I recently read the first quarter earnings form BBRY, and to others and the media outlet, the great blackberry is still struggling. As a BB loyalist and lover, I think BB is not struggling at all but its just picking up speed. However, "Gigaom" reports that
    " At least that many Google Android devices are activated in two days.
    Apple sold 5 million iPhone 5 handsets during the first weekend of availability.
    In the first quarter of this year, Nokia sold 5.6 million Lumias running Microsoft Windows Phone, which is twice as many BlackBerry 10 devices sold." BlackBerry 10 handset sales last quarter just half that of Nokia�s Lumia — Tech News and Analysis.

This is not surprising, because the reason all these phones above or smartphone companies sold more phones were due to the availability of TOP TRENDING SOCIAL APPS . In this smartphone era, APPS are the real determinant of the success or failure of a new phone. Similarly smartphones are heavily dominated by high school and college students as well as people within the ages of 30 and 45 years. For example people in this age group will be interested in phones with native apps like instagram, vine, netflix, snapchat and any top trending social app
    because all their colleagues will also be sporting the same apps, which will make posting and communication to be fun.

BBRY is doing a great job, but lt looks like its attention is more focused on the business world than the more social world. BBRY 10 is a great OS, get the trending apps (Instagram, vine, snapchat, netflix and other top social apps) to target the high school and college students and BBRY can change the course of the smartphone game........GET THE APPS
    RaedShadi1, edu3110 and go1ndr like this.
    06-28-13 02:44 PM
    Aren't those mostly not available on WP8 too?
    SDTRMG likes this.
    06-29-13 11:35 PM
    Exactly - a lot of those apps are not available on wp8.

That said, wp8 phones hits all price tiers and are not so pricey, and - at least in the UK - have a robust advertising campaign (with some obligatory celebs). Wp8 is pitching itself and bright, fun, colourful et al. BlackBerry needs to step up advertising. The perception forThe BlackBerry brand isn't great and that's hurting it more.

It might not be perfect but a lot of the missing apps can be sideloaded onto a BlackBerry - wp8 is locked down harder than ios - no way in!

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    06-30-13 04:42 AM
    Everyone's obsessed with popularity. No doubt figures rule in business. Still... Blackberry 10 is awesome and I just believe some areas of marketing and more R&D to magnify the plus points of OS 10 will do
    06-30-13 04:50 AM
    But at least WP8 has much more official apps than BB10. You guys need to understand that developers will develop apps for a OS that sells and that's WP its selling gaining a lot of traction and attention this leads it to be worth developed for
    06-30-13 05:44 AM
    But at least WP8 has much more official apps than BB10. You guys need to understand that developers will develop apps for a OS that sells and that's WP its selling gaining a lot of traction and attention this leads it to be worth developed for
    I don't really think WP is that great, its just that its the only other real competitor out there since BBRY has been out of the game for a while. WP may have apps but the amount is nothing still when compared to IOS or Android. WP also has several years on BB10 OS. WP when first released was abysmal at best. I as well as many others thought that WP would just vanish into the sunset. But after several years, successful marketing campaigns, and competitive prices WP has actually done alright for itself. BB10 and the new lineup of phones BBRY has to offer have shaken the world that is BBRY. It is going to take some time for them to get their sea legs but once they do I firmly believe that BBRY is going to do alright. I don't claim to know everything or how to run a company even but I reckon that if BBRY can adjust their prices properly, saturate the market with ads, provide competitive prices on apps (apps that are free on every other OS but cost $10 on BBRY have got to go), provide incentive for developers to come to BB OS(could be as simple as showing them what a stable OS it is) then we will do alright. Like i said, BBRY has been out of the game for a while and they are going to need to learn how to walk before they can run.
    06-30-13 06:40 AM
    WP is very good mobile OS. Please, wakeup from your dreams. BB10 isn't "superior" to other mobile OSs.
    WP has at least 3 unofficial instagram clients and 2 unofficial vine clients. Native, of course, and some are for free. WP has very strong developer community and MS has the best dev tools. BB users are so desperate that they asked one of WP developer of instagram client to port WP application to BB. Here is link:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...re-how-820774/
    BB10 OS has some really unique features but is it enough? I don't think so.
    I am from Slovakia (Europe, EU). BB doesn't support Slovak language, fortunately BB support Czech language at least. Other mobile OS support Slovak language. There is not map support for Slovak, Czech, Poland and other European countries!
    BB10 is OS with big ideas, half baked realization, with lot of (small) bugs, with not enough apps and almost no ecosystem.
    The missing ecosystem is the worst point.
    Microsoft has:
    enterprise products (servers, database servers, server for mobile solutions...), desktop and tablet OS, game and entertainment device and service, search service, map service (including Nokia navigation), music service, translator, skydrive, outlook.com, Skype, ...

Lot of services are integrated to WP. WP8 has missing features, but what it has work perfect. WP8 is almost without bugs, rock stabile.
    Support from MS is so good as from Apple. Better than android and, of course, better than BB. There will be WP8.1 around the new year, with better integration of all big MS ecosystem. Are you sure about updates on BB10 after problems with 10.1 and playbook flop?
    Fans, you have no idea what is outside of your garden...
    06-30-13 12:11 PM
    It's difficult to say what is the solution. If bbry sold more phones then the apps would come but to sell more phones, the company needs more of the top apps.

I of the opinion bbry needs to give away more phones to influential people (no not celebraties) but that segment of the population that are the "look at me, I post stuff on Facebook and Twitter" crowd. The company does not have to "give away" the phone just offer a meaningful credit on BlackBerry World.
    06-30-13 12:18 PM
    WP is very good mobile OS. Please, wakeup from your dreams. BB10 isn't "superior" to other mobile OSs.
    WP has at least 3 unofficial instagram clients and 2 unofficial vine clients. Native, of course, and some are for free. WP has very strong developer community and MS has the best dev tools. BB users are so desperate that they asked one of WP developer of instagram client to port WP application to BB. Here is link:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...re-how-820774/
    BB10 OS has some really unique features but is it enough? I don't think so.
    I am from Slovakia (Europe, EU). BB doesn't support Slovak language, fortunately BB support Czech language at least. Other mobile OS support Slovak language. There is not map support for Slovak, Czech, Poland and other European countries!
    BB10 is OS with big ideas, half baked realization, with lot of (small) bugs, with not enough apps and almost no ecosystem.
    The missing ecosystem is the worst point.
    Microsoft has:
    enterprise products (servers, database servers, server for mobile solutions...), desktop and tablet OS, game and entertainment device and service, search service, map service (including Nokia navigation), music service, translator, skydrive, outlook.com, Skype, ...

Lot of services are integrated to WP. WP8 has missing features, but what it has work perfect. WP8 is almost without bugs, rock stabile.
    Support from MS is so good as from Apple. Better than android and, of course, better than BB. There will be WP8.1 around the new year, with better integration of all big MS ecosystem. Are you sure about updates on BB10 after problems with 10.1 and playbook flop?
    Fans, you have no idea what is outside of your garden...
    Nobody at any point said BB OS is superior to any other OS out there. what I DID say was that BB10 OS is a serious competitor it just needs people to see that. You are comparing two OS's one of which has only been out to the public for a few short months (atleast here in the states) which isn't exactly fair. WP has all those features now but I am sure many of those did not exist upon release. I am also sensing a bit of bias on your side when it comes to WP.as to your last comment, Its not that we have no idea what exists outside our own BBRY world. Its just that we have faith in BBRY and want to see them succeed.
    06-30-13 02:46 PM
    I can say one thing about WP8, I never see it advertised here in Canada, even looking in the local tech flyers it's the S4, HTC One, iPhone 5, BlackBerry Z10 and Q10 that are being advertised as the big phones

Posted via my Q10 SQN100-1
    anon(5624621) likes this.
    06-30-13 02:57 PM
    It's difficult to say what is the solution. If bbry sold more phones then the apps would come but to sell more phones, the company needs more of the top apps.

I of the opinion bbry needs to give away more phones to influential people (no not celebraties) but that segment of the population that are the "look at me, I post stuff on Facebook and Twitter" crowd. The company does not have to "give away" the phone just offer a meaningful credit on BlackBerry World.
    Yeah because if I saw some influential person texting from a phone and then bought it because of that (which I wouldn't) and my calendar didn't sync, the mapping app sucked, and the phone had a bunch of small bugs, I wouldn't return it. <sarcasm> LOL!
    06-30-13 02:59 PM
    Yep this is what BlackBerry needs. Just apps. Read any review that is the only negative thing I hear.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 03:08 PM
    I recently read the first quarter earnings form BBRY, and to others and the media outlet, the great blackberry is still struggling. As a BB loyalist and lover, I think BB is not struggling at all but its just picking up speed. However, "Gigaom" reports that
    " At least that many Google Android devices are activated in two days.
    Apple sold 5 million iPhone 5 handsets during the first weekend of availability.
    In the first quarter of this year, Nokia sold 5.6 million Lumias running Microsoft Windows Phone, which is twice as many BlackBerry 10 devices sold." BlackBerry 10 handset sales last quarter just half that of Nokia’s Lumia — Tech News and Analysis.

This is not surprising, because the reason all these phones above or smartphone companies sold more phones were due to the availability of TOP TRENDING SOCIAL APPS . In this smartphone era, APPS are the real determinant of the success or failure of a new phone. Similarly smartphones are heavily dominated by high school and college students as well as people within the ages of 30 and 45 years. For example people in this age group will be interested in phones with native apps like instagram, vine, netflix, snapchat and any top trending social app
    because all their colleagues will also be sporting the same apps, which will make posting and communication to be fun.

BBRY is doing a great job, but lt looks like its attention is more focused on the business world than the more social world. BBRY 10 is a great OS, get the trending apps (Instagram, vine, snapchat, netflix and other top social apps) to target the high school and college students and BBRY can change the course of the smartphone game........GET THE APPS
    Well I don't think they will change the game with the apps, but it might get them in the game. Its crazy why apps are still an issue. If they can design a phone why cant they have their own team working on apps? Is that not allowed or do they have to have other developers handling the apps?
    angieberry10 likes this.
    06-30-13 04:38 PM
    Yeah because if I saw some influential person texting from a phone and then bought it because of that (which I wouldn't) and my calendar didn't sync, the mapping app sucked, and the phone had a bunch of small bugs, I wouldn't return it. <sarcasm> LOL!
    It doesn't matter if its a video game or a piece of hardware. No release goes off without a hitch. It may take BBRY some time to get things smoothed out but they are doing it. Name a phone where the map app doesn't suck. Iphone 5 the dot for the longest time wouldn't even orient so i had no idea which way to go. On android the map app sucked because it just kept crashing all the time or just wouldn't work period. Name a phone that doesn't have a bunch of small bugs (Iphone 5, android, WP they all have em). These issues are minor and are not permanent but people are too impatient to wait and to needy to accept a phone for all its good. Bugs can be good believe it or not. Do i want bugs? no but bugs show a company what not to do and where they need to improve. Android, Iphone, WP all have their bugs hence why android comes out with a new os every 6 months(exageration) Iphone every year or so and same for WP. If everything was perfect why would anybody try to advance in anything that they do . Perfection causes stagnation and I hate when things become stagnant
    06-30-13 06:17 PM
    It doesn't matter if its a video game or a piece of hardware. No release goes off without a hitch. It may take BBRY some time to get things smoothed out but they are doing it. Name a phone where the map app doesn't suck. Iphone 5 the dot for the longest time wouldn't even orient so i had no idea which way to go. On android the map app sucked because it just kept crashing all the time or just wouldn't work period. Name a phone that doesn't have a bunch of small bugs (Iphone 5, android, WP they all have em). These issues are minor and are not permanent but people are too impatient to wait and to needy to accept a phone for all its good. Bugs can be good believe it or not. Do i want bugs? no but bugs show a company what not to do and where they need to improve. Android, Iphone, WP all have their bugs hence why android comes out with a new os every 6 months(exageration) Iphone every year or so and same for WP. If everything was perfect why would anybody try to advance in anything that they do . Perfection causes stagnation and I hate when things become stagnant
    My iPhone has a Garmin app and Google Maps. That is great mapping solutions. One for online and one for offline. Google Maps is about as good as it gets though.

As for BBRY taking time to iron things out...They should have started 6 years ago. They didn't. They should have released the Q10 and Z10 3 years ago. They didn't. They delayed the release because they wanted it to be perfect. It was even further delayed to the US market (where they really need to make a comeback). It is far from perfect. Bugs are not good.

I returned the device, along with many others, because there were too many bugs. The bugs were not small. Duplicating contact entries, lack of calendar sync, no excellent mapping solution, etc. These are major issues.

It would be okay if BBRY was a startup but they aren't. This is inexcusable. It is why they have such a horrible reputation. It is why when I had my Q10 and showed it to people and they said, "Oh a Blackberry? You couldn't pay me to go back to that." Or when I returned it the guy at the store said, "Another Blackberry return? I wouldn't have even sold it to you."

All I know is that BBRY has a long road back and that is IF they make it.

It is sad too because I would actually like to see them succeed but they seem to want to fail at this point.

If I were Heins I would be at Google tomorrow morning with a briefcase full of cash to make Google Maps work on the device. That would be a start.

Also in regards to stagnant items...it doesn't get more stagnant than Docs to Go. Same app now for 10 years. Really sad. Can't even natively make a PowerPoint doc or insert a picture in Word doc. BBRY is telling their customers to go back to Apple. At least Apple's iWork solution is advanced and polished.
    Last edited by Caymancroc; 06-30-13 at 08:46 PM.
    06-30-13 08:19 PM
    Would a million bucks buy you a mainstream app? I mean if BB offered say instagram a million to develop an app for the BB10 platform would that be reasonable? If so couldn't Alec use say 250 million of the 3.2 billion and buy 250 mainstream popular games and apps for the platofrm? The 3.2 bn is just sitting around just collecting interes anyway. I mean I'm simplifying it but they would get a lot more return fot their money if they just spent some of it to make the platform .. well .. more relevant.
    J_R_TheMotorMan likes this.
    06-30-13 08:45 PM
    Would a million bucks buy you a mainstream app? I mean if BB offered say instagram a million to develop an app for the BB10 platform would that be reasonable? If so couldn't Alec use say 250 million of the 3.2 billion and buy 250 mainstream popular games and apps for the platofrm? The 3.2 bn is just sitting around just collecting interes anyway. I mean I'm simplifying it but they would get a lot more return fot their money if they just spent some of it to make the platform .. well .. more relevant.
    EXACTLY!!!!!!!! They need every mainstream app and then grab a few that no one has and that way, they can begin to have a real leg to stand on. Their only fault is a weak app catalog. All current mainstream apps and exclusive BlackBerry only apps that work in real time.
    07-01-13 02:03 AM
    I agree. We need more top trending apps. I was on the fence deciding to buy this phone mainly due to the lack of spotify but I still went with it for the keyboard. I feel a lot more people would jump on board if they weren't losing too many of their favorite apps in the process.

Posted via my sexy Q10
    07-01-13 02:39 AM
    My iPhone has a Garmin app and Google Maps. That is great mapping solutions. One for online and one for offline. Google Maps is about as good as it gets though.

As for BBRY taking time to iron things out...They should have started 6 years ago. They didn't. They should have released the Q10 and Z10 3 years ago. They didn't. They delayed the release because they wanted it to be perfect. It was even further delayed to the US market (where they really need to make a comeback). It is far from perfect. Bugs are not good.

I returned the device, along with many others, because there were too many bugs. The bugs were not small. Duplicating contact entries, lack of calendar sync, no excellent mapping solution, etc. These are major issues.

It would be okay if BBRY was a startup but they aren't. This is inexcusable. It is why they have such a horrible reputation. It is why when I had my Q10 and showed it to people and they said, "Oh a Blackberry? You couldn't pay me to go back to that." Or when I returned it the guy at the store said, "Another Blackberry return? I wouldn't have even sold it to you."

All I know is that BBRY has a long road back and that is IF they make it.

It is sad too because I would actually like to see them succeed but they seem to want to fail at this point.

If I were Heins I would be at Google tomorrow morning with a briefcase full of cash to make Google Maps work on the device. That would be a start.

Also in regards to stagnant items...it doesn't get more stagnant than Docs to Go. Same app now for 10 years. Really sad. Can't even natively make a PowerPoint doc or insert a picture in Word doc. BBRY is telling their customers to go back to Apple. At least Apple's iWork solution is advanced and polished.
    I get where you are coming from and I agree with a lot of it. The problems you were having with bugs has me curious. I am wondering if when you had the phone, did you try "reformatting" it (don't know what the kids call it these days) or installing one of the "leaked" os?. If so did it do anything at all?. BBRY in one sense is not a startup company but in another they kinda are. BB10 OS is something completely new for them and and so with the creation of OS 10 they are starting over from scratch. BB10 OS could still turn out great. It could give them an opportunity to re-brand themselves. I feel tho that before they ever released this phone they certainly should have had the top most social trending apps available in BBRY world..THAT would of helped tremendously, if nothing else it would give people a reason to put up with a few bugs and give them something to do while they wait for it to be fixed.

Everything else you said i agree with.

In response to guinnkevinr: Spotify is the only app I use really. That and a guitar tuner app. So the lack of spotify was a bit of a harsh reality for me but the qwerty keyboard more then makes up for it.

Not sure if any of this made any sense as im half asleep typing it
    07-01-13 03:21 AM
    What happens when the trends change?
    07-01-13 03:28 AM
    I agree 100% with the OP, apps are key and I'm talking about native apps not rubbish android ports.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-13 03:53 AM
    According to this article BlackBerry has already offered to pay developers for apps before the BB10 devices were even released. What more can they do?

$4 million to be paid out by BlackBerry to developers participating in Port-A-Thon
    07-01-13 04:21 AM
    According to this article BlackBerry has already offered to pay developers for apps before the BB10 devices were even released. What more can they do?

$4 million to be paid out by BlackBerry to developers participating in Port-A-Thon
    Then it's not enough. I'm talking for the mainstream Apps. BB will need to up the ante and fast!
    07-01-13 06:02 AM
    Then it's not enough. I'm talking for the mainstream Apps. BB will need to up the ante and fast!
    The problem is you probably can not buy the mainstream apps off. What number is Facebook looking for to build Instagram for BB10? It is not like it is my app I developed and $1-$5 million would be a nice pay day. Facebook et al, want user data. Have users they will build, until then we will not see robust Google, Facebook, etc building for BB10.
    07-01-13 09:02 AM
    The problem is you probably can not buy the mainstream apps off. What number is Facebook looking for to build Instagram for BB10? It is not like it is my app I developed and $1-$5 million would be a nice pay day. Facebook et al, want user data. Have users they will build, until then we will not see robust Google, Facebook, etc building for BB10.
    Its a vicious cycle. We need apps but developers want to see high user percentages, we cant have high percentages unless we get more apps. Sometimes I wish people could just be nice and do something because they believe in it lol.

I don't think it would take that much time to bring any of these social apps over to BBR OS. I think the amount of money these people could make is still worth it since they would certainly be making a profit off it. Maybe I am just strange or maybe its just because I don't view apps as my primary source of income but if it were me I would build apps for BBRY as I just want to see them succeed.
    07-01-13 01:43 PM