As everything I have blogged so far has been fanboi style and too love love about the Q10 (apparently) I thought I would tackle the negatives for once.

Read if you are bored, it's quite long.

http://michaelsnasdell.blogspot.co.u...dsets.html?m=1

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 02:17 PM
    Don't we have enough negativity in this forum?
    R Field and SK122387 like this.
    05-13-13 02:41 PM
    You say negativity, I say objectivity.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    phylez and andy957 like this.
    05-13-13 02:47 PM
    Excellent write up Snazster, good to hear some objective writing on the negatives of this phone.

This is much more informative than the usual OMG BATTERY SUXXORZZ posts here on CB. I will admit I am a bit hesitant to buy the Q10 after reading all these posts, hopefully these issues are fixed asap.

Looks like I'm gonna stick with my 9900 a while longer, sigh -_-

05-13-13 03:01 PM
    Yawn

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 03:04 PM
    @chumpingtonUK Very insightful post! Care to tell us more?

kupfernigk likes this.
    05-13-13 03:18 PM
    His post was so long it made me yawn a little.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 03:38 PM
    Don't we have enough negativity in this forum?
    In my opinion it is important to not only point out the good sides of any device. Of course negative community critics obviously overwhelms the positive ones, it is just a common thing with all kind of reports. After all we don't read in the news that no airplanes have crashed or no women were raped on their way through the park. We'll read when bad stuff like this actually happens. People more often complain about things, than they would praise them.

Snazy on the other hand side has not only been one of the good "defenders" of the Q10, but he has been one of our most helpful Crackberryians around here since Q10 release. He really tries to answer every single question, provide requests with screenshots, compares different apps on both of the BB10 devices. It is nice to read that even he suffers from quite some issues, which simply need to be fixed or at least investigated further.

I completely agree with him on the sometimes wonky screen responsiveness. People keep reporting they have trouble ending a phone call. I have been reporting about problem hitting the "New tweet" icon in the native Twitter app - a problem other members could recreate.
    Also I agree about the questionable "outdoor" performance of the Super AMOLED display Blackberry uses. While the sky keeps being grey around here, the initial day I got my Q10 was quite sunny and the experience was lackluster, especially compared to the Bold 9900. He is right about subjective readings, everyone has different eyes and sunlight conditions can highly differ from country to country. But I was quite surprised when Bla1ze reported his Q10 has zero problems in bright Arizona sun, while my display could hardly be read in mediocre Hamburg sunshine - a city with weather conditions quite comparable to London. So what is going on there? Is it really just an individual problem, differing from user to user? Does BBRY use different displays per model or are there even some units with faulty screens around?

His observations about the notification and profile menu structure is quite accurate. I also wanted to setup a complete range of tones for all my notifications. However not being able to preview the desired ringtone unless you actually select it is a bummer. If you dislike the tone you hear, you have to open the "search tones" menu again, navigate again around the folder and repeat the steps. That could've been made more convenient. I am also a bit disappointed we still have no basic LED colour selection like later OS7.1 versions offer. I am not talking about a more complex app like BeBuzz, Hub++ or Advance LED&OS (for BBOS), but a simple selection with half a dozen of colours.

One of my first disappointments with the new system was the calendar. At first I really enjoyed the new look, dark theme and overall interface. Then however I wanted to create my first appointment, next days shift. I work changing shifts, with odd working times. So I start at time like 6:23am, 11:41am or 2:07pm and also end work at similar odd times. Now I can't select these exact times in my calendar appointments, since Blackberry decided to allow only five minute step precision. I can however set my alarm clock to ring at 4:29am or 5:44am. Makes no sense to me.

Now this is not some sort of destructive "This device sucks!" critic, but rather actual observations of questionable stuff many people can check or recreate for themselves. These observations can be discussed and even be worked on by the Blackberry software engineers. This company steps into difficult grounds with BB10, needing not only to attract new customers to their new OS, but keep the existing users happy and satisfied. Doing a completely new thing in a market which becomes more and more a duopoly of two (in Stephen Elops words) ecosystems is a heavy challenge, especially while you have the burden to keep your loyal fans at the same time. A market where the simple saying "Go Android or go down." becomes more and more realistic on an almost daily basis, I am glad that Blackberry is one of the (still) big players who decides to create their own thing. I am also thankful Blackberry did not only ditch the physical keyboard like everybody else, basicly even including Nokia, no, they even created a high-end QWERTY handset with the Q10.

Sure, this new device with a new, fresh and emerging OS plattform has its dents and problems. It is important to point out at problems so BBRY can either solve the problems with either updates or improving on the next generation of hardware. The Q10 is a great phone, one of the best I've ever used. It really is. But just because of that I simply can't ignore annoying things which, sometimes, can be easily improved and/or fixed.
    Observations like this also especially help existing (long-term) Blackberry users to determine whether they should or should not jump over to BB10 soon from their legacy devices. As already said, as good as the Q10 is, there simply are areas where my "old" Bold 9900 simply outperforms the Q10. Be it the displays outdoor performance or the one-handed usability.
    05-13-13 03:39 PM
    As everything I have blogged so far has been fanboi style and too love love about the Q10 (apparently) I thought I would tackle the negatives for once.

http://michaelsnasdell.blogspot.co.u...dsets.html?m=1

Posted via CB10
    A really good write Snaz. And since you're a loyal and serious BlackBerry user your Blog post reflects pretty much a very objective POV. Thanks for writing it down, the Q10 is nevertheless one heck of a phone, totally love my Z10 AND my Q10.

Written under BB10
    Snazy and andy957 like this.
    05-13-13 03:47 PM
    haven't had the time to read the post, but thanks as always for your honest and transparent thoughts and feedback.

I agree with others, you have been greatly helpful in giving us your time so we can make educated purchases. I personally would never call anything you say a "negative" but I understand why you would use that word. I also agree objective posts are needed, if everything is all sunshine and unicorns average users will buy a device, then take to the forums truly being negative because they expected an unrealistic user experience. Things like that will hurt BB in the long run... I watched way more negativity around webOS than I have seen about BB10 on CB
    andy957 likes this.
    05-13-13 05:02 PM
    His post was so long it made me yawn a little.

Posted via CB10
    Lol I should have put a warning at the beginning I guess.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 05:15 PM
    OK, I confess, I used the word 'negative' to provoke a response and steal some attention. And cunningly to make some of the forum trolls that just hunt for negativity to feed on, to choke for just a bit.

Thank you for the responses, I am honestly rather overwhelmed right now, I didn't realise I had made such a profound impact, but am grateful for the comments and feedback on this and my other ramblings.

I agree with the sentiment here, that discussing the issues rather than trying to beat a company up with them is the way ahead, and while I have somehow been occasionally called a 'spammer' on CB recently, my true intentions are quite simple. Help others find a little happiness if they are having issues with their devices, spread the truth not rumours about the BB10 OS and devices, and in some way give my feedback in a way it might just get noticed as a constructive breakdown of the issues. Putting others complaints into a sensible format where it can be understood, acknowledged and maybe even resolved.

I'm glad that some see it for what it is.

I know my blogs can sometimes ramble on for quite some time, but I try and put in as much content as possible, making myself as clear as possible, in a way people can relate and say 'aah yeah, I have that problem' or ' oh that's how you do it' etc.

Be warned, anyone who got sleepy reading that, don't read the next one whatever you do, that will really finish you off. (not published it yet)

Thanks again for the feedback, and great to see the detailed responses just on this thread alone are food for great debate and conversation for a long time to come.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
    05-13-13 05:27 PM
    Excellent write up Snazster, good to hear some objective writing on the negatives of this phone.

This is much more informative than the usual OMG BATTERY SUXXORZZ posts here on CB. I will admit I am a bit hesitant to buy the Q10 after reading all these posts, hopefully these issues are fixed asap.

No problem, glad you read it for what it is

Don't be too put off by some of the stories, but if you have any specifics I can help put to rest, or under the spotlight, shout up.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 05:29 PM

I'm in the same boat. I don't want a full touch device and as far as i can tell, my 9900 is fine for now. I don't game, I don't watch movies on a 4" screen, I love the track pad, conscience key (although I wish there was a second one like on the 9700), I like the unified inbox in OS7 and the hub seems a little gimmicky to me, and I also don't like that a number of the features found on legacy decides are non existent in BB10. There's a reason I stuck with blackberry and it wasn't the stupid black spinning hour glass... It was the features (like customizable notifications).
    lyles and Legal Eagle like this.
    05-13-13 05:32 PM
    I'm in the same boat. I don't want a full touch device and as far as i can tell, my 9900 is fine for now. I don't game, I don't watch movies on a 4" screen, I love the track pad, conscience key (although I wish there was a second one like on the 9700), I like the unified inbox in OS7 and the hub seems a little gimmicky to me, and I also don't like that a number of the features found on legacy decides are non existent in BB10. There's a reason I stuck with blackberry and it wasn't the stupid black spinning hour glass... It was the features (like customizable notifications).
    I hear ya loud and clear, and totally agree with where you are both coming from on this one. There are 2 ways to look at this whole situation, and they are something like this.

BlackBerry will be focusing on BB10 but are not about to forget legacy devices any time soon. Hell they are gonna be making them for years to come yet, and supporting them back end too I would expect. For anyone unconvinced that now is the time to swap, you are still on solid ground, and not slowly sinking. If the 9900 ticks all the boxes for you, sit tight. Plain and simple.

OR..

At some point, be it now or 6 months down the line you feel the OS is mature enough, and suits your needs. That a smooth(ish) transition can be made, and the BB10 device can meet your requirements with a little bit of patience and perseverance from you making the swap of OS's. Hold on til that time arrives.

Whatever the case, I'm pretty confident right now that BlackBerry will cater for all.

BB10 IS a powerful platform, it is a 'game changer' to get all Apple about it for the moment. The future of BlackBerry lays in BB10 and beyond, there is no doubt there.

Does it have glitches, hell yeah. Are there little bits missing or 'not present', yes there are. Is it a different environment that requires a certain amount of time to swap to, errm yep! Is it worth it... damn straight!
    BB10 isn't OS7, and there is a reason for that.... it's not meant to be. This isn't the BlackBerry version of the iphone 76S/G model 6 type 4 Bravo Tango.... this is a new day for BlackBerry and a leap forwards, not a baby step inching forwards one safe step at a time.

In MY opinion, for the average BlackBerry user BB10 is ready to go, fully capable, and a leap past the legacy devices, both hardware and software.

But THIS is the important bit, so read carefully.
    Right now BlackBerry is out shopping for all the stuff it needs for its journey ahead. If you go with it to the store, you can tell it what to take with it, and have some input in what it carries forwards with it.
    If you sit the shopping trip out, don't complain when it arrives at the end of the journey and is missing a few bits.

In English, in its infancy it is for the early adopters to have a voice (like the blog entry) and put forwards ideas, requests and suggestions for BlackBerry to take on board and see if they can somehow make it work. Those who arrive late will simply take what they are given. In the early days there will be many patches, upgrades and updates. But as stability arrives, and the market settles, a solid, developed finalised version of the OS will have been found, and anything missing will probably stay that way.

I think I need to take some medication or something, that was all a little bit too serious for my liking! Hope you got my point though.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 05:51 PM
    Snaz,

Thanks for taking the time with that write-up. Good stuff.

The bottom line is, though, there are just too many areas where the 9900 is BETTER than the Q10.

I understand why bbry had to come out with a brand new OS and innovation. But to leave some of the most common functions out, which is why 'we' have stuck with a BB to begin with, is inexplicable and worrisome.

I've had a BB since '03. Loved every single one of them. This will probably be the first time I won't upgrade. I may get some kind of Android as my main line, and use the bb 9900 for emails/texting only.

Very sad.
    phylez and kevinnugent like this.
    05-13-13 07:28 PM
    Snaz,

Thanks for taking the time with that write-up. Good stuff.

The bottom line is, though, there are just too many areas where the 9900 is BETTER than the Q10.

I understand why bbry had to come out with a brand new OS and innovation. But to leave some of the most common functions out, which is why 'we' have stuck with a BB to begin with, is inexplicable and worrisome.

I've had a BB since '03. Loved every single one of them. This will probably be the first time I won't upgrade. I may get some kind of Android as my main line, and use the bb 9900 for emails/texting only.

Very sad.
    All I can say honestly, remember where iOS and Android started, neither were super phones at launch. The only thing is they didn't have preconceived expectation. BB users are looking for what they had, remember this is a ground up launch as was both iOS and Android, also webOS and WP. Can't expect it to be the same, doesn't mean the features won't come, this really is the idea of early adopter vs waiting out to see what else comes out in updates and devices.
    Snazy likes this.
    05-13-13 09:02 PM
    All I can say honestly, remember where iOS and Android started, neither were super phones at launch. The only thing is they didn't have preconceived expectation. BB users are looking for what they had, remember this is a ground up launch as was both iOS and Android, also webOS and WP. Can't expect it to be the same, doesn't mean the features won't come, this really is the idea of early adopter vs waiting out to see what else comes out in updates and devices.
    Difference is that both of those OSs were brand new to their respective companies. BB10 is not BBRY's first OS and as such, they should know better. Bottom line is, BB10 is unfinished (and not because its in the early stages of the OS). It's unfinished because rather than risk another delay, they released a "good enough for right now" OS. Unacceptable from a company who invented the smart phone. This is similar to what happened with the PB's OS1.0 which, as an early adopter (I purchased the week it released), can tell you that it was unusable.
    05-14-13 12:49 AM

A day in the life of....: My gripes about BB10 and the handsets

Posted via CB10
    This was a good review. I have a i5 and an iPad and I'm looking to get the q10. I would still have my 9930 but sprints network made the phone bad. I was to get the q10 when it comes to sprint since they aren't getting the z10, but with all these posts I'm kind of nervous. Hopefully everything will be ok and I will like it.
    05-14-13 01:44 AM
    i dont understand where is the one of the most imp feature of a keyboard bb fone ......
    1 speed dial from home screen ?
    2 and application short-cuts from which home screen ( which should be now more advance in os10 like custom short-cuts ,, but instead a dissapointment by not being there only )
    05-14-13 02:07 AM
    i dont understand where is the one of the most imp feature of a keyboard bb fone ......
    1 speed dial from home screen ?
    2 and application short-cuts from which home screen ( which should be now more advance in os10 like custom short-cuts ,, but instead a dissapointment by not being there only )
    My guess would be, BlackBerry decided, rightly or wrongly, that things like those aspects would have to wait and play second fiddle to the newer stuff they have put on it.

I agree the lack of speed dials is a bit of a mistake, but for me I can cope without them. It's never been a true selling point for me. But they should being them back all the same, and soon.
    Would be interesting to hear the reasoning for them missing.
    Same with the keyboard shortcuts.

My guess, and that's all it is, is that where the OS on the 2 devices is so similar, there has been no attention given to behaviour of the keyboard outside of applications. In this area the 2 devices behave in the same way more or less.

I hope there is scope to bolt all the additional bits onto the Q, and R when it comes, once the OS is running stable enough.

Given the amount of attention this issue has already gained, I would think the addition of the missing shortcuts will happen sooner rather than later, if even possible. Til then, it's type and go for me.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 02:54 AM
    Difference is that both of those OSs were brand new to their respective companies. BB10 is not BBRY's first OS and as such, they should know better. Bottom line is, BB10 is unfinished (and not because its in the early stages of the OS). It's unfinished because rather than risk another delay, they released a "good enough for right now" OS. Unacceptable from a company who invented the smart phone. This is similar to what happened with the PB's OS1.0 which, as an early adopter (I purchased the week it released), can tell you that it was unusable.
    As a (recently retired after over 30 years) software developer, I can tell you that every piece of software ever written, even "Hello world", is unfinished when it is released. There is never a clear right place to say "stop, it's done". There are simply too many decisions to make. (Take "Hello world": all capitals? Both words start with uppercase? Line feed afterwards? And that's just putting two words on a teletype.)
    Like cathedrals and gardens, it is never possible to work out exactly how things should be until people gain experience with them. The people who develop software cannot do it because they know how things work. Nobody at BlackBerry can see things from the POV of a typical iPhone user or old style BlackBerry user; they can only test with a few people under artificial conditions (journalists also do not count) and hope.
    Even user feedback doesn't always work. It's said that Windows 8 is the result of all those anonymous user statistics fed back to Microsoft. It turns out they were reading them wrong, or they didn't mean what they seemed to mean.
    OldSkoolVWLover and Snazy like this.
    05-14-13 03:31 AM
    As a (recently retired after over 30 years) software developer, I can tell you that every piece of software ever written, even "Hello world", is unfinished when it is released. There is never a clear right place to say "stop, it's done". There are simply too many decisions to make. (Take "Hello world": all capitals? Both words start with uppercase? Line feed afterwards? And that's just putting two words on a teletype.)
    Like cathedrals and gardens, it is never possible to work out exactly how things should be until people gain experience with them. The people who develop software cannot do it because they know how things work. Nobody at BlackBerry can see things from the POV of a typical iPhone user or old style BlackBerry user; they can only test with a few people under artificial conditions (journalists also do not count) and hope.
    Even user feedback doesn't always work. It's said that Windows 8 is the result of all those anonymous user statistics fed back to Microsoft. It turns out they were reading them wrong, or they didn't mean what they seemed to mean.
    Great explaination.
    I agree totally, it simply isn't possible to release a 'finished' product. And any company claiming to would just be abused for their arrogance in believing so.

Your later part hits on exactly why I try to be concise and clear about my issues, rather than 'this is crap' or 'it doesn't work'. Which sadly is where most go wrong when apparently trying to be helpful and constructive.

Posted via CB10
    kupfernigk likes this.
    05-14-13 03:36 AM
    Amazing and amusing piece of info.
    Due to various web searches made etc, directing people to the blog, the stats for this one entry have gone through the roof.

So it seems that it's common to search the internet for negative comments about BlackBerry but not so much for the positive.

Speaks volumes.

Posted via CB10
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    05-14-13 04:48 AM
    Thanks for this post and thread, Snazy. The biggest positive that I continue to take away here is that hardware issues are nowhere to be found other than maybe the display in sunlight. Most reviews I see rave about the speed moving around the OS, camera seems up to par and a major improvement over the 5mp 9930, browser lightning fast and easy to navigate (except for some swipe up issues when scrolling?), finally we have LTE, no more battery pulls, no more hourglass, massive battery power, simply put, all reports indicate hardware is rarely going to be an issue ever again.

All the issues that have me contemplating staying with my 9930 for a little while longer, can be fixed if BB can hear the complaints. Speed dial I'm not too concerned about but homepage shortcuts are, especially with no convenience key available. Hub issues don't sound that bad to me. First I've heard of the calendar issues though. Obviously it sounds like they will continue to try and refine the copy/paste until users are satisfied, I know I'll be able to adjust to no trackpad but it definitely is one of those things you just use and use often because it's there. Always figured if I was getting some more screen, it'd probably be sacrificed so it is what it is. A virtual one would be cool or something like the playstation controller function that someone posted about here a couple months ago would be great.

Despite desperately waiting for this phone to get to Verizon, I do think I've settled on the idea of waiting for some more updates and the price to come down. The 9930 is still going strong and it's not like I haven't been waiting already. Might as well wait and see what the next update brings and maybe spend a little less up front in the process.

Two questions, do you use vibrate function a lot for notifications and how is it? I always keep my phone on vibrate and 9930's is strong and I am always alerted by it whether it's in my pocket or on a hard surface and it's often easy to notice while resting on a soft surface like a chair or couch.

Second, selecting multiple messages, obviously a breeze on the 9930 with shift + trackpad, hopefully not too far a step back with no trackpad?

Also, if a battery pull is done for some reason, I assume they've sped up the reboot speed?

And thanks again for all the objective posts on the device, they've been quite helpful!
    05-14-13 06:51 AM
47 12