Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 99
Like Tree20Likes
  1. revaddict's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    121 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Should I go to Q10 from iPhone 5S?

    Has anyone here gone from iPhone to a Q10? I had BB in the past but went to iPhone and I'm thinking about switching back with my next phone. Any advice from anyone who has done this?
    JesseBabe23 likes this.
  2. nairdaotnatus's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    194 Posts
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    no, you should go to Z30

    Z30 STA100-2/10.2.1.3253
    fcch and saxxman like this.
  3. Carjackd's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    44,604 Posts
    Global Posts
    45,965 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    Or get a passport at the end of the month

    Posted Pantlessly via My Kick @ss Z30!!!
    957, 6210, 7230, 7100, 8130, 8700, 8300, 8800, 9000, 9800, 9900, Z10, Z30, Passport.....?
  4. IFCArea51's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    233 Posts
    PIN
    The Tail On The Donkey
    #4  

    Default

    Passport debuts in September. Not august.

    Posted via Q10.
    BlackBerry Q10 Running 10.3.1.1151
    |...........................T-Mobile......................|
  5. CTU2fan's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    229 Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Really depends on what you like/dislike about the 5S vs. Q10. For example if you don't really miss a physical keyboard you might rather a Z30. But if you want to go back to buttons then sure, why not go Q10.

    Posted via CB10
  6. k0sld's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    70 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    I just did that 3 months ago. 5s to Q10. I initially planned to use the q10 on Wifi only just to play with bb10. But, about a week or two later I moved my sim and last week I sold my 5s. Would everyone do that. Probably not. The 5s was care free as far as os updates or getting the latest app. The q10 requires me to get the os updates and load them myself since att isn't pushing out current bb10 updates. But, the 5s was the first of the 3 iphones I had that just could live with. I loved my 3gs and 4s. The 5s was pretty much a piece of junk (or at least the two that I went through). If my calls wouldn't have hung on. both 5s's that I had I might have never tried the 10. I kept the 5s for about 8 or 9 month so I gave it a fair shot. I love my q10 but would I recommend it for everyone, no. When I hear someone talking about hating the touch screen is when I think they might like a Q.

    Posted via CB10
    Thanked by:
    fabio984 (08-26-2014) 
  7. bradp56's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    11 Posts
    #7  

    Default

    I just did the same thing. To me I text and email all day for work, I need a keyboard I cant stand touch typing.
  8. smitty1077's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    322 Posts
    #8  

    Default

    If you want a physical keyboard, then by all means definitely get the Q10. However, the Z30 is the way to go if you want a touch screen. It's a phenomenal phone.

    Posted from my BlackBerry Z30
    BlackBerry Z10 + BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB
  9. revaddict's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    121 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

    Default

    I've gotten used to a touch screen since having iPhone, but I really do like a physical keyboard, so I wouldn't have an issue there.

    What about syncing Q10 with Microsoft Outlook--especially Outlook 2013? I was so upset when I found out that iPhone doesn't sync with the Outlook calendar. Does BB still do that?
  10. MB64's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,252 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,337 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B04B9A9
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by revaddict View Post
    I've gotten used to a touch screen since having iPhone, but I really do like a physical keyboard, so I wouldn't have an issue there.

    What about syncing Q10 with Microsoft Outlook--especially Outlook 2013? I was so upset when I found out that iPhone doesn't sync with the Outlook calendar. Does BB still do that?
    Since you currently use you iPhone let me ask you a Question, as of yesterday I was able to send PM's from my CB app on my ipod, this morning it doesn't give me that option. Is it the same on ur iPhone?

    Posted via CB10
  11. UnlimitedEra's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,491 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,504 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    I'd wait for the passport. Honestly I will upgrade my z10 to passport when released.

    Via CB10 on Z10STL100-2/10.3.0.296
  12. JesseBabe23's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    23 Posts
    #12  

    Default

    I actually switched from an iPhone 5 to a Q10. If you absolutely LOVE the Q10 and can't wait for the Classic or the Passport, than I say get it now, but if you can, then I would wait. I really do love the physical keyboard, the battery life, and the blinking light. Can I just tell you how great it is to be able to get a fulls day use out of a phone without having to charge it more than once?

    What helped me decide on switching was looking at lots and lots of reviews on YouTube and reading tons of comments from other users who have done the same on here and other sites.
    Iblamesummers likes this.
  13. Dmunz's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    3 Posts
    #13  

    Default

    I also just switched from an iPhone 5 to a Q10. There were a lot of tings I liked about the iPhone but none of them were really work related. I really needed good calendar function (Office 2010 works just fine, not sure about 2013...), I missed the LED (I jumped from a 9100 to the iPhone) and wanted better battery life. Now that I've been typing on the keyboard, I can hardly use the iPhone - it seems too narrow!

    There are a couple of disappointments though. Night Mode in IOS is better than Bedside Mode in that you can allow favorites to call through and not have call all or nothing. There is also no Concur app for OS10 and they are not actively working on it. The personal and work partitions are odd. Everything seems to work across them so I'm not sure of the value there (if you are on BES or whatever it is called.)

    All things considered I'm happy with the change. We will see in a couple of months when I have an upgrade open and there has been some experience with the new iPhones.

    FWIW
    DLM

    .
  14. ioan_calin's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    76 Posts
    #14  

    Default

    No.
    Iblamesummers likes this.
  15. stefanbechen's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    53 Posts
    #15  

    Default

    I guess you already made up your mind on what apps you need(!) and what you might miss on a BB10 device.
    So the question is more whether or not you want to have a phy. keyboard or a larger screen. I like the form factor of the Q10 and may move to a Classic once it is released. The Passport looks great but a bit too large for me.

    HTH
    Thanked by:
    jodirt (08-12-2014) 
  16. Bsbudd's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    163 Posts
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    #16  

    Default

    I just switched back to a Q10 from a Nexus 4. I can't handle typing on a virtual keyboard anymore. So, if you feel like me you've answered your question.
  17. Velocitymj's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    119 Posts
    #17  

    Default

    I own both. They're both great phones, it just depends upon what you're looking for.
    I rarely use the iPhone because the Q10 is a better phone for my business use.
    Here are my pros and cons on each:
    The Q10 is faster to use and has one touch speed dialing, which the iPhone lacks.
    On the Q10 you don't have to leave an app to open another one.
    On the iPhone it's easier to answer a call or hang up if you're using an app during a phone call.
    The predictive writing on the Q10 easily bests the iPhone.
    The iPhone's Seri blows away BlackBerry OS10's "Voice Control" (which is joke because it works so poorly).
    We can now load Android apps, but not all and they don't load as quickly as iPhone apps.
    The iPhone has call blocking and spam blocking built in. The Q10 has doesn't and there aren't any 3rd party apps for these features.
    The iPhone has a larger screen and if you're a media person, that can be the deal maker.
    The Q10 is much more rugged than the iPhone.
    The Q10's battery life used to be unbelievable, because it lasted all day with heavy usage. But at the moment that is not the case, due to the recent OS updates (but we have hope for the return of that phenomenon).
    If you own other Apple products, the iPhone integrates with all of it (like Apple TV).
    None of the BlackBerry phones integrate with other home use products.
    Website | Google+ | Twitter
    BBM PIN: 2B7BFD34
    Thanked by 2:
    BullGuard8 (08-07-2014),  fabio984 (08-26-2014) 
    Dog5000 likes this.
  18. meagvg's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    58 Posts
    #18  

    Default

    I use both a 5s and Q10 and switch often, depending on my specific needs. Here's my take...

    Assuming you're familiar with the iPhone, there's no point in pounding the table regarding comparisons of available apps for the two phones. Prior to 10.2, I sideloaded whatever I needed, but with the updates and leaks, I've found Snap perfectly suitable for the majority of apps that are necessary on a modern smartphone. The Android apps work well, but there are compromises. I'm not entirely comfortable without granular control of permissions, so I've strictly limited my Android apps. I hope they can sort this in 10.3

    For my use, this results in a somewhat "muted" smartphone experience on the Q10. At this point, there is very little you can not accomplish on a Q10, as long as you're willing to deal with the lack of flow an integrated hardware/os like iOS offers. The blending of Android ports with native BB10 apps results in a disjointed feel to the overall use of the phone. Anyone who has used an iPhone knows the apps are polished, consistent in look and behavior and are frequently updated.

    For example, I know that when I open my Kindle app on the Q10, I'll have about a 20 second wait before the app is completely ready to use. Whereas on the 5s, the program is up and open in about 5 seconds. Other Android apps behave similarly, but to varying degrees. Screen size and port adaptation is another area where you'll find it necessary to comprise. Not every app is formatted well for the Q10. Usable, sure, but not ideal.

    How much time do I spend using my Kindle on a phone? Not much. But that's me and not a dealbreaker. For someone else, particularly one who isn't a BB fan, it could be the difference between using the phone and putting it a drawer.

    Typing is pleasure on the Q10. But I've been using a BB PKB for years, and this phone is without a doubt one of BB's finest. I've also used every iPhone since the 4, and still find myself struck by this bizarre, low level anxiety when I have to compose a reply consisting of anything more than a quick and terse reply. Many of my colleagues if asked, admit to the same weird feeling.

    I think it's because using the iPhone keyboard requires attention, both to what you input as well as autocorrection's interpretation of your intent. While I find the 5s too narrow to hold comfortably, the physical dimensions of the Q10, at least in my hands, is perfectly suited for thumb typing. There is physical effort involved with pushing keys, no way around that. Although I'm not as fast on the Q10, I'm more relaxed and accurate. And there's an intangible enjoyment that's difficult to describe and certainly (if judging by PKB sales) not shared by the majority of today's users.

    I'm on Verizon. For me, in my area, signal strength and voice clarity is superior on the Q10. I periodically compare dB on both phones, and almost without exception, the Blackberry will pull a signal that's at least 10 points stronger. If you use a phone as a phone (as I do) this is important. But this is "old news" to BB users. There are 3 iPhones and 3 BB phones in my home, and the Blackberrys always have signal and never drop a call. The iPhones are hit and miss. Always have been.

    When I'm on the iPhone, I frequently miss various texts/emails/alerts. The notification system on the iPhone is surely elegant and greatly improved, but I'm not always three feet from my phone. I'm in healthcare, and can not carry the phone in a pocket when working. I've yet to find anything better than a small blinking light (customized with a third party app) to let me know a message has hit the phone. Although it's not difficult, continually pressing the home or power button the iPhone to see whether I've received a notification is a small, yet tangible annoyance.

    Regarding email, calendar, etc I sync Outlook perfectly with both phones. I use a couple IMAP servers and hosted Exchange. Pure Activsync is faster for calendar updates and mail sync on the iPhone. On the Q10 the Exchange information is populated through a BES, so takes a few minutes longer to sync. Speed of email delivery is equivalent on both phones, perhaps a second faster on the BB when going through the BES account. In order to push IMAP email (not Gmail) to my iPhone, I use a third party solution that essentially creates an exchange account on the iPhone which is then pushed, rather than polled. At $30/year/account, this may not be a solution for everyone.

    Just returned from a vacation, and used the iPhone for the superior maps, locations services (Yelp, etc) when visiting a strange city. Using the Q10 in such a situation is almost painful. Can you do it? Sure. But the iPhone simply excels when it comes to mapping, directions and location siting.

    Back to work this week. And have reactivated the Q10. Because in the end, it's what I prefer.

    Hope this helps.
    Thanked by:
    Naeg1995 (08-06-2014) 
  19. cartoon2007's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    219 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meagvg View Post
    I use both a 5s and Q10 and switch often, depending on my specific needs. Here's my take...

    Assuming you're familiar with the iPhone, there's no point in pounding the table regarding comparisons of available apps for the two phones. Prior to 10.2, I sideloaded whatever I needed, but with the updates and leaks, I've found Snap perfectly suitable for the majority of apps that are necessary on a modern smartphone. The Android apps work well, but there are compromises. I'm not entirely comfortable without granular control of permissions, so I've strictly limited my Android apps. I hope they can sort this in 10.3

    For my use, this results in a somewhat "muted" smartphone experience on the Q10. At this point, there is very little you can not accomplish on a Q10, as long as you're willing to deal with the lack of flow an integrated hardware/os like iOS offers. The blending of Android ports with native BB10 apps results in a disjointed feel to the overall use of the phone. Anyone who has used an iPhone knows the apps are polished, consistent in look and behavior and are frequently updated.

    For example, I know that when I open my Kindle app on the Q10, I'll have about a 20 second wait before the app is completely ready to use. Whereas on the 5s, the program is up and open in about 5 seconds. Other Android apps behave similarly, but to varying degrees. Screen size and port adaptation is another area where you'll find it necessary to comprise. Not every app is formatted well for the Q10. Usable, sure, but not ideal.

    How much time do I spend using my Kindle on a phone? Not much. But that's me and not a dealbreaker. For someone else, particularly one who isn't a BB fan, it could be the difference between using the phone and putting it a drawer.

    Typing is pleasure on the Q10. But I've been using a BB PKB for years, and this phone is without a doubt one of BB's finest. I've also used every iPhone since the 4, and still find myself struck by this bizarre, low level anxiety when I have to compose a reply consisting of anything more than a quick and terse reply. Many of my colleagues if asked, admit to the same weird feeling.

    I think it's because using the iPhone keyboard requires attention, both to what you input as well as autocorrection's interpretation of your intent. While I find the 5s too narrow to hold comfortably, the physical dimensions of the Q10, at least in my hands, is perfectly suited for thumb typing. There is physical effort involved with pushing keys, no way around that. Although I'm not as fast on the Q10, I'm more relaxed and accurate. And there's an intangible enjoyment that's difficult to describe and certainly (if judging by PKB sales) not shared by the majority of today's users.

    I'm on Verizon. For me, in my area, signal strength and voice clarity is superior on the Q10. I periodically compare dB on both phones, and almost without exception, the Blackberry will pull a signal that's at least 10 points stronger. If you use a phone as a phone (as I do) this is important. But this is "old news" to BB users. There are 3 iPhones and 3 BB phones in my home, and the Blackberrys always have signal and never drop a call. The iPhones are hit and miss. Always have been.

    When I'm on the iPhone, I frequently miss various texts/emails/alerts. The notification system on the iPhone is surely elegant and greatly improved, but I'm not always three feet from my phone. I'm in healthcare, and can not carry the phone in a pocket when working. I've yet to find anything better than a small blinking light (customized with a third party app) to let me know a message has hit the phone. Although it's not difficult, continually pressing the home or power button the iPhone to see whether I've received a notification is a small, yet tangible annoyance.

    Regarding email, calendar, etc I sync Outlook perfectly with both phones. I use a couple IMAP servers and hosted Exchange. Pure Activsync is faster for calendar updates and mail sync on the iPhone. On the Q10 the Exchange information is populated through a BES, so takes a few minutes longer to sync. Speed of email delivery is equivalent on both phones, perhaps a second faster on the BB when going through the BES account. In order to push IMAP email (not Gmail) to my iPhone, I use a third party solution that essentially creates an exchange account on the iPhone which is then pushed, rather than polled. At $30/year/account, this may not be a solution for everyone.

    Just returned from a vacation, and used the iPhone for the superior maps, locations services (Yelp, etc) when visiting a strange city. Using the Q10 in such a situation is almost painful. Can you do it? Sure. But the iPhone simply excels when it comes to mapping, directions and location siting.

    Back to work this week. And have reactivated the Q10. Because in the end, it's what I prefer.

    Hope this helps.
    great write-up

    Posted via CB/Q10
  20. buckwylder's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,171 Posts
    PIN
    27EE1588
    #20  

    Default

    Yes, you should. Q10 is awesome.

    Posted via CB10
    -------------------------------------
    why did my signature disappear?
  21. zocster's Avatar

    Posts
    9,677 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,434 Global Posts
    PIN
    changes way too often
    #21  

    Default

    As a few already said here, it depends on your use. If you're not much into social media and other hipster apps, then BlackBerry 10 is for you. Like me, I get by with what I use on social media. I don't play games on my phone.

    Sent from pin:2AD743B7 via Tapatalk Pro


    Community Rules & Guidelines | Marketplace Rules & Guidelines
    Passport PIN: 2BDD6F5F | Note 3 PIN: 7F4337AD

    Velocitymj likes this.
  22. revaddict's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    121 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meagvg View Post
    I use both a 5s and Q10 and switch often, depending on my specific needs. Here's my take...


    Regarding email, calendar, etc I sync Outlook perfectly with both phones.

    Thanks for the thorough comparison!

    One question: you mentioned Outlook. Which version of Outlook do you sync with?
  23. meagvg's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    58 Posts
    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by revaddict View Post
    Thanks for the thorough comparison!

    One question: you mentioned Outlook. Which version of Outlook do you sync with?
    Thanks for reading my wall of text...

    I use Outlook for Mac 2011 on a desktop and laptop.
  24. MB64's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,252 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,337 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B04B9A9
    #24  

    Default

    I got rid of my Q for a Z10 and now I got rid of my Z10 for an iPhone. First time with an iPhone and I don't like it too much. But after 10+ years with bb OS, I guess that's expected. Looking to go back to ANY blackberry 10 device.


    Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
  25. lustekarlis's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    159 Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Get a Z30 then. Should be a great upgrade.

    Posted via CB10
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Need help Restoring my Z30 from 10.3 to 10.2.1
    By i_danny in forum BlackBerry 10 OS
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-22-2014, 11:01 PM
  2. Cannot copy files to device, permission required
    By Patrick Dubs Watt in forum BlackBerry Q10
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-27-2014, 11:48 AM
  3. Is there a way for me to group songs into genres
    By stev5a in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-14-2014, 05:55 AM
  4. Stolen Iphone
    By CrackBerry Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-14-2014, 05:55 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-04-2014, 02:55 PM

Posting Permissions