Not true .. just set up my wife's email on her z10 to forever for the retention and hit refresh. It's syncing all her emails now.. I just checked and it's pulled in emails from Feb 2012 and it's still going. I think this may be specific to certain protocols.

It is on her hotmail account and I'm running that latest leak 2342.. but I'm pretty sure that this option was available on 10.1
    Blackberry Z10 30 days email sync limit storage | BlackBerry Z10 case

30 day email sync limit is huge draw back my busin... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    05-26-13 08:35 PM
    Not true .. just set up my wife's email on her z10 to forever for the retention and hit refresh. It's syncing all her emails now.. I just checked and it's pulled in emails from Feb 2012 and it's still going. I think this may be specific to certain protocols.

It is on her hotmail account and I'm running that latest leak 2342.. but I'm pretty sure that this option was available on 10.1
    Thanks you for posting something completely rationale. We have the pretend "I own a BB10 device" brigade out tonight.
    05-26-13 08:45 PM
    Let's get the record straight here about the email initial retrival amounts cause I checked all the advanced options on the z10:

(1) POP3 - 30 days max
    (2) Gmail, Yahoo, IMAP - 90 days max.
    (3) MS Exchange Active Sync, Hotmail - Forever
    (4) Work Account - Unknown

This is what's available after 10.1
    currentodysseys likes this.
    05-26-13 09:33 PM
    Baloney! Q10 kills it in the battery department. I love mine, everything works great.
    05-26-13 10:57 PM
    That's why there is a market for developers to build apps - good apps. Use Blaq instead! and be happy
    Yeah I have to say, Blaq is excellent.
    05-27-13 01:49 AM
    Just to be clear, this 30 day email reconciliation issue only applies to one off IMAP accounts, and not email accounts run through google or exchange- is that correct?
    I don't have a google email so I can't help you on that but I can confirm that the exchange accounts keep the emails forever - but you do have to select it from Settings-Accounts-EditAccount-Advanced-SyncTimeFrame
    On my Z10 I also have a couple of IMAP email accounts and these only keep for 30 days. That suits me fine - if accessing old emails is that important then pay the small monthly fee and change them to exchange accounts.
    05-27-13 01:51 AM
    Let's get the record straight here about the email initial retrival amounts cause I checked all the advanced options on the z10:

(1) POP3 - 30 days max

When choosing IMAP I only get the option for 30 days not 90 as you state.

Being able to search the server is more important in my opinion.
    05-27-13 03:42 AM
    I agree with the OP, except that like others mentioned, battery life should be a pro.

Regarding all the problem with email/hub, it's a sign that BlackBerry has not fully evolved yet. Their tools were focused on large corporations using BES and they have a hard time delivering features consumers and SMEs have been using for years on other platforms. I'm hoping it's because they still didn't have time to implement everything they wanted.
    We need at least:
    - Remote search
    - Email identities
    - Encryption
    - Perfect Card/CalDav sync
    - CalDav Tasks
    - Forward as attachment

It really is frustrating to be so limited by a business device.
    05-27-13 04:41 AM
    POP and IMAP will get forever in a summer update
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ficial-800673/
    05-27-13 05:12 AM
    Just chiming in to support OP position that server search (IMAP) is far more important than >30 days on phone. Keeping 1-2 years of email on the phone is a waste, but when you need to find that one email from 14 months ago, server search can do it without taking phone storage space.
    05-27-13 05:45 AM

(1) POP3 - 30 days max

Only a fraction of people within my company use exchange....
    ...Everyone else is on a hosted pop3.

I've set up countless iphone's for people at the 3 stores and they have no problem pulling email after 30 days...
    ...Why is there this limit on BB10 still after 6 months if Blackberry could do something about it?
    05-27-13 08:47 AM
    POP and IMAP will get forever in a summer update
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ficial-800673/
    Can't come soon enough. Guess we'll have to keep hearing the moaning, and rightfully so I suppose.
    05-27-13 10:56 AM
    My main device has been an iPhone 5 since it came out and before that every single generation of iPhones. Because I got bored of iOS I picked up the Z10 in march and gave it a 30 day long chance. At the end I had to return it. I really liked the device, especially the BB10 OS. But the app situation and 30 day email limit while not being able to remotely search my imap server gave me no other choice.

Now I am back with the Q10 and BB 10.1. It is the first keyboard device since my nokia e61.

THE GOOD
    • Cosmetics
      The Q10 looks and feels really good. I prefer the smaller overall size compared to the Z10 which I found to be a bit too big. The height is similar to the iPhone 4, which was my favorite. The additional width is no problem for me either. For me it is the best looking keyboard device ever.
    • Keyboard
      Obviously this is the main selling point of the Q10 and probably the only reason most people would even consider this over the Z10 or any other device. I don't think I am actually typing faster on the hardware keyboard but I am definitely making less mistakes and don't have to rely on autocorrect and my recipients imagination to understand my writing. I will need a few weeks to decide if really benefit from using a hardware keyboard.
    • BB OS 10
      Just like on the Z10 I really enjoy the BB OS. The Hub, Active Frames and Swipe Gestures make this OS special. While iOS is easy to handle I prefer navigating through BB OS.

THE BAD
    • Display in sunlight
      I have never owned an AMOLED display before and while it looks great indoors I did not enjoy it at all outside in bright sunlight. Obviously all displays look bad in sunlight but on the Q10 I could not see anything at times. iPhone 1 to 5 and the Z10 are working a lot better in direct sunlight.
    • email fail
      I have mentioned before that the whole 30 day email and no server search on imap was the reason I ditched the Z10. Well sadly 10.1 did not change anything for me. On my imap account I still get 30 days of email without the ability to remotely search my server for older email. The BB Q10 is supposed to be a business phone and I expected it to be the best email device out there. I cannot understand how this isn't number 1 priority for BB to fix. Any android, windows 8 or iOS device can search for older email on an imap server.....
    • no app progress
      So I saw that skype arrived and was hoping the overall app situation improved a bit. I am not a big app user. I need whatsapp, facebook, skype, twitter, a banking app, news app and some sports apps. Whatsapp worked good on my Z10 and it works good on the Q10. It is still a bit light on the options but by far the best app out of the ones I need. Facebook, skype and twitter are horrible compared to their iOS version. I cannot really chat on facebook with the Q10. The fb messages in the hub appear like 30 minutes late. Two months have passed since I last used the Z10 and I really expected some progress in that area. There is still no usable banking app for my german bank account and none of the sports apps I have on my iPhone made it over to BB10.
    • iCloud sync
      This used to work quite good in 10.0.9 now with 10.1 I cannot get my icloud calendar to work at all. A bit of googling told me that I am not alone. I understand that iCloud is an apple product and I can't expect it to work flawlessly with BB. But icloud uses caldav and carddav and it used to work quite well.

CONCLUSION

The Q10 is a great looking device and I prefer its smaller footprint compared to the Z10 and all the other huge touchscreen devices. The physical keyboard is a joy to type on. Sadly BB OS 10.1 is not ready for me yet. If I'd trust BB enough to fix those obvious problems I would probably hold on to the Q10 and just wait a bit. But since they did not fix the email issue in the last 5 months, I seriously doubt they will ever do so. I really hope I am wrong though and that BB does well in the future (I do own some stocks). Maybe if the Z10 and Q10 sell well the app situation will improve. But as a customer I can't be expected to live with 30 days of email and no calendar sync (iCloud). Only the toughest BB fans will go through that.
    Thank you for your review! Nice to read and did shed some light on some issues I was considering regarding changing from the Z10 to the Q10.

You have helped me quite a bit there.
    I would appreciate some feedback on battery life!

Just one observation backing up Lynxs' comment :
    I am one of the lucky ones that use Exchange Active Sync for my work email. There they did provide the option for "forever" email on device (pic below).
    Also 10.1 Does give Imap 90 days sync (look at pic below). Just make sure you make a manual IMAP account set up and it should be there!
    The only type of email setup still on 30 days is POP.

I think that "5 months without addressing the issue" as some people stated is not accurate. They did work on that and word is that "forever" is coming on the rest of accounts as well. (i d say tweet M. Clewley and he should answer rather quick on their intentions on that).

These annotations on email just as points to check out, in case the 90days email on IMAP is sufficient for you. I think they will proceed with larget time span for this as well though.

Thanks for your review (I think I' ll stick with the Z10 for now)
    Attached Thumbnails Short Q10 review (former Z10 owner)-img_00001356.jpg   Short Q10 review (former Z10 owner)-img_00001355.jpg  
    05-27-13 01:32 PM
    Please DO read.

I did mention that I MAY be wrong in understanding about the 30 day limit.
    I suggested the BlackBerry browser option to highlight the RIDICULOUS option suggested by Python - borrowing friend's droid - set up email and forward it to yourself, delete email bla bla bla. I probably wouldn't have said anything had HIS POST not included the phrase "I'm NOT trying to be sarcastic"
    _________

Yes - IF the email DOES come with a 30 day expiry date - it IS a problem. I didn't say it wasn't.
    I have clearly pointed out that AS PER MY UNDERSTANDING (which I have said, may not be accurate given that I haven't owned the phone for 30 days).

You seem to be quoting my post in your response. Are you reading it? Because it sure doesn't look like it.
    For the daring few (I did that when I updated my OS but not up to doing it now): Download your emails on your phone. If you do that on May 28th, then go to settings and put date and time on manual. Change date to June 30th.... see your mails go away... with them any remember items associated by emails on inbox.

This was the behaviour in 10.0.x OS'. I have not tried with 10.1 and am not willing to do so. Nonetheless my money goes on your mail being deleted from your device on day 31 after it was delivered to your inbox.

That said, read above post where I give the pics on the email specs as per 10.1.

I believe forever is coming for POP and IMAP soon, but again: a quick tweet at Michael Clewley from BB should get you some updated feedback on the intentions.

Cheers.
    05-27-13 01:43 PM
    I have the Z10 and was waiting for the Q10. Now I have the Q10 as well. I installed my Email accounts, and must say, it is a nice phone (as I am quite used to keyboard instead of virtual keyboard). However, in comparison with the BB9900 I also use, it is not a business phone really. The BB9900 and all of the previous devices will let you quickly file off emails, write a new email (hit the E key for a new email- which on the Q10 does nothing), respond, file off (written messages can still not be filed away!!) emails and suggest folders (if the email address has been received before), and best of all, receive compressed emails (1.5KB) which the Q10 and Z10 dont do anymore (bad for your wallet when you are overseas).

So all in all, the Z10 and Q10 are nice devices, lovely gadgets, sought through GUI, but not (yet at least) a business phone -
    redantz likes this.
    05-27-13 01:54 PM
    Really gotta think now about making the Q10 switch
    05-27-13 03:31 PM
    I switched from the z10 and I'm so glad I did the keyboard is what brought me to the q nothing beats typing on a physical keyboard and also it is the look of it the true blackberry look.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 03:46 PM
    @currentodysseys

When I manually create an imap account my screen looks like this.

Short Q10 review (former Z10 owner)-img_00000010.png

As you can see I don't get the option of 90 days.

Sent from my Q10
    05-27-13 04:47 PM
    @currentodysseys

When I manually create an imap account my screen looks like this.

As you can see I don't get the option of 90 days.

Go to Settings/About/OS -- what are your Software Release and OS version numbers?
    05-27-13 05:20 PM

Sent from my Q10
    Last edited by buu511; 05-27-13 at 06:24 PM.
    05-27-13 06:02 PM

Sent from my Q10
    Now it makes sense. Your Q10 runs the 10.0.1version. The email days limit are only incremented on the 10.1.0 versions of the OS. You need to update your OS. Try settings->software update.

If that does not get you an update, then I suggest you load one of the leaked os files you can find in the forums or consult your provider on the next update they are going to launch for.your phone.

Updating to 10.1.0 os will get many more things improved than just your mail settings

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 06:15 PM
    My bad typo!

I have 10.1.0.238
    05-27-13 06:21 PM
    My bad typo!

I have 10.1.0.238
    Ok pheew... I was about to ask if you got an "early release" release unit... I cannot understand why you have that problem then... all q10 with 10.1.0 get those options to my knowledge... that is weird! obviously we are missing something here.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 06:33 PM
    Ok pheew... I was about to ask if you got an "early release" release unit... I cannot understand why you have that problem then... all q10 with 10.1.0 get those options to my knowledge... that is weird! obviously we are missing something here

It's possible that the initial release of the Q10 did not have that option, but most carriers should have pushed a 10.1.0.273 or thereabouts update at this point.

buu511: Who is your mobile carrier?

I see you posted into this thread but I didn't read the posts - shall I assume that you're in Germany and your carrier hasn't released .273 yet?
    05-27-13 06:51 PM
    I just want to chime in and point out that Google Apps (paid) with activesync works flawless. Infinite email search, instant sync, etc works perfect for calendar/contacts too.

So if you're really using it for business and your organization uses exchange you will be very happy.

On another note, if you use just free Gmail keep in mind BB10 supports instant "push" from Gmail (new emails) which iPhone does not (relies only on your imap sync interval). However BB10 is delayed in syncing read emails between devices (if I read all emails on my BB10 there is about a 10-15 min delay before they show as read on my other devices or webmail -- this depends on your imap sync interval). This is NOT an issue with active sync, only free Gmail imap.

For me it's more important to know instantly when I get a new email BB10 wins here, iOS drove me nuts for lacking that. But I really hope they fix the read/deleted sync speed.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 09:14 PM
144 12345 ...