I'm wondering if this is normal but had my Q10 for a day so far and I find that it can get quite uncomfortably warm, particularly the lower back left side of the phone (near the battery). No its not always warm, but when Im using apps, it gets pretty warm there.

Im not sure if this is 'normal' for the Q10 or if I have a faulty unit or battery?

The battery life is also horrendous. I installed BeBuzz with the battery gauge there. I literally see the percentages tick down over very minor usage. Today, with mild usage, no more than I would my 9700, I've managed to use close to 50% of the battery life. Seems quite excessive?
    07-05-13 02:45 AM
    What temperature is the battery hitting? How many hours did it take for you to reach 50% battery life? Do you have the Ebay app installed? That app has a problem for most people and kills the battery.

I'm wondering if this is normal but had my Q10 for a day so far and I find that it can get quite uncomfortably warm, particularly the lower back left side of the phone (near the battery). No its not always warm, but when Im using apps, it gets pretty warm there.

Im not sure if this is 'normal' for the Q10 or if I have a faulty unit or battery?

The battery life is also horrendous. I installed BeBuzz with the battery gauge there. I literally see the percentages tick down over very minor usage. Today, with mild usage, no more than I would my 9700, I've managed to use close to 50% of the battery life. Seems quite excessive?
    07-05-13 04:48 AM
    Just BeBuzz which may or may not be a battery drain. Heard some reports its a battery drain. I woudlnt know as I didnt compare BB with and without BeBuzz.

How do I find the temperature data?
    07-05-13 07:50 AM
    When first setup, especially with lots of accounts or large email amounts, the phone takes a day or two to process it all and settle in. Give it a couple of days and see if it improves.
    07-05-13 07:54 AM
    No, this is after a full recharge and then using it for normal stuff. For example I just did it again. Walked out of the office after a full charge. Went to eat. Were talking maybe an hour. Surfed the web a bit and watched a few videos. Then its down 10%.... wtf? This will not last a day of use for sure at this rate. Im looking at it now, its down 15% charge... Its crazy! Something is definitely draining the battery, either some hardware flaw or software issue.

I mean, the phone is hotter than most so it definitely uses a lot of power.
    07-05-13 07:00 PM
    I would check software drain and the battery itself. Conditioned my battery at the beginning, good battery life from the start. If all previous doesn't help, maybe your battery is defect.

CB10 - Q10
    07-05-13 08:01 PM
    What do you mean by conditioned? I'd like to try it if it will extend battery life.
    07-06-13 04:45 PM
    I came from a 9700 to the Q10 as well (T-MO Branded) Mine gets warm as well but I think this is the new norm for all smart phones now. I used to work tech support for Apple during the 3G and iPad 1 days and those would get warm as well. My playbook gets warm during use as also...Compared to my 9700 which didn't do any of that. My Q10 battery drains about the same as yours does. Trying different OS leaks and setting tweeks to extend it but nothing significant yet. I miss my 9700 battery life lol

edu3110 likes this.
    07-06-13 04:51 PM
    I've been missing my 9700 battery life since the day I stopped using it. I've never experienced anything like it. I wish these companies would emphasize battery life more. My phone doesn't have to be super skinny. My Z10 is my mobile computer and I wish it had batter battery life as well. I carry the battery charging bundle with me as a backup. The battery life is ok but nothing like the 9700.
    deltact and LudwigvonKast like this.
    07-06-13 04:55 PM
    My 9700 was my first BB and got that on release day and same with my Q10. Guess I never realized how awesome of a BB the 9700 model was. But as always stuff becomes dated and i felt it was finally time to upgrade.
    07-06-13 05:33 PM
    Have you tried taking the back cover off and physically touch the battery to see if it warm? I've had the same problem as you and I thought maybe it's because I held the phone for too long, so I removed the back cover and discovered that the battery is warm but not as warm as the back cover. So I guess both body and battery contributed to the warm sensation you are experiencing.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 07:23 PM
    I am on verizon and my battery life is great with no heat issues. I am actually surprised by how good the battery life is.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 07:34 PM
    I came from a 9700 to the Q10 as well (T-MO Branded) Mine gets warm as well but I think this is the new norm for all smart phones now. I used to work tech support for Apple during the 3G and iPad 1 days and those would get warm as well. My playbook gets warm during use as also...Compared to my 9700 which didn't do any of that. My Q10 battery drains about the same as yours does. Trying different OS leaks and setting tweeks to extend it but nothing significant yet. I miss my 9700 battery life lol
    I guess cause they are putting higher performance and power hungry processors this happens.

Im just worried if I can even put a back case on it without it potentially overheating. Esepcialyl since some cases are plastics and they are quite thick which helps insulate the device more causing higher temperatures. For example, the Otterboxs will thermally insulate them pretty good so more heat on the device.
    07-07-13 12:16 AM
    I've been missing my 9700 battery life since the day I stopped using it. I've never experienced anything like it. I wish these companies would emphasize battery life more. My phone doesn't have to be super skinny. My Z10 is my mobile computer and I wish it had batter battery life as well. I carry the battery charging bundle with me as a backup. The battery life is ok but nothing like the 9700.
    Yeah me too Im coming from the 9700 too. That had good battery life. I literally dont have to charge it for a few days sometimes.

Ive had the Q10 for a few days and during each individual day, I had to find a charger. THis phone cannot last a good day's worth of usage. This is horrible.
    LudwigvonKast likes this.
    07-07-13 12:18 AM
    The reason why your phone's battery is draining very quickly is because (like old Blackberries), after keeping the phone ON for a few days, some processes keep running in the background. These processes do not show up on the user interface but you will notice them when you view you Memory consumption. The running processes constantly use CPU time, which causes the increased usage of battery. Older Blackberries ran out of memory before the lingering processing could drain the battery. Q10 has enough memory that the phone doesn't freeze, but on the downside the processes don't exit themselves and keep the CPU busy (for no good reason).

The only way to fix this is to do a "battery pull". Note, shutting the phone off or restarting it doesn't help as both of these options dump the memory, suspend the processes, and then on startup, loads the memory back and resumes all the old processes. Doing a battery pull forces it to lose the memory and load the entire operating system from scratch.

The startup will take much longer, but your phone won't drain battery power too quickly anymore. It would still last about 24 hours, not as good as the old Blackberries (or old phones in general), but that's just because the new smartphones have bigger faster processors to render all the fancy graphics. iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy S4 both drain from 100% to dead in 24 hours as well.

I imagine Seidio will be releasing an extended battery (with battery door) for the Q10 in the next 6 months. Keep an eye out for that if you want to really extend your battery life.

Also, charge it with an (original) Apple USB charger adapter (2.1 Amperes) or a Blackberry Charger (1.8 Amperes). For some reason the one that came with my Q10 says 0.85 Amperes on it, which is way below what BB recommends for a Q10 (1.8 Amperes).
    hamzasalam, thej and LudwigvonKast like this.
    07-07-13 03:02 AM
    Wow this is how bad it is. Left it at full charge last night before sleeping. Pulled the charger out. Then this morning, after 9 hours, I see the power drained 15%. This is doing absolutely nothing. Maybe something is wrong with my battery? I dont know. THe only program running is bebuzz.
    07-07-13 09:51 AM
    I am on verizon and my battery life is great with no heat issues. I am actually surprised by how good the battery life is.

Posted via CB10
    How long does your phone last? Mine wont last one day.
    07-07-13 10:16 AM
    How long does your phone last? Mine wont last one day.
    Yeah Ive used my phone for a little less than a week. Every single day in the middle of it I needed a charger. This is absolutely horrible and sort of unacceptable. I never had to worry about battery life for my 9700 mostly. I charge it maybe once in 3 days.

THe fact my phone dropped 15% charge overnight on 9 hours doing nothing but sitting there overnight is sort of crazy. Not sure if bebuzz is the reason here though but its pretty bad. Also when playing games or videos or surfing the web, the phone gets pretty hot.
    07-07-13 10:36 AM
    I also come from 9700, in fact im still using it. I really love my bb q10 except for the battery life. I never upgraded to smart phones because of the short battery life. My friends have iphones and samsung s4 and their phones doesnt last 24 hours. That to me is not practical for a cellphone. I've read reviews saying that q10 has a good battery life, i thought that it could last me at least a day and a half but i never expected it to be this bad. For people coming from other smartphones q10 battery life is great. But coming from 9700 which could last 2 days or more the q10 is a nightmare. Im sad about the battery life of phones now. I always have to worry about my battery. If i could only put 3 batteries on this phone.. i wish.
    LudwigvonKast likes this.
    07-07-13 11:05 AM
    I also come from 9700, in fact im still using it. I really love my bb q10 except for the battery life. I never upgraded to smart phones because of the short battery life. My friends have iphones and samsung s4 and their phones doesnt last 24 hours. That to me is not practical for a cellphone. I've read reviews saying that q10 has a good battery life, i thought that it could last me at least a day and a half but i never expected it to be this bad. For people coming from other smartphones q10 battery life is great. But coming from 9700 which could last 2 days or more the q10 is a nightmare. Im sad about the battery life of phones now. I always have to worry about my battery. If i could only put 3 batteries on this phone.. i wish.
    I agree with this. Im not very happy about this too. Its now ingrained in my mind as a thing to worry about. I NEVER had to worry about battery life much when Iw as using the 9700. I thought its battery life was amazing back then. It was better than my razr. But this Q10 battery life is horrible. Definitely wont last 24 hours. I left it overnight when asleep for 9 hours and it drops 15% being completely idle. Imagine if I am using it? Oh tried that already, drops 20% in an hour.
    07-07-13 11:09 AM
    By battery also drops like that. Id like to think that my q10 is a small tablet with call and text function and not as a phone. I still carry my 9700, my phone, with me. Hey blackberry thanks for a great tablet.
    07-07-13 11:20 AM
    The 9700 was just amazing!

Posted via CB10
    cnote221 likes this.
    07-07-13 11:28 AM
    By battery also drops like that. Id like to think that my q10 is a small tablet with call and text function and not as a phone. I still carry my 9700, my phone, with me. Hey blackberry thanks for a great tablet.
    Unfortunately I do believe my ipad lasts longer than my Q10 at this rate. And it has a bigger screen.
    07-07-13 11:36 AM
    Unfortunately I do believe my ipad lasts longer than my Q10 at this rate. And it has a bigger screen.
    Yah but the ipad has a bigger battery. Why couldnt they make the battery big for this phone? I wouldnt mind adding more bulk as long as it has more battery life.
    07-07-13 11:40 AM
    Shoot, I feel lucky. I run BeWeather (update every 1/2hr) and BeBuzz in my active frame. Three Email accounts that check for new mail every 1/2hr. Phone calls 2-3hrs. 25-50 text msgs, Check Ebay a couple times a day, On CB about 5 times a day (no push), check dating site 2-3 times, WiFi & BT turned on all day, besides driving 400-500 miles per day.

My Q10 is off the charger around 1am and put back on the charger around 7pm and I've never been below 25%.

SQN 100-2
    07-07-13 11:45 AM
193 123 ...