Good Evening:

This past week I switched from an iPhone to a Blackberry Q10 (I LOVE the phone by the way). When I made the switch I had to make some minor changes to my data package with my service provider, Bell Canada. I called this evening to inquire if my package still included unlimited text messages, which it does, but the agent I was speaking with, as a courtesy, informed me that I had accrued a debt of 245.00 in Data over-use, spanning the eight days from November 5th. to 12th. I have apparently used five or six gigs of data in that time period, over the 3 gig limit my plan includes.

Here is the issue, I do not use data except for email, BBM and text messaging. I use Wi-fi at home, and only then to surf the web occasionally on the phone. I download nothing on my phone, with the exception of email. They were able to give me specific times and dates when I had used massive chunks of data, a few of these periods during which I know I wasn't using the phone at all. The Bell employee noted that I had never used in excess of 1.5 gigs of data over the number of years I have been a customer.

I was moved through three different representatives, one a technical 'expert', another in accounts and a third who I suppose is a troubleshooter. They all assured me they had never seen this particular problem, but I was told that they were 95% sure I would be credited the amount once the bill comes in. I was advised to remove the SIM card, battery, and do a hard reset to see if that fixes the problem. I was also advised that when I am connected to wi-fi, I should disable data. Does everyone else do that?

Has anyone else experienced this madness?

With thanks,

Del
    11-12-13 08:18 PM
    "I was also advised that when I am connected to wi-fi, I should disable data. Does everyone else do that?"

Bulls. The Q10, whenever WiFi is enabled, will use that instead of the carrier network for data.

I don't know what happened there, but that bit of info is just wrong.

Go over your apps, see which of them could be dragging loads of data over time. Also update to whatever latest OS you can (be it official of leak). I'd challange that bill if I were you. Maybe have them pull the history of your connection if that's possible and see where the data was being pulled from. On my bill, I can see how much each request "costed" (it is very very easy to stop it when I did video chat or yourtube).

Good luck there! Oh, and welcome to the forums!
    11-12-13 08:39 PM
    Thank you for your response. Yes, I certainly will contest the bill, since I did not (I don't think it would even be possible) use this massive amount of data in these few days. The only apps I have on my phone now are preloaded apps. Anyway, I'm hoping that this reset will rectify whatever the issue is/was. Thanks for your help, and thanks to this terrific forum.
    diegonei likes this.
    11-12-13 09:44 PM
    Did you happen add email accounts while on the go and then set the account to sync "Forever"? Thus downloading every email.
    11-12-13 09:51 PM
    Was your phone battery inexplicably draining rapidly on those days? If not, that just about proves that Bell is accounting for your usage incorrectly, not that your phone was pulling that kind of data through the network.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 10:02 PM
    Yes, my phone battery was draining like, and was very hot. The strangest thing indeed... thank you for taking the time to respond. I'm hoping I don't have.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 10:11 PM