Hi there,

I've just sold my S3 and now I'd like to get myself a Q10 since it seems to be perfectly suited for me hardware wise.

I'm not quite sure about the Apps, though. I'm not that much of an app guy but few things I absolutely need. Maybe you can tell me if the Q10 can do this.

1.) google maps turn by turn-navigation plus pedestrian-, bus-/metro- and bike-routes
    2.) reliable GPS in general
    3.) jogging app, tracking the distance, time, etc.
    4.) an LED which informs me of missed messages and calls when the display is off..

Matter of fact, that's about it.
    Would be great if you guys could help me
    Thanks a lot
    02-07-14 06:46 AM
    1.) yes, and also BlackBerry maps which is decent for navigation
    2.) yes, GPS is spot on
    3.) yes, plethora of apps, mate you can load android apps on the latest OS so no issues there
    4.) yes, the LED is gun (I think BlackBerry were the first to have this?)

It's an amazing phone. I have always been a BlackBerry user. Tried the S2 a few years back, and then after a week got rid of it and bought a Bold 9900. Using the Q10 now and couldn't be happier.

SQN100-3; 10.2.1.1925
    02-07-14 06:54 AM
    Hi there,

I've just sold my S3 and now I'd like to get myself a Q10 since it seems to be perfectly suited for me hardware wise.

I'm not quite sure about the Apps, though. I'm not that much of an app guy but few things I absolutely need. Maybe you can tell me if the Q10 can do this.

1.) google maps turn by turn-navigation plus pedestrian-, bus-/metro- and bike-routes
    4.) an LED which informs me of missed messages and calls when the display is off..

Thanks a lot
    1) I don't use Google maps anymore, just use blackberry maps without any issues
    2) I've had no issues with gps using blackberry maps
    3) I use runtastic pro, tracks distance, time and plenty of other options.
    4) it does, and you can get further customization of the led with apps such as hub++ or colorid

Posted via CB10
    02-07-14 06:56 AM
    Hi there,

Thanks a lot
    1. Sideload google map or purchase BeMaps pro which is using google maps as a source

2 it has GPS if thats what you ask and very quick way better then android

3 I use Casca Run which is native BlackBerry app and it has everything you ask

4 LED is trademark of BlackBerry you should know that

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    02-07-14 07:00 AM
    Everything is a Yes except the part where you would like to have the pedestrian and bus routes with your maps

It is my understanding that BlackBerry Maps does not currently have this feature but there are apps you can find that do depending on where you live

Posted via CB10
    02-07-14 07:02 AM
    Everything is a Yes except the part where you would like to have the pedestrian and bus routes with your maps

It is my understanding that BlackBerry Maps does not currently have this feature but there are apps you can find that do depending on where you live

Posted via CB10
    Google maps does
    02-07-14 07:14 AM

Posted via CB10
    I downloaded Google Maps using Snap so yes, those options are available

Posted via CB10
    02-07-14 07:16 AM
    mate you can load android apps on the latest OS so no issues there
    I can load any Android Apps and they work fine?
    How about local APKs? Can they be installed aswell?
    02-07-14 07:24 AM
    I can load any Android Apps and they work fine?
    How about local APKs? Can they be installed aswell?

I'm running quite a fee apks with no issue, if there's a specific app you like to know, we can let you know / I can always test it on my q10

Posted via CB10
    02-07-14 07:29 AM

Posted via CB10
    BeMaps Pro does. I actually stopped using Google Maps entirely. I was pretty surprised

Posted with my Q10!
    02-07-14 07:43 AM
    This sounds pretty nice. If you don't mind I might give you a list of my Android Apps (hasn't changed in two years) to test.

Still, the part with the local apps, say from email, interests me. Is it able to install these, aswell? Or only those from the Appstore. Maybe you know.

I'm running quite a fee apks with no issue, if there's a specific app you like to know, we can let you know / I can always test it on my q10

Posted via CB10
    02-07-14 07:56 AM
    This sounds pretty nice. If you don't mind I might give you a list of my Android Apps (hasn't changed in two years) to test.

Still, the part with the local apps, say from email, interests me. Is it able to install these, aswell? Or only those from the Appstore. Maybe you know.
    Post the list of your andriod apps, i'm sure most are already used by other members of the forum and will chime in, and we can test any that haven't been used yet.

In terms of installing an apk from an email which isn't in an app store... I personally don't know if it would work or not, my only experience with apk's comes from downloading them online, or through an app gateway store like snap.
    02-07-14 08:49 AM

In terms of installing an apk from an email which isn't in an app store... I personally don't know if it would work or not, my only experience with apk's comes from downloading them online, or through an app gateway store like snap.
    The BB10 file manager recognizes .apk files. If you click on one, even in an attachment the OS will try to install it. I keep all my favourites in a local directory and can install them again or go back to a previous version at any time.
    02-07-14 09:40 AM
    Yup you can install local apks, as the poster above said. List your apps, and we'll let you know

Oh and when you get the Q10 come back so we can help you get "Snap" on your phone, it's an app that gives you direct access to gplay to download the apps

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    02-07-14 09:54 AM
    You can install almost all android apps except few which requires google play service :y

But I have a bug in latest os. When I install any android app my permission for other apps dissepears

Posted via CB10
    02-07-14 10:41 AM
    The BB10 file manager recognizes .apk files. If you click on one, even in an attachment the OS will try to install it. I keep all my favourites in a local directory and can install them again or go back to a previous version at any time.
    Yea, I don't know why, but when I was reading his question, I was thinking of a personally made apk, or made by a friend, which i'm sure would install, but may not work..... reading comprehension fail haha
    02-07-14 10:48 AM
    There have been some posts about problems with Android apps on the Q10 because it has screen dimensions that is not common in the Android world. The apps run but can be hard to use because part of the image is not there or needs to scrolled. I don't have a Q10 so I can't check this but please be aware of that potential issue. As several kind members have volunteered to check the apps you use, I'm sure they will report any problems.

I use a Z30 and my lady uses a Z10. We have had no problems installing and running Android apps.
    02-07-14 10:59 AM
    Hi! I just bought a Q10 and I'm in love with it. I think I can answer your questions.
    First off, you should definitely upgrade to 10.2.1.1925. It runs android apps quite well and installs it right on the device from the apk file! You can even download Snap, a google play client! I love it! Also, the keyboard just feels natural. You will feel settled in after 5 minutes of use! Lastly, AMAZING battery life. like so far, I've been getting more than 16 hours of battery life on this thing. I can see on the graph on the settings too that's it's consistently like that. I think it's even getting better every day since I just got this on Tuesday! (No, I'm not new to BB10. I have a Z10 too)

Okay, so as for your questions:

1. I installed Google Maps from Snap, that Google Play client. It's up to date and all of those things you want are on it. Makes public transportation use fun! The only thing is it won't let you log onto your Google account because of the BlackBerry not having Google Accounts. But other than that, it works well! I wouldn't want Google to know my whereabouts anyway haha. If you really don't want that Android stuff, you can download BeMaps Pro ("Built for BlackBerry" certified) and it will still use Google maps.

2. It does in fact have very reliable GPS. GLONASS too btdubs. Definitely not at all like the Droid, the G1, Lumia or the iPhone. (Those are the only ones I've personally owned/used) Like I said, you can use Google Maps Navigation, but I actually love BlackBerry Maps for driving directions! It's also very respectful, in my opinion. Like it warns you well ahead of time, doesn't yell, and isn't rude when you miss a turn haha (I use it in French though, so it might be rude in English) Btdubs, I've never compared my Q10's maps side-by-side with another phone's maps navigation, but I did do that with my friend's iPhone 4S on my Z10. We got lost with both her iPhone's Apple Maps AND Google Maps in the middle of the Santa Monica mountains and the little moving car thing on the nav screen kept switching places!!!! And my Z10's BlackBerry Maps saved our asses from going off a cliff along Topanga Canyon Boulevard. (If you live in LA, I should emphasise that by the time I turned on my Z10, we had to take topanga canyon because that iPhone took us to Pacific Palisades when in fact all we wanted was to take Sepulveda and avoid the 405 just to get to San Fernando Valley. DO NOT USE AN IPHONE FOR DRIVING DIRECTIONS)

3. So I don't run. haha But I went to BlackBerry World and found an app that looks like it has what you want. It's called Sportrate Fitness Tracker. It's FREE, has 4.5 stars, and has the "Built for BlackBerry" certification, which means it's a high quality app. There are a few paid apps but that one looks best to me because it's free and has a lot of stars. haha as well, I'm sure you can use your favourite running tracking app that you used on your Galaxy SIII by downloading it from Snap.

4. The LED thing is definitely on the Q10, and I think it has been since the old BlackBerry smartphones running Java-based OS. I've owned the 8700c, 8300, 8310, 8320, 9700, 9800, 9900, and the Z10 and they've all had the Red LED notification thing. Btdubs, I think the Red LED light is even stronger on my Q10 than any of my previous devices! I actually love it! You can turn the LED notification off depending on the app that is alerting you on the notifications settings menu. Also, you can download apps that can CHANGE THE COLOURS of those notifications. Even with different strobe lighting settings, depending on the person calling/messaging you, depending on the app, etc.

I hope I have sufficiently answered your questions. I made sure to bold the important stuff because I got a little chatty. haha I'm just in love with my new Q10!
    02-07-14 10:13 PM
    There have been some posts about problems with Android apps on the Q10 because it has screen dimensions that is not common in the Android world. The apps run but can be hard to use because part of the image is not there or needs to scrolled. I don't have a Q10 so I can't check this but please be aware of that potential issue. As several kind members have volunteered to check the apps you use, I'm sure they will report any problems.

I use a Z30 and my lady uses a Z10. We have had no problems installing and running Android apps.
    I think there is some truth to this but the only one I've really had a problem with is instagram and vine, because of the edge to edge square thing on the apps. everything else does fine. Also, I downloaded iGrann and Whine to fix that problem. Those two auto hide the action bar. I still take pics and videos on Instagram and Vine for Android though. Works great!
    02-07-14 10:19 PM