*Picks up Galaxy Nexus from desk*

*Pinches to zoom with one hand successfully*

What kind of sorcery is this? Even if you don't have the capability of doing it with 1 hand, you can double tap. I recommend you try Chrome on Android (I don't know if it has the functionality on iOS), because when you tap on a link that is too close to other links to be sure, it zooms in and makes that area very big and much easier to click the link. It doesn't make you lose your place either. It keeps everything else the same but just that specific cluster of links magnified to the front.

I took some screenshots so it can demonstrate what I'm talking about:

Before I clicked on links:
    Attachment 128949

After I clicked on a cluster of tiny links:
    Attachment 128950

That's if you're not on a mobile site btw. I had to purposely go to their regular site just to show the example....
    Get off your high horse, all touch screen BBs do that, even tge 9900. It's just easier to zoom in and out when you can press two buttons I-zoom in, O-zoom out.
    12-27-12 03:58 AM
    What if the 4 buttons T,Y,G and H could be touch sensitive and act like a trackpad and the buttons could be individually pressed as well as all together?
    12-27-12 05:44 AM
    What if the 4 buttons T,Y,G and H could be touch sensitive and act like a trackpad and the buttons could be individually pressed as well as all together?
    Sort of like, Up, Down, Left and Right arrow keys...
    12-27-12 08:13 AM
    If RIM has an option that is better than the trackpad and the virtual keyboard on the Z is so great then why even have the N series? I believe the BB10 OS will make the full touchscreen a new, different, and better experience than the other devices out there. RIM should let the features of the physical qwerty keypad be known or face the possibility of losing most of the users to the full touchscreen. ( Unless this is the plan???? )

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Because people like me use our phones down to -40 with gloves on. The buttons get hard to press but are still usable, but with a touchscreen keyboard you are SOL unless you have capacitive gloves, which I have yet to see with enough insulation. Same goes for summer work gloves, where the capacitive tips would get damaged in rough use.

I also use the physical keyboard (and trackpad) extensively during meetings to unobtrusively touch-type under the table. This not anywhere near as easy with a touchscreen keyboard.
    12-27-12 01:42 PM
    If RIM has an option that is better than the trackpad and the virtual keyboard on the Z is so great then why even have the N series? I believe the BB10 OS will make the full touchscreen a new, different, and better experience than the other devices out there. RIM should let the features of the physical qwerty keypad be known or face the possibility of losing most of the users to the full touchscreen. ( Unless this is the plan???? )
    They are announcing both devices on Jan 30th even though it is only the l-series that is launching soon after so people will be able to choose between the two albeit with time to try the all-touch first.

As far as the physical keyboard, for some people it will simply be faster to type on and people will go for it due to that reason, but fundamentally it will still remain a touch device unlike the 9900 which was a device that happened to have a touch screen.
    12-28-12 04:30 PM
    Bell no longer carries the 9810. If there's no trackpad or the "replacement" for the trackpad is not suitable, then I'll likely get a 9900.

Not two minutes ago sending a BBM I just used the trackpad to put an apostrophe in a word that the autocorrect didn't correct. It's a nightmare trying to tap between two letters with a touchscreen.
    12-28-12 04:48 PM
    Well for someone like me who won't send an SMS with a spelling mistake or other typo, I can't stand being without the trackpad. And I too have a 9800.
    Well, now you've hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned. My daughter in law switched from her RIM phone (don't remember the model but it had a keyboard) to a full touch device... think it's a Samsung. Her texts to me now have typos all the time. Are they readable? Absolutely. Does she care about the typos? Not really. But for me, old school, touch typist and all that, sending something containing "errors" is out of the question.

Full touch will inherit the world I'm sure, but not until my generation dies off.

Just my $.02.
    tommyv and sandra_17 like this.
    12-29-12 10:51 AM
    Well, now you've hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned. My daughter in law switched from her RIM phone (don't remember the model but it had a keyboard) to a full touch device... think it's a Samsung. Her texts to me now have typos all the time. Are they readable? Absolutely. Does she care about the typos? Not really. But for me, old school, touch typist and all that, sending something containing "errors" is out of the question.

Full touch will inherit the world I'm sure, but not until my generation dies off.

Just my $.02.
    Ugh, I so agree with you. I can't STAND errors or shortcut typing. Unfortunately, you see it everywhere nowadays, as it's become an accepted part of social networking society. It makes me think that people have lost total command of the English language. Either that, or they're just lazy. No thanks, on that. QWERTY all the way for me.
    nappp, mystic84 and rtergdvasdfg like this.
    12-29-12 10:59 AM
    I agree. qwerty for me too!
    12-29-12 12:01 PM
    what they need to do is have the option to press and hold one of the buttons on the side and pull up a virtual trackpad.
    12-29-12 08:29 PM
    That's just a tedious extra step every time you want to use it.
    12-29-12 08:55 PM
    I'm feeling pretty sceptical about the precision and ease of use of the X10 hardware QWERTY + touchscreen/gestures compared to the BBOS hardware QWERTY + trackpad. I'm thinking that within a year RIM is going to have to bring back the trackpad if they're going to satisfy the people that haven't gone with the full screen Z10.
    12-29-12 08:56 PM
    That's just a tedious extra step every time you want to use it.
    Well as it stands there is no trackpad. so this is a software change they could make and pair it to a side button to allow those who want to use a trackpad to do that and if you dont you use regular gesture controls
    12-29-12 09:58 PM
    I think the full touch is nbd, but the N series would be nice with a trackpad.
    Trackpad and BB button will give that old BlackBerry totem to BB10��I think this could be one of the reasons they don�t include them anymore.
    12-30-12 07:30 AM
    Ugh, I so agree with you. I can't STAND errors or shortcut typing. Unfortunately, you see it everywhere nowadays, as it's become an accepted part of social networking society. It makes me think that people have lost total command of the English language. Either that, or they're just lazy. No thanks, on that. QWERTY all the way for me.
    Accepting wrong as right is wrong. Just because many wrongs are accepted by the masses doesn't make it right. This phenomenon is widespread in today's society.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-30-12 09:52 PM
    Agreed, unfortunately.
    12-30-12 09:54 PM
    In my experience, mistakes in email aren't as widely accepted as mistakes in sms. When communicating with people on desktop computers, I expect to be held to a desktop standard.
    12-30-12 10:22 PM
    In my experience, mistakes in email aren't as widely accepted as mistakes in sms. When communicating with people on desktop computers, I expect to be held to a desktop standard.
    Oh, I can't stand it, no matter the mode of communication. The whole "you're" vs. "your" problem, the "there" vs. "their" vs. "they're" problem, the "to" vs. "too" vs. "two" problem, the mixing letters with numbers thing, like "u2"... it's endless. I prefer to write out and type out complete and coherent thoughts, as opposed to taking shortcuts.
    Last edited by girl_Interrupted513; 01-01-13 at 05:39 PM.
    ssbtech and jakie55 like this.
    12-30-12 10:32 PM
    Me too. Full words and sentences please. We aren't 12. Seeing texts and emails full of shortcuts and alternate spellings is hard to take seriously.
    01-01-13 05:30 PM
    I can sort of understand "SMS shorthand" when used with SMS as there are character limitations. Twitter is funny because people such as journalists who normally write really well are forced to use SMS shorthand thanks to character limitations and end up writing like a 16 year old school girl asking her friend how drunk she got last night.

My big worry is the BlackBerry users who are still with the brand simply due to the ease of text editing. Face it, most work-issued Curve models are boring phones. If the trackpad makes text editing easy and your job requires lots of text editing, then the BB is the best choice. Losing this just makes the platform less appealing.

I have a Torch. I can use the keyboard when it's cold out and I'm wearing gloves. I can use the trackpad when I'm wearing gloves. I don't have to tap the screen to use the phone. Business users dressed in a nice business suit aren't going to ditch their leather gloves for capacitive friendly gloves.

BB10: One thumb... one thumb!! (Unless you're wearing gloves).

RIM is too focused on touch vs. QWERTY as an INPUT method, but I think they're losing sight of how the text EDITING capabilities are significantly enhanced by the trackpad.

On-screen trackpad? Meh, that just wastes space on the screen and still requires bare fingers.
    01-01-13 07:49 PM
    Does anyone know if it might be possible to put the 10 operating system on an older trackpad devise? I personally felt the physical hardware aspect of the torch design was perfect
    01-01-13 11:08 PM
    No, you can't put BB10 on older phones.

I love the Torch slider, but it seems that it's quite disliked by most for some strange reason.
    01-01-13 11:45 PM
    I've actually had to give up getting the Qwerty blackberry because of the fact that it doesnt have a trackpad.
    I think the trackpad was probably one of the most important parts of the qwerty BB's when it came to typing. Most people wonder how I am able to type so quickly with my 9930(when I had it) because i was able to copy and paste things so freaking fast.
    01-02-13 11:10 AM
    Things like this may be the downfal of BB10 Everyone will go back to curves and bolds. The Z10 looks like the only decent one.
    01-02-13 12:05 PM
    Granted, I'm not one who used the track pad too much, if at all when I had my Torch, but it was good to know that the option was there; there was an added dimension to BB devices with the track pad that helped make it aesthetically pleasing to the eye, as well as convenient for times when it was necessary. This is why I feel like RIM has begun to abandon us as its products loyal user base, in an effort to try and play catch up by trying to sway customers on the other 2 platforms. Well, I fear that it isn't going to work, because Apple people are loyal to the iPhone, and invested in the whole ecosystem, while Android people will not give up on the big and getting bigger screens, the spec-rich phones, and the overall openness of the Android OS, with the very easy integration that they offer. It is pretty convenient, knowing that all you have to do is sign in to your Google account, and you're basically all set.

But what Android folks fail to realize is that just because it's easy, doesn't necessarily mean it's good. And just because they boast having so many free apps in the Google Play store (a lot of which are cheap rip-offs of apps on iPhone), doesn't mean that they're good, when they're developed in a half-assed manner. And most of the apps that come on Android pre-installed on the phones, as well as any carrier bloatware, are hardly ever used.

It is for this reason that I decided to come back to BB and the QWERTY keyboard, because it actually fits a NEED for me. But it doesn't feel good to think that RIM has done a half-assed job on their QWERTY device, trying to appeal to the "masses" with their own full touch phone. Will I be getting one? Sure. But the option of getting a Bold 9900 is still out there.
    01-02-13 12:55 PM
134 ... 23456