Cut the crap short, he said that he isn't allowed to tell me, but HE SAID THE TRACKPAD WILL BE AVAILABLE ON SOME DEVICES.

His exact words ^

Not sure how far that is true, whether he was making it up, getting a customer to stay, or anything of that sort, as he wasn't some executive of RIM, but yeah, it's got me thinking.
    I would suspect that he knows nothing about actual devices, we know that the first qwerty will not have the trackpad and any subsequent device will be far too secret for random employee to hear about it.

I think that the only way we see another trackpad from Rim is if we get another bb7 device as a low end update to replace the 9220/9320 or something, not on any bb10 devices
    12-16-12 07:15 AM
    My contract isn't up for over another year, so I will wait and see. I luv my Bold 9900 with the best keyboard in the business and luv the trackpad for precision. Hopefully future builds of the BB10 qwerty devices will have a trackpad...
    12-16-12 10:45 AM
    ...Often it is hard to imagine a new way to do something until we do.
    When the iPhone was released I thought I would never purchase a touchscreen device without a stylus. That was until I realized that iOS was built for touch and did not need a stylus. RIM has reimagined the OS so that there is no need for a trackpad. although I am a big fan of the trackpad along with the other physical buttons on my 9800, I think BB10 will work just fine without them.
    Novaone likes this.
    12-16-12 07:29 PM
    I would suspect that he knows nothing about actual devices, we know that the first qwerty will not have the trackpad and any subsequent device will be far too secret for random employee to hear about it.

I think that the only way we see another trackpad from Rim is if we get another bb7 device as a low end update to replace the 9220/9320 or something, not on any bb10 devices
    You have to keep something in mind when you say that, and I heard this from one of RIM's trainees. RIM will never, I repeat, NEVER, compromise on what they are best at doing. Currently, there isn't one smartphone (in my opinion of course) that can cut, copy & paste with the same or similar precision, speed and comfort that RIM's BlackBerry handhelds offer. The keypad, another amazing thing about BlackBerry devices.

They won't compromise. Since communication is what BlackBerry devices do best (BBM, Twitter, Facebook, Text Messaging) largely due to the interface as well as the hardware (keyboard and trackpad), they will not just remove such a fundamental piece of their success without an a better alternative. Just sit and wait guys, I wouldn't worry so much if I were you. RIM know what they're doing this time; they know how we users love to copy text, hold the caps lock button then continuously smash the trackpad to repeatedly paste what we copied. They know what they need to do, and will do it right, I trust them with this.
    12-18-12 03:56 AM
    I was pretty bummed about the trackpad too.

Until I got a Playbook.

It's surprising how well I am able to get around without it.
    I've got a PlayBook and use it little... yes it is usable - but a trackpad is a lot nicer...
    For swiping something into a direction or stabbing at something big on a screen, a touchscreen works - playing a cursor in a specific location is near impossible on a touchscreen. With a tracpad - easy. (Same goes for highlighting)
    12-19-12 10:03 AM
    You've clearly never used a phone that wasn't a Blackberry. Do you even know what pinch to zoom is? Sounds like you have zero idea what you're talking about.
    Pinch to zoom......yes, used that before. That REQUIRES 2 hand operation (unless you have the phone laying on a table). I guess I am that 1% that uses their phone with one hand like RIM intended to. Oh well, I man can dream.......
    12-19-12 10:25 AM
    Pinch to zoom......yes, used that before. That REQUIRES 2 hand operation (unless you have the phone laying on a table). I guess I am that 1% that uses their phone with one hand like RIM intended to. Oh well, I man can dream.......
    *Picks up Galaxy Nexus from desk*

*Pinches to zoom with one hand successfully*

What kind of sorcery is this? Even if you don't have the capability of doing it with 1 hand, you can double tap. I recommend you try Chrome on Android (I don't know if it has the functionality on iOS), because when you tap on a link that is too close to other links to be sure, it zooms in and makes that area very big and much easier to click the link. It doesn't make you lose your place either. It keeps everything else the same but just that specific cluster of links magnified to the front.

I took some screenshots so it can demonstrate what I'm talking about:

Before I clicked on links:
    Status of the Trackpad-screenshot_2012-12-19-09-12-44.jpg

After I clicked on a cluster of tiny links:
    Status of the Trackpad-screenshot_2012-12-19-09-12-52.jpg

That's if you're not on a mobile site btw. I had to purposely go to their regular site just to show the example....
    12-19-12 11:16 AM
    *Picks up Galaxy Nexus from desk*

*Pinches to zoom with one hand successfully*

What kind of sorcery is this? Even if you don't have the capability of doing it with 1 hand, you can double tap. I recommend you try Chrome on Android (I don't know if it has the functionality on iOS), because when you tap on a link that is too close to other links to be sure, it zooms in and makes that area very big and much easier to click the link. It doesn't make you lose your place either. It keeps everything else the same but just that specific cluster of links magnified to the front.

I took some screenshots so it can demonstrate what I'm talking about:

Before I clicked on links:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2012-12-19-09-12-44.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	128949

After I clicked on a cluster of tiny links:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2012-12-19-09-12-52.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	128950

That's if you're not on a mobile site btw. I had to purposely go to their regular site just to show the example....
    Well you could pinch to zoom with one hand but it's not a natural way of holding the phone, and I think the majority would agree with that statement. So I apologize for the REQUIRED 2 use two hand statement I made. But then again you can drive a car while steering with your LEGS if you really tried

Thank you for the demo you posted. The double tap is doable, but it sure would be nice if it worked on mobile sites. But why blow up the screen first, when a trackpad could accurately pinpoint your location? I guess I'm being lazy but after using a precision tool like the trackpad, it's seems hard to do an extra step to get the same result. But I will have no choice but to adapt.
    12-19-12 11:34 AM
    Okay, once again I am here to post some newss ^_^_^_^

So, firstly, the trackpad shouldn't matter that much as RIM will definitely have something in store if they're removing the trackpad. Can we all put our money on RIM and trust them? Of course we can. We all love BlackBerry devices, and that's why we're on this website. Come on, have a little faith in them guys.

Okay, now for the important bit. I spoke to my friend today, his Dad works for RIM; he must be enjoying a good position as he has a BlackBerry 10 device, and has seen the qwerty device. I asked him a few questions. Firstly, I asked whether the interface would be different on the qwerty device as compared to the full L series. He said no it wouldn't, but it's amazing. I then asked him if it would have a trackpad, he said it doesn't. I said "What about cut, copy and paste, does it have any alternatives" and he said "Yeah it's got all of that it's amazing", clearly trying to avoid giving out any details. He told me that he personally uses BB 10 and it is an amazing operating system; he also added, "It's better than the iPhone but it won't sell more than the iPhone".

So, I guess the trainee who said I could expect a trackpad was just making up some random crap. Anyways, I'm really looking forward to the devices, and I just felt everyone should be updated about this. Someone has USED the qwerty device, and feels it's sufficient. Like me, he's a teenager, we use the cut, copy and paste functions a lot to spam each other with smilies or random messages, so if he feels the alternative works (no trackpad), then it must be working.

I hope that helped relieve all those souls who felt we are doomed because of no trackpad
    theegoldenone likes this.
    12-19-12 12:06 PM
    Well you could pinch to zoom with one hand but it's not a natural way of holding the phone, and I think the majority would agree with that statement. So I apologize for the REQUIRED 2 use two hand statement I made. But then again you can drive a car while steering with your LEGS if you really tried

Thank you for the demo you posted. The double tap is doable, but it sure would be nice if it worked on mobile sites. But why blow up the screen first, when a trackpad could accurately pinpoint your location? I guess I'm being lazy but after using a precision tool like the trackpad, it's seems hard to do an extra step to get the same result. But I will have no choice but to adapt.
    I see why you thought it doesn't work on mobile sites by the way I phrased my sentence. I meant to say it DOES work on mobile sites of course, I just had to go out of my way to show it on a non mobile site because if the site is designed properly you will rarely run into a problem of not being able to click on a link.

As for the trackpad, I had the Bold 9930 and if I remember correctly it would act the same exact way. If there were a cluster of links, instead of letting you click it I believe the first option became to zoom. Maybe I'm wrong though, it's been some time since I booted mine up.

Anyways, I really think just keeping the trackpad for such minimal amount of use would be pointless.

You guys will get used to touch screens. Trust me.
    Last edited by JGuez; 12-19-12 at 12:25 PM. Reason: typo
    12-19-12 12:24 PM
    Okay, for you guys above
    Pinch to zoom is a very nice feature that should be present irrespective of whether the trackpad is there or not there on the device
    You can't tell me the keyboard shortcuts and trackpad do a better job of specifically zooming in at a point on a picture than your fingers
    It feels very natural with two hands, and, if you try, you can quite easily get the job done with one hand, especially if the phone is placed down on a flat surface such as a desk
    Now, the trackpad. At times, it eliminates the need to zoom in to click on a very small link due to its precision and the size of the cursor of course. That DOES not mean that it negates the requirement of a touch screen and pinch to zoom.
    Both features NEED to be present on the device for me to be completely satisfied *

* Unless the trackpad's precision can be achieved using an alternative method which is not more time consuming than using the trackpad
    12-20-12 02:24 PM
    OK, here's the deal. If RIM sells a phone that is just like the iPhone, why not just buy an iPhone? If I want a 100% touchscreen interface then there is no reason to buy a BlackBerry.

If touchscreen is the answer to every form of data management, why do they keep selling computers with mice? I mean, that's 1980's technology.

For my part, I have a BlackBerry because it is an innovative little device that can type like a ******* and surf the web at blazing speed (considering its screen size) using a cursor and back button. And that's holding it in one hand with my coffee in the other (sorry, but I don't work at a desk that I can set my phone on and frustrate myself with pinch to zoom or trying to edit a single character).

Now, I do wish the SOFTWARE were newer, but that alone will never sell me over the physical features that sets this device apart from everything else.

They also need to make a flip or some other compact version... If it does not fit in my jeans pocket without getting smashed, I will not buy it.
    ssbtech likes this.
    12-23-12 08:44 AM
    We will listen to RIM and Thor when it comes to hardware so if there is No trackpad then there's NO trackpad. If they wanted a trackpad they would have put it on there If they hadn't figured out a better solution to do without one. Apparently, they Have figured it out and are going withOut a trackpad.
    12-23-12 12:54 PM
    if trackpad is not coming i am not moving from my 9360 for a while.
    12-23-12 10:05 PM
    The trackpad is amazing for cut, copy and paste, but otherwise, it really isn't ALL so convenient as everyone makes it sound.

The reason people admire the trackpad is its PRECISION.

If RIM can create an alternative method of having the same precision as the trackpad, then we're good to go.

I know, I posted that a RIM trainee told me that some devices will have the trackpad, and it'll definitely be a bonus if it is present, but I'm just stating the possibilities.
    Exactly. I own an iPad 3 and still find myself going to a computer and use a mouse to do things. I like it because I don't need to think too much on the technicalities, just do things, whilst this touch keeps me preoccupied with how I do what I need to do.. this over intuitivity is too much for my taste.
    The Trackpad to me is like a mouse, to just get things done without fancy gestures.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    12-25-12 04:27 PM
    In other words, is the new keyboard BB a play phone, or a work phone. If the answer is the latter, a Trackpad is a must. For play we can just get iphones or the Samsung devices.

12-25-12 04:42 PM
    I really think we all are underestimating RIM. They are known for their keyboards, their precision, speed in cut, copy, paste, basically the snappy work stuff. They are not going to toss that all away or even make a small compromise on this. I mean come on, you really think a million dollar company is that stupid? (Rhetorical question)

Really guys, if they've removed the trackpad, they've done it because they've found a better solution, not because customers didn't like it. I'm repeating myself for like the 5th time by saying: I trust RIM, my money's on them.

And about the touch screen not being present because the old BlackBerry hardware features were better, I really disagree. I think the BlackBerry needs to become a hybrid of new features/hardware/software and old features/hardware/software. For me, that would definitely require a touch screen. Zooming into a picture, large web page, flicking through images? Touch screen for me. Copying, pasting, clicking on tiny links? Trackpad for me.

^_^ Just my opinion
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-25-12 05:11 PM
    It's not just text copy/paste that the trackpad is good for. I'm sure RIM can come up with a solution that's better than the god awful PlayBook style blue arrows for copy/paste, but the trackpad is just better than a touch-screen for simple selection.

In the facebook app for example, swiping down on the trackpad quickly moves the selection highlight from one "clickable" field to another.

There's no guesswork as to what is clickable and what isn't.

When listening to voicemail, the scrubber is much easier to control with the trackpad than it is to slide it along on the screen. Not to mention you can see where it is without your thumb covering half the screen. Same with the media player.

The only replacement for a trackpad is a trackpad.
    12-25-12 11:46 PM
    here's a patent for you:
    Remove all unnecessary buttons including the Trackpad, *but* keep a square on the touch screen where the Trackpad used to be, that will function as a Trackpad and have a clear border.
    The Trackpad is a primitive touch screen as it is, so this way we can all be perfectly happy.

12-26-12 11:33 AM
    I thought about an on-screen trackpad but it wastes space and isn't always there when you want it.

The PlayBook does a medicore job at guessing when you want/need the keyboard so I cna't imagine how they'll come up with trackpad hide/show logic.
    12-26-12 12:08 PM
    On the PlayBook we swipe up from the bottom left to show the keyboard, while the bottom right swipe does nothing. What if this is intended to bring up an on-screen trackpad, a translucent rectangle that allows precise movement of input and selection functions?
    12-26-12 12:51 PM
    They should have just integrated it into the bezel. The BlackBerry logo on the PlayBook would have made a good trackpad area.
    12-26-12 01:09 PM
    I hardly ever used the track pad on my Torch 9800, so to me, it won't be that big a deal, really.
    12-26-12 08:18 PM
    Well for someone like me who won't send an SMS with a spelling mistake or other typo, I can't stand being without the trackpad. And I too have a 9800.
    12-26-12 11:38 PM
    I really think we all are underestimating RIM. They are known for their keyboards, their precision, speed in cut, copy, paste, basically the snappy work stuff. They are not going to toss that all away or even make a small compromise on this. I mean come on, you really think a million dollar company is that stupid? (Rhetorical question)

Really guys, if they've removed the trackpad, they've done it because they've found a better solution, not because customers didn't like it. I'm repeating myself for like the 5th time by saying: I trust RIM, my money's on them.

And about the touch screen not being present because the old BlackBerry hardware features were better, I really disagree. I think the BlackBerry needs to become a hybrid of new features/hardware/software and old features/hardware/software. For me, that would definitely require a touch screen. Zooming into a picture, large web page, flicking through images? Touch screen for me. Copying, pasting, clicking on tiny links? Trackpad for me.

^_^ Just my opinion
    If RIM has an option that is better than the trackpad and the virtual keyboard on the Z is so great then why even have the N series? I believe the BB10 OS will make the full touchscreen a new, different, and better experience than the other devices out there. RIM should let the features of the physical qwerty keypad be known or face the possibility of losing most of the users to the full touchscreen. ( Unless this is the plan???? )

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-27-12 12:41 AM
134 12345 ...