E. When you are finished learning how this all works, go out and learn something else new. It's the only way to a complete life.
    Thanks for your patronizing comments. I support computer systems for a living, have been for over 20 years now. Have even helped edit some books on the subject. I'm not stupid about technology or "new things" - I absorb them every single day. This particular technology has a lot of flaws, and that is coming from someone who gets constant cr*p around here from people who assume I'm some sort of wide-eyed Blackberry fanboi.

Next.
    FF22, Tavro and 2cats1dog like this.
    04-28-13 07:07 AM
    Web pages are actually the easiest place to select text and i wish all areas worked like this:

Tap and hold text, first word is selected, keep holding and then the paragraph will auto select, keep holding and then the next paragraph auto selects, keep holding and then the next paragraph auto selects.. and so on. Lift finger when done selecting and tap the highlighted text to bring up the menu, then choose copy.

Try it, it is easy as pie.

Yeah.. from the ZED on CB10
    I completely agree that this should be implemented across the whole OS (as opposed to just the browser). Its elegance is probably only bettered by a trackpad.

However, it does sound like BlackBerry have much improved cursor placement & control in OS 10.1 so I'll reserve further comment until I've tried it for myself. Hopefully it will work as well as people are suggesting.
    04-28-13 07:53 AM
    great idea ! i was thinking the same thing today when i was laying in bed sideways holding my 9900 with one hand, replying an email, i wen to my notes, with the track pad anchored the selection spot, pressed alt, smoothly and accurately selected the sentence, pressed menu, copy, hovered to the mail app and paste, menu send ! all with one hand in 15 secs.
    2cats1dog likes this.
    04-28-13 08:47 AM
    A. Your lame carrier has you on a very old OS version. This is unfortunate, but not BlackBerrys fault. All I can say is, once you learn how it works, even on 10.0.9.xxx it simply works.

B. You don't have to tap the actual circle, inside the circle on the correct side (or top/bottom) of the letter works fine.

C. Pincushions near the top? Simply scroll up on line past the place you want to select and then back down to the place, I do find it accurate.

D. Wait for 10.1 and see what other new improvements there will be.

E. When you are finished learning how this all works, go out and learn something else new. It's the only way to a complete life.

Lol, let's hope you're joking.
    Nowt to do with learning, the text selection is just screwed at the moment.
    04-28-13 09:46 AM
    I haven't tried a q10 at all, unlike some of you lucky folks, but from using a galaxy s3 for a while, I can say if all I had added to the current method of cut and copy were that little circle to move one space at a time, I would be very happy. That would make it much easier to select exactly what I wanted compared to what I have now. It happens so often that I can slide the little selector bars to where I want but as soon as I lift my thumb, it jumps a space left or right. It's such a pain. Be happy with that circle tapping.
    04-28-13 10:36 AM
    I haven't tried a q10 at all, unlike some of you lucky folks, but from using a galaxy s3 for a while, I can say if all I had added to the current method of cut and copy were that little circle to move one space at a time, I would be very happy. That would make it much easier to select exactly what I wanted compared to what I have now. It happens so often that I can slide the little selector bars to where I want but as soon as I lift my thumb, it jumps a space left or right. It's such a pain. Be happy with that circle tapping.

Actually text selection using my own Android tablet (Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich) is much more predictable/reliable than on my Z10, though one should probably consider the facts that the screen is much larger and my Z10 is on the ancient 10.0.9.x Verizon build, which I think is probably the buggiest one out there when it comes to text editing.
    04-28-13 06:16 PM
    Lol, let's hope you're joking.
    Nowt to do with learning, the text selection is just screwed at the moment.
    Nope, no joke, it works..

04-28-13 07:50 PM
    I myself always use trackpad on my Bold 9900 not only for selecting text but also clicking to small links, click to where I need to edit text and scroll the small screen up/down without obstructing it by my finger when reading something.
    Last edited by tarmpung; 04-29-13 at 09:10 AM.
    04-29-13 12:03 AM
    I think a cool way to do text selection would be to hold down S (for select) with your left thumb, then use your right thumb to Select whatever you want, then release and it's selected. Then a Scissors and Copy and Cancel icon would appear, and you pick which one you want to do. Much easier than how it is on the Z10 and it takes advantage of the physical keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 03:52 AM
    My turn,

Another solution would be to add a virtual track pad

Posted via CB10
    2cats1dog likes this.
    04-29-13 03:59 AM
    Here's my take on a missing track-pad....

I've used BlackBerry phones for years and my current Bold I've got it for three years now. Best work phone ever.
    I do lots of writing and particularly lots of copy/paste and I love the track-pad for selecting text. When the Z10 came out I purchased one and had to return it next day specifically because problem I had selecting text. If the Q10 has the same text-selecting method than the Z10 then I will keep using my Bold forever.

My advise to BlackBerry: Please come up with a Q11 phone that is identical to the Bold, same feel, same track-ball, same return/back key and of course with updated OS.

Thanks for noticing.

Regards,

Dion Duran
    email: [email protected]
    07-22-13 11:04 PM
    To update my previous posts here:

Now that I have installed a newer leaked OS version on my Verizon Z10, I see the minor improvement that was made to the "edit circle".

What was far more significant to me (and to a number of other people, according to the feedback I've read so far) is that the latest OS 10.1.0.4xxx series leaks such as version 10.1.0.4543 that I have installed, have seemingly made a large leap in terms of the keyboard's accuracy.

On my Verizon OS build, it seemed like it was constantly mis-sensing the physical position of my fingertips on the onscreen character keys. Not only is the onscreen keyboard on this version much better in that regard, it uses a larger typeface for the above-key "word suggestions" (making them easier to see), and the word suggestions in general seem to be much more accurate.

Perhaps even more interestingly, someone has actually created a BB10 app which appears to operate quite similiarly to what Tavro described in the first post of this thread. I have not personally tried it yet, but I'm curious what others think of it. It is probably significantly limited by the fact it is not embedded in the OS, but still could come in handy:

BlackBerry World - TrackPad Editor
    07-22-13 11:54 PM
37 12