Hello CrackBerry Community!

As it was recently posted (a few weeks back), AT&T was offering an unbelievable and unmissable deal on their BlackBerry Q10 cases! I managed to pick up the OtterBox Defender and Commuter (very lucky to have been able to get my hands on the Commuter!). I also got the BlackBerry White Hard Shell case but I will keep this review to the OtterBoxes only.

OtterBox Defender

REVIEW: OtterBox Defender & Commuter Cases-bdotcom-blackberry-q10-otterbox-defender-series-case-black-bdotcom-1306-10-bdotcom-2.jpg
    - This is a three-piece, rugged and military-grade case. The innermost layer is a plastic shell that snaps into each other, the outer layer of the case is a matte finish, grippy yet not too grippy silicone layer. The third layer is a holster, but it's optional (as the phone is more pocketable than previous OtterBox Defender cases (i.e. iPhone 4)).

My experience with this case for about a week and some made me fall in love with it. It is bulky, there's no denying it, but to be honest, it's also bulky in a "yeah, I can deal with it" kind of way. It feels great on the hands, and it does not interfere with the keyboard. The holster is amazing, I hated the iPhone 4 holster and I tried out this holster and I fell in love with it! The clicky sound it makes to let you know it's in there securely, alongside the magnet that sleeps/wakes your device when you place it in or take it out of the holster is a plus. The phone was not dropped, but I did experience intense peace of mind, and it gave me an extra pocket .

Overall, the case is a great daily driver, especially if your day consists of hard work, and a lot of mobility.

Overall: 9.5/10

OtterBox Commuter

REVIEW: OtterBox Defender & Commuter Cases-bdotcom-blackberry-q10-otterbox-commuter-series-case-black-bdotcom-1306-10-bdotcom-3.jpg
    A week after I ordered my Defender, I was snooping on AT&T's website, and then my heart stopped.... the words 'OUT OF STOCK' were no longer listed under the OtterBox Commuter. I ordered it as soon as I could. I got the case mid-week (ordered on a Saturday) and swapped out the Defender to take it for a test drive.

Might I say... this case feels so good in the hands. It is only millimeters thinner than the Defender, yet it feels a like a world of difference. Again, the Defender feels great in the hand, but the Commuter feels better.

The case consists of two layers, an inner layer that is silicone, and the outer layer which is plastic. Basically, their layer layouts (mouthful) between the Defender and Commuter are ying-yang. .

This case does not have a holster, which is why the plastic is on the outside (to make it super pocketable).

Overall: 9.8/10, this case is great for daily use, as well as weekends, it looks amazing!

Takeaways: OtterBox makes great cases, and they are one of the most respected and reputable brands among mobile phone cases. The screen protectors in each picture are optional, if you buy them from the official OtterBox Website come with a free screen protector. But for $5 each case, I could care less for a screen protector.

These cases are no exception, they are bar-none, especially for the prices they were going for ($5.00 each). They are great cases and even the Commuter is worth $35 if you really need a great case.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
    Cranky likes this.
    01-25-14 10:09 PM
    Good to hear.

I recently got to try out the Commuter for my Z30 and it was quite nice. Just a tad bulky for my taste, but not by much.
    I really like the cutout on the back for the BB logo. Too bad the Q10 version doesn't have that.

Conversely the Defender for the Z10 is horrid. I've never seen a case so bad for the UX on a phone.
    01-25-14 10:14 PM
    Good to hear.

I recently got to try out the Commuter for my Z30 and it was quite nice. Just a tad bulky for my taste, but not by much.
    I really like the cutout on the back for the BB logo. Too bad the Q10 version doesn't have that.

Conversely the Defender for the Z10 is horrid. I've never seen a case so bad for the UX on a phone.
    I think what kills the Defender for the Z was the built in screen protector

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    Elite1 likes this.
    01-25-14 10:41 PM
    Great review,
    I came across the same deal (Thanks to Crackberry and whoever posted it)
    Same thing also happened to me, I ordered the Defender , but Commuter was out of stock. A week later I was surprised to see Commuter was back in stock. So , I ordered it too.
    While I have not received the Commuter yet, I am very impressed with the Defender. I had both for the 9700, I loved them.
    I find this model Defender to be better than the 9700, its thinner of course, but the outer layer is made out of a different material. Its not as sticky and rubbery, and the outer layer seems to clip into inner layer better.
    Also the design of the plugs that go over the charger port and head phones is a much better design. It seems to lift in and out of place very smooth

Thanks again for the notice of the AT&T sale !!! After trying at least the Defender for now - I would pay full price, to me them seem well worth it!!
    01-26-14 10:21 AM
    I bought commuters for my Z30 and Q10 over the Xmas holidays. Scooped them off Crackberry Store and even though I didn't pay 5$ each they are worth every penny if you want a tough case that protects your phone! Only gripe I have is the fiddly port covers but they serve their purpose!

Posted via CB10 on the Z30
    01-26-14 10:43 AM
    beautiful case and it look strong

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___
    iphone 5s prix ipad air
    Last edited by winchester5454; 01-26-14 at 04:51 PM.
    01-26-14 11:00 AM
    The cases are beautiful, I'm currently using my Defender, I am compensating the bulk with the way it feels in the hand... both are great cases

01-26-14 12:10 PM
    I am waiting on my commuter to get here from at&t. I am currently using the glacier type incipio one which I really like, but I couldn't pass up the $5 deal that att had going on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    01-26-14 07:19 PM
    Love my Defender case especially since I paid $5 for it. That being said I prefer to have my BlackBerry Hard Shell on my Q10. White on white looks to good, Lol. I do have a screen protector installed as well.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 08:47 PM
    I am waiting on my commuter to get here from at&t. I am currently using the glacier type incipio one which I really like, but I couldn't pass up the $5 deal that att had going on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    You're going to love the commuter!!!

I like the Hardshell, but it has no lip :/

01-26-14 10:17 PM
    Thanks for the great review! I've had the Q10 Commuter since launch and have used it sparingly on very specific occasions that require some extra protection and have loved it!

I never really considered getting the Defender until the killer AT&T sale came up and so right away I ordered it and shipped it to a friend's in NC since AT&T is anti-Canadian! I can't wait for it to arrive now and am looking forward to the opportunity to use it in a rugged setting -- I'm thinking Super Bowl party where everyone's drunk and bumping into each other and knocking things over!

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 10:41 PM
    These cases WILL SCRATCH YOUR PHONE. I keep my Q impeccable, and when I removed it bc sometimes i enjoy going naked, I saw the marks where the inner plastic case braces the phone. I used the defender btw.

Posted from my Q. The tuxedo of smartphones.
    I think they are more marks from the plastic, not scratches, as the phone does not move in the case... it's just pressure stains, happened on my iPhone 4 as well, it's not a big deal to me. Plus, most of the time only the owners know the blemishes

01-26-14 11:03 PM
    I am actually really conflicted between the Defender and the Commuter

It seems that Defender is actually cheaper on Ebay and Amazon even though Otterbox website sells the Defender more expensive, so that means people actually prefer the commuter more then?

I already have a Nokia N8 with Otterbox commuter on, so I am quite used to the thickness of these cases.

However, I do like the look of the defender better, while I assume the commuter would be easier to put in and out of pocket due to its hard outer shell.
    For the peeople who have defender currently, does the case stick to the insides of your pocket when you try to take the phone out??

For the same or a cheaper price for a defender, which one would you go for?
    01-28-14 12:10 AM
    I like the commuter on the q10 although it makes it harder to hit the puter keys like q,a and so on.... trying the normal leather case now

Posted with my Q10 on 10.2.0.429
    01-28-14 12:33 AM
    Great review !

I'm going to upgrade to a Q10 soon, I'm in the construction logistics industry and i only use covers when i have to go on the field, but that was only the case when i was using an iPhone for my second line, my daily driver was a legacy indestructible BB and it never made me feel like it needed a case of any sort.

For the iPhone, i had the Case-Mate Tough Case and it was amazing except for one annoying flaw, the rubbery inner layer which goes under the exterior hard shell sticks out to hug the screen which is great but ... i had a bad time sliding the phone in and out of my pocket as it was a bit sticky and always welcomed all sorts of lint and fine dirt to stick to it, used to clean it every once and a while but it eventually started to get saggy which looked horrible and lost its purpose.

Is this by any chance the same for the commuter?

Thanks ...
    01-28-14 12:54 AM
    I like the defender case itself but the holster IMO leaves something to be desired. To me it doesn't feel like a solid snap in action with it. That would be my only criticism of the package. I bought my wife a defender (that she does not use) for her iphone 5 and it is a world of difference how those phones snap in. Feels much more solid with the iphone 5.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 04:30 AM
    Great review !

I'm going to upgrade to a Q10 soon, I'm in the construction logistics industry and i only use covers when i have to go on the field, but that was only the case when i was using an iPhone for my second line, my daily driver was a legacy indestructible BB and it never made me feel like it needed a case of any sort.

For the iPhone, i had the Case-Mate Tough Case and it was amazing except for one annoying flaw, the rubbery inner layer which goes under the exterior hard shell sticks out to hug the screen which is great but ... i had a bad time sliding the phone in and out of my pocket as it was a bit sticky and always welcomed all sorts of lint and fine dirt to stick to it, used to clean it every once and a while but it eventually started to get saggy which looked horrible and lost its purpose.

Is this by any chance the same for the commuter?

Thanks ...
    Commuter is definitely better at being pocketed

01-28-14 07:12 AM
    Commuter is definitely better at being pocketed

Thanks! Hink I'll get for the tough jobs.
    01-29-14 11:16 AM