Dear RIM!

I was browsing thru your websites and trying to find a way to tell you what has to be implemented into new N-Series. Just trying to make your future users happy (including myself) and give you last chance of surviving this game! I hope I'm not being completely naive and someone can pass these info to people who are working on new OS...

1. First of all I have no idea why we would have to wait longer for keyboard version, if RIM will survive it will be because people will buy bb with keyboards mostly, anyone else is already using iOS and android anyway...
    2. Battery life has to be at least decent!
    3. Camera - my bold 9900 camera makes me cry! I hope this is last time we don't have auto focus!
    4. UMA/Wi-Fi calling has to be there!
    5. Apps (nobody needs) - I don't care about "instagrams, angry birds or find my car" and other funny progs
    6. Apps (WE NEED) - if QL is not available I'm moving to another platform right away, this appt is increasing my productivity so much. Others we need: calendar theme, google maps, weather, flashlight, dictionary, podtrapper.
    7. Notifications are great but still room for improvement - popping up Bluetooth notifications when phone is connecting to my car navi are so annoying , especially in the middle of writing something

Dear forum readers: please add your wishes and don't waste or time joking from this post and my poor English skills ;-) Thanks.
    magutwit likes this.
    01-01-13 09:24 PM
    The developer of Podtrapper has been MIA for over a year now on the Android version. Sadly, I don't see a rewrite for BB10 in that app's future....
    01-02-13 07:36 PM
    Dear RIM!

I was browsing thru your websites and trying to find a way to tell you what has to be implemented into new N-Series. Just trying to make your future users happy (including myself) and give you last chance of surviving this game! I hope I'm not being completely naive and someone can pass these info to people who are working on new OS...

1. First of all I have no idea why we would have to wait longer for keyboard version, if RIM will survive it will be because people will buy bb with keyboards mostly, anyone else is already using iOS and android anyway...

This has been addressed many times, RIM needs to release the full touch version first so it can be reviewed on its own merits by all the bloggers and tech review sites etc, as it represents the new RIM. The keyboard version is mostly for existing users, it's good that they are doing it, but if it were to come out first as the face of BB10, it would be viewed as ""more of the same" which would be a death sentence.

2. Battery life has to be at least decent!

3. Camera - my bold 9900 camera makes me cry! I hope this is last time we don't have auto focus!

5. Apps (nobody needs) - I don't care about "instagrams, angry birds or find my car" and other funny progs

What you don't need others call a necessity and vice versa

6. Apps (WE NEED) - if QL is not available I'm moving to another platform right away, this appt is increasing my productivity so much. Others we need: calendar theme, google maps, weather, flashlight, dictionary, podtrapper.

7. Notifications are great but still room for improvement - popping up Bluetooth notifications when phone is connecting to my car navi are so annoying , especially in the middle of writing something

The bluetooth pop has a "do not display again" checkbox...

Dear forum readers: please add your wishes and don't waste or time joking from this post and my poor English skills ;-) Thanks.
    That said, I believe the phone is finished.. the time for changes or suggestions are long passed.
    antiRIM, Cesare21 and Humga Chan like this.
    01-02-13 08:01 PM
    Good suggestions although I do really want a good selection of games
    01-02-13 09:36 PM
    If you don't care about instagram pple coming from the android and iOS do a whole deal so ur suggestion is rather selfish
    just_luc likes this.
    01-02-13 09:54 PM
    If you don't care about instagram pple coming from the android and iOS do a whole deal so ur suggestion is rather selfish
    +1

I don't personally care about instagram either.. in fact I hate it.. Instagram is the single worst thing to happen to photography in our lifetime.. BUT I understand that many people (stupid as they may be) use it.. and I want the most people on BB10 possible.. so I want it to be there, I just won't download it.
    magutwit likes this.
    01-02-13 10:20 PM
    +1

I don't personally care about instagram either.. in fact I hate it.. Instagram is the single worst thing to happen to photography in our lifetime.. BUT I understand that many people (stupid as they may be) use it.. and I want the most people on BB10 possible.. so I want it to be there, I just won't download it.
    So any app you don't fancy is automatically for stupid pple? I'm getting you
    01-02-13 10:40 PM
    So any app you don't fancy is automatically for stupid pple? I'm getting you
    No, not at all.. there are MANY apps I don't have any interest in that are fine.. just not for me.. except instagram.. it's for stupid people..

This article sums up my views pretty well.. I Finally Figured Out Why You Like Instagram So Much — Backpacking Dad

I Finally Figured Out Why You Like Instagram So Much
    by Backpacking Dad

You’ve seen the Instagr.am photos, yes? They’re everywhere. It’s some stupid iPhone app that lets you ruin your pictures. You can take a perfectly good photo and turn it into something that was left sitting out in the sun for a week. Yay.

People love this stupid thing. People I like love this stupid thing. People I respect love this stupid thing. Professional photographers, enthusiastic amateurs, drive-by snappers, they all love having the ability to wash out their pictures with one of the many filters Instagr.am offers. At first I just didn’t get it. Then I thought “Maybe it’s just the hipsters.” Why the hipsters? Why not. Hipsters suck.

But it’s not just the hipsters. It’s everyone. And the reason it’s everyone is that everyone has a very, very mistaken idea about the look they are obtaining.

Instagr.am photo filters let you turn excellent representations of the world around you into things that resemble the pictures that were in the photo albums you had when you were a kid, or the iconic images of a revolutionary world. You associate the look of those old photos with family, love, and history. The old Polaroids speak to 5 year old you and say “The world used to be nothing but Christmas mornings and summer evenings, playing on the grass.” They speak to your 20 year old pomposity and say “People used to be so much more intellectual in the 60′s and 70′s. Remember ‘Blow Up’? Now that was film-making. Where are all the turtlenecks now?” So now, when you filter with the Instagr.am app you shortcut your way to all of those feelings. Instagr.am counts on it. They count on your willingness to actually modify your current presentation of the world so that it seems imbued with all of the family, love, and history that came with taking a picture with a really ****ty camera and leaving it to rot for a while because your parents were busy making dinner and couldn’t always move the photos from the box-o’-photos into actual albums. They count on your willingness to actually reject the world around you in favour of the past, because you remember that in the past you had no cares, and the adults who had all the cares seemed to do so much more with their time and energy, walking on the moon and protesting segregation.

I know, I know. Photos are all lies, in a way. Nothing captures the world as it is, everything is filtered, blah blah blah. Instagr.am is worse than choosing where to focus. Suck it, hipster.

This is an easy world to want to reject: it’s full of weirdness and violence and boredom and responsibility. But it’s also genuine. It’s as genuine to you as the world was to the people taking pictures of it thirty years ago, when you were little and the center of it. Why don’t we all just drink it in a little? Take a picture with some god damned colour in it. Roses are red, violets are blue, I hate Instagr.am and you should too.
    01-02-13 10:47 PM
    I dont need it.

I care about Instagram and I want it.
    I dont need podtrapper.
    01-03-13 12:36 AM
    Just to chime in, and avoiding the "need" portion of the thread as it's very subjective...

Marcus from PodTrapper did stick his head above the parapet in October just gone to say that he was still about (following real life getting in the way of App work!), and that he was looking at some updates. Nothing since, but he does still exist.
    01-03-13 02:44 AM
    I love people just assume they know better than people whose jobs are on the line.

I mean come on, do you really think RIM does NOT know about the points you mentioned? Do you think that they're aliens? Just look at what they've done with BB10!

THEY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING - JUST SIT BACK AND RELAX!
    just_luc likes this.
    01-03-13 01:14 PM
    Stop demanding specific apps as if someone at RIM could go "This user needs this app. We need to target this app specifically because one person who might buy the phone wants this app." The main apps(ones that most people want) will be there.
    01-03-13 05:06 PM
    hi "just_luc"! see the picture attached - no "do not display" checkbox... let me know if you know how to get rid of that, I've had it forever... and it is more annoying than wi-fi notifications in the middle of the ipad screen ;-)RIM! This is what BlackBerry N-Series should represent !-bluetooth-notification.jpg

re Instagram: ;-)

finally, I hope there will be some good way to quick activate apps and do other productive stuff because QL is not coming...;-( this is what I received from his developer:
    "Hi. Thanks. Unfortunately there will be no QL on bb10. I tried to do it but there are too many restrictions on bb10 and no widgets and not much access to system functions etc. I guess this is why all the apps I've seen so far are just content apps like weather and Web related stuff. Lame. Time for you to go android like I did."
    01-03-13 08:07 PM
    hi "just_luc"! see the picture attached - no "do not display" checkbox... let me know if you know how to get rid of that, I've had it forever... and it is more annoying than wi-fi notifications in the middle of the ipad screen ;-)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bluetooth notification.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	130231

I assumed you were talking about the connect yes/no screen .. you can select don't show again and click yes so you don't have to action the bluetooth request, but it appears you've already done that if you're getting this screen.. the one you're talking about just pops up for a second and goes away all on it's own.. i've never found it to be a bother, but you are correct.. there is no way to stop it from displaying to my knowledge.

re Instagram: ;-)

Ha!

finally, I hope there will be some good way to quick activate apps and do other productive stuff because QL is not coming...;-( this is what I received from his developer:
    "Hi. Thanks. Unfortunately there will be no QL on bb10. I tried to do it but there are too many restrictions on bb10 and no widgets and not much access to system functions etc. I guess this is why all the apps I've seen so far are just content apps like weather and Web related stuff. Lame. Time for you to go android like I did."
    This developer is obviously a *********.. time for you to go android like I did? Time for you to kiss my ***! And while i'm not a dev myself, I've yet to hear from anyone else that BB10 is more restrictive to develop for then BBOS was.. in fact quite the opposite, dev's are raving about the api's and frameworks available.. I would say the real reason there will be no quick launch on BB10 is there would be no point to it without the side convenience key.. you're waking up the screen no matter what, so why not just line up your most used apps on the screen for easy access?
    01-03-13 11:02 PM
    Yes OP, you are being na�ve, haha. Little late to be giving RIM advice.
    01-07-13 07:49 AM
    [QUOTE=just_luc;7820578]No, not at all.. there are MANY apps I don't have any interest in that are fine.. just not for me.. except instagram.. it's for stupid people..

why is it for stupid people?
    01-07-13 08:53 AM
    +1

What a joke. You don't like an app so people that use that app are stupid. You are saying that people that like to put cool filters on their pictures are stupid. Get the **** over yourself, you giant *******.
    anon(5506951) likes this.
    01-08-13 04:23 AM
    re instagram .... I had no idea about all this .

No, not at all.. there are MANY apps I don't have any interest in that are fine.. just not for me.. except instagram.. it's for stupid people..

This article sums up my views pretty well.. I Finally Figured Out Why You Like Instagram So Much — Backpacking Dad
    01-11-13 01:34 PM
    lol a developer that cant do quicklaunch on BB10 when theres a whole invocation framework built into the OS!!
    Cesare21 likes this.
    01-11-13 02:55 PM
    lol a developer that cant do quicklaunch on BB10 when theres a whole invocation framework built into the OS!!
    I second this. People have little or no idea about the invocation framework. I'm not a developer myself, but after reading through a post/thread on CB a while back, I fully understood how it works and how powerful this framework is. Here's the link for those who missed it:

invocation framework
    01-11-13 04:21 PM
    I need native support to lotus notes and exchange server... with same time and Skype working good. .... who needs faceboo and all those virtual social things.... ... BB for enterprise....
    01-12-13 11:55 PM
    I need native support to lotus notes and exchange server... with same time and Skype working good. .... who needs faceboo and all those virtual social things.... ... BB for enterprise....
    Actually, Facebook and Twitter are used quite a lot in the enterprise sector so your view is flawed there.
    01-13-13 02:59 PM
    Actually, Facebook and Twitter are used quite a lot in the enterprise sector so your view is flawed there.
    Agreed.

Social media is here to stay, and its my primary form of communication for many people I have met once or twice but don't have a phone number for. A guy I worked with for two weeks three months ago is on my Facebook and my LinkedIn and such, but I wouldn't call him out of the blue if I wanted to pick his brain about something.

Also, I run the social media feeds for my company. So yeah, I can do my job a lot better with those on my phone.

As for the OP's rediculous demands:

The full-touch version is the flagship. RIM is competing in a full touch market. They need to push it out the door first, because that's where most of the attention need to be put. That's a market thing. It annoys me to have to wait too, but it is what it is. Launching two devices on the same day means that all the coverage gets confused. Anyone who wants a keyboard BB will buy one anyway. Anyone who doesn't... well thats a way harder fight for RIM, and those people need to see the new blackberry as being a device that is very much like the devices they have used in the past.

The camera will be better. They spent a lot of money to improve the software there, it will be vastly improved.

UMA is a carrier thing, not a RIM thing. Most carriers don't support it because it loses them money (people are almost never outside of WiFi range these days) and they want people to use their minutes not UMA.

As for the specific apps you want... Calender themes isn't an app. You mean 'a calender'. BB10 will have a calender. If the inability to make that calender pink with Hello Kitties on it is a deal breaker, then that's your own business. As for the others... Its a fair bet that if the app exists on BB7, we'll have it on BB10. So Google maps will be there. We might even get a sideloaded version with navigation. Weather, flashlight, dictionary and podcasts... Do you think BB10 is actively trying to be worse than BB7 ? Yes, it will have weather. Yes there will be a button to turn on the flash to make it a flashlight. Yes, someone will make a dictionary app. Yes there will be a way to get podcasts. Way to reach for the sky buddy.

As for any apps being for stupid people... Well... Screw you OP. Aside from anything else RIM doesn't make the vast majority of the apps. They make some for sure, and they are involved with big first party apps, but mostly its 3rd party developers making things. Some of them are trash, some of them are niche, some of them are great. That's the same on every platform.

Here's a story about apps that most people think are stupid:

My mum, since retiring from teaching, has taken up a part time job showing school parties around the local dockyard; a lot of the local history comes from the naval tradition of the dockyard, and she teaches the kids that 2 days a week. A suitable enough job for a retired primary school teacher you might think. Thing is, she doesn't know much about the navy. And one of the activities they do at the dockyard is teach the kids semaphore with flags, something that my mum hadn't ever seen the need to learn, so she had to pick it up. How did she do that ? There's an Android app that teaches it. Now a lot of people wouldn't see the need for that app. They might think its stupid. If I had been casually browsing the google play store and seen it, I would have shown it people and said 'Wow isn't that stupid' But some developer somewhere in the world figured he'd make it, because he was bored, or loves semaphore, or saw a huge gap in the market in terms of flag-based communication. And my mum got it and it helped her do her job better. Any app looks stupid to people who don't want or need it. Any app that actually survives (gets good ratings, continues to update etc) is not stupid to the people who use it.

Personally I think that almost all mobile games are terrible. I particularly have a vendetta against Triple Town (my girlfriend plays it in bed with the sound on). I have told her about once a day since it showed up in her life that it's a crappy game, and I have no idea why she enjoys it. But she does. It's fun for her, and for a LOT of other people. So who the **** am I to say its stupid?
    01-13-13 06:24 PM