01-28-13 12:50 AM
134 12345 ...
tools
  1. SlcCorrado's Avatar
    The trackpad is gone. Deal with it. There is nothing more precise or as quick than using your finger to point at an icon at the screen and choosing it that way.

    You'll get over it in like a week or 2.
    Agreed. I don't think Ill miss it. It certainly doesn't help me on the 9860
    12-07-12 07:57 AM
  2. bER1Nry's Avatar
    It looks to be very likely that the N-series will not host a track pad. but we shouldn't hate the idea. but embrace it.
    the people in RIM are not idiots. We need to trust in them that the N-series will be perfect.
    They know what qwerty users are looking for in a phone, and I trust they will provide us with the best user experience.
    dataphry likes this.
    12-07-12 12:42 PM
  3. dataphry's Avatar
    Like people , said ,have to wait and see
    12-07-12 01:23 PM
  4. theegoldenone's Avatar
    The trackpad is gone. Deal with it. There is nothing more precise or as quick than using your finger to point at an icon at the screen and choosing it that way.

    You'll get over it in like a week or 2.
    Yes, those nice big fat icons. If only words and letters were the size of these icons. NOTHING is more precise than the trackpad, for precision type situations, like selecting letters/words
    Jaredius likes this.
    12-07-12 06:24 PM
  5. JGuez's Avatar
    Yes, those nice big fat icons. If only words and letters were the size of these icons. NOTHING is more precise than the trackpad, for precision type situations, like selecting letters/words
    Oh so for those cases you'll rarely need it they should keep it on the phone?

    It's not so difficult. You can double tap on the word which highlights it completely and retype it. Heck if you tap on a word that is incorrectly spelled it will give you a drop down of corrections. Again, the trackpad served a great purpose for the time we lived in but these days it's not necessary anymore. So yes maybe for a task here and there for 1% of the phone's use a trackpad is the best but for the other 99% nothing is more precise than using your fingers.
    12-08-12 12:40 PM
  6. Tom689's Avatar
    I've been using an all touch phone and I miss the trackpad a lot. It was one of the things that made blackberry phones good. I hope they put it on one of the later designs at least
    Jaredius likes this.
    12-08-12 10:11 PM
  7. image70's Avatar
    When you have around 56 unread mails in your iphone ( not one after the other, but in a random manner) and you want to mark them all as read, then you will remember how efficient and useful and required the trackpad on a BB is, which is able to drag down all messages at one go, using the help of shift key along with the trackpad and you are able to mark all as read, within seconds.

    This is my only worry of loosing a Trackpad on a Berry. All touchscreen phones are hopeless, when it comes to email management.
    Saving browsing, app usage and OS navigation, my main requirement of a Trackpad is for email (and its allied matters ) usage.
    Exactly, I agree.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    Jaredius likes this.
    12-12-12 10:45 AM
  8. Ciurlo's Avatar
    Although I totally agree with the fact that the trackpad is an amazing feature, I think that we should wait before express regret.
    The trackpad was designed for an old OS, and it was the only possible way to move around and interact with the phone.
    BB10 (and I'd like to remember, it's not simply a new phone but it's an entire environment) is designed differently, with a new idea in mind, a totally different experience.
    As I said, I love the trackpad on my 9900 and I'd love to see a N-series with it, but I'm sure I'll not miss it.........after a while at least.
    12-13-12 07:56 AM
  9. Jaredius's Avatar
    Trackpad or bust. I will stick with my 9900 if there is no trackpad on the N. If I read in the forums that precise selection is easy on the N, I will play around with one and see for myself before considering buying one. Rumor has it there will be no keyboard shortcuts either. That seems a bit ridiculous, but then again so is no trackpad IMHO.
    12-13-12 10:35 AM
  10. theegoldenone's Avatar
    Oh so for those cases you'll rarely need it they should keep it on the phone?

    It's not so difficult. You can double tap on the word which highlights it completely and retype it. Heck if you tap on a word that is incorrectly spelled it will give you a drop down of corrections. Again, the trackpad served a great purpose for the time we lived in but these days it's not necessary anymore. So yes maybe for a task here and there for 1% of the phone's use a trackpad is the best but for the other 99% nothing is more precise than using your fingers.
    1%???? Hmmmmmm? I'm on Crackberry daily. Lord forbid there is a topic with more than 1 Page. To press the Page 2,3,4,5.....is quite comical sometimes when trying to use just the finger. But via trackpad, it's ridiculously easy. Speak for yourself with that 1% usage stuff.
    12-13-12 01:37 PM
  11. JGuez's Avatar
    1%???? Hmmmmmm? I'm on Crackberry daily. Lord forbid there is a topic with more than 1 Page. To press the Page 2,3,4,5.....is quite comical sometimes when trying to use just the finger. But via trackpad, it's ridiculously easy. Speak for yourself with that 1% usage stuff.
    You've clearly never used a phone that wasn't a Blackberry. Do you even know what pinch to zoom is? Sounds like you have zero idea what you're talking about.
    12-14-12 07:39 PM
  12. belfastdispatcher's Avatar
    Oh so for those cases you'll rarely need it they should keep it on the phone?

    It's not so difficult. You can double tap on the word which highlights it completely and retype it. Heck if you tap on a word that is incorrectly spelled it will give you a drop down of corrections. Again, the trackpad served a great purpose for the time we lived in but these days it's not necessary anymore. So yes maybe for a task here and there for 1% of the phone's use a trackpad is the best but for the other 99% nothing is more precise than using your fingers.
    Does your laptop/pc/mac etc still have a mouse?

    I think found another way to implement the trackpad, I don't think this is the end of it.
    12-15-12 04:42 AM
  13. BergerKing's Avatar
    The nice thing about the advent of the bigger screen is a quick flick, expand the screen a tad, and text becomes easy to highlight and select. Do I miss some occasionally? Yes, but I did with the trackpad, too. Folks, the only way you don't adapt is to close your mind to change. If you take a minute or a few hundred to learn your device, the easier things become.
    JGuez, toneytone and bER1Nry like this.
    12-15-12 07:47 AM
  14. JGuez's Avatar
    Does your laptop/pc/mac etc still have a mouse?

    I think found another way to implement the trackpad, I don't think this is the end of it.
    You realize that before the mouse we only typed commands and it was done via JUST the keyboard. So you're saying we should never have progressed and moved to the mouse? Brilliant.
    12-15-12 02:27 PM
  15. qbnkelt's Avatar
    I thought getting rid of the trackpad was a huge mistake. And frankly, I don't like the look of the N because it looks like it's missing something.

    That said.....I have been using my iPhone and now my SGIII almost exclusively....only use my BB for my *one* BBM contact I've got left....and I'm amazed how easy the transition to an all touchscreen was. No problem at all. So I don't think the missing trackpad will be a deal breaker at all.

    But still....I prefer the L to the N.

    I may end up just being an all touchscreen person all the time.
    12-15-12 04:57 PM
  16. PippinTook's Avatar
    The TrackPad is nice but its also one of things most phones are moving away. The only problem I have ever had with my Blackberry was stuff getting stuck under the trackpad which is one of the drawbacks of a trackpad. I love using the touch screen on my families Kindle Fire if RIM does it right the Trackpad wont be that missed.
    12-15-12 05:11 PM
  17. WhiteBerry's Avatar
    Okay guys, I'm just a 15 year old kid and I bet most people wouldn't care about what I'm just about to say.

    However, I was at phones4u the other day (or TheCarphoneWarehouse, can't remember which one I was at), and a RIM guy with a BlackBerry hoodie came in and was updating the firmware on the PBs and told me how he came to train the staff about BB 10

    Cut the crap short, he said that he isn't allowed to tell me, but HE SAID THE TRACKPAD WILL BE AVAILABLE ON SOME DEVICES.

    His exact words ^

    Not sure how far that is true, whether he was making it up, getting a customer to stay, or anything of that sort, as he wasn't some executive of RIM, but yeah, it's got me thinking.

    Well? Tell me what you guys think
    12-15-12 05:47 PM
  18. toneytone's Avatar
    It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility in order to differentiate between the curve and bold equivalent they offer a non touch screen version with a stripped down version of OS10. That could be your trackpad version. And that's just if the info above is correct.
    12-15-12 06:18 PM
  19. ChainPunch's Avatar
    Hopefully that is the case, as I can't see them going too low spec wise, for the other devices from the N and L series devices, as RIM has said that they want the BB10 experience to be the same across the board on all of their devices. We do know that there will be 3 keyboard phones (N-Series (Bold), R-Series (Curve), and one un-name line (could be the M-Series - slider). My course of action will be to wait for all the devices to be release to see if there is going to be trackpad on anyone one of them, as the thought of using a touchscreen is not going to work for me.
    12-15-12 08:10 PM
  20. cbwannabe's Avatar
    Without a trackpad, I wonder if a larger screen would be a better experience. I'm definitely all for a physical keyboard but now I just don't know!
    12-15-12 11:49 PM
  21. SixStringMadness's Avatar
    Hardly ever use the trackpad on my 9930, don't think it will be missed on the N-series.
    12-16-12 12:22 AM
  22. Novaone's Avatar
    The trackpad is dead.. To include it would second guess their new software design. I think its awesome input tech, but BB 7.1 will remain around for some time if you must. I'm sure considerations have since made for new methods of selection.

    We can all decide if we truly miss it once we use it. Some must have hated the wheel to trackball, then to trackpad transition.

    Often it is hard to imagine a new way to do something until we do.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-16-12 03:08 AM
  23. WhiteBerry's Avatar
    The trackpad is amazing for cut, copy and paste, but otherwise, it really isn't ALL so convenient as everyone makes it sound.

    The reason people admire the trackpad is its PRECISION.

    If RIM can create an alternative method of having the same precision as the trackpad, then we're good to go.

    I know, I posted that a RIM trainee told me that some devices will have the trackpad, and it'll definitely be a bonus if it is present, but I'm just stating the possibilities.
    neeshie likes this.
    12-16-12 05:54 AM
  24. fabio1's Avatar
    I for one will not upgrade to N series without a trackpad, will continue with 9900 and eventually move over to L Series, S3 or other
    12-16-12 06:30 AM
  25. neeshie's Avatar
    agreed, I have some issues with the london design , the lack of many of the physical buttons such as track pad , call end key , bb menu key , really prevents me of thinking seriously about london , it looks great dont get me wrong , but these physical keys was the reason I came to the 9900 in the first place
    Def agree with you there!! I have a 9360 currently and looking to use two devices (not that I need to - I just want a 9900). I was going to wait until the N Series came out but I'm leaning more towards a 9900 purchase. I like having the ability to use both the screen and the normal keys (track pad, bb menu key etc)
    12-16-12 07:13 AM
134 12345 ...

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-19-11, 10:08 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-26-11, 03:26 PM
  3. Ascii Code For Go Back Key (right of the trackpad)
    By me2MBC in forum Developers Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-29-10, 04:05 AM
  4. Ascii Code For Go Back Key (right of the trackpad)
    By me2MBC in forum BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-28-10, 09:07 AM
  5. status of the phone?
    By stark4 in forum BlackBerry Tour 9630
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-13-09, 11:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD