I see this problem has been plaguing BB users for over a year. Like many others ( eg http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...paypal-856535/) I find it impossible to buy apps for my Q10 on Blackberry World. This email I sent to them on 24th Feb (to which they haven't even bothered to reply) summarises the problem and offers a potential solution.

***************Email to BBWorld*****************
    I don't allow any online service to store my debit card details, so the only means of payment I can use for scenarios like Blackberry World is Paypal.

You offer this option but, as you must be aware, it doesn't work if your paypal account is set up for 2FA (where Paypal texts a 6 digit pin to your mobile to confirm the transaction)

The only way we can use Paypal is to disable 2FA, which is ludicrous when the vast majority of my remote purchases are through websites where 2FA is about the best protection available.

This, obviously, is not something you can fix in the Blackberry environment but two questions arise and one offers a possible solution.

The first question, given that Paypal doesn't enable 2FA for transactions on the registered mobile, is why does your payment form come up (when attempting to set up Paypal as the payment method) with the message to add the security key to the end to of the Paypal password? As the security key cannot be received by the mobile, there is no possibility of complying with that instruction.

The second question offers a potential solution. Why can't I buy it through a standard computer browser?

I am more than happy to pay for my Blackberry World purchases on your website through my computer browser. I tried to do that yesterday, only to find that you immediately redirect such attempts to the mobile platform - thus blocking my attempt to buy from you.

This is unnecessary. All you should need to to is provide a similar "security key" (eg a 6 digit one time PIN) which can be issued on successful purchase and then entered into the mobile when we try to download the app.

This would allow us to make payments through the website and thus allow Paypal to continue using 2FA. We'd all benefit
    *******************************email ends

I realised after sending it that I'm implying Paypal would work if 2FA was disabled but I've never tried that, nor would I. But from comments I've read from other users, it seems that it doesn't work under any circumstances.

Like most online corporates, BBWorld do their best to make it impossible to email them so that was sent through their
    "Order Support" page https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=Abyd572O

Does anyone have a more responsive address?

Has anyone found a way around the problem (which doesn't involve handing over credit/debit card details or any other obvious breach of personal financial security)
    Batibreaker likes this.
    03-07-14 05:40 AM
    I'm on a contract so I use the option to have my carrier add any app purchases to my monthly bill. I can then choose to pay with a credit card or check, by phone, online, or in person. If you carrier allows that, you might be able to avoid PayPal issues altogether.

Has anyone found a way around the problem (which doesn't involve handing over credit/debit card details or any other obvious breach of personal financial security)

Typed on my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.2.1.2141 :-)
    03-07-14 05:55 AM
    I buy my apps with Paypal using 2 Curves, 2 different bolds, and now my Q10 with no issues.
    03-07-14 11:33 AM
    Recently switched over to carrier billing. Nice and simple.

SQN100-1 10.2.1.2141 | STA100-3 10.2.1.2141
    Batibreaker likes this.
    03-07-14 11:38 AM
    PayPal works. I use it all the time when I purchase apps

Posted via CB10 on my Z mfk'n 10!
    03-07-14 11:52 AM
    PP works for me on my Q10 and also when I had my 9930
    03-07-14 12:47 PM
    OP is referring to the use of PP when TFA is enabled via the PP Security Key (device or mobile notification).

SQN100-1 10.2.1.2141 | STA100-3 10.2.1.2141
    03-07-14 01:19 PM
    Thanks guys. Some interesting replies

Ragbert & adamlau suggest Carrier billing. Like the sound of that. Will investigate if Orange/EE do that, but my follow up question to you two is how do we set that up with BB World? Is it a payment option on their site or do we set it up through the carrier?

Blueeyestm uses two phones. Presumably that allows the 2FA to work because it's not sending a message to the buying phone?

jrohland's suggestion of turning the TFA off, just for the purpose of setting up the payment option, then turning it back on again, is what Paypal themselves suggested. I haven't done that because I generally don't trust the online systems to work as advertised and don't want to lose TFA for my (much more numerous and valuable) "normal" online purchasing. However if you've done that and found Paypal to be sufficiently reliable, I may well risk that route.

At the moment though, Carrier billing looks favourite...
    03-09-14 09:01 AM
    In BBW, swipe down from the top to get to Settings >> Payment Options. You'll be asked to log in with your BlackBerry ID. Then you'll be presented with a list of available options for payment. If Carrier billing isn't there, call your carrier to see if they can provide this service. If you're making monthly payments anyway, they probably can.

Thanks guys. Some interesting replies

Ragbert & adamlau suggest Carrier billing. Like the sound of that. Will investigate if Orange/EE do that, but my follow up question to you two is how do we set that up with BB World? Is it a payment option on their site or do we set it up through the carrier?

:: snipped using Shift+finger-drag ::

At the moment though, Carrier billing looks favourite...

03-09-14 09:18 AM
    Shouldn't this be in the BlackBerry Functionality & Services forum? It has nothing to do with the Q10.

Posted by a proud NRA supporter
    03-09-14 01:29 PM
    Carrier billing works on t-mobile/ee and I also use normal PayPal settings but I don't understand why you need so much security when you have to enter your password every time you purchase something?

Posted using my z10 on Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141
    03-09-14 01:35 PM
    I have 5 words for you "Use your browser works perfectly!"

BlackBerry Q10 ? & Full Metal CB10!
    03-09-14 06:12 PM
    Why do you trust PayPal with your financials but not BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    03-09-14 06:14 PM
    What is 2FA?

Q10 with Telus on 10.2.1.2141
    03-09-14 06:19 PM
    Carrier billing works for me and most carriers do it these days. Plus, I find it far more secure than PayPal where I've had my account hacked twice now.
    03-09-14 06:20 PM
    What is 2FA?

Q10 with Telus on 10.2.1.2141
    We know 1 person that did not read the thread. This was explained.

2 factor authentication.

Posted by my device of choice. Might be a BlackBerry, might not be. It is of no concern to you.
    03-09-14 06:30 PM
    why you need so much security when you have to enter your password every time you purchase something?
    at the risk of teaching one or two grandmothers to suck eggs, the benefit of 2FA is NOT (primarily) transaction security. I probably DON'T need password protection for every trivial transaction I'm likely to perform on a blackberry. The point of 2FA is to impose a rule on the use of your data such that NO transaction is valid unless it's confirmed by the second channel (in this case a PIN sent to your phone) What that means is greatly reduced risk in the event that someone gets hold of your financial details. They can't use them unless they've also managed to obtain (and unlock) your phone.

Even this is a woolly compromise but it is much better than just relying on keeping your data safe. "Real" protection will require one time keys (together with what I call "Strong Revocation") and I have been pushing for that technology to protect all financial transactions (online or off) for over a decade, so far without success. Mind you, I suspect I was one of the earliest to suggest to Paypal the use of the mobile phones for 2FA but it was still another 7 years before they implemented it, so give 'em another 20 years and we might see one time keys...

I actually trust BB much more than most online retailers and probably more than I trust Paypal. But financial data can leak from multiple sources. If you strictly enforce the 2FA rules wherever you use the data, I won't say it doesn't matter if the data leaks, but the risk of abuse is far less. The chances of your data leaking AND your phone being stolen (without you noticing and reporting it) are generally fairly low...
    03-10-14 03:12 PM
    I am on EE so I'll be checking out carrier billing as soon as the buggers answer the phone!
    03-10-14 03:14 PM
    Sorted. Carrier billing up and running. Thanks chaps (and chappesses if any)
    Ragbert likes this.
    03-11-14 05:47 AM
    Fantastic! Glad that worked out so well!

Sorted. Carrier billing up and running. Thanks chaps (and chappesses if any)

03-11-14 07:16 AM