have any of you been tempted to replace the keyboard on your own instead of sending it in for repairs?

I don't have a back up blackberry since my previous curve (which was a back up blackberry originally!) has a broken trackpad. So my choice is to walk into a verizon store, and have them send my device in for repairs which they should do for free and get my phone back in 2-3 weeks, or spend 25 dollars on a new keyboard, 20 dollars on a took kit, and 10 minutes of my time replacing it myself... I'm seriously tempted.. has anyone replaced it?

seems pretty straight forward:

**my keyboard issue is that my o key is SUPER sensitive, inserting an o every time i brush it when pressing I or P, using word prediction cuts down on me having to use those keys, but it still happens often.. every time I want to write I in the middle of a sentence i get oI or Io!
    fatkiid likes this.
    09-13-13 11:55 AM
    Funny. Someone else just posted that his kb was missing the o when he wanted to type!
    Must be some hardware defect!
    09-13-13 12:05 PM
    Funny. Someone else just posted that his kb was missing the o when he wanted to type!
    Must be some hardware defect!
    I've seen a few threads about random keys acting up... for me i'm thinking the O key got extra use because of typing out outlook.com, my last name including two O's and that my password uses keys I and P... but I would be REALLY disappointed if my use caused this.. even with that amount of use that key has gotten, it pales in compassion to how much use it would get "normally" over a 1-2 year time period. So i'm hoping its (bad) luck of the draw!
    09-13-13 12:08 PM
    have any of you been tempted to replace the keyboard on your own instead of sending it in for repairs?

I don't have a back up blackberry since my previous curve (which was a back up blackberry originally!) has a broken trackpad. So my choice is to walk into a verizon store, and have them send my device in for repairs which they should do for free and get my phone back in 2-3 weeks, or spend 25 dollars on a new keyboard, 20 dollars on a took kit, and 10 minutes of my time replacing it myself... I'm seriously tempted.. has anyone replaced it?

seems pretty straight forward:

**my keyboard issue is that my o key is SUPER sensitive, inserting an o every time i brush it when pressing I or P, using word prediction cuts down on me having to use those keys, but it still happens often.. every time I want to write I in the middle of a sentence i get oI or Io!
    I'd be tempted to go to an independant 3rd party (assuming your manufactureres warranty has expired which I don't think is mathmatically possible yet) as you will still get a warranty with any work done and they will eat the cost of any screw ups.. If you do have to take it in to VZW for warranty work then I would get a loaner berry out of them and do it that way. use the warranty, let BBRY know of a hardware issue and keep it easy for yourself.
    09-13-13 12:56 PM
    if its the first time disassembling the q10, it will take longer than 10 min... probably around 30....

also, the vid I watched never mentioned needing a tiny phillips screwdriver... I mean TINY... I had to "make" my own... so beware...

after doing it once, then yea, 10 min block is do-able
    09-13-13 03:58 PM
    if its the first time disassembling the q10, it will take longer than 10 min... probably around 30....

also, the vid I watched never mentioned needing a tiny phillips screwdriver... I mean TINY... I had to "make" my own... so beware...

after doing it once, then yea, 10 min block is do-able
    Ahh fair enough, makes sense it'll take longer the first go around. Yea the video mentioned it, and they have a mini tool kit for available on their site, kinda pricey at 20 bucks i'm sure some of tools i'll never need... but i've learned from experience that the right tools make the job WAY easier always.
    09-14-13 10:05 AM
    If you purchased your BB-Q10 from a carrier (you'll most likely be under warranty), or pay the 8-10$ /mo for device insurance don't do this, as it will void your warranty completely. Otherwise, this is great.

The other day i was looking at parts on Ebay and couldn't believe how cheap the parts were! around $60-$70 for a full frontal replacement (digitizer, lcd, keyboard/membrane.) that is unheard of for a just recently released phone.
    09-14-13 01:13 PM