Hello all,

Ever since I installed the latest update for my blackberry Q10, I have been having this problem where when I make a phone call the screen no longer dims and it stays on.... has anyone else been having this issue?

It worked fine for weeks and now all of a sudden it is not working.

Also I always noticed beforehand there would always be a little flashing red light to the left of the top speaker whenever I made a phone call. Now it is not doing so when I make a phone call.

But it is very annoying since I keep hitting the touch screen buttons with my ear...

Any solutions! Thanks!
    08-30-13 09:52 PM
    Please provide more details such as your OS Version, carrier, etc.

Also, have you ever installed a leaked OS before and are you comfortable doing so?
    08-30-13 10:47 PM
    go to blackberry world and search for "blackberry virtual expert". this is a tool made by bb to diagnose issues. download the app and run it. look for the proximity sensor test. this will tell you if your sensor is working or not.
    08-30-13 11:45 PM
    So I downloaded the virtual expert and the light sensor was fine but the proximity sensor did not pick up my hand at all when I tried to do the test.

It's just very strange that now all of a sudden it is not working, when it worked fine for weeks. I never dropped the phone or anything.

Anyway I can fix this?

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 06:12 AM
    You can try a wipe and OS reload. Make sure you back everything up first.

Though, it looks like a hardware defect to me.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 01:04 PM
    Would a screen protector cause the issue at all? Although it is not covering where I saw those red lights flashing when it wasn't working?
    08-31-13 07:21 PM
    Not sure what you are talking about when you say red flashing lights, but the prox sensor is the centered rectangle (with rounded edges) right underneath the speaker grill. If I stare at it while the test is running, I can see a very dim circle blinking on the left side of the rectangle.

The screen protector should have no affect, but it doesnt hurt trying with it removed.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 07:47 PM
    i think it must be the hardware that is faulty. i have tried everything (removing the screen protector, uninstalling the OS). Very disappointing.
    08-31-13 08:33 PM
    That is a new one. Haven't heard that issue before.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-13 08:46 PM
    Hi guys,

I have a similar issue. My screen will not turn off with the proximity sensor during a phone call either. Hasn't for a while now with different OS versions. I'm currently on the latest 10.2.1.1925. The odd thing about mine is that the test in BBVE passes. I can place my hand close and far and it reacts as it should. It's only the phone calls that don't turn the screen off, even though you can see the infra-red flicking for the proximity sensor. Any ideas?
    01-29-14 07:23 AM
    Not sure what you are talking about when you say red flashing lights, but the prox sensor is the centered rectangle (with rounded edges) right underneath the speaker grill. If I stare at it while the test is running, I can see a very dim circle blinking on the left side of the rectangle.

The screen protector should have no affect, but it doesnt hurt trying with it removed.

Posted via CB10
    That's odd, where'd u get ur Q10? My sensors are to the left and right of the speaker grill.

Posted by a proud NRA supporter
    01-29-14 11:07 AM
    Hi

My wife's Q10 is also not dimming on a call and the amount of times she is either cutting the call, muting the call or trying to start a video call is getting annoying.

It's a Q10 on Vodafone, OS 10.2.0.429 and the problem seemed to start happening a couple of OS updates back. I have just tried blackberry virtual assistant and on the light sensor when it asks to hover finger for dim value - it doesn't work.

Does anybody have any ideas or should I just get Vodafone involved.

Thanks

Martin
    01-29-14 02:57 PM
    Reflash firmware, had the same with incorrect install of the leak a couple of weeks ago. Reinstalling the OS fixed the issue with the proximity sensor.

Posted via BlackBerry Q10
    01-29-14 03:03 PM
    I have the same problem on and off. Usually goes away after a battery pull but would prefer not to have to do this! I am on the latest os, no leaks...just valid updates from Telus. Not happy that this happens as I tend to have very annoyed people on the other end when I keep hanging up on 'em! How to fix this sensor problem???

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 04:57 AM
    Having the same problem!
    Phone warranty expires in exactly 1 month so next week I'm gonna hit a BlackBerry Center

I tried reloading the same os, new os, BBVE, etc. Nothing solved it.
    The only thing that fixed it (only once and then reappeared) was disabling the "position" feature in BBM.
    02-01-14 09:18 AM
    Reflash firmware, had the same with incorrect install of the leak a couple of weeks ago. Reinstalling the OS fixed the issue with the proximity sensor.

Posted via BlackBerry Q10
    I can't count how many times I've refreshed my device. Hasn't fixed it yet. Mine's only with phone calls too. BBVE tests pass no problem.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 02:57 PM
    Are people still having this problem? Any new solutions lately?
    07-09-14 07:08 AM
    Are people still having this problem? Any new solutions lately?
    I am still having the issue. Update after update, nothing new. BBVE still shows it works fine. Just not when on a call. Frustrating at best.
    07-10-14 07:51 AM
    So it must be a software issue?
    07-12-14 12:12 PM
    Could be connection problem. I went to repair my keyboard for the double click issue and the repair guy must have cleaned dust of something off the connectors when he fixed the keyboard. Haven't experienced the problem since. its been a few weeks now.
    07-25-14 09:25 AM
    I am still having the issue. Update after update, nothing new. BBVE still shows it works fine. Just not when on a call. Frustrating at best.
    Have you guys tried calling someone and using your finger or hand as the test to black out the screen. Same as BBVE but while on a phone call?

If so and you haven't done this then try it: perform a back up via link. Then perform a security wipe. Settings > security and privacy. Not reload OS. (this can take hours so recommend you do it at night). Once complete make a phone call and see if it works.

If so re install your back up from link. Try again. If working then good. If not then a problem with your back up. You'll have to TS. Maybe an app you guys all have?

Posted from my awesome Q10
    07-25-14 07:03 PM
    So here's an annoying update. This whole time, the BBVE had no issues to pass the test. The sensitivity was perfect. About 20 minutes ago, I noticed my screen protector was slid to the side so I decided to remove it. Once I cleaned off the screen, I thought I might as well test a call... low and behold, the screen protector WAS the issue. Honestly, this doesn't make sense to me since the BBVE always worked perfectly fine. The Phone app must require a certain value to be returned from the sensor that the BBVE doesn't. That would be the only explanation I can think of. Anyhow, I had some screen protectors kicking around so I put one on. I do notice that these have the area cut out for the proximity sensor, whereas the previous did not.
    10-13-14 05:29 PM