Hello all I have a situation requiring immediate help on my wife's Q10.

My 16 year old son was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma Stage 2B the other day and starts chemotherapy tomorrow. Suffice to say my wife's mind is all over the place today.

This morning at the hospital she thought a nurse may have seen her enter her device password so she changed it and put the phone away. Given my son will be there for the next 4-6 months she didn't want to take that chance and changed her password.

She is not tech savvy so did this without me present. Now she came to me with 6 failed attempts to log in. She just can't remember. With all that she's been through she's drawn a complete blank and the thought of losing everything on her device doesn't help.

I know the whole purpose of data protection and how big that is with BlackBerry but I an taking a shot here.

IS there any work around to this?? Any at all??

She has all the recent Contacts journal entries medication intervals etc etc stored on her phone. She hasn't had a chance to do a backup in the past 4 weeks while we've going from doctor to doctor.

I am begging if anyone knows how to beat this thing we would be entirely grateful. This is serious for us given the circumstances.

Like I said she is not tech savvy and doesn't use apps like protect device keeper etc etc.

Anyways that's not the point. We need help and I am praying that someone has a workaround. There has to be an emergency contingency plan world into the OS to account for this no? I mean what about for people with mental illness.

I know I'm rambling but we are panicking at the moment.

Help is an understatement

Thank you.

Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    05-11-14 12:08 PM
    Just let her know that after 10 failed attempts the device will wipe and she start fresh. Incidentally, why would she think the nurse would care in the least to access her phone. Is your wife a ceo or something?

Not meaning to sound cold but why?????????????

Posted via CB10
    redsaph likes this.
    05-11-14 12:12 PM
    Just let her know that after 10 failed attempts the device will wipe and she start fresh. Incidentally, why would she think the nurse would care in the least to access her phone. Is your wife a ceo or something?

Not meaning to sound cold but why?????????????

Posted via CB10
    Because that nurse will be in my son's room every day for the next 4 months. Do you trust everyone you meet? What if my wife dozes while in room wit son and nurse sees phone and gets curious? and yes, she is a Manager at a financial institution.

Straying way off topic.
    We know her device will be wiped. That doesn't help us
    ...we need the data on her phone. Device wipe is what we are trying to avoid at all costs

05-11-14 12:18 PM
    i dont think there is anything you can do other than remember the password. This is the entire purpose of the security of having the phone wipe itself after 10 tries
    redsaph likes this.
    05-11-14 12:18 PM
    Howarmat is right. Nothing to be done at this point unless she remembers her password. Maybe the BES administrator can remotely reset the password. Other than that, wipe away.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-14 12:27 PM
    My heart goes out to you and your family - I was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin s Lymphoma Stage 2A when I was 18. So please have faith as I am close to 50 now and not even in "remission" but considered "cured"

As far as your password issue goes the only option would be Blackberry Protect. IF you have that enabled, follow these steps: (from an older thread and thanks to user VIPCOMPUTERS) but i just logged into site and info is correct

Go to this link for information and login
    BlackBerry Protect Login - Download BlackBerry Protect and Sign In - US

Go to this link for direct login
    https://blackberryid.blackberry.com/...&locale=ZW4%3D

Login with your BlackBerry ID credentials, if successful, you will see many options, like View Location of your device, Play a loud sound to find your device even if it is on silent, Display a Message instructing the person that has your device, Lock Your Device and Wipe Your Device. Choose the Lock your device, enter a password and send the command to your phone. This will reset the password of the device and allow you to log in.

If you don't have BB Protect on for her phone, then yes after 10 attempts, all data will be wiped.. Hope this works for you =- please let us know and I will keep you so in my thoughts.
    redsaph and drfever like this.
    05-11-14 12:31 PM
    My heart goes out to you and your family - I was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin s Lymphoma Stage 2A when I was 18. So please have faith as I am close to 50 now and not even in "remission" but considered "cured"

As far as your password issue goes the only option would be Blackberry Protect. IF you have that enabled, follow these steps: (from an older thread and thanks to user VIPCOMPUTERS) but i just logged into site and info is correct

Go to this link for information and login

Go to this link for direct login
    https://blackberryid.blackberry.com/...&locale=ZW4%3D

Login with your BlackBerry ID credentials, if successful, you will see many options, like View Location of your device, Play a loud sound to find your device even if it is on silent, Display a Message instructing the person that has your device, Lock Your Device and Wipe Your Device. Choose the Lock your device, enter a password and send the command to your phone. This will reset the password of the device and allow you to log in.

If you don't have BB Protect on for her phone, then yes after 10 attempts, all data will be wiped.. Hope this works for you =- please let us know and I will keep you so in my thoughts.
    Thank you. First for the heartfelt message of hope and for your instructions. I will give it a shot. Thank you.

05-11-14 12:46 PM
    GOT IT

In attempt number 8!!!

Where can I get blackberry protect for OS 10 devices?? Can't seem to find it and want to get it going in her Q10

Thanks

redsaph likes this.
    05-11-14 12:56 PM
    GOT IT

In attempt number 8!!!

Where can I get blackberry protect for OS 10 devices?? Can't seem to find it and want to get it going in her Q10

Thanks

So you got it? Found protect/worked or got what?I think the protect way is the only way.

Posted via ? Q10Bold
    Last edited by Q10Bold; 05-11-14 at 01:16 PM.
    05-11-14 01:03 PM
    GOT IT

In attempt number 8!!!

Thanks

Excellent - glad you got it.

Blackberry Protect can be found here:

Good luck.
    05-11-14 02:25 PM
    So you got it? Found protect/worked or got what?I think the protect way is the only way.

Posted via ? Q10Bold
    Got the correct password on attempt number 8. My wife remembered it.

05-11-14 02:57 PM
    I turned on BlackBerry Protect on our family's BlackBerry 10 devices.

Are there any configuration settings though like it had on the legacy devices? (only over wifi, back up settings etc) I don't see them as I did on older devices and was wondering if they were hidden somewhere.

How does protect work on BlackBerry 10 now? Does it do it over wifi only? Weekly etc.?

Any info would be appreciated.

05-11-14 03:03 PM
    I turned on BlackBerry Protect on our family's BlackBerry 10 devices.

Are there any configuration settings though like it had on the legacy devices? (only over wifi, back up settings etc) I don't see them as I did on older devices and was wondering if they were hidden somewhere.

How does protect work on BlackBerry 10 now? Does it do it over wifi only? Weekly etc.?

Any info would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, Blackberry has removed the option of backing up the device using BB Protect and seems to have focused on Security (finding lost device, enabling a ring tone to help find the device in case you let it fall/slip under couch and of course the ability to reset the password.

I would strongly suggest using the latest version of Blackberry Link to do weekly (if not daily) backups. I hope that you would have access to your wifes laptop to get that going.I would also suggest that you log into the BB Protect web site and try and locate device as well as sending a tone to the Q - just to be on the safe side that they are communicating correctly.

Again, best of luck and please tell your Son that the best thing he can do is have a positive attitude through this. Been there, done that have many MANY t-shirts.
    drfever likes this.
    05-11-14 03:10 PM
    GOT IT

In attempt number 8!!!

Thanks

Talk about cutting it close!

Best of luck and wishes to your entire family.

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    drfever likes this.
    05-11-14 03:19 PM
    Unfortunately, Blackberry has removed the option of backing up the device using BB Protect and seems to have focused on Security (finding lost device, enabling a ring tone to help find the device in case you let it fall/slip under couch and of course the ability to reset the password.

I would strongly suggest using the latest version of Blackberry Link to do weekly (if not daily) backups. I hope that you would have access to your wifes laptop to get that going.I would also suggest that you log into the BB Protect web site and try and locate device as well as sending a tone to the Q - just to be on the safe side that they are communicating correctly.

Again, best of luck and please tell your Son that the best thing he can do is have a positive attitude through this. Been there, done that have many MANY t-shirts.
    Thank you again. Will ensure regular backups are done now. It always takes a scare to make sure.

Most of all, smart phones aside (contacts can always be restored ) I appreciate the messages of hope more. Thank you.

05-12-14 04:49 PM
    Glad to hear that your wife remembered password & I will pray for your family.
    As for back up options, Blackberry link is not reliable (at least for me), I recommend app called "Firechest Backup". It's no longer free but it backs up important data to cloud or SD card. You can even encrypt & you don't need a computer to do it.
    I usually backup to SD card, encrypted and to cloud, also encrypted just in case I lose my Q. Then move cloud backup to my PC when I have a chance. You can do this every time you add something important to your phone from anywhere with internet access(if you are choosing cloud option). For Password Keeper, you have option to export data from it's setting.
    Now you can recover all your important data when you lose or wipe your device. One less thing to worry about.
    Good luck.
    05-12-14 08:20 PM
    Thank you again. Will ensure regular backups are done now. It always takes a scare to make sure.

Most of all, smart phones aside (contacts can always be restored ) I appreciate the messages of hope more. Thank you.

drfever - I was perusing through my participated threads looking for this specific one as I was thinking of you, your family and specifically your son (don't know why, just came to me one day this week while my son and I were doing our absolute favorite thing, watching Jack Bauer in "24") and I wanted to reach out to you to see how your son is progressing. If you an, please drop me a PM, or reply to this so all of us at CB can keeep track of how he is doing.

Hope the rest of the family is doing well.

Regards,
    07-15-14 11:24 PM
    My pray for your family

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 11:29 PM