Hello BB users.

Look i'm not gonna hold back in my question here at all.
    In how many ways is Blackberry safe for Chat and internet traffic.
    Now i know my phone can be tapped at any time i'm aware about that.
    But i have to communicate tru means of Whatsapp of BBM including all the files on my BB should be safe from any one else but myself.
    In other words if my BB would be confiscated by law, Nothing should be able to leak out of my device in any way.
    Not even from the BB servers.
    Because stuff i do is of questionably legality, Thats it in a nutshell plain and simple.

You proberbly know where this is going bu i need a safe and secure device and i need to be informed.
    Now i'm already here so i'm most likely looking in the right direction.

Greetings, The Legal Guy
    02-13-15 07:25 AM
    BlackBerry is NOT safe for chat (BBM) or "Internet traffic" (e.g. HTTP)

BBM can easily be sniffed and "decrypted" (the key is common amongst all BB devices in the world).
    Internet traffic is not more secure than on any other device.

Looking at the device it self, you should be safe if you encrypt the device with a strong (=long and complex) password.

In general: If you have information nobody else should see, never use electronic media for storage or transit.
    02-13-15 07:38 AM
    BlackBerry is NOT safe for chat (BBM) or "Internet traffic" (e.g. HTTP)

BBM can easily be sniffed and "decrypted" (the key is common amongst all BB devices in the world).
    Internet traffic is not more secure than on any other device.

Looking at the device it self, you should be safe if you encrypt the device with a strong (=long and complex) password.

In general: If you have information nobody else should see, never use electronic media for storage or transit.
    Please point out where I can find the common BBM key for decryption. Then explain or provide a link on how to decrypt BBM messages.

It's easy to sniff out bbm messages on a wifi network but what about a cellular network? How is that done?

Not being sarcastic or anything like that.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 07:48 AM
    No phone is completely safe, even the so called ultra secure Blackphone.

Maybe a chat client like Threema would do it, though I don't know how well the Android version works on Blackberry, I haven't tried it.
    phone-company likes this.
    02-13-15 07:52 AM
    Please point out where I can find the common BBM key for decryption. Then explain or provide a link on how to decrypt BBM messages.

It's easy to sniff out bbm messages on a wifi network but what about a cellular network? How is that done?

Not being sarcastic or anything like that.

Posted via CB10
    It is a common key, unless using BBM Protected which requires a BES and isn't included in the Silver licenses.
    BBRYQ10 likes this.
    02-13-15 08:01 AM
    You can either use BBM with BES or a chat client which implements OTR (Off-The-Record) protocol.
    02-13-15 10:33 AM
    Encryption of your local storage and SD-card is supposed to protect the data files stored locally.
    But who knows?, law enforcement might have its ways.

Frosty White Q10/10.3.1.2267 CB10 [Hopefully NOT Edited by admin to be fair lol. ]
    Last edited by jope28; 04-10-15 at 12:26 AM.
    02-13-15 01:20 PM
    You guys in here are not 'sniffing out' anyone's BBM messages and you're also not decrypting any BBM keys. LOL. LMAO x 2

Posted via CB10
    02-14-15 06:50 PM
    I thought bbm was secure. As in the device that receives the message has the key and only that device has the key. Not even blackberry has the key right?

Posted via CB10
    02-14-15 08:49 PM
    I thought bbm was secure. As in the device that receives the message has the key and only that device has the key. Not even blackberry has the key right?

Posted via CB10
    No. Public key. Even BB states that the communicationof BB is not encrypted, it s merelyscrambled. Bes communicationis secure, BB does NT have thosekeys.
    02-14-15 09:29 PM
    No. Public key. Even BB states that the communicationof BB is not encrypted, it s merelyscrambled. Bes communicationis secure, BB does NT have thosekeys.
    Well that sucks. So to have any security you would need BBM protect and you can't get that as a consumer I'm assuming.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-15 10:22 PM
    Well that sucks. So to have any security you would need BBM protect and you can't get that as a consumer I'm assuming.

Posted via CB10
    correct.
    02-14-15 10:30 PM
    this post read to me like this...... Hello police, I am trying to find out you can read my messages on BBM because I am worried you are going to find my business illegal and arrest me.. .And since I need this type of grade A security to secure my communications, I will post to a public forum about my shady practices... lol
    02-14-15 11:55 PM
    Sometimes BlackBerry fans can be BlackBerry' worst enemies. It took years to get the word out about BBM security on BIS, but now that it is finally out and BBM on BB10 is different it will probably take years to get the word out about that.

BBM Consumer on BBOS/BIS all uses the same symmetric triple-DES key. There is no encryption on the BIS carrier, but because BIS is supported with a BlackBerry node in the carrier's front end that connects to the BlackBerry data centre over a private channel, for the period it was far better security than any other consumer grade chat application. Not considered very good in this day and age. BBOS/BIS devices continue to operate this way so a BB10, Android, iOS etc user chatting with a BBOS user would have their messages exposed from the BlackBerry data centre to the BBOS device.

BBM Enterprise on BBOS/BES uses the same system for inter-enterprise or enterprise to consumer BBM. But the BES administrator can use a different key and AES instead of DES for intra-enterprise BBM messages.

BBM on BB10, Android, iOS etc uses the same triple-DES key to 'scramble' the message but the channel from the device to the BlackBerry data centre is protected by TLS. This still means that BlackBerry, or anyone with access to the data centre can read the traffic, but it can't be sniffed by your carrier, some one intercepting your carrier signal or someone hacking on a Wi-Fi hot spot, etc.

BBM Protectected on BES adds public/private key encryption for endpoint to endpoint encryption either inter-enterprise or intra-enterprise (assuming keys can be exchanged) messages.

How secure is BBM? - DHabkirk
    02-15-15 08:12 AM
    Sometimes BlackBerry fans can be BlackBerry' worst enemies. It took years to get the word out about BBM security on BIS, but now that it is finally out and BBM on BB10 is different it will probably take years to get the word out about that.

BBM Consumer on BBOS/BIS all uses the same symmetric triple-DES key. There is no encryption on the BIS carrier, but because BIS is supported with a BlackBerry node in the carrier's front end that connects to the BlackBerry data centre over a private channel, for the period it was far better security than any other consumer grade chat application. Not considered very good in this day and age. BBOS/BIS devices continue to operate this way so a BB10, Android, iOS etc user chatting with a BBOS user would have their messages exposed from the BlackBerry data centre to the BBOS device.

BBM Enterprise on BBOS/BES uses the same system for inter-enterprise or enterprise to consumer BBM. But the BES administrator can use a different key and AES instead of DES for intra-enterprise BBM messages.

BBM on BB10, Android, iOS etc uses the same triple-DES key to 'scramble' the message but the channel from the device to the BlackBerry data centre is protected by TLS. This still means that BlackBerry, or anyone with access to the data centre can read the traffic, but it can't be sniffed by your carrier, some one intercepting your carrier signal or someone hacking on a Wi-Fi hot spot, etc.

BBM Protectected on BES adds public/private key encryption for endpoint to endpoint encryption either inter-enterprise or intra-enterprise (assuming keys can be exchanged) messages.

How secure is BBM? - DHabkirk
    BkackBerry has always stated that BBM was scrambled and not encrypted. It has also always stated that for it to be encrypted the devices within the conversation had to be on the same BES with the encryption enabled in the policy. Just because 1 user is encrypted, does not mean the conversation is secure. If the other person is not encrypted the chat goes in the standard scrambled mode.
    02-15-15 08:33 AM
    BkackBerry has always stated that BBM was scrambled and not encrypted. It has also always stated that for it to be encrypted the devices within the conversation had to be on the same BES with the encryption enabled in the policy. Just because 1 user is encrypted, does not mean the conversation is secure. If the other person is not encrypted the chat goes in the standard scrambled mode.
    And BlackBerry has stated that cross platform and BB10 BBM is protected by TLS. Only the leg to the BBOS devices is only 'scrambled'.

So stating that BBM for consumers is not encrypted end to end is correct. Saying that BBM messages are only scrambled is not. With encryption the specifics are important. The devil, and the weaknesses, are in the details.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2072
    02-15-15 12:33 PM
    If suspected of an illegal activity, police will likely request a search warrant. If the questionable documentation was locked away in a safe in the house, would they not have a right to access it once given a warrant? Same would likely apply to your phone, computer, etc. Doing something which is unlawful carries risks and consequences you can only be 100% assured of protecting yourself from, by not engaging in those activities to begin with.
    02-15-15 01:02 PM