Hi everyone,

I'd appreciate some advice/input from those familiar with the Q10 (and maybe Q5) on my particular situation:

A while ago I got a Z10 in order to try the Blackberry 10 OS and ended up really liking it, apart from the battery life. I was always curious to try BB10 on a keyboard device and so when the opportunity came up to get a very good deal on a new Q5 (such that I would be able to sell it at an insignificant loss), I bought one. The idea was to use it to try out BB10 in the hardware keyboard format and, if I preferred it, sell the Q5 and buy a Q10, which I preferred for its superior camera, nicer look and feel, keyboard etc.

At first I was shocked at the reduction in screen real estate and went running back to my Z10, but after a little while I gave the Q5 another go and have been using it as my daily driver for a few days now. I've gotten used to the reduction in screen size and am loving the shorter format (makes it so much more pocketable and nicer to hold), battery life, hardware keyboard and shortcuts. I think I'm sold on the BB10 / hardware keyboard combo and so now I should be selling the Q5 on and ordering my Q10... except for two things:

1. I'm really surprised how nice the Q5 is and how much I like it; a bit plasticky maybe but utterly solid, with a good screen and keyboard (though I think I still marginally prefer the action of the Q10 keyboard).
    2. I've read the horror stories about double-typing Q10 keyboards on here and it's really quite worrying me.

What do you guys think? Should I get the Q10? Is double-typing still a problem with new devices?

BTW: I'm not really bothered about the return of the toolbelt and want a small device so waiting for the Classic is not really appropriate advice (interesting though it and the Passport undoubtedly are).

Thanks for your advice!
    08-01-14 03:55 PM
    The Q10 is great. Mine has been flawless. It's such an upgrade from a Q5. Here in the US, the price difference between the two was $50 when I got mine. It was a no-brainer.

Q10: SQN 100-5 v. 10.2.1.2102
    anon(8644579) likes this.
    08-01-14 03:58 PM
    The Q10 is great. Mine has been flawless. It's such an upgrade from a Q5. Here in the US, the price difference between the two was $50 when I got mine. It was a no-brainer.

Q10: SQN 100-5 v. 10.2.1.2102
    Thanks for responding. What makes it such a significant upgrade, from your point of view? I was expecting it to be a no-brainer too, but am surprised how nice the Q5 is now I've actually used one.
    08-01-14 04:33 PM
    Wait for BlackBerry classic is my advice to you unless you have an issue with the toolbelt, the classic will have the beloved hardware keyboard and a larger screen

Posted via CB10 for BlackBerry Q10
    08-01-14 04:49 PM
    I'd recommend the Q10 for the difference in speed, which will be noticeable.

I'd recommend the Q10 for the difference in the display sharpness on the Q10 compared to the Q5, this also is noticeable.

I'd recommend the Q10 for the storage difference and the ability to use an external battery... coupled with the power of the Q10 battery.

I'd recommend the Q10 for the typing, the keyboard is good on the Q5, but it's just GREAT on the Q10.

And lastly, the Q10 has more dark theme settings (ie: the system settings and device manager are dark / black on the Q10).

Overall, the Q10 is a far superior device to the Q5.

I'm speaking from experience as I have a Q5 I use for work (soon to be replaced with a Q10) and a personal Q10 work horse.

Posted via my sexy all black Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.3247
    cgallaer and anon(8644579) like this.
    08-01-14 05:22 PM
    Thanks for the responses and for the detailed feedback moyah8.

Today I had a play with a live Q10 in a shop (one of very few remaining here stocking Blackberry) and now am actually a bit unsure which keyboard I prefer... so more confused than ever!
    08-02-14 07:11 AM
    I try to raise another voice here, the voice of concerns. I am not sure if the Q5 really is *that* much of an upgrade as some people are claiming.

Yes, the Q10 does have a faster CPU, however I don't know if the 20% lower raw-performance is actually noticeable in real life, especially daily tasks. Everytime I played around with a Q5 I barely noticed a difference and if there was one, it wasn't a deal breaker.

The screen of the Q5 should actually be sharper and brighter than the Q10 screen. The latter uses an AMOLED display with a pentile matrix, pentile decreases the effective ppi count. The Q5 on the other hand has a common LCD screen which utilizes the full effective ppi. Plus the screen has a higher brightness compared to the rather low one of that SuperAMOLED.

The keyboard of the Q5 isn't worse, it just is different. I actually almost tend to say I prefer the Q5s keyboard everytime I get to play with one in a store. However I've got one of the first Q10s and I heard they changed the keyboards in newer batches.

Where I really prefer the Q10 of course is looks and built-quality. Also the removeable battery is a big plus. In times where you can get high-capacity external batteries I think the bonus of having a removeable battery is almost reduced to pure maintenance reasons.

The OS has many AMOLED friendly dark themes, which comes handy for the Q10s display. I believe it should perform better in terms of battery lifetime if you enable dark themes on both devices. On LCD displays, it doesn't really matter too much whether they display white or black.

Of course the Q10 has a better camera, which for me is a huge plus.

Last but not least the internal memory. I do have a 32gig memory card installed and most of my stuff gets stored there. Of course if you use/install a lot of apps, especially some larger games, you can quickly run out of space on the Q5.

At the end of the day both are fine devices and I am pretty sure, depending on the preferences of each user, the Q5 is in multiple cases the better deal for your money. Instead of upgrading to a Q10 I'd rather have a look at the Classic later this year. The worst thing which could happen after waiting and deciding for the Q later on would be a lower price...

PS: Not every Q10 is suffering from the double-typing issues. The older year one models seem to be more prone to it compared to the more recent batches. Also users keep reportingtheir keyboard feels different after they got it replaced. However the problem returned to a few people even after they got the device back. There are also quite some day-one Q10 owners who have yet to face any double-typing issues at all.

Double-typed and posted with a BlackBerry Q10.
    anon(8644579) likes this.
    08-02-14 07:27 AM
    Just in case anyone was wondering how this ended: I've decided to stick with the Q5. I really like the phone and, after some use, think I actually prefer its keyboard to the Q10. I'd like the camera upgrade that the Q10 offers but don't want to have to worry about potential double-typing or loose battery cover issues. I also appreciate the Q5's roomier bezel under the screen for the swipe-up gestures.

Thanks to those who contributed advice.
    08-06-14 06:14 PM
    You are better off waiting for Passport and/or the classic devices.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    08-06-14 06:27 PM
    I had both. Q10 for battery life and storage alone

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296
    08-06-14 06:31 PM
    You should wait for the 2 new qwerty devices. Passport and Classic.

via Q10
    08-07-14 12:19 AM
    Just in case anyone was wondering how this ended: I've decided to stick with the Q5. I really like the phone and, after some use, think I actually prefer its keyboard to the Q10. I'd like the camera upgrade that the Q10 offers but don't want to have to worry about potential double-typing or loose battery cover issues. I also appreciate the Q5's roomier bezel under the screen for the swipe-up gestures.

Thanks to those who contributed advice.
    Good choice I think. Maybe you can take a look at the newer QWERTY phones later this year, which would be more interesting for an upgrade.

Double-typed and posted with a BlackBerry Q10.
    08-07-14 02:48 AM
    Either get a Q10, or wait for the Passport and Classic to arrive. Can't go wrong with either one of these devices. I love my Q10, it's awesome.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-14 07:21 PM
    For the price they're going for these days, brand new, it's a no brainer. The Q10 is the acme of the PB BlackBerry handset! And the battery life is superb. That plus a replaceable battery... typing and messaging bliss!

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 12:24 PM
    Here's a review of the Q10 that I read and watched today.
    http://angeloftech.com/blackberry-q1...s-it-any-good/

This review came out when there was only OS10 running on the phones.
    With the exception of her comments about the battery (she obviously had a bad phone) the review provides a lot of information on the Q10 and is, in my opinion, very fair.
    08-24-14 11:25 PM
    You should wait for the 2 new qwerty devices. Passport and Classic.

via Q10
    Really? I don't see how the Passport will sell better than the Q10. For some reason, a round phone seems a better fitting in my hand than a square one. With the classic, I don't see how the "scroll button" will actually be useful together with the touch screen. But hey, personal preferences are always an opinion right !
    08-24-14 11:40 PM
    Wait for a Passport/Classic.

The Q10 was released in May 2013, it has old technology inside of it. Looking at the long term, it is obvious that BlackBerry will not support the Q10 as long as it will the Classic or Passport. The classic will have the same sort of interface (but improved). It may cost more at launch but in the long run be worth it.

You will not see much performance upgrade in the Q10 if you're coming form a Q5. You might even like the Q5 LCD screen better than the Q10 OLED screen.. Just a thought.

Posted via SQN100-3
    08-25-14 12:20 AM