get used to the touch screen concept.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 04:17 AM
    I come from a long time on Android to BlackBerry and I feel that BlackBerry os 10 gives me what I wanted on Android, but never had (the phone app was laggy, slow and outdated look of the browser etc - on samsungGalaxy s3). However, bbos10 is much different than my old BlackBerry Curve 8520, it does not look like the os5-7 phones, but for me this is an advantage because I really wanted a stable but also modern os (i'm n love with the swipe gestures and everything my q10 offers; I found sideloading very easy and all my missing apps are here).

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q10
    07-23-13 04:25 AM
    Who needs the carrier or even BlackBerry when you have crackberry. You're in the right place.

Welcome.

On the call answering thing it is just a matter of getting used to it. One thing that helps is not to stab or mis touch in the first Place. When you get a call touch straight to the answer bar. Pause. Then slide down.
    It's a matter of having a consistent and direct motion.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    I don't get many actual phone calls, and I admit that I feel that there is a small disconnect in the system.

When I get an audio alert I swipe up to turn on the screen; when I get a phone call I swipe down to accept it.

Up means to minimise an application and reject a phone call, but it also means turn on the screen. It's too late now, but I feel for consistency up should always mean turn off or close, and down should always mean turn on or accept. Alternatively, the phone ringer screen should display clearly labelled green and red buttons which can be swiped either way (so that an accidental press does not register).
    eianm likes this.
    07-23-13 04:33 AM
    WOW- overwhelmed by the offers of help and support- THANK YOU ALL!! I have so many issues , I don't know where to start;
    1) I have entered my fast dials , but cant seem to use them- I push on the key and it certainly doesn't make a call?
    2) how do I turn off the message alarm ( txt or voice)
    3) how can I have all email accounts come to a single folder or location- it is a huge nuisance having to go to gmail, then exchange.
    4) I cant find out how to get an indication or total of number of unread emails on my home screen- it seems you have to go to the dammed hub- what a pain!
    5) I cant work out how to send an itinerary to BB travel - it used to be an option in email send?
    6) there are so many of my favourite apps not available in BB10- and most providers I have emailed say they may not come , or if they do they cant say when!!
    7) in summary- everything seems so much harder to do than on my 9800- either that or I am more of a clutz than I realised!

Thanks again to all who offered support- REALLY very much appreciated!
    Eianm
    07-24-13 02:51 AM
    WOW- have you hit the nail on the head! The phone is SO HARD to use and no red and green buttons make it REALLY awkward
    07-24-13 02:53 AM
    see my post below in the string and thanks very much for the offer of help!!!
    07-24-13 02:53 AM
    Gone back to the 9981. Same as the poster- been extremely loyal with bb and very happy too- so far! What a pain this device is- would it have killed them to leave the keyboard shortcuts in??? If i was not using the keyboard I would be on android or ios already! Its a shame.
    Thank you -I totally understand and agree- I am seriously considering going back to my 9800, but I hate giving up!!!!! So I plan to keep trying for a few more days!
    07-24-13 02:56 AM
    Google is hard - true story

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 06:27 AM
    The switch from old school BlackBerry to the Q10 is a significant change. Lots of old dogs have some new tricks to learn.

You will likely need to give it a week to get your head around the interace and OS.

An earlier poster suggested the tutorials... I wholeheartedly urge the same. As well, there is a TON of great info on this site. Browse the forums. Many users have come before you with challenges and the solutions are out there.

Hard to give up the old "what you know", for sure. Certainly, there is a lot of improvement to be made but imho BlackBerry is off to a great new beginning.

:-)

Posted via CB10 from my Q10 (SQN100-3)
    07-24-13 06:35 AM
    Eian - don't give up. I too came from 9810 and was so excited for the Q10. Got it and wanted to cry. But like you, I posted here and so many people jumped in to help.

Most importantly they encouraged me to not give up and keep asking for help. I did,t give up, kept asking for help and now I'm loving my Q10.

Yes there are still a lot of things I can't do w/ Q that I could w/ 9810 but 90% of those things are coming w/ the new OS update. So if you want to hang out w/ me in the "be patient & trust us" lounge, come on in and grap a comfortable seat.

Help is here in CB & call your carrier & have them switch you the BlackBerry tech support. It's free and they can help you + listen to what you have to say. It's calls like those that encourage developers to figure a way to give customers "best of both worlds". I.E. Convenience of OS 7 w/ all the spiffy of OS10.

Slag & Rudy will jump in to help too. They are AWESOME here!!

And for those who post here about how they don't understand why you have problems, just scroll past them.

Also if you get a chance read a post I made about Q10 vs 9810 pros & cons. You will probably see many things listed that are in fact coming soon.

Regardless of whether BlackBerry released these phones "too soon" or not, I know good stuff is coming for those who wait. Until then, there's CB10.

Posted via Q10 via CB10 app
    07-24-13 06:51 AM
    WOW- overwhelmed by the offers of help and support- THANK YOU ALL!! I have so many issues , I don't know where to start;
    1) I have entered my fast dials , but cant seem to use them- I push on the key and it certainly doesn't make a call?
    3) how can I have all email accounts come to a single folder or location- it is a huge nuisance having to go to gmail, then exchange.
    4) I cant find out how to get an indication or total of number of unread emails on my home screen- it seems you have to go to the dammed hub- what a pain!
    5) I cant work out how to send an itinerary to BB travel - it used to be an option in email send?
    6) there are so many of my favourite apps not available in BB10- and most providers I have emailed say they may not come , or if they do they cant say when!!
    7) in summary- everything seems so much harder to do than on my 9800- either that or I am more of a clutz than I realised!

Eianm
    1. For speeddial, you have to open the phone and be in the third tab (the screen with the numbers) I believe
    2. Settings - Notifications - and then you have to turn off the alarm for each account
    3. Its not really in one folder, but if you swipe up and to the right, it'll take you to the Hub and at the top, if you select "BlackBerry Hub" then you'll see all your messages (Facebook, emails, bbm, txts, etc)
    4. I think this is called "peek". So swipe up half way up the screen from the bottom bezel, and you'll see the total unread messages. You can do this from anywhere (eg. Home screen, or inside an app). If your phone is locked, press any of the number keys and the screen will light up and you'd be able to see number of unread messages.
    5. Don't know as I haven't used Travel
    6. Try sideloading android apps
    7. I totally felt the same way when I first got my z10 - I returned it. Then waited for the q10. I wasn't in love with my q10 either when I first got it. It really took me a good week or so to get used to it. Coming from a torch, I was used to the call button, trackpad etc. While there are still minor things that annoy me occasionally about the phone, I can say that I'm quicker now on the q10 than I was on the torch. I love having multiple apps open and the ability to easily swipe between them. I've seen my friends' iphone and samsung galaxies, and BB10os is definitely faster at multitasking.
    I would suggest that you have faith in the phone, stick with it for a week so that you'll have time to learn all the tricks, nuances and get used to the new OS. Now I really like my phone and can't wait for 10.2. Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 07:36 AM

Eianm
    1) I realized that opening the phone app and then going to the dial pad and THEN holding your speed dial key was a bit of a pain and not very quick. I did realize that if you open the phone app and swipe down the call log you will see a hidden section where should have a quick dial for your voicemail and little boxes that say add number. Add your most called contacts here by tapping the boxes or go to the contacts page (the middle icon in the phone app) hold a contact to open a drop down menu of numbers, hold the number to get options on the right and select add to speed dial. Set this up and it is faster for quick dialing. This OS was made for touchscreens.

2) Settings>Notifications Settings take a long time to get just right for yourself and even still need more refinement when coming from a legacy device.

3) Best advice is go the hub and press the 3dots on the bottom right and choose settings and then choose hub management. I have just emails and text messages in my hub. So only those are displayed in the hub because that is what I use mainly. Any other notifications have to be selected from the hub selection menu that pops up on the left.

4) I'm going to elaborate on the previous poster. Swipe up from anywhere and hold to see pending notifications. Move a little to the right while holding and you peek into the hub. Let go of the hold to get into the hub or reverse the swipe (left and down without letting your finger leave the screen) to go back to what you were doing.

5) and 6) I wish I could help

7) I hope I helped.

Cheers and good luck!
    07-24-13 08:06 AM
    Well the first thing you've done right is picked up the Q10, the next thing you did right was join Crackberry,
    Now the only thing left to do right is...
    The only thing left to do now is return the Q10 and get that iPhone you have been looking at.

I can still do more on my two year old iPhone 4S in terms of business than I could ever imagine on the Q10.

Sad really. The market is wanting them to succeed and people are giving them the chance but they keep kicking salt in their customers eyes.
    07-24-13 08:12 AM
    I'm at a loss here. I don't understand why so many people have difficulty using this Q10. I've had no problems with the use at all.

It may be because I was looking forward to the new phone that, I watched hours upon hours of unboxing, sideloading, tips and tricks and other videos about the Q10 before I made my educated purchase.
    Oh thank God, I thought I was the only one. YouTube on the Apple TV has been a major problem for me (a problem in that I can't stop searching for "BlackBerry Q10"). I think I've seen nearly everything out there. When I find a new one I get excited. I spent nearly the entire weekend watching videos and reading CrackBerry's forums. I have a 9900 and absolutely love it but it's time to move forward and get through the growing pains. Things change and we have to adapt. To offset the cost of the Q10 I'm going to have to sell my 9900 (not eligible for an upgrade until June 2014!) and that will be a sad day indeed. I just replaced the housing and keyboard so she looks like new again and that's making it even harder.

On to the OP's concerns. Please continue asking questions on the CrackBerry forums and watch the numerous walk-throughs on YouTube. I don't own one yet so I don't know for sure that it will be as easy as I think it will be, but I can't imagine BlackBerry making it too hard to learn. Give it some time, l truly believe you will rewarded.
    07-24-13 08:46 AM
    The only thing left to do now is return the Q10 and get that iPhone you have been looking at.

I can still do more on my two year old iPhone 4S in terms of business than I could ever imagine on the Q10.

Sad really. The market is wanting them to succeed and people are giving them the chance but they keep kicking salt in their customers eyes.
    Dude. What's the problem? Many people use and enjoy the Q10. You can do more on iPhone because of apps am I right? Stop telling people to return their phones. So much negativity. You aren't even helpful. And I think I have the right to tell you that. Life is too short bud. Move on or bring something useful to the table.
    07-24-13 08:59 AM
    1) I realized that opening the phone app and then going to the dial pad and THEN holding your speed dial key was a bit of a pain and not very quick. I did realize that if you open the phone app and swipe down the call log you will see a hidden section where should have a quick dial for your voicemail and little boxes that say add number. Add your most called contacts here by tapping the boxes or go to the contacts page (the middle icon in the phone app) hold a contact to open a drop down menu of numbers, hold the number to get options on the right and select add to speed dial. Set this up and it is faster for quick dialing. This OS was made for touchscreens.
    thankyou very much- I have just tried your point 1 and when I pull down in call log, I found your short cut but it only allows 3 fast dials??

2) Settings>Notifications Settings take a long time to get just right for yourself and even still need more refinement when coming from a legacy device.

3) Best advice is go the hub and press the 3dots on the bottom right and choose settings and then choose hub management. I have just emails and text messages in my hub. So only those are displayed in the hub because that is what I use mainly. Any other notifications have to be selected from the hub selection menu that pops up on the left.

4) I'm going to elaborate on the previous poster. Swipe up from anywhere and hold to see pending notifications. Move a little to the right while holding and you peek into the hub. Let go of the hold to get into the hub or reverse the swipe (left and down without letting your finger leave the screen) to go back to what you were doing.

5) and 6) I wish I could help

7) I hope I helped.

Cheers and good luck!
    07-24-13 05:45 PM
    Perhaps you know a solution when and incoming calls go by a fast move make the screen go black but the call is still there to answer and have to push the button for unlock and then answer

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 01:19 PM
    I got my Q10 last Tuesday after mulling over whether to get it, or make the switch to Iphone.
    I really miss a lot of what my old 9810 had/did. Also the fact that the app store has so few apps, and ones that I really liked on the 9810 don't seem to be available for the q10!

BUT CAN SOMEONE HELP ME WITH SOMETHING I used to use a lot. How do I set up the "one key dialing" feature. I haven't been able to find anything out about it. And I've pressed and held the key that was on my old 9810, and it does nothing. The only key that works is the #1 key for voice mail.
    I'm TRYING to get used to this phone, but since it's so much like a Iphone, I'm trying to decide whether to return it within the 2 weeks period and just make the switch to a true IPHONE that has all the apps that I need.

OH....anyone know if Internet Explorer will ever be available for the Q10? Since I bought this and found that I cannot access my security cameras at the house using the browser, and Honeywell tells me they have no intention of making their app work on the Blackberry system, the only thing they told me is that it might work if I can get IE installed on the phone. This is going to be a major call as to whether I keep the phone or return it and go Iphone and just desert Blackberry.

Don't get me wrong....I LOVE the keyboard, but not so sure about all the swiping to do this. Getting to messages/text/email I find is very difficult. And my main screen keeps showing symbols like I've missed a call, and shows a number by the 'bell' but it's not showing that I've missed a call. I have had this 4 days now and I'm not getting very used to it. ANYONE help??
    07-27-13 01:27 PM
40 12