When I turn on the SD card encryption, all files on the SD will be encrypted and only readable from the device and it's password.
    I've one question about that: when I turn off the SD card encryption again, will all the files on the SD card automatically decrypted by the device and accessible again via a SD card reader or on another device?

Thank you!
    04-21-15 08:08 AM
    Yes.

The device even tells you so before you start.
    04-21-15 08:13 AM
    Yes and if you update your OS remember to turn encryption off first and after you can turn it back on again.
    04-21-15 08:20 AM
    Thank you for the answers!
    Can someone give me an estimation of how long it wil take to decrypt a 32 Gb SD card? And how can one see that all files are decrypted?
    04-21-15 08:23 AM
    Around 4-32 hours, depending on how full it is, the size of files, how many individual files. Usually takes as long as the encryption.

I don't remember if it notifies you. But just go to Security > Encryption and you'll see.
    04-21-15 02:27 PM
    It took almost 24 hours for a SD card of 32 Gb (approx. 60% full)...

Thank you all!
    04-22-15 06:35 AM
    Always wondered about this...

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 12:34 PM
    Yes and if you update your OS remember to turn encryption off first and after you can turn it back on again.
    Do you have to turn it off if you're doing an official update sent by the carrier? Also say I rename a video file in it's encrypted state (renamed while in USB mass storage mode). Will the file then become corrupted? I renamed some video files and am now unable to play them through device video player and when connected through BB link.
    05-01-15 12:40 AM
    Do you have to turn it off if you're doing an official update sent by the carrier? Also say I rename a video file in it's encrypted state (renamed while in USB mass storage mode). Will the file then become corrupted? I renamed some video files and am now unable to play them through device video player and when connected through BB link.
    I don't think an OTA update would effect it. I'm not sure about the renaming.

KB25484-Expectations when encryption is enabled for a media card in a BlackBerry smartphone
    05-01-15 05:50 AM
    An OTA update won't affect the encrypted SDCARD if all goes well. On the other hand if you have a problem and end up wiping the phone you will loose access to the files. This is why it is always a good idea to backup before an update. I've not had to use a backup on bb10 but I still do it.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2708 SR 10.3.1.1865
    05-01-15 03:21 PM
    Thank-you for the clarification on the OTA updates. But my next question is more pertinent to my current situation.

I had my device hooked up to my computer with USB Mass Storage mode enabled as I find it much faster to move between folders and for file organization. I renamed some encrypted video files and moved some others to a different location on the Media Card.

Now when I have my device hooked up to BB Link and viewing through the device Media Player the files are no longer accessible to view. The video files I renamed and location I changed are still there but I can't open them.

So my questions is. If you are to rename an encrypted file (video in this case} and or change it's location while working in Mass Storage mode. Does the file then become corrupted?
    05-01-15 05:47 PM
    Thank-you for the clarification on the OTA updates. But my next question is more pertinent to my current situation.

I had my device hooked up to my computer with USB Mass Storage mode enabled as I find it much faster to move between folders and for file organization. I renamed some encrypted video files and moved some others to a different location on the Media Card.

Now when I have my device hooked up to BB Link and viewing through the device Media Player the files are no longer accessible to view. The video files I renamed and location I changed are still there but I can't open them.

So my questions is. If you are to rename an encrypted file (video in this case} and or change it's location while working in Mass Storage mode. Does the file then become corrupted?
    You left out the most important piece of information: can the phone read the files.

I suspect it depends a lot on what the PC does exactly when you renamed or moved the files. Access through mass storage mode bypasses the phone software and allows the PC to access the storage directly. It is not aware of what the phone has done to the files. Add to this the fact that flash memory can't be edited in place and it becomes possible that the PC did something to corrupt the file.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2708 SR 10.3.1.1865
    05-02-15 08:02 AM