So I couldnt bear to wait anymore for the Q10 on AT&T so I decided to go with a brand new in box Q10 T-Mobile via ebay trusted seller. I received the unit yesterday and purchased an unlock service off of ebay right as soon as I had the IMEI. I've unlocked devices before and thought this would be a quick thing. As of this morning 24 hours later I messaged the service asking how much longer it would be, he said it usually doesnt take this long and he will check on it. Come to find out, the guy said to me" "its not going to work on that IMEI"

Anyone have any idea as to why? Now i'm stuck with this $600 Tmobile phone with no T-Mobile service...

Any ideas on what else I can try, or shall I try another provider to unlock?

Appreciate any guidance here guys.
    06-04-13 03:13 PM
    So I couldnt bear to wait anymore for the Q10 on AT&T so I decided to go with a brand new in box Q10 T-Mobile via ebay trusted seller. I received the unit yesterday and purchased an unlock service off of ebay right as soon as I had the IMEI. I've unlocked devices before and thought this would be a quick thing. As of this morning 24 hours later I messaged the service asking how much longer it would be, he said it usually doesnt take this long and he will check on it. Come to find out, the guy said to me" "its not going to work on that IMEI"

Anyone have any idea as to why? Now i'm stuck with this $600 Tmobile phone with no T-Mobile service...

Any ideas on what else I can try, or shall I try another provider to unlock?

Appreciate any guidance here guys.
    Definitely try to get your money back from that service!! Did you pay the full $600 outright to T-Mo? If so, I *think* they will provide you with an unlock code, since the device is fully yours and you don't owe anything on it and you're not on a contract with them. If not, check out the pay it forward thread in the marketplace here. Say you're looking for an unlock code, and someone should come to your rescue .
    06-04-13 03:58 PM
    Hmmm wow. Ask the unlockers what they mean by "not going to work on this IMEI," and possibly get your money back from them, if it's some cockamamie story. Try other third party unlockers then, if you're willing.

If third party unlocking doesn't work, find someone who's an existing T-Mobile customer for at least 60 days, and nicely ask them to put their micro SIM in your phone, call 611 and request the unlock code. You won't have it immediately though, I think it takes 2-3 business days. In the interest of full disclosure, let the nice T-Mobile customer know that TMO's policy allows only 2 unlock requests per calendar year, and they won't be able to request another unlock code for another 90 days.
    06-04-13 04:01 PM
    Definitely try to get your money back from that service!! Did you pay the full $600 outright to T-Mo? If so, I *think* they will provide you with an unlock code, since the device is fully yours and you don't owe anything on it and you're not on a contract with them. If not, check out the pay it forward thread in the marketplace here. Say you're looking for an unlock code, and someone should come to your rescue .

Nope...they don't provide you with the code if you buy outright. You have to get service through them for 40-60 days, depending on type of service (prepaid vs. postpaid.) See here.

Quite a sad policy, IMO. And if I ever am in a situation where I buy a phone at full price and have to pay extra to unlock it, I'm sending a copy of the bill to the LoC. Seriously.
    06-04-13 04:03 PM
    06-04-13 04:14 PM
    Don't use CrackBerry Unlocking. It is WAY overpriced.

~STV
    jrdba likes this.
    06-04-13 04:51 PM
    Nope...they don't provide you with the code if you buy outright. You have to get service through them for 40-60 days, depending on type of service (prepaid vs. postpaid.) See here.

Quite a sad policy, IMO. And if I ever am in a situation where I buy a phone at full price and have to pay extra to unlock it, I'm sending a copy of the bill to the LoC. Seriously.
    Gah!!! That sucks .
    06-04-13 06:00 PM
    T-Mobile will not unlock a device until either: 60 days of post paid service (90 for prepaid) or if the device is paid in full with 40 days of post paid service.
    06-04-13 07:28 PM
    Gah!!! That sucks .
    And you know what the kicker is?? Arguing in favor of the exemption removal, the CTIA (telecom trade association) presented TMO's policy at the time as shining proof that the carriers are making a sufficient effort to provide unlocked phones! Granted TMO's policy was much more lenient then and that TMO wasn't officially a part of the effort to have the exemption removed, the bottomline is that the asinine ruling still stands.
    06-04-13 08:32 PM
    OP says he bought his new phone from an eBay seller not from TMO if I'm reading it right. Will TMO unlock a phone from a 3rd party?

Posted via CB10
    06-04-13 09:10 PM
    OP says he bought his new phone from an eBay seller not from TMO if I'm reading it right. Will TMO unlock a phone from a 3rd party?
    Good question. My local Best Buy, on >1 occasions has said that the "carrier has the unlock code." I took that as "they'll unlock it for you," but given how...sleazy Best Buy has been in my experience, I'm not too sure.

TMO's unlock policy does say something about "TMO authorized dealer," but then also goes on to have a provision for providing the code if the buyer can "provide proof of purchase if T-Mobile is unable to verify purchase." Since both authorized and non-authorized dealers' TMO branded phones's IMEIs should be in TMO's system, I'm leaning towards a yes to your question.
    06-04-13 09:25 PM
    Correct guys, bought the phone off of Ebay, brand new T-Mobile Q10, I'm not sure what to do now... maybe will try another unlocking service or like others have said get prepaid and wait amount of time for unlock code. Thanks for any additional help here.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-13 09:41 PM
    Ouch, $75 at crackberry? Insane, I can do half that price easy. (I have my ebay listing for more than half, $42,to make up for ebay fees. And because it's the meaning of life

__Z10, with bnib FS. Also $15 Blackberry Unlocks $35 Worldwide Q10/Z10 Unlocks available! (and much more)
    06-04-13 09:55 PM
    Correct guys, bought the phone off of Ebay, brand new T-Mobile Q10, I'm not sure what to do now... maybe will try another unlocking service or like others have said get prepaid and wait amount of time for unlock code. Thanks for any additional help here.

Posted via CB10
    Since it's a T-Mobile branded phone they will have the factory unlock code in their data base but since you don't want to go with their service your only choice will be to go with a 3rd party - make sure that you don't go for a software unlock but rather a factory unlock code in which a lot of companies online offer that service.
    Last edited by robert_in_la; 06-04-13 at 10:28 PM.
    06-04-13 10:14 PM
    Ouch, $75 at crackberry?
    That's ridiculous and a total ripoff when many sites are offering factory unlock codes for $35. Guess the guys at CB are looking to fund more road-trips.
    06-04-13 10:17 PM
    LOL CB charges $75? You could get prepaid service from TMO cheaper than that!
    06-04-13 10:23 PM
    75$ is a little steep, come on CB, what's the deal?

Posted via CB10
    06-04-13 10:30 PM
    You have to purchase at full retail price from tmobile directly

Posted via CB10
    06-04-13 11:32 PM
    Switch to tmobile

Posted via CB10
    06-04-13 11:34 PM
    You have to purchase at full retail price from tmobile directly

Posted via CB10
    Not true. I bought my T-Mobile branded Bold 9900 off of Craigslist and although I was an active T-Mobile customer they unlocked it for me.
    Last edited by robert_in_la; 06-04-13 at 11:55 PM.
    06-04-13 11:36 PM
    75$ is a little steep, come on CB, what's the deal?

Posted via CB10
    Well, this site is called crackberry. They know we are addicted and are taking advantage of it....

Somebody from crackberry probably will soon chime in on this thread and say that they charge that much because they guarantee it will work or your money back. My counter argument to that is so does eBay Buyer Protection for the most part...and any seller on eBay that gives you a code that doesn't work and it cannot be resolved would be STUPID not to give you your money back, just don't buy from a very new seller. eBay has been VERY pro-buyer lately so CB Unlocking isn't really giving you as much protection as you think.

And if you don't like ebay there is GSM liberty. They seem ultra legit and offer a money back guarantee if code doesn't work plus price matching service. I emailed their customer service and it is very responsive. Their price is $35-45 so on par with average.

Imo CB Unlocking needs to majorly adjust their prices. Maybe put a PayPal donate option instead of marking up the price of services by a huge margin. I know I'd rather donate to CB to help fund all they do for us rather than have it cause outlandish prices, because it feels insulting to loyal CB fans imo when we read articles that say things like "head to the shop, CB's got you covered," only to find out that means "better cover your rear, about to be price tag shafted."

~STV
    raino, jrdba and robert_in_la like this.
    06-05-13 02:46 AM
    ^^well said
    06-05-13 08:17 AM
    Even 45$ seems steep for other model Q10s, but i would still pay that, but not 75$ for this model.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-13 09:54 AM
    bought my q10 today from tmobile and when i look at sim card settings. service provider says unlocked?
    06-05-13 05:16 PM
    That's ridiculous and a total ripoff when many sites are offering factory unlock codes for $35. Guess the guys at CB are looking to fund more road-trips.
    I'm seeing $10 unlock codes for z10 on ebay and Crackberry charges an absurd $45! Good Lord! Hope people are smart enough to shop around.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-13 05:44 PM
32 12