As a Z10 user, I was quite excited to try out a real Q10 in our mobile demo store at our company, a few relatively showstopper issues:

1. There is simply NOT ENOUGH space for swipe-up to close, change apps. This is very very annoying. Coming from Z10, the way this work on Q10 is awkward, and poorly implemented. They should have move the Blackberry logo to the bottom (like Z10) to create more space. This is an absolute miss by BB in their design
    2. Keyboard was not that good. I used to have 9900, and I can easily say that 9900 keyboard was noticeably better. There is just too much space between keys and the frets are too thick and makes typing not that great
    3. Screen is simply too small! Yes, it's large vs. old BBs, but after using Z10 for a couple of months I cannot even think of going this small
    4. BB10 is built for full-touch. I really think BB10 OS must be adjusted to accommodate Q10, everything I wanted to do was slower on Q10, swiping away, going to the hub, switching apps, etc... maybe the extra space for swipe could have made this work, but as-is, the OS simply not that great on Q10
    5. Screen was very artificial looking, AMOLED uses less power yes, but I think Z10 screen is nicer overall
    6. I soooo missed the trackball
    7. The material just didn't feel as great as 9900, or even Z10. I know it's kind of Carbon Fiber, but it felt not that great.

At this point, I am going to advise my GF not to get the Q10 (she's been waiting for one). Either wait, or go with Z10 (as much as she loves a keyboard). I am sure they will fix some of the above in the next iteration, but honestly the screen-size is a killer, it's very very difficult to find a compromise screen size + keyboard, but they should have somehow created a 4:3 aspect ratio and elongated the screen.

Anyone else has noticed the same as above?

PS. I just looked at Q5, I think they addressed #1 issue in Q5! The Blackberry logo is at the bottom giving you more room to swipe. This is just an obvious miss in Q10!
    1. IMO, there is just enough space to perfectly use the phone with one hand. If the screen was longer, my thumb would never reach the top of the display to tap an active frame.

2. I too found the keyboard painful to use the first days. Again, it is designed to allow an easier one-handed experience than the 9900 and after a bit of text editing, I think you will change your mind.

3. The screen is small, but the icons are bigs (even too much for my taste) and you can customize the fonts. Don't know about your situation, but I'm a student in vacation with a part-time only job, so I have a lot of free time and I don't spend much of it watching videos or playing games which requires a bigger screen. It's a question, I don't wanna be rude, but I guess you have a job, so why do you need a 4.2 inches screen on the go ?

4-5-6. We clearly don't have the same hands/fingers/eyes.

7. I owned both black and white bold 9900, hated the back of the white (love the rest of the hardware), found the black sexy and the Q10 gorgeous in real vs the horrible leaked pictures.

You judged a device you don't own after a brief (I guess...) hands on, then allow me to do the same about the Z10 : it's a good phone, but far from the best of its category (all touch). Not truly a BlackBerry, too big and not polish enough to compete with an Iphone, not fancy enough or customizable to stand beside an android... I always thought this handset was a kind of *******, a wannabe all-in 1 device who doesn't achieve anything better than others, doesn't fit in any specific niche...

See ? According to the feedbacks of satisfied Z10's owners, it is clearly far better than it seems after a few minutes in hands, but it's sincerely what I think of this phone.... Think about it.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-13 01:27 AM
    Sounds like you have buyers remorse and you trying to justify your z10 purchase which probably was an impulse buy.

Posted via CB10
    Spot on! I don't like to judge people about their thoughts, but it honestly seems like you have remorse for jumping the gun. Like you are comparing the Q10 with only a handful of uses to your old phone and the Z10....you were already use to your 9900, so of course the Q will take some getting use to. And screen size, duh, it has a keyboard, what did you expect? It isn't like they lied and said the keyboard is see through.

You can't compare it to the 9900 and the Z at the same time, about different things. Why not say, wow it beats the 9900 in screen size, and it the Z in battery life?
    06-04-13 01:28 AM
    ahaha

i dissagree on all of your points
    06-04-13 01:33 AM
    Naahhhh, letting your girlfriend think for herself? That's weak-sauce! As a boyfriend, you should try to control as many aspects of your girlfriend's life as possible!!! You can't let girls make their own decisions, that's crazy talk... ;-)
    Or listen to Tom Leykis. No need for a gf
    06-04-13 02:18 AM
    well i cannot tell you what to advise your girlfriend, but maybe if you didn't own a Z10 for several months now, you'd probably had no issues with the Q10, so instead of advising her not to get a phone YOU didn't like, try to get her to play and test a Q10 before she buys it, maybe she wont have the same issues that you have.

P.S. i think bigger keys and more space is an advantage, not a disadvantage.
    06-04-13 02:35 AM
    Really? It is at times like this I wish we could give thumbs down to such a superficial review.
    Really? Superficial? You fanboy?

I'm a die-hard BB fan, these are all very legitimate issues for many, you like to ignore them as you think the tradeoff is worth it, good for you. For me, there are design flaws that needs to be addressed and actually Q5 addressed the lack of enough area for swiping.

Even the Crackberry review of Q10 has mentioned the swipe-up issue as one of the main issues. So, you can shut it now!
    06-04-13 02:39 AM
    I kind of love how he says the OS is made for full touch, then the 2nd point he makes right after saying that is how he misses the trackball... *scratches head*
    I kind of love how dumb you sound!

Mr. smarty pants, the trackpad is missed on the phycial keyboard layout, when using it with keyboard, like 9900 as main device for 2yrs, you search for the trackpad to do things... this is totally valid and has been mentioned even in Crackberry reviews.
    06-04-13 02:41 AM
    1. IMO, there is just enough space to perfectly use the phone with one hand. If the screen was longer, my thumb would never reach the top of the display to tap an active frame.

2. I too found the keyboard painful to use the first days. Again, it is designed to allow an easier one-handed experience than the 9900 and after a bit of text editing, I think you will change your mind.

3. The screen is small, but the icons are bigs (even too much for my taste) and you can customize the fonts. Don't know about your situation, but I'm a student in vacation with a part-time only job, so I have a lot of free time and I don't spend much of it watching videos or playing games which requires a bigger screen. It's a question, I don't wanna be rude, but I guess you have a job, so why do you need a 4.2 inches screen on the go ?

4-5-6. We clearly don't have the same hands/fingers/eyes.

7. I owned both black and white bold 9900, hated the back of the white (love the rest of the hardware), found the black sexy and the Q10 gorgeous in real vs the horrible leaked pictures.

You judged a device you don't own after a brief (I guess...) hands on, then allow me to do the same about the Z10 : it's a good phone, but far from the best of its category (all touch). Not truly a BlackBerry, too big and not polish enough to compete with an Iphone, not fancy enough or customizable to stand beside an android... I always thought this handset was a kind of *******, a wannabe all-in 1 device who doesn't achieve anything better than others, doesn't fit in any specific niche...

See ? According to the feedbacks of satisfied Z10's owners, it is clearly far better than it seems after a few minutes in hands, but it's sincerely what I think of this phone.... Think about it.

Posted via CB10
    I take your point that it is hard to judge a phone after a short time. But, I totally loved Z10 within the first hour of use, and I played with a functioning Q10 at work, not a display model and I used it like I'd use my Z10, and those are my gripes. A lot of the items are totally personal, obviously folks use their phones differently, but there are some fundamental misses:

- Swipe-up area too small (Q5 addresses this)
    - Keyboard is just not as good as 9900
    - Screen is too small
    - BB10 is built first as touch-only OS and built for 16:9 aspect ratio

We all agree that any phone with keyboard has to compromise on some areas, and Q10 has that phycial limitation, albeit by far the best physical keyboard phone you can get... I am just not so sure if the drawback outweigh the benefits.
    06-04-13 02:46 AM
    Spot on! I don't like to judge people about their thoughts, but it honestly seems like you have remorse for jumping the gun. Like you are comparing the Q10 with only a handful of uses to your old phone and the Z10....you were already use to your 9900, so of course the Q will take some getting use to. And screen size, duh, it has a keyboard, what did you expect? It isn't like they lied and said the keyboard is see through.

You can't compare it to the 9900 and the Z at the same time, about different things. Why not say, wow it beats the 9900 in screen size, and it the Z in battery life?
    Actually, exactly the opposite.

I first got the Z10 as I just couldn't function on my 9900, but after suffering from some auto-correct pains, I was wondering if I should have waited for Q10... and after today, I am 100% convinced I made the right choice. I simply cannot go back on screen size, and prefer that to having a physical keyboard.
    06-04-13 02:48 AM
    well i cannot tell you what to advise your girlfriend, but maybe if you didn't own a Z10 for several months now, you'd probably had no issues with the Q10, so instead of advising her not to get a phone YOU didn't like, try to get her to play and test a Q10 before she buys it, maybe she wont have the same issues that you have.

P.S. i think bigger keys and more space is an advantage, not a disadvantage.
    Maybe I should ask her to try one out herself... As a Z10 user, Q10 has those shortcomings.

In terms of keyboard, maybe you'd get used to it..
    06-04-13 02:53 AM
    OP must be too unco to get the swipe working lol
    06-04-13 03:55 AM
    I would actually think that the Z10 is BlackBerry's way of blending in to the world of full touch screen mobile phones (which I honestly think is unnecessary).

I had problems with the swiping-up initially but it was no issue at all after just half a day of exploring the phone.

I'll admit I miss the trackpad for certain functionalities but I'm adapting quite well and I really don't see why it deserves to be compared to the Z10 so much since a Z10 is the least alike to most of the previous BlackBerry phones.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-13 04:07 AM
    Pretty much what shadowofdawn said.

I haven't found a good enough reason to carry my Z10 with me when out. I do use it for YouTube when I'm home though.

My Z10 feels small after using a PlayBook so a Q10 screen will feel small after using a Z10.
    06-04-13 06:26 AM
    LOL - thought I was the only one who did.
    06-04-13 07:04 AM
    Naahhhh, letting your girlfriend think for herself? That's weak-sauce! As a boyfriend, you should try to control as many aspects of your girlfriend's life as possible!!! You can't let girls make their own decisions, that's crazy talk... ;-)
    ROFL...
    Touch

Posted via CB10
    06-04-13 07:50 AM
    LOL, I had to look up who that was. :-P

I was being sarcastic with my statement about controlling your girlfriend though, just in case it wasn't clear. I know sarcasm is easily lost on the internet.
    06-04-13 12:25 PM
    My Z10 feels small after using a PlayBook so a Q10 screen will feel small after using a Z10.
    Lol. that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, *Z10 feels smaller after using Playbook", so I guess Playbook feels smaller after watching TV? LOL! Do you carry your playbook in your pocket and make phone calls with it?
    06-04-13 12:28 PM
    LOL - thought I was the only one who did.
    I do every day
    06-04-13 12:28 PM
    LOL, I had to look up who that was. :-P

I was being sarcastic with my statement about controlling your girlfriend though, just in case it wasn't clear. I know sarcasm is easily lost on the internet.
    Ohh he doesn't talk about controlling. He just says no point in having a gf. Listen on Thursday to Leykis 101. It's online and in the tunein app. I don't agree with everything but its hilarious to listen to.
    06-04-13 12:30 PM
    So, T-Mobile will have the Q10 in stores tomorrow. I just went to one today and they didn't have the display set up yet, the guy brought out one for me to try, and I have to say, OP is out of his mind, that keyboard is freakin' amazing... It's... FAMAZING... :-D

And the back is completely rubberized, so it's not at all slippery, which was one of my concerns as well. And damn does it feel solid. Feels like it's made out of a solid block of rubberized aluminum, lol.
    06-04-13 01:17 PM
45 12