Hi, we are going to Greece and looked into downloading a satnav map for our satnav to use over there but wondered if there was anything we could use on my phone instead that would read out driving instructions if we put in postcodes. Or would that cost if it was used over there via wi-fi?

Thanks
    08-16-13 05:22 AM
    If you have access to an android handset or maybe tablet Co pilot live works really well. Used it extensively for the past month on the island of Rhodes. Map was downloaded before we left.

Google maps was also ok but data roaming charges would apply.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    08-16-13 05:31 AM
    Thanks I have traded in my old handsets, we have a microsoft tablet thing, I have seen a card you can buy for our satnav to get the maps on it but its �35 so wondered if there was a cheaper option
    08-16-13 05:43 AM
    I just found this: If you've a smartphone with GPS such as an iPhone, here's a nifty way to turn it into a sat nav abroad, with local maps, for free - without using up any pricey data overseas. It isn't a fully-fledged system like paid sat navs, but it's handy if it's for a one-off trip.
    [overseas travel tips]

Launched in 2010, Navfree is a free app for iPhone and Android. It turns a GPS smartphone into a sat nav, with pre-loaded maps, route planning and voice prompts.

The big boon here is that once you've downloaded it to your phone, it doesn't need any internet data to find routes, search or access its maps via GPS (unlike similar apps, eg, Google Maps), as these are stored offline in your phone.

It also has optional paid premium content including voice prompts by Wallace and Gromit or Snoop Dogg, traffic updates and more.

By contrast, paid sat nav app TomTom Europe is over �60 on iTunes at the time of writing. Though it doesn't have the same bells and whistles, it's still a big saving.

Will ask my OH if it would work on his iphone
    08-16-13 05:49 AM
    There is an App called Mireo Don't Panic and it allows you to get the maps for the region you are travelling and save them to the SD card. It is not a free App and the maps are not free, but it works well.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 06:15 AM
    Note that Mireo Don't Panic is free for a 7 days trial. This may be handy if you stay a week...
    08-16-13 06:19 AM