I had my Q10 now since ~a week and experienced this problem on a regular basis:

in order to produce special characters ("umlauts" like �, � etc., not $ or &), I got used to push and hold the "basic" key (e.g. "A") and select the corresponding umlaut ("�") from the action bar that usually pops up. I'm ok with that method.

However, from time to time, with no obvious reason, the action bar refuses to pop up. I can do whatever I like, nothing happens. I even rebooted the device with no success. This is maddening, as there is no other easy way to produce umlauts. I do not like to use word correction and have turned this feature off.

After hours of trial and error, and almost wanting to dump my Q10 due to frustration, I found the following workaround:

press Alt-Enter to switch to the alternative language. Then press it again to switch back to standard language. And surprisingly, the action bar will show up again.

So far, I have not found any reason for this problem to occur. Neither did I switch to another language with no or different special characters, nor did I conscioulsy perform any other strange action on the Q10 that might have caused this.

So I consider that as a bug - please BB fix in the next version! It is increadibly annoying, despite the workaround.

Otherwise, I like the Q10 a lot, definitely a keeper.
    05-18-13 07:23 AM
    Good catch! Thanks for the tip!
    05-28-13 11:57 AM