My main device has been an iPhone 5 since it came out and before that every single generation of iPhones. Because I got bored of iOS I picked up the Z10 in march and gave it a 30 day long chance. At the end I had to return it. I really liked the device, especially the BB10 OS. But the app situation and 30 day email limit while not being able to remotely search my imap server gave me no other choice.

Now I am back with the Q10 and BB 10.1. It is the first keyboard device since my nokia e61.

THE GOOD
    • Cosmetics
      The Q10 looks and feels really good. I prefer the smaller overall size compared to the Z10 which I found to be a bit too big. The height is similar to the iPhone 4, which was my favorite. The additional width is no problem for me either. For me it is the best looking keyboard device ever.
    • Keyboard
      Obviously this is the main selling point of the Q10 and probably the only reason most people would even consider this over the Z10 or any other device. I don't think I am actually typing faster on the hardware keyboard but I am definitely making less mistakes and don't have to rely on autocorrect and my recipients imagination to understand my writing. I will need a few weeks to decide if really benefit from using a hardware keyboard.
    • BB OS 10
      Just like on the Z10 I really enjoy the BB OS. The Hub, Active Frames and Swipe Gestures make this OS special. While iOS is easy to handle I prefer navigating through BB OS.

THE BAD
    • Display in sunlight
      I have never owned an AMOLED display before and while it looks great indoors I did not enjoy it at all outside in bright sunlight. Obviously all displays look bad in sunlight but on the Q10 I could not see anything at times. iPhone 1 to 5 and the Z10 are working a lot better in direct sunlight.
    • email fail
      I have mentioned before that the whole 30 day email and no server search on imap was the reason I ditched the Z10. Well sadly 10.1 did not change anything for me. On my imap account I still get 30 days of email without the ability to remotely search my server for older email. The BB Q10 is supposed to be a business phone and I expected it to be the best email device out there. I cannot understand how this isn't number 1 priority for BB to fix. Any android, windows 8 or iOS device can search for older email on an imap server.....
    • no app progress
      So I saw that skype arrived and was hoping the overall app situation improved a bit. I am not a big app user. I need whatsapp, facebook, skype, twitter, a banking app, news app and some sports apps. Whatsapp worked good on my Z10 and it works good on the Q10. It is still a bit light on the options but by far the best app out of the ones I need. Facebook, skype and twitter are horrible compared to their iOS version. I cannot really chat on facebook with the Q10. The fb messages in the hub appear like 30 minutes late. Two months have passed since I last used the Z10 and I really expected some progress in that area. There is still no usable banking app for my german bank account and none of the sports apps I have on my iPhone made it over to BB10.
    • iCloud sync
      This used to work quite good in 10.0.9 now with 10.1 I cannot get my icloud calendar to work at all. A bit of googling told me that I am not alone. I understand that iCloud is an apple product and I can't expect it to work flawlessly with BB. But icloud uses caldav and carddav and it used to work quite well.

CONCLUSION

The Q10 is a great looking device and I prefer its smaller footprint compared to the Z10 and all the other huge touchscreen devices. The physical keyboard is a joy to type on. Sadly BB OS 10.1 is not ready for me yet. If I'd trust BB enough to fix those obvious problems I would probably hold on to the Q10 and just wait a bit. But since they did not fix the email issue in the last 5 months, I seriously doubt they will ever do so. I really hope I am wrong though and that BB does well in the future (I do own some stocks). Maybe if the Z10 and Q10 sell well the app situation will improve. But as a customer I can't be expected to live with 30 days of email and no calendar sync (iCloud). Only the toughest BB fans will go through that.
    I agree with u mate! There is smth else annoying abt the phone is when tipying a text using whatsapp u cannot continuously type it...u just have 2 tap the text box and then start tipying....! Quite annoying
    06-01-13 09:54 AM
    I have a question for Q10 owners who had or have 9900's.
    Do you find the screen as responsive to expanding / shrinking the web page vs the 9900 ?
    Do you find the text as sharp on the Q vs the 9900?
    How about screen sharpness on the Q vs the Z?

In the store I found that my 9900 was as good or better than the Q but definitely sharper than the Z. I found the Q screen less responsive than the 9900 or the Z. Gives me cause for concern. Thanks
    06-01-13 10:06 AM
    I have a question for Q10 owners who had or have 9900's.
    Do you find the screen as responsive to expanding / shrinking the web page vs the 9900 ?
    Do you find the text as sharp on the Q vs the 9900?
    How about screen sharpness on the Q vs the Z?

In the store I found that my 9900 was as good or better than the Q but definitely sharper than the Z. I found the Q screen less responsive than the 9900 or the Z. Gives me cause for concern. Thanks
    The 9900 screen has more clarity than the Q10 which is particularly noticeable outdoors (don't know about the Z10 though)

The whole Web thing on the Q10 is 100 times better than on the 9900.

I've been critical of the Q10, but I am gradually coming around to it. Give it another six months to straighten out all the little bugs and inconsistencies and it will be a great phone.
    06-01-13 10:25 AM
    I would agree with you on general terms but not all small companies (cases of partners I know) can apply an updated active sync... they just have to keep on going with POP...at least this is what their excuse is...

As long as POP is a possible solution to some, it should still be supported with more days limit options on the BB10 OS imo. BB has only things to win by doing that.
    I don't know of a single cheap or open source email server that doesn't support IMAP. POP3 has no place in the business environment. I won't even use it for personal accounts. Why would I choose to sift through emails I've already read on another device or not have synchronized sent items?

Someone complained that BB10 didn't have an auto bcc to self - sorry, these aren't Palm Pilot's folks. IMAP uploads sent items to your sent folder so they're in your sent folder on your phone, tablet and computer. Fully synchronized.

Ditch POP3 and go IMAP. You won't regret it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    06-01-13 10:29 PM
    Someone complained that BB10 didn't have an auto bcc to self - sorry, these aren't Palm Pilot's folks. IMAP uploads sent items to your sent folder so they're in your sent folder on your phone, tablet and computer. Fully synchronized.
    I'm not sure what you mean by the Palm Pilot comment. iOS 6 supports this. You may not use them, but lots of business people use folders extensively. I retain a copy of every message I send and file them in client folders. If I have to manually bcc myself every time I send a message, that's a complete PITA. My understanding is that you can't file messages from the sent folder, so even if you wanted to do that, you couldn't.

My 9930 would let me do this - why would they remove functionality in this way? Is it also missing if you're using ActiveSync or BB10 server?

Greg
    kevinnugent likes this.
    06-02-13 12:33 AM
    I'm not sure what you mean by the Palm Pilot comment. iOS 6 supports this. You may not use them, but lots of business people use folders extensively. I retain a copy of every message I send and file them in client folders. If I have to manually bcc myself every time I send a message, that's a complete PITA. My understanding is that you can't file messages from the sent folder, so even if you wanted to do that, you couldn't.

My 9930 would let me do this - why would they remove functionality in this way? Is it also missing if you're using ActiveSync or BB10 server?

Greg
    Any standard IMAP client can create folders on the server that are mirrored and synched on all clients and then file/move/copy messages between the folders. POP is simply a connect and download protocol. The Palm Pilot comment was that even the pre-Treo Palm phones had IMAP (meaning you didn't have to use that crude auto-bbc kludge as the sent items automatically go to sent on the server and can be filed from there if necessary) and using POP is very crude and antiquated by comparison. When you send from IMAP on your phone all that is sent is in the sent folder on all devices...likewise if you read and email on you phone it is marked as read on you laptop, etc.

From a business perspective POP is a huge risk. If an employee is downloading and deleting and using folders with POP then all that info in only on that device. If he or she loses it or becomes unavailable then that information can be lost.

With IMAP all those folders are on the server and accessible should there be a lost device or should something happen to that employee.

iOS, BB10, Android clients, etc all support IMAP. My message is to those on this thread who are still using POP to let them know there is a much better way.

06-02-13 06:05 AM
    My message is to those on this thread who are still using POP to let them know there is a much better way.
    I totally agree with that. I read your post to mean that auto BCC was some anachronistic practice that should have been left behind in the Palm Pilot days, so I was confused.

I still don't understand why they wouldn't support auto BCC, though, for users who are using ActiveSync or BB10 server, etc.

I have my device on preorder from VZW, and this may be a deal-stopper for me and a reason to send it back. I'm getting the Q10 for two reasons only (I'm going to be retaining my iPhone 5) - (a) the physical keyboard, and (b) more efficient handling of the 500-600 emails I send and receive daily. Having to type my name every time I send a message is less efficient than my i5 is and my 9930 was.

Greg
    06-02-13 08:32 AM
    While I do understand that the IMAP limitations are an issue, I don't really get the thing with iCloud. There are tones of other services out there that are based on standards and just work fine. Googles services most likely are even free for private use or at least not more expensive than the iCloud services. I'm quite confident BlackBerry will fix the 30day IMAP issue as they already did for ActiveSync. Apps also are still on the weakside, but it won't get better if everyone just dumpes the device instead of using it and letting the developers know. Battery life is pretty impressive. No other smartphone can beat it under compareable conditions and I've tested quite a few devices.

Posted on Q10
    06-02-13 11:42 AM
    I don't know of a single cheap or open source email server that doesn't support IMAP. POP3 has no place in the business environment. I won't even use it for personal accounts. Why would I choose to sift through emails I've already read on another device or not have synchronized sent items?

Ditch POP3 and go IMAP. You won't regret it.

I am not doubting the technical aspect as yo present it. The point is not how we see it though imo, but rather the fact that POP is still being used by people.
    I used to use POP myself until recently and had no problems with it whatsoever. I am now using active sync and am much much better off that is a fact.

But as long as it is a viable option (be it worse or better) and is in the phone supported email formats, BB should give users the possibility to work with it providing longer time spans of email on phone which currently sits at 30 days. If people did not use it anymore, it would not be in the phone. The practicality of these users' choice in selecting email sync setup protocols is another discussion, but since the option exists it should be implemented on a way to make it work for those that still use it, and great part of it is the 30 days limit being extended.

As for the auto BCC, I do not use it and I do not know why that user would need it to be there, but this is a personal preference of one user. It also has a very easy solution (BCC manual if necessary).

The 30 days limit on an email sync option though as is POP, while in use, cannot sit on a 30 days maximum time for on device storage. They include POP, they should make sure it gives the opportunity of longer life span on local storage I believe.
    06-03-13 04:36 AM
    I had a company email on Exchange Server and I am able to search on server (?)
    1. Select in Hub Exchange account
    2. Type in the search box
    3. Search on server appeared

Edit: Apologies, I see that search on IMAP server is the topic. Yes this is not working.
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by 1Criz; 06-03-13 at 06:38 AM.
    06-03-13 06:05 AM
    Yes but it searches only 60 day old email.

Sent from my Q10
    06-03-13 06:21 AM
    If it is being used for business, the user *should* have actual business email, calendar and contacts like Google business or Exchange. Both of which have infinite email history and search. Both of which have solid and nearly instant calendar and contact sync. If you want to use personal (free) cloud services, you should expect limitations.
    Lulz @ Business users either have "Google business or Exchange"!
    06-03-13 06:21 AM
    I don't understand how people can defend the email limitations. Every other OS offers IMAP remote search and BB made it clear with the launch of BB OS 10 that they also care about the none business market.
    I am in total agreement with you. I was out today and rolling on a conference call I needed to pull up an email from last Dec to get some details - but of course I couldn't. Previously on my Lumia 920 I could go back 2 years if needed to and pull up whatever it was that I needed.

Honestly Android, Apple and WP8 don't have any issue with this and I refer to emails all the time... might be returning the Z10 because of it.
    06-05-13 08:59 PM
    I am not doubting the technical aspect as yo present it. The point is not how we see it though imo, but rather the fact that POP is still being used by people.
    I used to use POP myself until recently and had no problems with it whatsoever. I am now using active sync and am much much better off that is a fact.

But as long as it is a viable option (be it worse or better) and is in the phone supported email formats, BB should give users the possibility to work with it providing longer time spans of email on phone which currently sits at 30 days. If people did not use it anymore, it would not be in the phone. The practicality of these users' choice in selecting email sync setup protocols is another discussion, but since the option exists it should be implemented on a way to make it work for those that still use it, and great part of it is the 30 days limit being extended.

As for the auto BCC, I do not use it and I do not know why that user would need it to be there, but this is a personal preference of one user. It also has a very easy solution (BCC manual if necessary).

The 30 days limit on an email sync option though as is POP, while in use, cannot sit on a 30 days maximum time for on device storage. They include POP, they should make sure it gives the opportunity of longer life span on local storage I believe.
    I use exchange, activesynch and can only go back 30 days. It's total b.s. and no reason for it.
    06-05-13 09:02 PM
    I'm quite confident BlackBerry will fix the 30day IMAP issue as they already did for ActiveSync.
    Posted on Q10
    ??? Really, when did they do that because I am on activesync and can only go back 30 days.
    06-05-13 09:03 PM
    With the BB 10.1 you can access your emails over Activesync beyond the mentioned 30 days. However with 10.0 you are still limited to the 30 days even with Activesync. Would be great for BlackBerry to go beyond the 30 days with IMAP too.

Posted on Q10
    06-09-13 08:46 AM
    I can synch ok. I have other issues with Z10. I really miss keyboard but do like 4g connection and ability to surf Internet when not in wifi areas. I've had z10 2 months and will try q10. Really miss original blackberry with fat keys. If all fails will go back to Torch which has usable keyboard and hope it gets upgraded to 4g. I've tried android phones, iPhones and windows phones. I'm a huge fan of blackberry email but it fails as PDA and phone. The new z10 improves bb as PDA aNd phone And web searcher, but fails for me on email because I can't type on virtual keyboards even though z10 best out there. Have love/hate thing with z10 and bb presently and I've used nothing but blackberries as primary device since they came out
    06-12-13 08:00 AM
    I always do that when travelling with the 9900, but haven't tried it with the Q10 yet. I will do tonight and let you know. However, it looks like the phone really shuts down when turned off as it completely restarts when turned on again (unlike the 9900 which is more of a deep sleep).

UPDATE: No, the alarm doesn't work when switched off - I kind of guessed it wouldn't as the shut down is like pulling the battery.

However, when in sleep mode with radio and WiFi switched on (but notifiyers off) the battery drops about 5% over a 7 hour period (signal strength in your area may result in different figures).

If you put it into 'plane safe mode' (radio and WiFi off) and then sleep, the battery drops about 1% over a 7 hour period, which is probably similar to 'off' on the 9900.

So there is a work around, but I hope they'll soon offer a sleep mode that effectively shuts the phone down, but with a quick wake-up.

I hope this helps.
    Was using 9800 and am looking for this sleep mode in the Q10 too, rather than having to shut it down completely......
    06-13-13 01:03 AM
    I can synch ok. I have other issues with Z10. I really miss keyboard but do like 4g connection and ability to surf Internet when not in wifi areas. I've had z10 2 months and will try q10. Really miss original blackberry with fat keys. If all fails will go back to Torch which has usable keyboard and hope it gets upgraded to 4g. I've tried android phones, iPhones and windows phones. I'm a huge fan of blackberry email but it fails as PDA and phone. The new z10 improves bb as PDA aNd phone And web searcher, but fails for me on email because I can't type on virtual keyboards even though z10 best out there. Have love/hate thing with z10 and bb presently and I've used nothing but blackberries as primary device since they came out
    You sure will LOVE the Q10!

Posted on Q10
    06-16-13 05:17 PM
144 ... 456