Hello,

I don't know the final look of the BB10 keyboard Blackberries, but I would prefer if the Trackpad (or some other easy way to scroll through emails and messages) stays.

Think about it- the touch screen is a major reason why email is so bad on the iOS. It's just easy to lose track of all the emails, unless there is a good way to scroll through them one by one.

It may sound strage now, but think about it and you'll see how a thing so small can make such a big difference. It gives you a better sense of control over what's going on in your device and all your messages, to me it is priceless.

If the new devices will not have such ability, I will seriously think about staying with my good old 9700, which is really 10 levels above the rest in email and message handling. Not one email gets lost.

Tom

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    11-05-12 02:29 PM
    agreed, I have some issues with the london design , the lack of many of the physical buttons such as track pad , call end key , bb menu key , really prevents me of thinking seriously about london , it looks great dont get me wrong , but these physical keys was the reason I came to the 9900 in the first place
    11-05-12 11:32 PM
    I think the full touch is nbd, but the N series would be nice with a trackpad.
    Shane8750 likes this.
    11-07-12 09:36 AM
    RIM have built their reputation on keyboard functionality (I include the trackpad and other buttons with the keyboard as they are so integrated) - it strikes me that at a time when the very future of RIM is at stake they would want to do as much to keep their existing users as well as winning new ones. I see the L-series fitting into the latter category (although not exclusively) and the N-series in to the former. If the keyboard fans aren't impressed with the N-series I'm not sure there will be any incentive to stick with Blackberry (yes the L-series keyboard may be great but people often vote with their feet if they feel a brand has failed to deliver what they want in the first instance).

All this leads me to believe...albeit hopefully...that RIM will not mess this up and will deliver a user experience that's new and fresh but which feels somehow familiar, or at least enough to keep it's user base. Also, all these people at RIM use BB's and I'm in no doubt are power users. Therefore why would they design a product that they themselves wouldn't like?

So, as we don't know the full facts apart from a render screen shot, I think the N-series will redefine the relationship between screen and keyboard and reset the bar...higher of course
    Jake Storm likes this.
    11-08-12 04:40 AM
    A track pad and blackberry buttons would be a plus for the new bb10 device. But if they are left out I guess the physical keyboard will do.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-08-12 04:12 PM
    I'm going to be blunt, but in fairness there have been millions of these threads and they're getting kind of boring. There will not be a trackpad on any BB10 device. The operating system does not need one, nor is it well designed for one. Having used my gf's iphone I've never once thought "I really need a trackpad on this device". If the software is well designed, especially when it comes to selecting text, then hopefully you will one day think "why did I spend so much time whining about this space wasting component".

For the other buttons - gestures will fill the role of the back button and menu button. And the call buttons will appear when needed/call mode will be a swipe and a press away.

Trackpad and buttons are going, get over it and embrace the future
    11-08-12 06:15 PM
    I was pretty bummed about the trackpad too.

Until I got a Playbook.

It's surprising how well I am able to get around without it.
    toneytone, jakie55 and Mel25 like this.
    11-08-12 06:21 PM
    The PB has a much larger screen so....
    phatmaan likes this.
    11-09-12 12:34 PM
    "R.I.P. Trackpad"

What if RIM incorporated a thinkpad-like nub into the keyboard say between the GHVB keys? Of course I'm looking at my narrow Curve keys which seems doable but I guess for the Bold-types it would mess up the flushness of the keyboard.
    Nine54 likes this.
    11-13-12 10:53 AM
    What if RIM incorporated a thinkpad-like nub into the keyboard say between the GHVB keys? Of course I'm looking at my narrow Curve keys which seems doable but I guess for the Bold-types it would mess up the flushness of the keyboard.
    xkcd: Appropriate Term is all I have to say to that.
    Bobcat665 and peter9477 like this.
    11-13-12 06:04 PM
    It may sound strage now, but think about it and you'll see how a thing so small can make such a big difference. It gives you a better sense of control over what's going on in your device and all your messages, to me it is priceless.
    I totally agree. I think the 9930 with the combo trackpad and touchscreen is ergonomic perfection, at least for a one-handed on-the-go messaging device. The trackpad may be archaic and not very "cool," but it makes the BBOS devices what someone recently called, "ruthlessly efficient." The idea of being able to thumb through selections while comfirming your choice with a click just makes so much sense for a mobile device.

Still, I don't blame RIM for creating what the larger population thinks they want and need.
    DetlevCM likes this.
    11-13-12 07:01 PM
    I'm going to be blunt, but in fairness there have been millions of these threads and they're getting kind of boring. There will not be a trackpad on any BB10 device. The operating system does not need one, nor is it well designed for one. Having used my gf's iphone I've never once thought "I really need a trackpad on this device". If the software is well designed, especially when it comes to selecting text, then hopefully you will one day think "why did I spend so much time whining about this space wasting component".

For the other buttons - gestures will fill the role of the back button and menu button. And the call buttons will appear when needed/call mode will be a swipe and a press away.

Trackpad and buttons are going, get over it and embrace the future
    I do a lot of copy/past, I hope your right about selecting text part, I've tried my Wifes Iphone and its very poor at selecting text, its still a small screen to try an fit your fingers in there.
    11-14-12 06:39 AM
    +1 for keeping the trackpad. As handy as I've become with the touch interface, it still doesn't even come close to the accuracy of small movements that the trackpad can pick up on.

Also, trackpads work when you're wearing gloves.
    Shoryuken likes this.
    11-14-12 09:19 AM
    xkcd: Appropriate Term is all I have to say to that.
    Haha!
    11-15-12 12:37 PM
    I find cut and paste much easier with a trackpad than the scheme used on the Playbook. However, I think these guys are fighting for every mm of space.

incidentally, the dumb eraser head between the keys was the first thing to go on my Dell notebook. It didn't fail, but rather I ripped the eraser head off. It is really annoying, and I have a trackpad anyway.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    11-15-12 05:07 PM
    I find cut and paste much easier with a trackpad than the scheme used on the Playbook. However, I think these guys are fighting for every mm of space.

incidentally, the dumb eraser head between the keys was the first thing to go on my Dell notebook. It didn't fail, but rather I ripped the eraser head off. It is really annoying, and I have a trackpad anyway.
    Beyond trying to save space you also have the point that it removes one more potential point of failure which reduces the amount of returns, it is something they have always done when they changed things in that area going from the trackwheel that had a tendency to break if that side of your device got bashed to the trackball which improved things except they would tend to get gunked up and then onto the trackpad which doesn't tend to have too many problems but is one extra component that could fail.

As far as your dumping the trackpoint, you must be mad, they are so much more convenient than a trackpad as you do not have to remove your hand from the keyboard to use them.
    11-18-12 05:23 AM
    The trackpad may be archaic and not very "cool," but it makes the BBOS devices what someone recently called, "ruthlessly efficient."
    I don't think they were calling the current BBOS "ruthlessly efficient." That quote came from an article talking about the new BB10 software and the Hub/Peek/Flow functionality making the new OS that efficient.

The trackpad is going bye-bye and once we get used to the idea that it's not needed, you'll be wondering why they didn't toss it a long time ago. The answer??? They needed it because the OS couldn't live without it, not because the user couldn't.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    11-25-12 08:39 PM
    I don't think they were calling the current BBOS "ruthlessly efficient." That quote came from an article talking about the new BB10 software and the Hub/Peek/Flow functionality making the new OS that efficient.The trackpad is going bye-bye and once we get used to the idea that it's not needed, you'll be wondering why they didn't toss it a long time ago. The answer??? They needed it because the OS couldn't live without it, not because the user couldn't.
    The article where I read it is older than I thought but still a good read... about bbos versus iphone... The BlackBerry Is Better Than The iPhone - Business Insider
    11-25-12 08:54 PM
    The article where I read it is older than I thought but still a good read... about bbos versus iphone... The BlackBerry Is Better Than The iPhone - Business Insider
    I just read the article and actually found it pretty good. I didn't read anywhere that the words "ruthlessly efficient" were used, but there is a line in there calling the trackpad navigation "painful"
    11-25-12 09:16 PM
    Having used my gf's iphone I've never once thought "I really need a trackpad on this device".
    I completely disagree. Yes, it will be gone, and for me and others the trackpad will be missed. I have used my wife's iPhone 4S and one of the main things i think using it is "Man, I wish there was a trackpad on this thing".

To each their own I suppose.
    11-30-12 10:36 PM
    I think the main issue with people lamenting the loss of the trackpad is that they are misunderstanding the thinking behind the design of the n-series, this is not going to simply be a traditional blackberry that happens to be running bb10, it is a bb10 device that is fundamentally designed as a touch interface that happens to have a physical qwerty keyboard to suit those with a higher need for data entry.
    12-01-12 10:34 AM
    What if there will be new N series devices will come in the future, with a trackpad maybe?
    Any chance for that?
    12-04-12 09:23 PM
    Having used my gf's iphone I've never once thought "I really need a trackpad on this device". If the software is well designed, especially when it comes to selecting text, then hopefully you will one day think "why did I spend so much time whining about this space wasting component".
    When you have around 56 unread mails in your iphone ( not one after the other, but in a random manner) and you want to mark them all as read, then you will remember how efficient and useful and required the trackpad on a BB is, which is able to drag down all messages at one go, using the help of shift key along with the trackpad and you are able to mark all as read, within seconds.

This is my only worry of loosing a Trackpad on a Berry. All touchscreen phones are hopeless, when it comes to email management.
    Saving browsing, app usage and OS navigation, my main requirement of a Trackpad is for email (and its allied matters ) usage.
    12-05-12 05:22 AM
    When you have around 56 unread mails in your iphone ( not one after the other, but in a random manner) and you want to mark them all as read, then you will remember how efficient and useful and required the trackpad on a BB is, which is able to drag down all messages at one go, using the help of shift key along with the trackpad and you are able to mark all as read, within seconds.

This is my only worry of loosing a Trackpad on a Berry. All touchscreen phones are hopeless, when it comes to email management.
    Saving browsing, app usage and OS navigation, my main requirement of a Trackpad is for email (and its allied matters ) usage.
    Don't know about iphone but on my 9900 I can select multiple emails using just the touch screen very rapidly. A finger each on two emails then scroll down until you've selected all you want. Not one handed, but fast.
    12-05-12 05:38 PM
    The trackpad is gone. Deal with it. There is nothing more precise or as quick than using your finger to point at an icon at the screen and choosing it that way.

You'll get over it in like a week or 2.
    afh81 likes this.
    12-06-12 10:16 AM
134 123 ...